Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 20, 11:41 AM
Nov 2023
I understand that Thorfinn stopped Einar from getting revenge on Ketil to prevent him from either getting executed for killing the master of the farm or going down the same self-destructive path that Thorfinn himself had gone down with Askeladd. Thorfinn stopping him was in Einar's best interest and further illustrated how much of a changed person Thorfinn had become. I understand all of that but at the same time as the audience, I REALLY wanted something horrible to happen to Ketil. He is by far the character I hated the most on first-watch of the series. I don't think it's a bad decision on the writer's part to let him live as it shows the unfairness of the world they live in but selfishly I was a bit unsatisfied that he didn't die by the end of the season. How do you all feel about Ketil's character and how his storyline was handled?
Apr 20, 12:03 PM

Jul 2014
Ketil was an absolutely vile bastard and I think the show handled his characterization and arc brilliantly. Spineless, insecure men who can only assert their masculinity by abusing or controlling others are a dime a dozen and I feel like he was perfectly representative of that.

I also loved how the show initially presented him as being comparatively benevolent and kind when compared to other slave owners, only for it to show you his true colours when push came to shove. There's no such thing as a good or kind slave owner. If you view people as commodities to be bought and sold, you fundamentally view them as lesser.
Take care of yourself

Apr 20, 12:13 PM
Feb 2024
Ketil had me in the first half not gonna lie, very quickly broke down into a money hungry slime ball, but I'm sure either way that would have been the case as he is a slave owner so wasn't necessarily surprised by his change. rip Arnheid
Apr 20, 12:14 PM
Aug 2023
I liked ketil as a character but man he sold at the end smh, and it further showed Thorfinns character development great stuffđź‘Źđź‘Ź he is well written.
Apr 20, 12:28 PM
Jul 2023
Honestly, i thought Ketil was a really interesting character. He was so likeable in the beginning: treating his slaves well, promising thorfinn and Einar that they can go free after they complete their work. Compared to other slave owners, he was completely the opposite of what u would think they would be, more like the owners of Gardar. He didn’t even want to be punished the children severely.

At first it seemed that he was a soft kind hearted man that was forced to lie and pretend to be ‘iron fist ketil’ to fit in the expectations of society, or i think he did that to falsely gain respect so people would mess with him and his farm.

Really, he just revealed himself to be a man child, when things don’t go his way, he fucking beats a pregnant woman and her baby to death. And refuses to let her go. Like a child he throws a temper tantrum, attacking someone he is able to bully in order to gain some kind of control; he wants to believe she cheated on so he can blame everything that is happening on her.

On a high, he goes to war, and gets humbled, and loses everything even the decision to keep on fighting.

I think the final shot we see of him is more fitting than death; he has to live with nothing, no respect and the girl he confided is gone even though he was determined to hang on to her. And its all his own fault.

He is son was so immature at first, now he has become a man, while ketil, the man of the house has revealed to everyone and himself that he is a man child, and he has to live with that.
Apr 20, 12:33 PM
Negator

Mar 2022
Ketil sucks ass, and I’m happy to see he’s still alive. Death would’ve been too kind to him. Now he’s an empty husk who’s lost all that he was given and worked for, and all that he loved. He has no ownership of the farm anymore, he was exposed as a liar, a fraud, and a coward, his wife, father, and oldest son gave up on him, and he killed the woman he “loved” and their child. Now he’s living with all that he’s done, and he’s such a self serving POS that he will likely just sulk, and never grow and repent like his son and Thorfinn have. Great character, terrible person.
Apr 20, 5:15 PM
Mar 2023
Ketil is my most hated character. Don't remind me of that mfing bastard.

More topics from this board

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Apr 27

45 by LargeSkittle »»
May 6, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2023

285 by OrganikPatates »»
Apr 30, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2023

380 by __Klavier__ »»
Apr 30, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

487 by ItachiSanStatus »»
Apr 29, 4:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2023

195 by Loli_Ancap »»
Apr 28, 5:58 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.