Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 3, 2010 6:56 PM

Nov 2007
This topic is for general issues, recognition problems go to another one.

If you're reporting a problem for the first time, providing the operating system you're on (such as Windows 7 x64) along with any detail you think that might be related would higher the odds for us to be able to find a solution.

Known bugs:
■ Communication between Taiga and jetAudio sometimes leads to a crash.
■ Anime list is not refreshed, event queue is not updated even manually when updates are disabled.

XP-only:
■ 64-bit versions of media players are not properly recognized on XP x64.
■ Various ListView control issues

Common problems:
■ If you don't see your online list get updated even though you did from Taiga some minutes or hours ago, that's probably because of MAL's laggy nature. Just give it some more time, duh. See this forum topic for more information.
erengyJul 5, 2017 5:07 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (23) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 9, 2010 10:14 PM

May 2008
If you have your list filtered to only show series with new episodes, and then use your list to launch the next one, the entry will disappear from the list even if there are multiple new episodes beyond that one. Also, it will not reappear even if you recheck for new episodes.

I am a banana.
Jun 10, 2010 12:29 AM

Nov 2007
Oh, nice catch. Features that I don't use often are more likely to be buggy I guess. I'll fix that by... removing the feature! =p

Okay, it's fixed now.
Jun 10, 2010 11:05 PM

May 2008
If you run a list search from the top right box and then do a filter reset, your entire list will show in the active tab instead of only the entries with that watching status.

I imagine it's supposed to reset the filters to the unfiltered search results.... though clearing the search and going back to the normal list is an acceptable behavior too.

Screenshot:
sakaJun 10, 2010 11:38 PM

I am a banana.
Jun 11, 2010 12:05 AM

Nov 2007
Fixed. After filter reset it returns to the current tab and cleans up the search box now. Searching and changing tabs should be a little faster too thanks to text callbacks.

Will upload a new build today along with some other changes.
Jun 11, 2010 2:43 PM

May 2008
If there is no episode number in the filename (as common with movies or ovas that only have one episode), no updates will occur. If I add a number 1 or 01 to the filename it updates normally.

I am a banana.
Jun 11, 2010 9:25 PM

Nov 2007
There was a silly mistake at episode validation, should be fixed now.
Jun 12, 2010 11:49 AM

May 2008
If you click the Login/Logout button repeatedly, the program will crash.

I am a banana.
Jun 12, 2010 12:01 PM

Nov 2007
Solution: Hands off!

Well, it doesn't crash on me. Maybe because I'm using the latest build (20100612) as I slightly changed the way it works, or is it because my connection is slower than yours? Can you try again with the latest one?
Jun 12, 2010 12:17 PM

May 2008
nope, still does it:

Seems to crash on the Login after logging out. It doesn't really need to be clicked quickly either.... just once every second and a half or something -- as long as you hit login while it's still logging out.

One of the times I tried, it simply grayed the button for a while and then gave me HTTP Error #12002 in the status bar (without crashing), which is a timeout. It does seem to be connection related, such as when mal is slow or unreachable. Now that the connection problem cleared, I can't seem to reproduce it anymore myself.

And of course, I forgot to check the crash details....

Edit: Figured it out! It only happens when you have previous updates in the list (list items with a check mark). If you set a couple series episodes, and then toggle the Logout/Login button you'll see the crash every time.

Also, it seems that when there are 'check-marked' items in the list, they will update every time you login until you reset the list by clearing filters or checking for new episodes, etc.
sakaJun 12, 2010 12:26 PM

I am a banana.
Jun 12, 2010 1:09 PM

Nov 2007
Logging out is instant though. It only changes the status and toolbar texts along with an internal variable, which takes less than a millisecond. It doesn't send any information out. It is not possible to "hit login while it's still logging out". Maybe you were-- Oh, you figured it out already. Check mark means "update succeeded". It's just an indicator but helped spotting the problem now. Taiga was trying to access an item in the event buffer which was not there, hence the "subscript out of range" error. Fixed.

As a side note, I think there should be a Nobel Prize or something for beta testers like you. (: Thanks.
Jun 12, 2010 1:38 PM

May 2008
Ah, that explains it. :3

I am a banana.
Jun 12, 2010 6:21 PM

May 2008
I guess this is partially opinion, but I don't think the 'Play random episode' feature should be so literal. If you have an entire series on disk, you are likely to play episodes which are beyond your current progress. The way it is currently, your updates can become very misleading (imagine playing the last episode of a series randomly and suddenly it's complete!).

It seems like they should be limited to min(current_episode + 1, total_episodes) so that you are limited to episodes you've seen or the next episode you haven't.

I am a banana.
Jun 13, 2010 12:20 AM

Nov 2007
I admit that's something I did not consider before, as I generally use "ask to confirm" update mode. But if you don't want to risk it you can logout or simply disable updates for a while before playing a random episode. On the other hand, some other people might want to take a glance to episodes they haven't watched yet to see what's coming. They can do that by selecting a random episode number from the list by hand too, but well, that's what the feature is for.
Jul 3, 2010 12:55 PM

May 2008
for the episode number, could you run the number through str2int() or otherwise trim the leading zeros? It doesn't really make sense to display "05/26" as it is in most areas. I suppose there was some conceivable benefit for troubleshooting the number recognition early on, but it isn't really useful anymore and looks odd.

It's especially weird when it turns up like that in mirc/messenger/skype/twitter/http announces.

I am a banana.
Jul 3, 2010 11:06 PM

Nov 2007
I actually prefer seeing them with leading zeros, but of course that's not the reason why I left them that way. The thing is, episode value is not always a single number and may include non-numeric characters as in "[Shinsen-Subs]_Gintama_-_11&12_[E8BD20AD].avi". Taiga shows the episode value of this file as "11&12" and updates your list using the last value (12). It may also be formed of a bigger interval like "01-26" which is especially common in batch torrent files.

If how it looks is the only thing that bothers you, I can add some new functions to scripting so you can use "$str2int(%episode%)" or "$triml(%episode,0)".
Jul 4, 2010 12:45 AM

May 2008
hmmm makes sense... I wasn't thinking about multi-episode files. I still think it's possible to remove the leading zeros for display though. The range numbers are already being parsed (or at least the last one) so stripping leading zeros off those is just as possible. It shouldn't complicate the code significantly.

08-09 -> 8-9

I just don't like the leading zeros in display fields... I don't mind if the string stays mostly in tact. If you don't want it stripped globally, then it should at least be stripped in the format string versions. It looks inconsistent if you're watching episode 03/3 of an ova.
sakaJul 4, 2010 12:49 AM

I am a banana.
Jul 4, 2010 12:13 PM

May 2008
for entries in plan to watch, the %watched% value in the format string is '-' instead of an integer, so it messes up in the now-default $if($greater(%episode%,%watched%),Watching,Re-watching)...

'-' is greater than '1' so it shows as rewatching when you watch the first episode.

edit: sorry it's the empty string and not a hyphen but same idea... $greater returns false probably when there's a type mismatch.
sakaJul 4, 2010 12:33 PM

I am a banana.
Jul 11, 2010 11:30 PM

May 2008
On the new RSS downloader, the uTorrent path isn't saved properly. It seems to keep resetting to C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe when I restart Taiga, even though I set it to C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe a few times now (I run 64-bit windows). Maybe I need to reset a settings file or something?

I am a banana.
Jul 12, 2010 4:53 AM

Nov 2007
That's really strange... It seems settings are not saved when application path is selected through the file dialog but it works if you enter it manually. I'm looking into it now.

Edit: Fixed. I didn't know GetOpenFileName API changes the current working directory of the whole process... (There is probably a Data folder in your uTorrent folder with a Settings.xml file in it, you may want to delete it.)
erengyJul 12, 2010 5:24 AM
Jul 12, 2010 10:30 AM

May 2008
ah sure enough. thanks.

I am a banana.
Aug 1, 2010 6:05 PM

May 2008
Seems like if an update gets queued that the number in the visible list is not changed. Because of this, if you try to watch the next episode when the last one is queued you will get the same episode again.

It seems like the queued updates should show in the list, so you can intuitively synchronize after a period of offline viewing.

Also, I had a queued event sitting in queue for more than an hour despite being online and logged in... maybe there was a network error or something. I opened the queue and manually updated which worked fine, but I was wondering what kind of situations cause events to be queued and the queue to be cleared?
sakaAug 1, 2010 6:10 PM

I am a banana.
Aug 1, 2010 8:18 PM

Nov 2007
Yep, currently your local list gets updated at the same time with the remote one not to mess up synchronization. Updates just wait in the queue until then. It causes some other problems if you have selected to ignore episodes that are out of range, along with the one you mentioned. I've been planning to change this behavior for a while now but couldn't decide how to do it exactly yet. Will do eventually.

As for your other concern, Taiga doesn't check the event queue periodically. It just checks it as soon as another event happens, like another event gets added to the queue or you decide to re-log. I guess I can add a timer which does checking in every five minutes or so.
Sep 5, 2010 11:38 AM

May 2008
I noticed that when you search for new episodes (locally), taiga finds any file that matches regardless of extension, and when you subsequently tell it to play that next episode it will do nothing at all.

I have utorrent set so that it uses its ".!ut" extension for incomplete files, and similarly direct downloads from firefox would have a ".part"... and both of these are detected as they are downloading even if they are not (yet) valid video files. When I try to play an incomplete file from taiga nothing seems to happen (the status bar doesn't change, there is no notification at all that the file could not be played). Perhaps it is just because there is no default application for these types, but it is slightly confusing. It would be better to either not detect them at all, or detect them and give a notification of some kind if no application can play it.

Maybe there's a regular expression you're using that just doesn't have a $ at the end?

I am a banana.
Sep 30, 2010 1:29 PM

May 2008
Not sure if this was already known, but the twitter notification doesn't seem to work any longer (since twitter changed the API to require OAuth back in August). Might want to disable it until it can be fixed.

I am a banana.
Oct 4, 2010 1:28 PM

May 2008
For some reason, Taiga crashes every time I go to update Tales of Symphonia: Tethe'alla Hen - Mata Aeta ne: Shougeki no Judgement!

It seems to successfully update on mal's side but crashes before updating the local list (since it has not changed when I relaunch Taiga but it is correct online and after refreshing list data). No data seems to be lost in the crash.

To reproduce this, add Tales of Symphonia: Tethe'alla Hen - Mata Aeta ne: Shougeki no Judgement! to your list, and then try to change its status with Taiga.

screenshot:

I am a banana.
Oct 4, 2010 2:24 PM

Nov 2007
The reason for the crash was that anime title exceeded the maximum allowed length of 64 characters for balloon tooltip titles, which caused a buffer overflow. Title is now truncated if it's longer than 64 characters.

I also fixed the issues with your previous two messages. Well, Twitter notifications are not fixed but disabled for now.
Oct 4, 2010 3:31 PM

May 2008
awesome, thanks. :3

I am a banana.
Oct 11, 2010 2:36 PM
Sep 2009
Ive been trying out Taiga as in I wanted something that I could use to keep track while I wasnt connected to the internet.

Ive noticed some things that I would like to point out, the first being that if I play an episode from a series that I already have in my 'completed' section, it will change that series to the 'Currently Watching' section at that episode.

Secondly, as I think I saw Saka mention, it would be nice to see the queued update number on the list.

and third is something that just happened when I connected just now, I had several series that were updated. It updated some of them successfully but then again a few of them failed. I have no idea what caused this though, but it seemed like every other update didnt go through.
Oct 15, 2010 3:50 PM

Nov 2007
SSXVegeta said:
Ive noticed some things that I would like to point out, the first being that if I play an episode from a series that I already have in my 'completed' section, it will change that series to the 'Currently Watching' section at that episode.

Hmm, I've recently rewatched some series that I'd completed before, but it never did that for me. Now I tried to reproduce the issue with several episodes and different settings, but couldn't succeed. Spooky.

SSXVegeta said:
Secondly, as I think I saw Saka mention, it would be nice to see the queued update number on the list.

Will do... Eventually. ^^;

SSXVegeta said:
and third is something that just happened when I connected just now, I had several series that were updated. It updated some of them successfully but then again a few of them failed. I have no idea what caused this though, but it seemed like every other update didnt go through.

It's probably related to MAL being down for maintenance at that time. Let me know if this problem arises again, I'll do some tests.
Oct 24, 2010 9:51 PM
Sep 2009
Something else happened a few days ago, when I connected to the internet, I turned on Taiga so it would update the things that I had watched, and it went completely crazy....it moved things that I had in my completed section to my dropped section, etc etc. and these were shows that I didnt even open... So I thought I would mention this as well.. since then, its been working perfectly though

and I could tell you what I have the settings on if that would help any.
Oct 25, 2010 1:29 AM

May 2008
I've been using taiga since early after its release and have never had issues with entries switching status.... I guess it's conceivable that a weird mysql error on the mal side might have caused the status to zero out on some entries, but that would likely have affected more than a couple entries in your list. If the problem miraculously disappears after a list refresh then you can almost certainly blame mal's database issues.

I am a banana.
Oct 30, 2010 5:57 PM
Sep 2009
Wanted to come back and point out that that the last problem was most likely my systems fault, as I seem to be having some major computer issues~
Nov 1, 2010 5:13 PM

Apr 2009
I'm using PotPlayer, now, I was surprised it was supported in the first place as MAL Updater does not. However, it doesn't explode the title too well right now as PotPlayer also puts the playlist number in the title during playback. For example, if you play the fifth video file out of 10, it will put [5/10] in front of the title. This causes Taiga to recognize 5/10 as the sub group. Not that big of a deal though, I suppose.

I also noticed the re-watch thing isn't really implemented. If you tick the re-watch box on MAL nothing really happens on Taiga. Then if you add one episode manually on Taiga it'll switch to 'Currently Watching'.

Personal note: Great job on it so far. I actually prefer it over MAL Updater as that feels kind of bloated and confusing at times, and of course, it doesn't support my player at all. I hope you can keep working on this, though if you can't. Well, you can't.
Nov 2, 2010 1:19 AM

Feb 2008
Oh, if we already at it, it doesn't recognizes PotPlayer for me.
PotPlayer (64bit) 1.5 (build 24134) - beta
Because of x64?
Nov 2, 2010 7:40 AM

Apr 2009
maLakai said:
Because of x64?

That's likely. I'm using the x86 version because the x64 one isn't compatible with MadVR.
Nov 3, 2010 10:06 AM

Nov 2007
Viscerous said:
I'm using PotPlayer, now, I was surprised it was supported in the first place as MAL Updater does not. However, it doesn't explode the title too well right now as PotPlayer also puts the playlist number in the title during playback. For example, if you play the fifth video file out of 10, it will put [5/10] in front of the title. This causes Taiga to recognize 5/10 as the sub group. Not that big of a deal though, I suppose.

I left it this way, because I didn't want to hardcode erasing the [5/10] part. Maybe I'll add support for regular expressions to deal with this kind of things; that should be a nice solution I think.

Actually, if you're familiar with XML files, you can edit Media.xml to fix this by yourself. Just find PotPlayer from the list and change the <mode> value from 0 to 1, Taiga will read the file name directly from the file handle instead of the window title this way.

Viscerous said:
I also noticed the re-watch thing isn't really implemented. If you tick the re-watch box on MAL nothing really happens on Taiga. Then if you add one episode manually on Taiga it'll switch to 'Currently Watching'.

Okay, don't laugh: I still have no idea how re-watching works ^^; I simply haven't used that feature even once since I joined MAL, which is of course, not a valid excuse if you're writing a program for it.

Viscerous said:
Personal note: Great job on it so far. I actually prefer it over MAL Updater as that feels kind of bloated and confusing at times, and of course, it doesn't support my player at all. I hope you can keep working on this, though if you can't. Well, you can't.

I wouldn't go out to say bloated, but it surely has some serious design issues. That feeling of confusion was one of the main reasons I started this project and keeping that aside, it's good to have alternatives, isn't it? (:

maLakai said:
Because of x64?

Yep, 64-bit version is somehow not recognized, though I'm not sure why. I'll try to fix this as soon as I change my OS, though I'm not sure when. (What the bleep do I know?)
Nov 3, 2010 12:08 PM

Feb 2008
I'm almost always has something re-watching... Right now I just set it on MAL, then it appear as currently watching. Taiga actually thinks it's simply currently watching, but doesn't overwrites the re-watching status if I update the episode number from there.

I don't know if the API has any connections for re-watching and I'm lazy to check it out or if Taiga uses the API or not, but anyway.

You can set a show to re-watching in the edit details when it's already completed, other way the option doesn't appear.
So in editlist.php there is an input#rewatchingBox[type=checkbox] for completed animes. ^_^
Nov 3, 2010 12:41 PM

May 2008
erengy said:
Viscerous said:

Okay, don't laugh: I still have no idea how re-watching works ^^; I simply haven't used that feature even once since I joined MAL, which is of course, not a valid excuse if you're writing a program for it.
The methodology for re-watching is this:
  • The Re-watching checkbox on mal is not meant for individual episodes, but for entire series. So suppose a series has 26 episodes; if you are rewatching on episode 5, then that means you should have watched all 26 and then the first 5 again.
  • Re-watching series are considered Completed at a number less than the total.... so the internal status is "Completed at 5/26", and there is logic added to say Re-watching instead of completed (in fact, Xinil forgot to add this logic on some parts of the site like the panel, so friends updates show as completed but then rewatching when you click on their profile).
  • Upon watching the final episode (26/26), the Re-watching checkbox is automatically unchecked and the Times Rewatched counter is incremented (mostly for preserving the watching time stats on profile).

I am a banana.
Nov 18, 2010 10:31 AM

Nov 2007
saka said:
Seems like if an update gets queued that the number in the visible list is not changed. Because of this, if you try to watch the next episode when the last one is queued you will get the same episode again.

It seems like the queued updates should show in the list, so you can intuitively synchronize after a period of offline viewing.

SSXVegeta said:
it would be nice to see the queued update number on the list.

Just finished making necessary changes for this and it seems to be working quite nicely. I also decided to use the light green at the progress bars for queued episodes instead of titles with unknown total episode count from now on. It's going to be in the next update.
Nov 19, 2010 1:03 PM

Feb 2009
erengy said:
saka said:

SSXVegeta said:
it would be nice to see the queued update number on the list.

Just finished making necessary changes for this and it seems to be working quite nicely. I also decided to use the light green at the progress bars for queued episodes instead of titles with unknown total episode count from now on. It's going to be in the next update.

Hey there erengy, I'm gonna look into reimplementing Twitter support into Taiga. I already checked out the code from the Google Project (started yesterday on working on it), so I just need to work on adding it.

I already tried one method but it failed badly, so I'm gonna try another way about it.

Nov 20, 2010 4:37 AM

Nov 2007
To be frank, reimplementing Twitter announcements is something that I myself did not consider doing anytime soon. Using OAuth seems a lot more complicated than basic authentication, so good luck with it. It's also good to hear that there's at least one more person working on Taiga besides me, thanks (: Let me know if you manage to succeed.
Nov 20, 2010 10:17 AM

May 2008
I've been poking around at things but really haven't had time to do anything substantial. I do have some ideas though.

Perhaps we should make a development thread or something if you don't like irc -- or we can make use of the google code services to coordinate things. We need some kind of central hub though for dev before things can really get done.

I am a banana.
Nov 21, 2010 8:33 AM

Feb 2009
erengy: Yeah... OAuth is a pain to handle.. though it will future proof twitter support for a while, until they change to OAuth 2.0 I think...

saka: Agree'd, we need to make use of the google code services more effectively so we can coordinate better.

Nov 22, 2010 3:12 AM

Nov 2007
Google Code doesn't offer anything by itself for developers to discuss on something, but suggests creating a group on Google Groups for it. I just did so, feel free to join: http://groups.google.com/group/taiga-dev
Dec 10, 2010 8:23 PM

Nov 2007
maLakai said:
Because of x64?

Fixed! Turns out that with the method I'd been using, 32-bit processes such as Taiga running in 64-bit systems were not able to retrieve file names of 64-bit modules, in this case, PotPlayer. Tested with PotPlayer 1.5.25819 x64 and it works now.
Dec 15, 2010 7:09 AM

Apr 2009
Hum. Unsure what causes this, but Taiga stops responding when playing (a recognized) file with PotPlayer x86. It starts responding again after stopping the player. This problem was not present in the previous version UNLESS I enabled the recognition method that retrieves titles from the file names. It might be related to the fact the files are on an external hard drive with the exFAT filesystem.

Edit: Yeah fixed by using mode 0 in the media.xml. Obviously this reintroduces the group bug, but whatever.
ViscerousDec 15, 2010 7:30 AM
Dec 16, 2010 4:54 PM

Nov 2007
Mode 1 indeed uses more CPU than others, though it shouldn't cause a complete freeze. In fact, it still uses less than 1% (0.39% for me, according to Process Explorer) of your CPU.

I just formatted one of my flash drives to exFAT and tried running a video from there using PotPlayer x86, but it didn't make any difference for me. I have three suggestions in mind:

1) Try changing the mode of PotPlayer back to 1, copy one of the files from that exFAT drive to one of your internal drives with a different file system and run it from there. If the same file on exFAT freezes Taiga but the other does not, the problem is related with exFAT.

2) If you have any other supported media player installed, try changing that player's mode to 1 and see if it freezes Taiga as well, so we can be sure that the problem is not directly related with PotPlayer.

3) Close Taiga, delete Settings.xml file after taking a backup. Restart Taiga, don't change any other setting than your account information and see if running the same file still freezes Taiga with default settings.
Dec 17, 2010 5:12 AM

Apr 2009
Yeah, I have a Q9550 running @ 3.4GHz, so I doubt it's a matter of processing power.

I have also taken note of your suggestions:
1) It still freezes on another partition on NTFS, so it's not the filesystem.

2) I tried another supported media player, I like things clean so I used Windows Media Player. No problems here in mode 1 (which is the default setting for WMP)

3) Reverted the settings as you said, no go. Same results.

I did some additional testing, and it seems my external video renderer is to blame. When using MadVR 0.34, Taiga freezes. I ran PotPlayer in EVR and it was fine.
Dec 17, 2010 9:12 AM

Nov 2007
I was able to reproduce the issue after changing my video renderer to MadVR. It seems some special handles caused some APIs to hang, it's fixed now. I also did some optimizing so it uses 0.02% less CPU, lol.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (23) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Recognition problems ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

erengy - Jun 3, 2010

300 by Xeroeth »»
Aug 9, 2021 2:24 PM

» any new news on Taiga working?

xDreww - Nov 23, 2019

5 by cHowaito »»
Jul 28, 2021 6:25 AM

» Dark theme?

Hyoretsu - Dec 12, 2019

1 by Squirt_lel »»
Jul 14, 2020 6:59 AM

» Error when synchronizing list (Since MAL API Update)

dadnaya - May 24, 2018

20 by xDreww »»
Nov 23, 2019 5:47 PM

» Twitter posting

zatinho - Mar 27, 2019

0 by zatinho »»
Mar 27, 2019 5:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.