Forum Settings
Forums

How would the manga industry look like today if every manga took at least 1 month or more to release 1 chapter?

New
Jan 8, 6:08 PM

Mar 2013
In the American comic book industry, with a few exceptions such as DC's New 52 and graphic novels in general, having to wait at least a month for a new comic book chapter on a floppy is pretty much the norm on the industry, generally a floppy will come with around 32 pages of content and out of those 32 pages, about 20-24 pages are the actual comic itself and the rest are ads, and a single artist, assuming it can do the penciling, inking and coloring at the same time on a single comic book series and doesn't have any other job or anything that takes too much time on a week, it can easily finish a comic book chapter in a month with a bunch of free days to relax during it (and because of this model, the idea of having assistants is something more optional depending of your artistic abilities, the free time you need in a month such as having a family, etc).

On the other hand, when a manga series has chapters of around 20 pages, they don't come out monthly like with American comic books, instead, they come out weekly on a weekly manga magazine instead, and for weekly (or longer) mangaka, is pretty much obligatory to have assistants and even despite this they can still end up working up to 100 hours a week with little free time on a week in order to make the manga chapters come out on the latest magazine issue before its too late, and ironically despite they only need to do the penciling and inking (and the occasional coloring but most of the time is just placing the screentone stickers on their respective places instead) and it may seem an easy task, especially to people outside japan, is still more work compared to the American comic book industry, while a an amercan comic book can give you 20-24 pages a month, weekly manga on the other hand can give you up to 80-100 pages on the same time period

And yes i know that there are monthly manga magazines (as well biweekly and bimonthly ones), in fact, the majority of manga magazines published in japan are monthly, and yet, they still have to make 40-45 pages a month on simillar circumstances as weekly mangaka with the only difference being less pages a month and maybe more free time per week depending how long it takes to make a manga page because of having to give you less pages a month compared to weekly manga can give it the opportunity to have high quality art compared to the average weekly manga

At this point everyone knows about the frequent mangaka health issues they have to deal with, but what if the manga industry had adopted the american comic book production and release model, especially as early as when tezuka debuted as a mangaka after WWII during the American occupation in japan, would all manga nowadays be in color?, would weekly shonen jump be monthly shonen jump instead? how different would be the manga industry overall compared to the current one?
I know your PTW list is bigger than your completed list.
Jan 8, 9:01 PM

Feb 2016
Eternal-Destiny said:
would all manga nowadays be in color?

Most of today's monthly manga are not in color, so I don't think that would change. Monochrome manga were drawn to save money rather than time, as few Japanese people could afford such luxurious comics after losing a major war.
その目だれの目?
Jan 9, 9:32 AM

Mar 2013
Lucifrost said:
Eternal-Destiny said:

Most of today's monthly manga are not in color, so I don't think that would change. Monochrome manga were drawn to save money rather than time, as few Japanese people could afford such luxurious comics after losing a major war.

Regarding that part, it was mostly about the last 5-6 decades when over time the average japanese person became able to afford full color books and at this point, with a few exceptions, traditional monochrome manga should have been a thing of the past from the Astroboy/early Tezuka era and earlier

and if the manga industry had adopted the comic book model at some point in history (such as during the American occupation of Japan for example) most manga nowadays would have been in full color instead of black and white
Jan 9, 9:47 AM

Mar 2022
I don't see how anything would change, other than magazines maybe being released less frequently.
The siren of a flightless bird

Quietly destroying its cage

Dance, until tonight, with a raised voice-

For I don't want to lose hope!

-Utsuro wo Aogu, Vivid BAS SQUAD
Jan 9, 9:55 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Eternal-Destiny
Lucifrost said:
Eternal-Destiny said:

Regarding that part, it was mostly about the last 5-6 decades when over time the average japanese person became able to afford full color books and at this point, with a few exceptions, traditional monochrome manga should have been a thing of the past from the Astroboy/early Tezuka era and earlier

and if the manga industry had adopted the comic book model at some point in history (such as during the American occupation of Japan for example) most manga nowadays would have been in full color instead of black and white
@Eternal-Destiny
They wouldn't have been full color in the past if it was unaffordable back then. And they remain black & white because it's what everyone is used to.
その目だれの目?
Jan 10, 1:56 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to Lucifrost
@Eternal-Destiny
They wouldn't have been full color in the past if it was unaffordable back then. And they remain black & white because it's what everyone is used to.
@Lucifrost I already know that, there's a reason why I said that full color books became more accessible to the average japanese person over the decades (I know isn't fair to compare the buying power of the 50's with the 80's for example) I just see the fact that most manga is still in black and white, despite they are now are capable to buy full color manga on almost the same frequency as regular manga (with the volumes at least), manga itself is still black and white mostly because it has been "grandfathered" in the industry at this point (and if everything was in full color, it would cost an eye and an organ to buy any manga magazine, even if you are just following nothing but a single manga on a single magazine out of many (and in weekly manga magazines, assuming you are doing the Above thing, you would need to be outright rich if you wanted to buy every issue right after they came out))

Also, I know there are japanese webtoons that are in color just like with Korean and Chinese ones, but webtoons a a whole are still niche in Japan where most people still read black and white manga whereas in the other 2 countries, traditional black and white manhwa and manhua are almost dead on water at best.
Jan 10, 7:50 AM

Feb 2016
I don't understand what anything you just said has to do with weekly vs. monthly serializations.
その目だれの目?
Jan 10, 12:16 PM

Mar 2008
That would mean people would be reading more series at once to fill the gaps but there would be more never completed due to mangaka death and dropped series. It might actually mean the manga industry would drop like the American comic industry dropped where there is a lot less interest in it.
Apr 7, 9:39 AM

Mar 2021
I imagine it would die pretty quickly. Maybe not, though...
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

391 by Zero_xtx »»
3 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

13 by Maou_heika »»
4 hours ago

» How do you read your Manwha/Manhua ?

TheDefCrypt - Yesterday

2 by JaniSIr »»
6 hours ago

» Name of this manhwa?

Notadmin - May 7

1 by ST63LTH »»
Yesterday, 6:17 AM

Poll: » why do some people hate manhwa/ua so much???

FruitPunchBaka - May 6

11 by bcasey25raptor »»
May 7, 11:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.