Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 24, 11:18 AM

Aug 2021
After rewatching FMA: B, I've become somewhat interested in original FMA. Are there any things that original FMA does better than FMAB?
Jan 24, 11:30 AM

Jun 2016
The earlier episodes are better paced and feature some scenes that were cut from FMAB.
If you are a fan of how anime were 20 years ago you'll also appreciate the tone of the older series more.
That's it imo. Some people say that the music is better on the original series but I think they're about equal.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 24, 11:34 AM

Mar 2014
I think what the original FMA does better is the initial pacing and introduction of the characters. Since it makes you spend more time with them you get more attached, the emotional impact during the dramatic moments is much stronger.
Jan 24, 11:48 AM
Jul 2019
The episodes that coincide with fmab are a bit better in the original. And one interesting difference is the creation of the homunculi which is a lot darker. Also Lust has a character arc unlike in fmab where she was pretty disappointing
Jan 24, 11:55 AM

Jul 2022
I thought the character development was a lot better in the original series.

As a result, certain events that happen in both versions have a much greater emotional impact in the original since we care about those characters way more.
Jan 24, 12:09 PM
Sep 2016
darker, more mature tone. better handling of early parts. Original FMA also has a great OST, probably better than Brotherhood.
Jan 24, 12:11 PM
Mar 2021
Not only is the character development better, it ends on a massive deviation of a different storyline, in FMAB you never discover what’s behind the Doors but in FMA they start to take a look into that towards the ends of the anime, personally I think the anime has a lot of potential and could of turned out way cooler if they kept that story line going but oh well, it is what it is
Jan 24, 12:28 PM
Jan 2021
-The bond between brothers is better
-Lust is a much better character with proper backstory and ending
-Concept of homunculus is much better explained
-Bond between Izumi and the brother is better
-Izumi's story has really good original content
-Ending is gut wrenching
-Roy mustang has lots of funny moments
-Roy mustang caring about his lonely coworker and actually dedicating time to find him a girl
-The over the top taunts that were annoying don't appear here
-The main antagonist isn't someone generic like Father
-Gluttony is scarier but also we sympathize with him
-Early arcs have better pacing
-Barry the chopper is set up earlier
-Scar isn't some over the top heartless character, he is a sane human in this.
-Edward vs Roy mustang fight
-Opening, ED and bgm are just as good, if not better than brotherhood
-There's an additional movie if the anime ending doesn't work for you
-Edward's feelings towards his father is better shown here
-There is no use of cgi
-It is a much darker show in tone
Jan 24, 12:38 PM
Sep 2019
a really bad ending
Jan 24, 12:53 PM
Jan 2021
it does the first bit alot better, it's also alot darker than brotherhood and the final bit is almost as peak. It's genuinely a very different show after the divergence point so if you like brotherhood you should definitely watch this one as well.
Jan 24, 1:17 PM
Mar 2023
Ending has funny moustache man what else can I say

But on a serious note while I do prefer how brotherhood did the Nina scene the lightning in the og was way better and that goes for most scenes fmab a lighting often is very generic (weird creative but fmab is basically perfect so I struggle to find flaws in it) and I prefer the beginning of fma more than fmab but fmab is just better in every other way besides those like 2 things.

Ok the original fma ops were bangers but so are the fmab ops
Jan 24, 1:54 PM
Feb 2021
The biggest difference between the two series is that the original is a lot darker in tone, there’s not as many goofy moments or silly jokes or chibi style as in the manga or FMAB. With the magnitude of the stakes of FMAB, the antagonist literally trying to overtake God, you would think the series would take itself more serious, but there are so many joking and light hearted moments that it’s kinda hard for me as a reader/viewer to believe the seriousness of what’s at hand.

Another one of the biggest differences is the ending. The 03 ending is very polarizing, me, I actually prefer it to FMAB. No spoilers, but the way it pulled from our real world events was really interesting and to draw back from my earlier statement about the antagonist in FMAB trying to swallow God, it’s just hard to take those kind of stakes serious, even within the mechanics of the story, it just doesn’t feel realistic.
Jan 24, 4:17 PM

Apr 2016
People use to say that first episodes are better in 2003 FMA, but there were filler and major changes since the very beginning.

Anyway, alternate ending of 2003 is not bad, but after watching Brotherhood it just feels underwhelming. Also, it leaves some plot open, and you have the movie in order to know what happens next. And the movie is not really good, so...
Jan 24, 5:26 PM
May 2015
Hilariously bad takes in this thread but what would I expect from people who actually liked the original anime I guess. Also the original FMA is the FMA manga, which is the best version of the story. I would suggest reading the manga over watching the 03 anime any day.
Jan 24, 5:30 PM
May 2015
Just_pablo_999 said:
Not only is the character development better, it ends on a massive deviation of a different storyline, in FMAB you never discover what’s behind the Doors but in FMA they start to take a look into that towards the ends of the anime, personally I think the anime has a lot of potential and could of turned out way cooler if they kept that story line going but oh well, it is what it is

The anime is a mess, it’s not wasted potential. It’s like people don’t even know there was a manga at all.
Jan 24, 5:33 PM
May 2015
_syedmuhammad__ said:
-Ending is gut wrenching
-Roy mustang caring about his lonely coworker and actually dedicating time to find him a girl
-There is no use of cgi

Tell me you didn’t understand FMA without telling me you didn’t understand FMA.
Jan 24, 6:00 PM
Jan 2021
ShamankinguYoh said:
_syedmuhammad__ said:
-Ending is gut wrenching
-There is no use of cgi

TF you here for ? The guy asked about the differences with better things and that's what I told him. Keep your "idea of understanding" to yourself.
Jan 24, 6:48 PM
May 2022
A better soundtrack, broader thematic material, better character work for at least a third of the cast, more mature tone and pacing, and a vastly better adaptation of the material it covers from the manga (seriously Hughes’ death hits so much harder in the original).

I personally like it more, but I can completely understand preferring Brotherhood (as most people do it seems), and the original does get pretty messy at times. That being said, I think it’s a stone cold classic and absolutely deserves a watch.
Jan 24, 7:24 PM

Feb 2018
I believe that the reason Brotherhood had such great impact on me and a good amount of people was because of the original, without the original, I probably would have dropped FMAB before it started to get amazing,

if you like FMAB you will most likely enjoy watching the original and vice versa, you get more FMA by watching both, and even though it's the same story animated differently, the original has a more "darker" tone, for the lack of a better word, and the ending is good but in a completely different direction from Brotherhood, I believe both series are great because of the other, and I do think that people who have not seen both are missing out on the complete FMA experience.
Jan 24, 7:38 PM
May 2015
AkiraMiyazaki17 said:
A better soundtrack, broader thematic material, better character work for at least a third of the cast, more mature tone and pacing, and a vastly better adaptation of the material it covers from the manga (seriously Hughes’ death hits so much harder in the original).

I personally like it more, but I can completely understand preferring Brotherhood (as most people do it seems), and the original does get pretty messy at times. That being said, I think it’s a stone cold classic and absolutely deserves a watch.

Messy at times? The whole thing is a mess. The only people who prefer the 03 anime over the manga and brotherhood are nostalgia heads for their first FMA related material in the original anime. So much of it is just bad or makes no sense at all. How is that a classic? You have to jump through hoops and overlook/ ignore a considerable amount of material to even consider it good.
Jan 24, 7:42 PM
May 2015
Lilyari said:
I believe that the reason Brotherhood had such great impact on me and a good amount of people was because of the original, without the original, I probably would have dropped FMAB before it started to get amazing,

if you like FMAB you will most likely enjoy watching the original and vice versa, you get more FMA by watching both, and even though it's the same story animated differently, the original has a more "darker" tone, for the lack of a better word, and the ending is good but in a completely different direction from Brotherhood, I believe both series are great because of the other, and I do think that people who have not seen both are missing out on the complete FMA experience.

Nah, the complete FMA experience is the manga. The 2003 anime is a baffling and unconvincing alternate universe project. People continue to forget the FMA project even had actual source material even though it’s the best version of the story. Insane.
Jan 24, 7:47 PM
May 2015
_syedmuhammad__ said:
ShamankinguYoh said:

TF you here for ? The guy asked about the differences with better things and that's what I told him. Keep your "idea of understanding" to yourself.

Most of your points are opinions, and bad ones at that.
Jan 25, 1:26 AM
Aug 2021
Ending of Brotgerhood is better, the ending are significantlydifferent. From memory, the first 3-4 Brotherhood episodes take 10-12 episodes in the origional?
I watched the origional first, don't really get all the hate. It's better than most anime just has a bad ending.
Jan 25, 7:30 AM
Nov 2019
It has better pacing than brotherhood imo. Also surprisingly Lust actually has an important role (since everything after a certain point is anime original) and her character arc is honestly one of the best in the series. It also has a darker tone.
thischeetobussinJan 25, 7:40 AM
Jan 25, 7:43 AM
Jul 2023
The tiny mini skirts scene lol

Okey being honest, I think FMA is much funnier
Jan 25, 8:21 AM
May 2022
ShamankinguYoh said:
AkiraMiyazaki17 said:

Messy at times? The whole thing is a mess. The only people who prefer the 03 anime over the manga and brotherhood are nostalgia heads for their first FMA related material in the original anime. So much of it is just bad or makes no sense at all. How is that a classic? You have to jump through hoops and overlook/ ignore a considerable amount of material to even consider it good.

God every time I talk about this opinion I get quoted by some butthurt brotherhood fan without an ounce of emotional maturity. I didn’t even watch the original series until around 2 years ago, and I was instantly struck by how much more adult it is. It really isn’t that confusing and—outside of the wrath subplot (which is stupid I will admit) and the last episode, it is a hell of a lot more compelling than some of the source material. I can’t be bothered to hear you recycle the same 3 points; I’m glad you have your own opinion that you can’t shut up about until the entire world has heard it, but I am not interested.
Jan 25, 8:25 AM

May 2010
I felt more of an emotional connection to the older anime. I also thought FMAB had certain battle sequences drawn out over multiple eousoand felt like too much. I don't mind if others feel differently about it, though, it's just my personal enjoyment and taste.
Jan 25, 8:45 AM

Oct 2020
Better earlier episodes withouth a doubt
Jan 25, 10:58 AM
May 2015
AkiraMiyazaki17 said:
ShamankinguYoh said:

God every time I talk about this opinion I get quoted by some butthurt brotherhood fan without an ounce of emotional maturity. I didn’t even watch the original series until around 2 years ago, and I was instantly struck by how much more adult it is. It really isn’t that confusing and—outside of the wrath subplot (which is stupid I will admit) and the last episode, it is a hell of a lot more compelling than some of the source material. I can’t be bothered to hear you recycle the same 3 points; I’m glad you have your own opinion that you can’t shut up about until the entire world has heard it, but I am not interested.

Its because you people keep reiterating nonsense. It’s not a confusing series, it’s just bad. Full stop, it doesn’t do a good job of adopting the original concepts of Fullmetal Alchemist and transforming them into a coherent and compelling alternative story. And for a series with such an awful ending and a terrible sequel movie, it’s surprising people liked it as much as they did. Great job parroting the same tired “it’s darker/ more adult/ less shonen” nonsense like that matters even if it were true. Again you have to overlook ridiculous, inane garbage in order to enjoy it, and the storytelling, world building, character writing and thematic content are abysmal compared to the actual series, but it’s nice that people seem to enjoy disrespecting the source material so they can circlejerk their “I’m cool I like the original FMA anime more”. I don’t care if you think I’m repeating other talking points, it’s no different from what all you people do with constant Ignoring and hand waiving blatant massive flaws with the series just because it’s “adult” get out of here.
ShamankinguYohJan 25, 11:02 AM
Jan 25, 2:36 PM
Mar 2021
In the oiginal FMA, Alphonze's VA sounds more like Linus from the Peanuts and I liked it a lot more.
Jan 25, 9:00 PM
Jan 2024
FMAB is a much better story overall and you can really feel the everything was planned from the beginning, because it was. It follows the manga closely and coveys the authors original intent. The anime also assumes that you have watched the original FMA, thus spends much less time on the introductory portions that are very similar.

Original FMA spends more time introducing characters but shifts even early plot elements around to shit the altered narrative. This even causes some characters to be different ages or not even exist. More time is spent on different homunculi. Some of the sin names are switched around too because certain characters don’t exist or are swapped for other ones. Basically, ‘03 takes plot points and swaps the characters that are involved or the timing they take place, causing a very different narrative.

I think both are good watches. At least watch the beginning of ‘03 for the good character intros, but I think the plot and explanations/justifications for certain events break down the more you get into it. You just get the sense that something is missing or was abandoned and they scrambled to make something fit. The beginning is great, don’t get me wrong, definitely worth a watch.

Spoilers from here on out

The child Pride from FMAB does not exist in FMA. The Fuhrer, who is Wrath in FMAB, is called Pride in FMA. Wrath in FMA is created the Izumi’s dead child as a result of her failed human transmutation. He someone has Edward’s missing limbs.

Sloth from FMAB also doesn’t exist. He is replaced by Trisha, who becomes a homunculus as a result of Ed and Al’s failed human transmutation. The failed human alchemy is the origin of homunculi in this world.

Envy is Ed and Al’s brother technically in the original FMA I forget exactly how that’s the case.

Lust gets a whole character arc. I think gluttony is the same, and I forget about Greed.

The Oroborus insignia has a totally different meaning in ‘03. I remember they highlight it a lot, whereas is FMAB it really just signifies a homunculus.

The childbirth seen in FMA occurs with Hughes’s wife and their daughter, so she is much younger compared to Brotherhood. It also happens way earlier in the series. So the childbirth scene in the automail town doesn’t happen in the original FMA.

Those are the main differences I remember, besides the plot itself being different.
Jan 28, 12:52 PM
Mar 2020
A good story about brotherhood.
Jan 28, 11:47 PM

Jun 2021
Winry's tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitsssssssssssssssssss are not therefore it is inferior, tiiiiiiiiiiiiitsssssssssss.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Jan 29, 12:17 AM
Apr 2021
fma 2003 had a better sence on tone, especially when it came to the beginning of the series, which got kinda butchered in fmab.
Also fma 2003 is more character driven, rather than fma which id say is more plot driven.

It's worth to mention also that it has an amazing soundtrack and everyone working on it did a great job.

Im not saying it's perfect, since it has some inconsistenties, but overall it's worth the watch.
Jan 29, 12:29 AM

Jan 2024
Darker atmosphere. Also it handled the Shou Tucker / Nina arc much better.
Jan 30, 9:27 PM
Nov 2023
“One day when I become furher, all the female officers I’ll be required to wear tiny mini skirts!” Is only in FMA
Feb 12, 1:09 PM

Mar 2012
A much better story
End Zionazism
Feb 14, 2:27 AM
Nov 2016
Being a good anime.

Original FMA is a decent seinen-like while Brotherhood is the Mcdonalds of shounens.
Feb 14, 12:37 PM

Aug 2020
The characters are better written and the story isn't hollywoodianesque

Feb 19, 2:49 PM
Nov 2016
FMA offers better characters and a better story, plus the atmosphere is a lot darker there, it feels more like a seinen and feels more mature, FMAB on the other hand, feels more like a 10-year-old kid's show, and don't even get me started with the godawful comedy in FMAB, it's one of the worst comedies around.
Apr 3, 12:27 PM
Jun 2016
I actually watched the original FMA before Brotherhood (which I think is the best order to watch both series) and while I definitely think Brotherhood is superior, I do think the earlier episodes of FMA (2003) are better paced, have better character introductions and have better atmosphere than the first 13-14 episodes of Brotherhood and some characters do get more screen time and development in the original, like Maes Hughes and Lust. Also, the original has the Brothers (Bratja) theme and let's just say, it's such a shame that it wasn't in Brotherhood and Melissa (the 1st op to FMA (2003)) is my favourite opening theme out of any of the FMA openings. It's a banger.

But when it comes to storytelling, plot, action, scale, scope and overall writing, then Brotherhood 100% gets my vote as the superior of the two. It's my all-time favourite Anime actually. I gave FMA (2003) a 9/10, while I give Brotherhood a 10/10.

More topics from this board

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.