Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 22, 7:06 PM

Nov 2018
When searching for new anime to watch, I've gone ahead and browsed through thousands of entries and dropped those that I either cannot find, cannot access (either via paywall or irl or removed from the internet), or are known to be lost media. And sometimes, these entries gets rediscovered or have their video uploaded online for the first time after being added to the DB years ago. For that reason, I've dropped these entries, but I think it would be great to filter out the known lost media entries when you search for anime (and manga), even when it says "lost media" is in its description (why would I want those titles appearing in my search results?)

I propose that the DB admins add in a new tag that can flag these entries as lost media. For this idea, I was thinking we add something like this:

Lost Media: Option Selected
The options you can choose from are:
- Yes (entirely unaccessible)
- No (completely accessible)
- Partial (some episodes are missing or lost to time, or only a small amount of content is available and the rest is gone (like a 30 second clip of a 4 minute short film))

Of course, only the DB mods can make these changes from their end, and users can submit these changes if they reply to a dedicated forum post explaining why the anime or manga is lost media.

This would be a great QOL update when searching through older entries going all the way back to the 1910's.

@Kwanthemaster
_cjessop19_Mar 22, 7:13 PM

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 22, 8:03 PM
Oct 2019
Yeah I second that would definitely help the filtering.
Mar 25, 3:07 PM

Jan 2020
It would be good but also quite difficult to state what is actually "available", like, would available media count the anime that aren't available by legal means?
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Mar 25, 10:51 PM

Nov 2018
Reply to eblf2013
It would be good but also quite difficult to state what is actually "available", like, would available media count the anime that aren't available by legal means?
@eblf2013 As long as we know that a physical or digital copy is stored somewhere irl or online, then it isn't lost media. Even if it's unavailable online, cause it may be uploaded and then removed from where it was uploaded to by the creator/publisher. The legality of viewing it isn't really important.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 25, 11:24 PM

Mar 2008
But sometimes the status changes too. Not entirely against this i just dont see how well it would be maintained.
Mar 26, 12:00 AM

Nov 2018
Reply to traed
But sometimes the status changes too. Not entirely against this i just dont see how well it would be maintained.
@traed We can always tag a DB mod or make a forum request if an episode of an anime is found. There are dozens of us on MAL who track the DB closely.

3 hours ago
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Apologies for not replying to this sooner. I think this is a decent suggestion, but if we are going to limit this to only things we truly believe are lost (what I think is best), the list will be pretty small, because there's no reason to suggest that the majority of the things unavailable online are actually lost (e.g. all of those educational OVAs).

There also comes into question things like the Anime Beans series, of which some are entirely unavailable now, but a couple users like myself had the opportunity to view while it was still up. I certainly wouldn't want having these in my list to be used against us. Then consider the few which were ripped - technically there is no offical means to view them, but it's also wrong to call them lost, so MAL is in the position of having to acknowledge the sources to be accurate.

Personally, I think something like this could be managed in a club because of the complications that could arise, but I do see the usefulness of allowing them to be searched for/filtered, so I guess it depends on how it's implemented and if it can be managed well.

More topics from this board

» Sort list by date added

Profaneprayer - Mar 12, 2019

17 by Alexioos95 »»
9 hours ago

» Way of setting all titles to the English version by default

skyblade743 - Apr 9

5 by skyblade743 »»
11 hours ago

» Blocked function is kinda poor?

zech - Yesterday

4 by JKKH »»
Yesterday, 6:01 PM

» Remove Ignored Topics From Recent Anime Discussion Panel

PlasticRobot - Mar 23

2 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 8:56 AM

» Increase ignored topics limit

Cnon - Aug 23, 2017

8 by S_h_a_r_k_93 »»
Yesterday, 6:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.