Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 19, 2:12 AM

Oct 2022
Oh trust me the coma scene will make it all worth it- say whaaat?
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Apr 19, 10:08 AM
Feb 2024
Eva isn't necessarily a mecha genre, rather it is used a stage for delving deeper into its characters.
Apr 19, 10:26 AM
Jun 2013
Fail_Man_X said:
>Doesn't like mecha
>Gave both seasons of Code Geass 10/10

?

hahaha this made me laugh hysterically..
Abandon preconceptions and cultivate knowledge to make all things possible.
You must not forget that all knowledge is based on the creative efforts of those who came before you.
Apr 19, 12:17 PM
Jul 2022
Theo1899 said:
Yeah it's good.
Word of advice, the "Mecha" genre is very diverse so you shouldn't be so prejudiced against it.

I agree. A lot more to it than people give it credit for. They all think it’s like Power Rangers, or Transformers. (Which I love) I would suggest other anime to them than Eva for their first mech though.
Apr 19, 12:28 PM
Mar 2022
watch the remake movies instead of this garbage
Apr 19, 12:42 PM
Apr 2022
Lonely_kun said:
I Don't like the mecha genre. So i want suggestion that should i watch this series❓

Eva is more of a psychological anime, rather than a Mecha one
Apr 19, 1:26 PM
Apr 2020
No, one of the worst anime out there. Extremely overrated
Apr 19, 1:35 PM

Jan 2024
Well you are in luck cuz this ain't a mecha show.
Apr 19, 5:09 PM

Oct 2015
Like many others have mentioned, Evangelion does not count as a mecha show, it is sci-fi and psychological, similar to Soukyuu No Fafner.

Like Theo mentioned above, mecha is very diverse. Mecha is not just giant robots punching one another like Gurren Lagann. In most cases, mecha are just tools in a war, etc.

If you want to know about how influential mecha is, the AoT creator Iseyama mentioned that a mecha VN, Muv-Luv Alternative, is his main source of inspiration. Well, Muv-Luv creator Yoshimune is a Gundam fan and mentioned that Myv-Luv Integrate is using Turn A Gundam as a reference.

If you want to get into mecha, Gundam 00 is a good option. If you are willing to go into older anime, UC Gundam and Macross are good options too. There are also other options like Full Metal Panic, Break Blade. I have mixed feelings with Buddy Complex, Kyoukai Senki but you can check those out.

And I don’t recommend people to immediately jump into the Muv-Luv VNs because player has to sit through 10 hours of dating simulator. Valrave The Liberator and Guilty Crown are rubbish, Valrave has nice mech designs though. I also don’t recommend Witch From Mercury as entry point, outside the prologue, it does not feel Gundam. Nowadays, I tend to avoid the moment I saw Ichigo Okouchi as the scriptwriter, I know he will force high school drama into a mecha war story that has no reason to be there (other than reining in young audiences), making it feel not like a mecha show.

Going to mention @TheMechaManiac because he is probably better then me at guiding people into mecha genre.
NewestPersonHereApr 20, 2:13 AM
Apr 19, 8:55 PM
Jun 2022
If you don't like mechas, this won't be as interesting.
Though, the psychological aspects are cool.
Give it one chapter. If you can't stomach Shinji, drop it.
Apr 19, 10:42 PM
Aug 2021
Of course, have fun.
Apr 20, 1:18 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to NewestPersonHere
Like many others have mentioned, Evangelion does not count as a mecha show, it is sci-fi and psychological, similar to Soukyuu No Fafner.

Like Theo mentioned above, mecha is very diverse. Mecha is not just giant robots punching one another like Gurren Lagann. In most cases, mecha are just tools in a war, etc.

If you want to know about how influential mecha is, the AoT creator Iseyama mentioned that a mecha VN, Muv-Luv Alternative, is his main source of inspiration. Well, Muv-Luv creator Yoshimune is a Gundam fan and mentioned that Myv-Luv Integrate is using Turn A Gundam as a reference.

If you want to get into mecha, Gundam 00 is a good option. If you are willing to go into older anime, UC Gundam and Macross are good options too. There are also other options like Full Metal Panic, Break Blade. I have mixed feelings with Buddy Complex, Kyoukai Senki but you can check those out.

And I don’t recommend people to immediately jump into the Muv-Luv VNs because player has to sit through 10 hours of dating simulator. Valrave The Liberator and Guilty Crown are rubbish, Valrave has nice mech designs though. I also don’t recommend Witch From Mercury as entry point, outside the prologue, it does not feel Gundam. Nowadays, I tend to avoid the moment I saw Ichigo Okouchi as the scriptwriter, I know he will force high school drama into a mecha war story that has no reason to be there (other than reining in young audiences), making it feel not like a mecha show.

Going to mention @TheMechaManiac because he is probably better then me at guiding people into mecha genre.
@NewestPersonHere Evangelion is a mecha show. Like, there's a whole subgenre of biological mecha shows in which Eva fits nicely. Same deal with Fafner.

The point about mecha as a genre is that it has to have robots or robot-like giants to classify as a mecha show. The focus on the mecha doesn't matter. Eva does focus slightly more on the character drama, yes, but disregarding it's mecha status is kinda disingenuous.

Also @Lonely_Kun, I would not recommend Eva as a show if you don't like mecha. Sure, there's the whole character drama, but half of Eva's appeal is the detailed art style which comes to life... in the fight scenes. A ton of people recommend Eva to beginners in the genre but watching it as your first mecha experience is not a particularly smart idea. It's a show that's best understood if you already have some experience with more "standard" titles in the genre, such as Gundam or Macross to name a few. Once again, you're probably better off starting with something more "standard", like for example Gundam 00 (modern animation style, late 2000s anime sensibilities), just to get a grasp that no, mecha isn't all about the giant robots, and is and always was "about the characters" just like any other anime genre is.
TheMechaManiacApr 20, 1:29 AM
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 20, 3:21 AM
best $30 i spent

Oct 2023
nah …….(character limit)….
Apr 20, 4:22 AM
Dec 2015
This was my first mecha show. I regret nothing.
Apr 20, 7:11 AM
Jul 2020
don't bother, it's bad as
Apr 20, 7:21 AM

Oct 2018
noooooo
noooooooooooooo
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Apr 20, 10:50 AM
Oct 2023
Yea,Watch it but follow the order or you'll be confused in the last few eps
Apr 20, 11:30 AM

Jul 2014
I'm not exactly unbiased since it is my favourite anime of all time, but yeah I think you should totally give it a go. The mechs, as cool as they are, really aren't the core focus or main appeal. It's primarily about the characters and uses its sci-fi setting to provide a sense of apocalyptic gravitas to what is essentially an existential tragedy.
Take care of yourself

Apr 20, 2:16 PM

Feb 2015
Well, NGE is basically the quintessential "I don't like mecha, but this one is an exception" type of anime. If you appreciate a good story and good characters, you are probably going to like this.
Apr 20, 6:40 PM

Feb 2014
Yeah go ahead, but don't let the world tell you what you should think or how you should feel about it. Be true to yourself
I began to sense faintly that secrecy is the keystone of all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy . . . censorship. When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, “This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know,” the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.
Apr 21, 4:43 PM
Feb 2023
Kingcrimson122 said:
No, it’s complete dogshit. Don’t waste your time

bro what the fuck are you on
Apr 24, 12:18 AM
Aug 2021
I always thought mecha would suck and couldn't understand why it was so popular as robots fighting just seemed boring and lame.

I still don't really care for robot fighting, but they have some good fucking plots. Evangelion and Code Geass are my two favourite anime's now, so I'd say it's at least worth checking out.
Apr 26, 3:58 AM
Dec 2022
arielcw said:
you might be gay but i am gayer

bro thinks he can out gay me
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
Apr 28, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 27, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.