Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 26, 4:54 AM
Jul 2023
I’ve never written anything in a forum in MAL. It’s funny, I watched this show months ago, and of all the masterpieces, tear-jerkers, and roar-inducing thrillers, I chose to write my first topic about this.
The question’s simple. Who enjoys this show? If anyone can reply to me why they enjoyed this show, especially those that rated it 10 stars, I’m just legitimately curious. I don’t mean any hate by it. People enjoy what they want to enjoy. But for me, this is different. Compared to all the factory-produced shows in the Isekai genre, I don’t see why this has become the favorite show of so many.

(Opinion below, read at your own risk)
From the moment I started this show, all I felt was frustration. I had mixed feelings about the animation, the character design wasn’t too bad, and the music was just ok (from what I remember it wasn’t anything too special). But that was never what caused me to despise the show. It was the lack of a legitimate story combined with the linear and dense characters. For me, the main character was the most insufferable protagonist I’ve ever had to watch. Takes zero hints, always does exactly what you expect. He was basic in every way, and experienced absolutely no development. I liked the idea of the show, and I was curious to see how the concept would be told: an overweight guy suddenly becomes extremely powerful and completely unrivaled, as well as being able to travel between worlds. Most people would want some sort of inner conflict. “Why did I get this”, “I don’t deserve this”. That’s not to say those are the only ways it could’ve been told. However, the way it was told left a feeling of frustration and annoyance. Suddenly, he’s really hot and pulls all these girls, but what was the significance of that to the plot? The only significant way that him being overweight affected the story is that “some people” remember he used to be overweight. No conflict, nothing. Final rant on MC: He is the worst main character I’ve ever watched, had zero personality, dense as hell (can sometimes be acceptable, definitely not in this case), and just all around felt fake.
Not that I remember everything from the story itself (its been quite a few months) but I remember how essentially nothing happened. I think it took until episode 8 until that bunny thing was mentioned again and the plot actually had a way to progress. There wasn’t really any story, it was just him grinding out levels because he wanted to. I Don’t remember enough of the story to say more, but I want someone to prove me wrong.
Honestly, aside from the main character, basically EVERY character in this show felt unrealistic and annoying. Most character interactions felt forced and basic. Not much more to say on that end.
Just overall this show felt very mid to me. Nothing special, nothing to get me hyped, no big twist. No characters to get me attached, just a bunch of bland copy paste characters interacting with one another. I had high hopes for the show, but I was just disappointed on all fronts due to the lack of, simply put, anything. I’m curious if I looked at it from the wrong perspective, or if I missed things in the story. I just want to see the perspective of people that thought this show was anything higher than a 4/5 star. Basically every anime I’ve watched, I’ve put over 7 stars. But this was the first anime that I disliked, to the point of frustration and anger.

Edit:
Also, even in terms of waifu bait, this show just wasn’t it 🤷‍♂️(sorry). Im curious if this really is the reason people enjoyed it though.
KuyaCMar 26, 7:12 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 26, 5:06 AM
Jun 2023
yeah ,I have and i will give 7 / 10 because I like isekai stuff.
Mar 26, 5:12 AM
Oct 2022
I watched pretty much every good bad and worst isekai possible. also watching ongoing isekai too
I had high hopes for this cause it looked natural and good at start. like the 1st episode was really fun as well as 2nd but then it collapsed brutally. it literally broke myheart as the animation was decent yet it drove off hhe freaking Hill and attempted suicide gdont know why though.

I have given it 4 out of 10. later checked he manga and its not even translated properly also lazy release like 2 or 3 months per ch. Now maybe it has gone in hayatus. well who cares now 😂
Mar 26, 5:22 AM

Jul 2015
I would also like to know, because this show honestly felt like an insult.
There is a good way and a bad way to do a wish fulfilment, but in this case it wasn't even subtle, that author was just throwing preverbial shit at the wall and seeing if it sticks, because what he made is so soulless and generic, it honestly seems to be AI generated.
There is honestly nothing good in it. All characters are shallow and one dimensional. Especially protagonist, who is such a Gary Stu, that makes Kirito look like complex and deep character in comparison.
PiromyslMar 26, 5:59 AM

Mar 26, 5:24 AM
Dec 2021
Hmm I rated it 7/10 it has +1 because of my favorite VA Matsuoka Yoshitsugu the VA of Kirito Inosuke Petelguese and many other characters.
I like Isekai anime and i just thought it was ok from animation to story.
Mar 26, 5:28 AM
Dec 2023
I’m usually a fan of isekai but this one just sucked. The first episode got me kinda hyped, then it fell apart so quickly. Like, there was either no consistent plot (either that or it was too all over the place to follow) and not even in the ‘Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid’ or ‘Dropkick on my Devil’ way. It was also just super cringe for most of it.
Mar 26, 5:53 AM
Dec 2022
i enjoyed it till the mc told the fl the secret of another rworld
Mar 26, 5:54 AM
Aug 2023
I like isekai but bruh this so mid
Mar 26, 5:55 AM

Jul 2021
there is one dude who will go to war to defend this show as anything other than below mediocre, middle school project level shit. his logic will make you bleed out brain cells through your nose so be ready. he's gonna be here anytime now.
Mar 26, 6:10 AM
Oct 2023
KuyaC said:
I’ve never written anything in a forum in MAL. It’s funny, I watched this show months ago, and of all the masterpieces, tear-jerkers, and roar-inducing thrillers, I chose to write my first topic about this.
The question’s simple. Who enjoys this show? If anyone can reply to me why they enjoyed this show, especially those that rated it 10 stars, I’m just legitimately curious. I don’t mean any hate by it. People enjoy what they want to enjoy. But for me, this is different. Compared to all the factory-produced shows in the Isekai genre, I don’t see why this has become the favorite show of so many.
From the moment I started this show, all I felt was frustration. I had mixed feelings about the animation, the character design wasn’t too bad, and the music was just ok (from what I remember it wasn’t anything too special). But that was never what caused me to despise the show. It was the lack of a legitimate story combined with the linear and dense characters. For me, the main character was the most insufferable protagonist I’ve ever had to watch. Takes zero hints, always does exactly what you expect. He was basic in every way, and experienced absolutely no development. I liked the idea of the show, and I was curious to see how the concept would be told: an overweight guy suddenly becomes extremely powerful and completely unrivaled, as well as being able to travel between worlds. Most people would want some sort of inner conflict. “Why did I get this”, “I don’t deserve this”. That’s not to say those are the only ways it could’ve been told. However, the way it was told left a feeling of frustration and annoyance. Suddenly, he’s really hot and pulls all these girls, but what was the significance of that to the plot? The only significant way that him being overweight affected the story is that “some people” remember he used to be overweight. No conflict, nothing. Final rant on MC: He is the worst main character I’ve ever watched, had zero personality, dense as hell (can sometimes be acceptable, definitely not in this case), and just all around felt fake.
Not that I remember everything from the story itself (its been quite a few months) but I remember how essentially nothing happened. I think it took until episode 8 until that bunny thing was mentioned again and the plot actually had a way to progress. There wasn’t really any story, it was just him grinding out levels because he wanted to. I Don’t remember enough of the story to say more, but I want someone to prove me wrong.
Honestly, aside from the main character, basically EVERY character in this show felt unrealistic and annoying. Most character interactions felt forced and basic. Not much more to say on that end.
Just overall this show felt very mid to me. Nothing special, nothing to get me hyped, no big twist. No characters to get me attached, just a bunch of bland copy paste characters interacting with one another. I had high hopes for the show, but I was just disappointed on all fronts due to the lack of, simply put, anything. I’m curious if I looked at it from the wrong perspective, or if I missed things in the story. I just want to see the perspective of people that thought this show was anything higher than a 4/5 star. Basically every anime I’ve watched, I’ve put over 7 stars. But this was the first anime that I disliked, to the point of frustration and anger.

I agree with you🤝🏻
Mar 26, 6:46 AM
Dec 2023
I was at the beginning of my anime time while I found this show running. Show at that time I genuinely enjoyed this show.
Mar 26, 8:14 AM
Dec 2018
I gave it 8 stars, read the whole thing till last volume published and used it for a presentation in my classes. So I guess I kinda enjoyed it.

If I should explain why I would say that's precisely the reason you disliked it.

Yuuya is dense and an abnormally average highschooler in his thoughts. He is basically what anyone here would be like if we got to be in his place and I really think the author was smart to make him overpowered but not some kind of the guy the world was waiting to have before even starting like you can see in most fantasy animes where a war has been raging for decades but no one actually seems to have beaten some shit before the MC awake to their power and start saving the world.

Let's now have a look at the beginning of the story since it's what seems to annoy you.

The anime starts with an obese Yuuya being rejected by everyone for that despite him being a good guy in his heart. Just right here the anime is already challenging what is called the halo effect and representativeness heuristic. In most animes an obese character is either a pervert (Like Rudeus in Mushoku tensei) or a bad guy (Like most giant villains in One Piece) just by this fact the author got a really smart way to write against social norms and it's the first thing I like here.

One might argue that if the main objective was really to have an obese but kind protagonist then Yuuya could have remained obese but that's where Kaori comes.

When Yuuya first try to help Kaori he fails ridiculously but gives the proof to the people living in that story that yes an obese guy can be nice (which was already proven to the watcher but not yet to the characters) and got rewarded for his goodwill by Kaori's father letting him join the school. Here the author tries to show that's not because people are bad with you or assume you are a bad person that you should necessarily conform to it and that being a nice guy with people around you is a good thing. Yes this one seems like total toddler moral but it actually has a moral unlike most Isekai shows where the guy basically reincarnate and live their best life just because they can without any sense of moral or ethics.

So the second thing I liked here is that the author actually wanna transmit some kind of moral. And that's something they repeat throughout the whole story with the concept of forgiving despite having been the victim. Lexia forgives her brother for having tried to kill her acknowledging he too was suffering. Yuuya forgive his siblings for having tried to attack him and his classmates at school acknowledging it's legitimate be frustrated to not be granted what you desired despite having worked really hard to have it. And here that's really forgivenness it's not like Fairy Tail alike stories where the bad guys turns into good ones because they got hit hard enough. All characters in Iserebe know and say the villains acted badly but wan to understand them and maybe (if they deserve it cuz some actually got killed in what follows the anime) forgive them.

Third is about the slow paced beginning. Just as I said previously Yuuya got to be able to live things in a completely new world where he doesn't know anything and where he is (supposedly) unknowned of anyone. Suppose you were moving to a new city next week. Do you think there will be anyone guessing you are new knocking at your door saying "Hey buddy, your life is starting now. You got your future wife waiting you at the bar over there"? Probably not and that's exactly what happens to Yuuya. He is in a place he doesn't know and to which he first needs to acclimate. That's why he first fears to fight and go out. There is no such a thing coming like "Hey I'm the plot. can you come over to the castle we got a story for you". I think the author was really smart to not give us a character knowing everything about wherever they might go and let us through their eyes experience what we would feel like if we were to be able to travel between worlds.

So in short what I liked is that Iserebe go against norms, has some kind of moral and let us relate to Yuuya.

Sure if that's not what you were looking for before watching it I understand your disappointment but I think people saying this anime was thrash because it didn't match their expectations are a bit narrow minded.
Mar 26, 9:28 AM
Jul 2022
Well... Iwatched anime during the period when I was preparing for my Baccalaureate Exams, which was a very stressful time.
During this period, when you know you have to stop wasting time and study instead, both your heart and brain are in agreement on one thing. You will find enjoyment in anything, no matter its quality. I used to study for around 10 hours a day, allowing 7 hours for sleep at night, 2 hours for a mid-study nap, and 2 hours for sports, with the rest reserved for daily activities. Amidst these 10 hours, I took 5 minute breaks after every 25 minutes of studying. One of my daily activities was to watch an episode or 3 of an anime on rest days from sports.
I distinctly remember watching Goblin Slayer and the anime featuring a red haired magic girl who was Taken by an elegant, tall creature with a goat skull for a head and red eyes named Elias. Although I can't recall the name, it was the best anime I watched during that period, alongside This anime.

Lets go back tk our main subject.

The story of the anime wasn't good, and only lowlife losers might enjoy it because it's their dream to live a life where everything is like a game. You level up in a magical world where getting stronger is as simple as drinking water.
Without providing any background on who his Grandpa was or how he got all that, or where he got that portal.
+The character was soo dump and as stupid as a stone, I still didn't understand what was the meaning from the intelligence points he recieved when he leveled up.
I thing the problem was how the writer understood intelligence,thinking it is just being good at studying xDDD. Literary no character development at alllll.
The writer totally ignored the fact that the appearance plays a great role in defining someone's personality. Maaaaybe his personality didn't change at all because he suddenly became a greak god at one night, and didn't have tk work his a** for a year to just lose fat. The writer was sooo lazy to write down this story, I might do better than him, I won't even right this from the beginning.
I didn't understand why Stories like tgis are getting animated instead of other hidden gems.
(Edited after remembering it again)
To be honest, even I dreamt about something like that, but here is the difference. My dream was having a portal that takes me to another realm like the Dragon Ball time place, where spending years there does not count in real life, and you also don't grow older. You might be asking why I had a dream about that?
Because I suffer from a lack of time, and sometimes I abandon my entertainment time to get things done, and sometimes worse when I have to abandon my sport and writing times, which were sacred. Therefore, I said I wish I had a place where I can train freely like in Dragon Ball.

From what I said you could tell that I enjoyed the anime for two main reasons.
1- I was going through hard times, when the least fun thing becomes fun.
2- I had similar dreams but different goals.
And the third reason which has nothing to do with what I said, is The Art style.
I liked how characters are designed.
And I wrote all this just to practice writing and see if I improved a little.
If you see any writing or grammar mistakes, please let me know ^^
EmoDanteMar 26, 9:41 AM
Mar 26, 9:46 AM
Jul 2022
KuyaC said:

Edit:
Also, even in terms of waifu bait, this show just wasn’t it 🤷‍♂️(sorry). Im curious if this really is the reason people enjoyed it though.

XDDD fax, you gave more details than me on how shit this anime was, but I enjoyed it lol.
Mar 26, 10:25 AM
Feb 2021
apparently I gave this anime a 8/10
idk what kind of drugs I was on while watching
Mar 26, 10:37 AM
Jun 2021
I liked it. Personally, I feel like there isn’t anything wrong with it.
Mar 26, 1:15 PM
Jun 2017
i genuinely loved it. Like really. the end was bullshit and rushed but other than that I genuinely loved it.
more than other isekai who might be considered way better.
Mar 26, 2:01 PM
Jan 2021
I enjoyed it. It wasn't objectively good by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoyed it.
I think for me, I loved what it could've been:
I found the art style unique, I found the concept of world hopping really cool, and the idea that he keeps his powers in the real world is awesome.
unfortunately the writing tanked.
So yeah, enjoyable but not good
Mar 26, 2:28 PM
Jan 2024
i enjoyed and im waiting for 2. season 👍🏻
Mar 26, 6:29 PM
Mar 2022
the only I liked about it was art or cgi, other than that it basically says in the all episodes "you get no b*tches you losers!"
Mar 26, 7:10 PM
Feb 2022
I liked the art style with the easily digested everything else. Something to rest my eyes on while daydreaming without missing anything much.
Mar 26, 7:35 PM
Aug 2023
next season is announced so I think you should watch the next season and then decide
Mar 26, 9:22 PM
Jul 2022
KuyaC said:

Edit:

I liked first couple of ep but once it went into the real world I lost interest
Mar 26, 9:27 PM
Oct 2018
I am. Plot is good and uncasual. I like characters design specially girls, they are beautiful, everyone
Mar 26, 9:57 PM
Jan 2021
I watched it genuinely because it's crap, I wanted to see how stupid it could get. I clicked on every next episode with a big stupid grin on my face, wondering how poorly written and ridiculous it would be. I mean what other anime does the mc fight off a biker gang, randomly get scouted to be a fashion model out of nowhere, and get confessed to by his teacher because he suplexed a bear? not one I can think of.
Mar 26, 10:27 PM
May 2020
I did enjoy this. It was fun and I’m looking forward to season 2. I like the MC. He’s a really nice guy who had bad things happen to him and then something magical happened that helped change his life and gave him the power to improve himself.

Sometimes you just like an anime because. I don’t always feel a need to psychoanalyze why I enjoyed it. I just did.
Mar 27, 12:03 AM
Nov 2022
I rated it a 7 out of 10 because I'm a fan of isekai and the idea of a door to another world is not bad, but that doesn't automatically make it good. While the concept isn't groundbreaking, it's still enjoyable. But, I can't rewatch it like other isekai anime because I've already daydreamed about similar stories. If there's an isekai narrative that surpasses my daydreaming imagination, it would definitely be fun to watch.

I'm looking forward to season 2 and i hope a lot of people enjoy it even for a bit.
SoraFractureMar 27, 12:10 AM
Mar 27, 12:59 AM
Jun 2023
it was a pretty average Isekai , for me the art and animation is what I enjoyed the most even tho I remember there being one episode with a goofy fight scene. The characters are shallow and the story feels like it's going nowhere as in there's no purpose for what the character is doing.
Mar 27, 3:45 AM
Sep 2020
Don't take it funny 🤣
The actual name of this name should be "I got a cheat skill were all the girls called me handsome in every episode "
Mar 27, 4:18 AM

Oct 2020
I gave it a 3/10 because while at times it can be so bad it's funny, generally it was just really bad, cliché and overall boring
Mar 27, 9:51 AM
Oct 2022
Isekai Reddit has such an insane hard on for this anime while hating on The Eminence in Shadow with equally as much passion. People are weird
Mar 27, 10:23 AM
Oct 2021
I liked it 8/10, The overall idea of the show was better than the execution of it but I still enjoyed it. At first was turned off by the CGI but the story was enjoyable enough.

People who hate it I’m guessing don’t like isekai in general. If so im genuinely curious to know if they give this a 1/10 what isekai they’re giving anything 8+
Mar 27, 12:42 PM
Dec 2020
I can usually watch bad isekai but I think this is the only anime I’ve rated a 1/10 lol
Mar 27, 12:44 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Franklr_D
Isekai Reddit has such an insane hard on for this anime while hating on The Eminence in Shadow with equally as much passion. People are weird
@Franklr_D Probably because Eminence is taking the piss out of those generic power fantasies (even if it also indulges in them).
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 27, 3:48 PM
Jan 2024
I really really like it... But I'll first write about what I didn't like, and was failed in the anime imo.

To make it short: I didn't like the rushed last episodes (like many other it seems), the sliding animations, but most importantly, the rushed and awkward "real world" story of the beginning.

In a more detailed opinion, I felt the intentions of the author sliding (for the better) actually :
- at first it's about reversing the isekai: we have a slice-of-life isekai for a MC that makes him cheated in the real world (instant looks, school=king of school life and career perspectives, perfect girlfriend with powerful in-law, and even acting career....!). But that here feels waaay too cheated and too fast, especially for the lack of opposition that cheated upgrade faces. Of course, no evil lord in the real world, so the family is made to be the evil to be faced, but is way too little facing the cheated improved mc and bound into modern society laws: ofc it feels bland.
I would have much preferred a more progressive development for one, eg mc gaining instant strength sure but still being overweight, and slowly getting fit maybe, and developing much more the abuse perspective from the parents, authority figures, peer pressure etc.
- after establishing the cheated real world life, it is pretty much discarded (no real development with the classmates?) to focus on the isekai life that becomes a shonen/nekketsu. Because of the sage context strong opposition is drawn up without the limits of the real world, thus making it a good isekai: as in any adventure story, the interest is built through strong enemies, and indeed, there is more development of the little we see enemy characters than of the mc.... So what? :)

To conclude: average (but worthy) try at innovating in the isekai genre, followed by a good 'classic' isekai built on the (unintentional?) rock-solid foundation of the Isekai lore.
Mar 27, 4:22 PM
Jul 2021
i enjoyed the show
Mar 27, 4:48 PM
Aug 2023
i did, idc ab the critics
Mar 27, 5:57 PM

Jul 2021
I'm not sure if your question has been answered yet because I'm not reading the rest of the replies (just feeling quite lazy at the moment) so I'm going to try to answer this as best as I can.

Sure enough, you did go at this from the wrong perspective. I understand why because I've been there before.

Basically, some anime isn't trying to be anything profound or new, it's just trying to be entertainment. This isn't just an anime thing, I'm sure you know. It happens all across the entertainment industry. Plenty of anime will try to entertain without offering incredible stories, profound writing, or unforgettable characters. Some are just slop because that's what's fun.

One of the ways in which that becomes manifest is through action anime where the self-insert, overpowered main character gets all the women. This is a formula for a largely male-targeted escapism anime. You insert as the bland and inoffensive main character to experience the feeling of power fantasy and being given attention by attractive members of the opposite sex.

And to add with an opinion of my own, this formula of action/harem and OP, self-insert MC would fail at being an effective escapism anime if it tried to be anything else. For example, when the main character isn't bland or innocent, he isn't self-insertable and the viewer loses his way into the fantasy (this is why so much hentai depicts borderline faceless, virgin male protagonists, because otherwise the viewer feels inferior and excluded). Or when deep thinking is demanded in order to understand some plot point or maybe a life lesson, you lose the audience that actually just wants to turn their brain off and enjoy the power-fantasy and harem.

Let's clarify here that I love the above formula and I love Iseleve. I think Iseleve stands out in the world of trashy action/harem anime and I'm glad it's getting a second season. I think I've answered your question by now so the rest of this post will just be outlining why I think Iseleve is great.

First, I completely disagree that the main character is dislikable. I loved him (no homo). After all he's been through, I can't help but cheer for him. He doesn't go out for vengeance against his bullies or anything, nor does he get particularly angry at people. He stays humble and shows kindness to everyone. I think that even in the real world, he is possessing of qualities that make an ideal citizen.

Then there's the ridiculous situations that the MC finds himself in. He embarrasses this self-important f-kboy who thinks he's hot stuff just because he's got looks even after showing up for a photoshoot late and shows him what for. He beats up a violent biker gang in front of everyone in his school while also showing mercy to his siblings who were his former bullies. These are ideas are perfect for the kinda show that this is.

I also thought that the girls were hot. Enough said. Trashy harem anime doesn't need incredibly well-written female characters, they just need attractive female characters.

Overall I had a blast with the show because it's what I wanted to see. You didn't because you wanted and were expecting something else. But hopefully if you've given the time to read my post, you'll understand a bit more about this kinda anime.
Mar 27, 7:12 PM
Oct 2022
I did, but I’m also an isekai junkie
Mar 27, 7:14 PM

Aug 2021
manga was okay but the anime not too much
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 10:54 PM
Mar 2024
it was isekai junk food 4/10
Mar 27, 11:24 PM
Nov 2021
I enjoyed how bad everything was
Mar 28, 3:45 AM
Sep 2021
I liked the show, and I won't explain further because a lot of posters did a good job explaining why this is a good show. So, on a side note, if you don't like a show, just shut up watch your pokemon and let others enjoy it. Golden rule "if you don't like it don't watch it".
Mar 28, 2:50 PM
Oct 2014
it's a good show.
Now it's nothing overly amazing but it's good.
the story is interesting, I'd give the story around a 6-7, that being better than SAO for a isekai comparison.
the art work is good and detailed which I would rate around a 6, it loses a few points for shoddy CGI in some areas.
the characters are a little basic, rating around 5-6 but some characters have this "something strange behind their words" feeling that I look forward to seeing if I was right.
all in all it's an above average isekai that I enjoy rewatching as something to relax to.
anyway I'm sorry if this seems a little rambling, but I hope it helps.
Mar 28, 4:41 PM
Deez

Jul 2021
I really enjoyed this show because of how easy it is to watch. i can pretty much watch it on loop because of how little you need to delve into it to enjoy it. The MC does exactly what he should for the most part, and the plot is interesting enough to keep watching. I also enjoy how over the top the item drops and their descriptions are. It is more enjoyable to watch than other trash isekai too. I've rated it an 8/10 because I feel it is overhated, and I'm sticking with it.
Heavenly47Mar 28, 4:51 PM
Mar 29, 10:07 AM
Nov 2023
it started off good but after few episodes it's somewhat messed upp
Mar 29, 4:36 PM

Mar 2017
It was your average isakai type show but I really disliked the art style.
Mar 29, 10:46 PM
May 2022
when I watch anime I do it to disconnect from reality. This show kept my attention enough for me to finish it. I wouldn't call it amazing, but I have finished far worse anime.
Mar 30, 12:46 PM

Jul 2022
You can find positive reviews here. I recommended it (8/10), and my review is here.

Apart from that, I would just say that you need a certain degree of literacy to get the most out of a work of fiction. A cat can look at the screen and see the bright lights and hear the loud noises, but it can't get much more out of an anime than that. Let's all try to do better than a cat.

the lack of a legitimate story

A story is a sequence of events. When you add causation, you get a plot. " 'The king died and then the queen died,' is a story. 'The king died, and then the queen died of grief' is a plot" (E. M. Forster, Aspects of the Novel). Therefore, Isekai Cheat Skill has a story and a plot.

essentially nothing happened

A high school student finds a portal to another world and acquires extraordinary power that changes his life profoundly. A motorcycle gang attacks a school. An assassin attacks a princess. Two people go on a date. More than two people propose marriage. Does any of that sound familiar? Did you watch the show?

the main character… experienced absolutely no development

In multiple scenes over multiple episodes, he either thinks back on an experience from the fantasy world and uses it to overcome obstacles, such as self-doubt, in the regular world, or thinks back on an experience from the regular world and uses it overcome obstacles, such as goblins, in the fantasy world.

Most people would want some sort of inner conflict. "Why did I get this", "I don't deserve this".

That's exactly what happens in the show. It happens over and over again, in episode after episode. It happens immediately after he acquires his power. It happens in the climax of the final episode. It is the main theme of the show. It's even implied in the title.

Suddenly, he's really hot and pulls all these girls, but what was the significance of that to the plot?

First of all, it allows for scenes of light-hearted comedy where Yuuya's low self-esteem and social anxiety lead him to expect something bad to happen, but it is revealed to the audience, through other characters' internal monologues, that something good is about to happen instead. Second of all, it is revealing of Yuuya's character when he struggles to accept praise, or when he chooses not to exploit people using his overpowered abilities. You asked for internal conflict: here it is, with a side of light romantic comedy. I wouldn't usually stoop to this level of analysis, but here we are. Have you ever seen a sitcom?

the linear and dense characters

If it takes the form of a straight line, it's linear; if it packs a lot of substance into a small volume, it's dense; if it lacks depth, it's flat or two-dimensional, and if it also lacks breadth, it's one-dimensional, which also happens to be the form of a straight line. Characters can be described as one- or two-dimensional; plots can be linear; and various things can be literally or figuratively dense; but it doesn't really mean anything for a character to be "linear and dense," so I don't know that you understand your own complaint. Now, in a comedy, it's not unusual for some characters to be oblivious to other characters' feelings, particularly romantic feelings, and in that sense Yuuya might be considered dense, but again, this is hardly a problem in a comedy.

If you were looking for depth in a character, Kaori is an obvious example. On the surface, Kaori has it all: she's attractive and popular; she does well in school; her family is supportive and well-off. However, Kaori is also isolated by her superficially positive traits: she tells Yuuya as much in episode two, and we see in multiple scenes over multiple episodes that other people are intimidated by her and won't approach her, or they assign an uncomfortable level of elegance and brilliance to everything she says and does. And yet, through scenes of light comedy, it becomes clear to the audience that Kaori is actually a huge dork, which is not just a funny juxtaposition: in light of her awkward, dorky nature, it is highly significant that Kaori never judges people based on their own superficial traits, which is taken to a comic extreme when she fails to notice that Yuuya's appearance has completely changed overnight. I could go on.

I'm curious if I looked at it from the wrong perspective, or if I missed things in the story.

Yes.
verbinflectionMar 30, 4:44 PM
Mar 30, 3:15 PM
May 2021
_otaku_man00 said:
yeah ,I have and i will give 7 / 10 because I like isekai stuff.

me too. i’m just a sucker for isekai, good bad, i pretty much like em all
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Isekai de Cheat Skill wo Te ni Shita Ore wa, Genjitsu Sekai wo mo Musou Suru: Level Up wa Jinsei wo Kaeta Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2023

211 by Overcast93 »»
Yesterday, 2:21 PM

» Season 2?

RealityChanges - May 4

12 by zerphyr-866 »»
May 6, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Isekai de Cheat Skill wo Te ni Shita Ore wa, Genjitsu Sekai wo mo Musou Suru: Level Up wa Jinsei wo Kaeta Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2023

231 by Igloos »»
Mar 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Isekai de Cheat Skill wo Te ni Shita Ore wa, Genjitsu Sekai wo mo Musou Suru: Level Up wa Jinsei wo Kaeta Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2023

78 by Protoz »»
Feb 19, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Isekai de Cheat Skill wo Te ni Shita Ore wa, Genjitsu Sekai wo mo Musou Suru: Level Up wa Jinsei wo Kaeta Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2023

288 by Smythe32 »»
Feb 2, 9:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.