Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 26, 2:32 AM
Oct 2020
He raised Violet ever since she's a kid, and at the end, he fell in love with her. Hot take, but as much as I love the animation, music, story (except the ending), etc, I just don't like the ending. It's like a babysitter who fell in love with the person they raised. The author did an usagi drop. It baffles me why people hate the Usagi Drop manga ending, but don't have a problem with this. Is it because it's not emphasized that much, unlike the Usagi manga? Or is there another reason?

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
-DxP-Jan 27, 9:56 AM
Jan 26, 3:36 AM
May 2023
I mean I get you…. But I don’t get you. Does that make sense?
Jan 26, 3:37 AM

Jan 2009
all is fair in love and war? lol
Jan 26, 3:55 AM

Jul 2015
Basically. There still differences tho, like for example they spared us the details.
I still firmly believe, that their relationship was that of father and daughter. Maybe brother and sister at most. At no point their relationship was presented as romantic one.
KyoAni still handled the ending pretty well by making their relationship ambiguous up to interpretation.
PiromyslJan 26, 4:30 AM

Jan 26, 4:04 AM

Dec 2021
Unlike Usagi Drop, Violet Evergarden wasn't the story of a guy raising a girl. The story was about how Violet discovers and learns human emotions and their diversity. She was exposed to different types of interpretation of the word "Love" throughout the story. So the ending was something that Violet chose as the conclusion. There wasn't a sudden shift in the story. That's why I think these two endings are treated differently.

But if you feel uncomfortable, I doubt anything can be convincing.
Jan 26, 4:08 AM

Sep 2016
The important difference is that in Violet Evergarden the romantic feelings were obvious from the very first minute of episode 1, anyone who didn't realize where this was going is just dense. After seeing the major alive most people expected or hoped this would happen, so the audience didn't get their expectations betrayed like in the Usagi Drop manga. That's why it doesn't make sense to call it an Usagi Drop, what you are talking about is called Wife Husbandry and I don't see it as bad if it's consensual.

ZarutakuJan 27, 2:10 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 26, 5:39 AM
Dec 2021
RealNath said:
He raised Violet ever since she's a kid, and at the end, he fell in love with her. Hot take, but as much as I love the animation, music, story (except the ending), etc, I just don't like the ending. It's like a babysitter who fell in love with the person they raised. The author did an usagi drop. It baffles me why people hate the Usagi Drop manga ending, but don't have a problem with this. Is it because it's not emphasized that much, unlike the Usagi manga? Or is there another reason?

All what your thread really is, it's bitch made
Jan 26, 7:04 AM
Aug 2020
We get you but its only anime its not real life or anything related to u in rl. Im okay with both animes, its only anime plus i love anime romance.
Jan 26, 7:34 AM
Feb 2019
yes, but because Kyoto animation made it it gets a pass.
Jan 26, 7:27 PM
Apr 2023
OK one no point in Violet Evergarden does it show that there’s a romantic relationship it always shows a father and daughter relationship and second of all Kyoto animation gets a pass Now on another point, Japan, give us the manga and novels already
Jan 26, 8:05 PM
Apr 2023
CARZOOt said:

You understand where he’s coming from but you don’t agree. Y’all have done essays in school right?😂
Jan 26, 8:11 PM
May 2023
JayTCU said:
CARZOOt said:

You understand where he’s coming from but you don’t agree. Y’all have done essays in school right?😂

Now how does knowing how to write an essay help me express what I feel, silly goose? 🤡
Jan 26, 8:35 PM

Mar 2013
Reply to Chronon
Unlike Usagi Drop, Violet Evergarden wasn't the story of a guy raising a girl. The story was about how Violet discovers and learns human emotions and their diversity. She was exposed to different types of interpretation of the word "Love" throughout the story. So the ending was something that Violet chose as the conclusion. There wasn't a sudden shift in the story. That's why I think these two endings are treated differently.

But if you feel uncomfortable, I doubt anything can be convincing.
@Chronon

I understand this perspective, and I honestly think this was (partially) the direction they were going for. At the same time, I think this was such an awful way to convey the central theme of the story, regardless if you view it as romantic or not. For what is essentiually a sort of coming of age story where Violet experiences the outside world, moving on from her past with the major to experience the beauty of the outside world, it is contradictory to have her go live on island with the major at the end far away from society.

You could say that this is her choice, but her choice is entirely made up at the whims of the author. The choice the author made for her does not reflect the central themes of the story regarding the pursuit of growth and emotional independence. This ending only works if Violet has a fear of intimacy and getting to close to others, rather than that of pursuing new life in a post-war world as an autodoll.

If you do not understand my point, imagine if I wrote a story like where someone overcomes their shyness and cynicism and befriends others, and I ended it with them biding goodbye to their friends to live alone in the woods. Or imagine a story cautioning against revenge and how it corrupts, where the main character kills their nemesis, where the only difference being their reasoning.

The final actions of these character for these themes just does not jive, and I feel this is the main issue with the ending of Violet Evergarden. If you want to make a story about someone finding emotional independence, we should ask for a story where their actions are more akin to that of emotional independence than lack thereof. More often than not, I would argue that said story would entail living in society and taking part in the greater things of the world.

If you want to indicate character growth, have your characters change, and choose to do things they would not have done before. In my eyes, Violet is simply doing what she would have done at the start of the story just for a different reason, and to me this is generally cheap and ineffective writing; it can work, but it is difficult to truly do.
PeripheralVisionJan 26, 8:44 PM
Jan 27, 12:31 AM

Sep 2022
RealNath said:

I also agree that the ending was kind of ruined because of the romantic aspect. If she said that she learned what he was trying say that would be enough, but no, repeat the same old chant at the Climax 😬😮‍💨🥴. Trying to fix what isn't broken. Otherwise the rest of the story was really good. The main series 👌. The journey of Violet and associating all kind of people as a doll to understand the meaning of 'love' was the one and only good part for me.
Jan 27, 5:36 AM
Aug 2021
Zarutaku said:
The important difference is that in Violet Evergarden the romantic feelings were obvious from the very first minute of episode 1, anyone who didn't realize where this was going is just dense. After seeing the major alive most people expected or hoped this would happen, so the audience didn't get their expectations betrayed like in the Usagi Drop manga. That's why it doesn't make sense to call it an Usagi Drop, what you are talking about is called Wife Husbandry and I don't see it as bad if it's consensual.

I completely agree with this take. What is important to remember is that when Gilbert said « I love you » to Violet she was trying to figure through out the whole story what is the meaning of « Love »
What was it that she was feeling for him and what was it that he was trying to tell her.
The fact that we do not see their relationship helps us also to decide what type of love we want it to be. Because again we just saw a few of their interactions. We can conclude two things he loved her and wanted to protect her but in what way?
Did he do it out of pure kindness and at one point his feelings evolve? Or did he have the desire of being a parent from the get go?
These are questions we can’t answer because we do not know Gilbert personally nor we do have an insight on his relationship with Violet. We just know he was affectionate and kind.
And I am of the opinion that the author did well to leave it at that.
It engages in this narrative of what love do we need or see as romantic or fraternal ??
Now the opinion becomes personal.
Some may want it to be that of a father and daughter may be due to the age gap but others like me see it more as a romantic one.
The author decides now in the last movie to dwell more on that chapter as he has reached the growth he may have wanted Violet to achieve and gives us the answer we have been craving for from the first episode
I can understand the dissatisfaction of some but I think it was bound to happen. That’s the point of the whole story.
The complexity of human feelings and nature.
If I have to give my opinion I have always seen this story as a beautiful love letter from Gilbert to Violet. He gives her the opportunity to live on and learn the things she never could’ve imagined if she stayed a war child.
It is bitter sweet because we see her live with the possibility of what ifs but that also makes the story even more beautiful. So maybe I would’ve left the story incomplete just for the sake of imagination but I still appreciate the ending which is not really an ending but maybe the start of a new chapter.

More topics from this board

» Romance between gilbert and violet ( 1 2 )

NaCreamy - May 7, 2021

75 by Arminken »»
Today, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Movie Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aku_mado - Sep 18, 2020

321 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM

» The ending is horrible in my opinion ( 1 2 3 )

HeSaidArise - Sep 3, 2023

104 by EntireInternet »»
Mar 24, 2:33 PM

» Should I watch the movie or TV show first?

Damon_dinh - Aug 9, 2023

29 by Ronaldthompson »»
Oct 15, 2023 4:50 AM

» Why I do not like Violet ( 1 2 )

theeblueberry - Jun 13, 2023

54 by Pityfool »»
Aug 24, 2023 8:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.