Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 7, 5:34 PM
Mar 2024
Most people are still unaware that Goodshow production is set to close. There is another reddit post on this. https://www.reddit.com/r/datealive/comments/1bw1966/the_end_of_the_franchise/
Do I think this is the permanent end of the dal anime franchise. No, and the international fanbase can salvage the situation with a final movie.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2157242

I want to emphasize that Goodshow never had to dedicate resources to animate date a bullet and dal iv or dal v. They had a successful launch. If things were going downhill, they could return the license and shutdown the game early. That will prevent them from bleeding cash and they still get all the profits. This is what licensors such as crunchyroll, square enix, aniplex, bandai, nexon are notorious for doing. When it comes to games, it is a pretty common trend for a bunch of people who pre-register to try the game and then Uninstall a while later. This is why a ton of games shutdown within a year. Companies are aware of this so they will get as much as they can at launch and jump ship as soon as things slip. An example was with crunchyroll with mass of dead, priconne. As much as players say they won't play a game from a big publisher again, they will do it. We know they will. Big publishers have money, can grab big ips, put 3d graphics, etc. GoodShow was never a big developer. They were pretty much a fan created team. Even when revenue was record low, they were trying to hold on and keep the game going.

2019, dal was already a 6 year old anime ip (8 if you consider the light novel). The light novel were nearing the end. The manga ended very early on. There was already almost a 4 year gap between mayuri judgment. You simply were not going to get as much people interested as a hit new show. People get older, they have more responsibilities, they are certainly not online as often. Sure you will have a few people that say "I have been watching since 2011" but those people will inevitably be replaced by a bunch of newer fans. The anime industry knows this so you will rarely see light novel adaptations go past 10 years. Already dal was suffering a roadblock.

Too many new hit shows would have released in the same time frame. It is a common joke that the anime community's favorite anime changes every season. When My Hero Academia released, everyone was praising it as the best thing ever now people largely mock it.

Kadokawa found new hits in stuff like overlord, re zero, konosuba, Shield Hero etc. Shows like dal, index were already aging.

Financing anime is an expensive and difficult task. You need several hundred million yen for a single 12 cours anime. You need to promote the show, get merchandising deals, go against criticism from the internet. You often need a massive publisher's help. A big one like aniplex, kadokawa, kodansha, You rarely ever hear an anime almost solely funded by an independent game studio. Heck even major studios like mihoyo are stingy about funding animes. Animes that lead to games almost never seem to work. We have seen this with Takt Op, Engage Kiss and many others.

Goodshow pretty much put their entire company on the line to fund the franchise. They didn't care about the money. Otherwise they could have shut the game sometime shortly after season 3, and ran off with the money. They knew funding entire seasons was a risky endeavor especially for an independent. They did it anyways because they cared that much for the franchise and community. You will probably never get a group that is willing to stick out its neck for the community. They grew the franchise, community, gave us amazing figures. They helped give us 11 years of good memories. Those 11 years cannot be replaced.

I am glad goodshow is transparent and tells us the cold heart reality. Most production committees give you false hope to reap profits. They will tell you if you want future seasons, keep buying the merchandise and light novel, but never follow through. The transparency and honesty lead me to purchase their first and final figure.
May 7, 8:50 PM
Dec 2022
well, it was good while it lasted but still peak and hopefully, they adapt more.
May 7, 9:47 PM
Apr 2021
This post Clarification on Producers already explains about Date a Live Season 5. Kadokawa is not part of anime production; they are part of marketing anime, so do not worry.
Also last week, you might not know This Date a live season 5, was number #1 onAnime Trending

It is even number #1 on the Anime Corner and Sugai Topic.

This anime trending post was shared by @date_a_info (Official Japanese Date a live) and @KoshiTachibana (Author of Date a live LightNovel)

also Last episode was trending in Japan
So next season is already greenlit by productions, just wait for Final Episode 12.
RoyalDemon05May 7, 9:52 PM
May 7, 10:22 PM
Sep 2021
and yet most of western anime fans don't care about ecchi and harem anime and consider them " trash " and never take them seriously
May 7, 10:31 PM
Apr 2021
Reply to Saimatsu_Fan
and yet most of western anime fans don't care about ecchi and harem anime and consider them " trash " and never take them seriously
@Saimatsu_Fan which is a good thing because I don't wanna see something like this from my date a live anime.
If Western does not care about Ecchi and Harem anime and considers them "trash, "it is not my problem as long as we are getting seasons of my favorite anime.
May 7, 10:33 PM
Sep 2021
RoyalDemon05 said:
@Saimatsu_Fan which is a good thing because I don't wanna see something like this from my date a live anime.
If Western does not care about Ecchi and Harem anime and considers them "trash, "it is not my problem as long as we are getting seasons of my favorite anime.

oh yeah the anime designs for kaijuu 8-gou suck ass
May 7, 11:07 PM
Mar 2022
Saimatsu_Fan said:

a lot of people consider anime being cartoon what do u even expect?
May 7, 11:31 PM
Jan 2023
RoyalDemon05 said:

I mean, ecchi/harem anime genre contains like 3 good shows. In general it’s just a poorly written fantasy genre. Which, don’t get me wrong, I like me some harem, but to say it’s objectively good would just be wrong.
May 7, 11:37 PM
Sep 2021
ayogami_M said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

I'm specifically talking about ecchi and harem shows
May 7, 11:39 PM
Sep 2021
TheBacc20 said:
RoyalDemon05 said:

I mean, ecchi/harem anime genre contains like 3 good shows. In general it’s just a poorly written fantasy genre. Which, don’t get me wrong, I like me some harem, but to say it’s objectively good would just be wrong.

there's no such thing as " objectively good/bad " piece of media

even trash like rent a GF and Boruto is still liked by many people, and " peak fiction " like full metal alchemist and H x H is not liked by many

saying that x is objectively good/bad also makes the entire point of discussion useless, since if all people agree that something is objectively good/bad we wouldn't have different opinions and we wouldn't discuss anything lol
May 7, 11:39 PM
Mar 2022
Saimatsu_Fan said:
ayogami_M said:

if we talk abt this yea the number it too low
May 7, 11:41 PM
Sep 2021
ayogami_M said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

if we talk abt this yea the number it too low

it has nothing to do with numbers and popularity

we live in a prude and sex negative era ( which is extremely ironic lol ) that we see anything that's Sexual automatically as bad regardless of its actual quality

which is why people automatically assume any ecchi anime to be trash, they're prudes
May 7, 11:48 PM
Mar 2022
yea i wanted to say almost the same thing but a lot of people feel attacked if u say it
May 7, 11:51 PM
Jan 2023
Saimatsu_Fan said:
TheBacc20 said:

even trash like rent a GF and Boruto is still liked by many people, and " peak fiction " like full metal alchemist and H x H is not liked by many

saying that x is objectively good/bad also makes the entire point of discussion useless, since if all people agree that something is objectively good/bad we wouldn't have different opinions and we wouldn't discuss anything lol

You can enjoy plenty of things that are poorly written/bad quality and vice versa. Like I enjoyed SAO, but I recognize the writing/pacing was pretty tragic. Just like I didn’t like Chainsaw Man, but I can see why somebody might enjoy it.
May 8, 12:01 AM
Sep 2021
TheBacc20 said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:

You can enjoy plenty of things that are poorly written/bad quality and vice versa. Like I enjoyed SAO, but I recognize the writing/pacing was pretty tragic. Just like I didn’t like Chainsaw Man, but I can see why somebody might enjoy it.

enjoying something has nothing to do with whether it's bad or good though, and again you consider SAO to bad, not everyone
May 8, 3:15 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to TheBacc20
RoyalDemon05 said:

@TheBacc20 isekai is literally all a generic power fantasy and pretty much harem. Look at how poorly tensura is getting received this season after the movie flopped and critics trashed it. Fanbase is now in complete damage control.

Also konosuba getting stale and not exactly known for golf story and writing. If people look at everything especially after last episode, dal objectively best written show this season.
May 8, 3:21 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to Saimatsu_Fan
@Saimatsu_Fan a lot of fans are not exactly intelligent. Tensura got hyped up to be the dark knight and look how abysmally it is performing.
May 8, 3:24 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to RoyalDemon05
This post Clarification on Producers already explains about Date a Live Season 5. Kadokawa is not part of anime production; they are part of marketing anime, so do not worry.
Also last week, you might not know This Date a live season 5, was number #1 onAnime Trending

It is even number #1 on the Anime Corner and Sugai Topic.

This anime trending post was shared by @date_a_info (Official Japanese Date a live) and @KoshiTachibana (Author of Date a live LightNovel)

also Last episode was trending in Japan
So next season is already greenlit by productions, just wait for Final Episode 12.
@RoyalDemon05 not even re zero has a finale as well written and as good as dal's. Kadokawa will be missing a huge opportunity not putting the beast arc in a movie. Of course it will probably take a decade cuz they need a new production committee
May 8, 3:50 AM

Nov 2019
SpiderMiles3523 said:
@RoyalDemon05 not even re zero has a finale as well written and as good as dal's. Kadokawa will be missing a huge opportunity not putting the beast arc in a movie. Of course it will probably take a decade cuz they need a new production committee

wtf is re:zero finale? you from the future?
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 8, 4:14 AM
Sep 2021
SpiderMiles3523 said:
@TheBacc20 isekai is literally all a generic power fantasy and pretty much harem. Look at how poorly tensura is getting received this season after the movie flopped and critics trashed it. Fanbase is now in complete damage control.

Also konosuba getting stale and not exactly known for golf story and writing. If people look at everything especially after last episode, dal objectively best written show this season.

you slander isekai for being a power fantasy and harem but then you dick ride a show with exactly these elements lol

" my power fantasy harem is good, your power fantasy harem is bad "
May 8, 4:49 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to Saimatsu_Fan
SpiderMiles3523 said:

you slander isekai for being a power fantasy and harem but then you dick ride a show with exactly these elements lol

" my power fantasy harem is good, your power fantasy harem is bad "
@Saimatsu_Fan you can't be serious. Just look at the poll results. Also compare the writing. It is something you cannot seem to comprehend. The climax, foreshadowing, writing, novelty is perfect here. Meanwhile konosuba people are complaining it is getting stale and unfunny. And tensura being a yapping fest.

Of course found the isekai fan who thinks isekai is equivalent of the godfather.
May 8, 4:50 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to Laplace_kun
SpiderMiles3523 said:

wtf is re:zero finale? you from the future?
@Laplace_kun re zero fell off at arc 7
May 8, 4:56 AM

Nov 2019
SpiderMiles3523 said:

that's far from being a finale tho?
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 8, 5:18 AM
Sep 2021
SpiderMiles3523 said:
@Saimatsu_Fan you can't be serious. Just look at the poll results. Also compare the writing. It is something you cannot seem to comprehend. The climax, foreshadowing, writing, novelty is perfect here. Meanwhile konosuba people are complaining it is getting stale and unfunny. And tensura being a yapping fest.

Of course found the isekai fan who thinks isekai is equivalent of the godfather.

bro you're one who can't admit that the harem power fantasy series you is actually a harem power fantasy series regardless of its actual quality
May 8, 5:28 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to Saimatsu_Fan
SpiderMiles3523 said:

bro you're one who can't admit that the harem power fantasy series you is actually a harem power fantasy series regardless of its actual quality
@Saimatsu_Fan you don't seem to be talking about this show at all other than "harem" or "ecchi" so I assume ur an isekai supremacist trying to bash this show out of spite. Also ur constantly commenting. Anyways, I think I will get the mods to get rid of ur troll posts on the dal forums.
May 8, 2:40 PM
Oct 2023
Reply to Saimatsu_Fan
@Saimatsu_Fan

The harem/ecchi genre is enormously popular in the West, as we've seen with high school dxd, Prison School , love ru, dress up darling , it's even much more popular than in Japan, and it's the blu-ray/broadcast sales statistics that say so.

Nowadays, DaL has fans mainly in the West, China and Indonesia; in Japan, only Kurumi is appreciated.
May 8, 2:45 PM
Oct 2023
Reply to Laplace_kun
SpiderMiles3523 said:

that's far from being a finale tho?
@Laplace_kun

the final peak of rezéro occurs at volume 35

good luck to them in producing the animation seasons of all these volumes
May 8, 7:04 PM
Sep 2021
benjic665 said:
@Saimatsu_Fan

The harem/ecchi genre is enormously popular in the West, as we've seen with high school dxd, Prison School , love ru, dress up darling , it's even much more popular than in Japan, and it's the blu-ray/broadcast sales statistics that say so.

Nowadays, DaL has fans mainly in the West, China and Indonesia; in Japan, only Kurumi is appreciated.

1) all of these shows are considered " trash " by the anime community except for my dress up darling because it's a cute romcom, and even then that show to this day still has many people get angry about it and call it a fantasy for incels and so

" the harem and ecchi genre is enormously popular " yes totally evident by people Complaining about fanservice 24/7 everywhere lol

2) the only character people care about in literally any country is Kurumi, not just Japan lol
Saimatsu_FanMay 8, 7:08 PM
May 8, 7:05 PM
Sep 2021
SpiderMiles3523 said:
@Saimatsu_Fan you don't seem to be talking about this show at all other than "harem" or "ecchi" so I assume ur an isekai supremacist trying to bash this show out of spite. Also ur constantly commenting. Anyways, I think I will get the mods to get rid of ur troll posts on the dal forums.

I'm not an " Isekai supremacist " ( lol wtf is this term, stop being chronically online ) and this conversation had nothing to do with isekai nor isekai was ever mentioned

and yes i only talk about the ecchi and harem about DAL BECAUSE IT'S an ecchi and harem series?? what did you expect??

and I'm not trying to bash this show or else why would i give 8/10 rating to every single season and currently watching the fifth one ? I'm just calling it an ecchi and harem show BECAUSE it's harem and ecchi, and i said most anime fans in the west dislike these genres, which is true
May 8, 9:14 PM

Nov 2019
benjic665 said:
@Laplace_kun

the final peak of rezéro occurs at volume 35

good luck to them in producing the animation seasons of all these volumes

That's still... Arc 8. The finale is currently Arc 12, according to the author.

Yes I hope I'll still watch anime by the time all this gets adapted.

The point is Arc 7 isn't bad either, if one just isn't slothful enough to read the side stories. Though wonder why Tappei would do that. Todd and Yorna W characters tho.

More topics from this board

» Is this gonna be the final season?

keithgriff - 7 minutes ago

0 by keithgriff »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 15

76 by StallionXD »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 8

82 by RioFS »»
Today, 6:26 AM

» What the heck has happened in ep. 5?

spinjitsumaestro - May 13

7 by kitsunetheknight »»
May 15, 11:33 PM

» Amazing foreshadowing

NickReyes - May 1

16 by Alexandria420 »»
May 15, 5:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.