Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 5, 1:40 AM
Feb 2019
Im currently on episode 11 of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and I must say it’s so underwhelming and boring to watch, the minute I feel as though the story is going to develop and get more interesting, an underwhelming 10 minute fight happens which is boring to watch. Idk if it’s because I just finished Jujutsu kaisen season 2 so my expectations for action is insanely high however, even so I would’ve expected this to be way better because of the constant praise this anime receives. The only thing really pushing me to watch this is a comment that someone made claiming it gets really good after episode 22 and I know someone under this thread will say I’ve pretty much just started the anime so I shouldn’t necessarily be complaining however, I believe a anime should captivate the watcher at least by the 5th episode.
I want to know if it’s true that this anime gets better after episode 22 and why this it’s so loved in the anime community, I’ve genuinely never heard negative criticisms made towards this show
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 5, 1:58 AM

Jun 2011
The first 14 episodes of FMAB are recaps of what was already adapted in the original Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 anime. It was a little too fast-paced for me, but after that, you should be good to go.

I have my own criticism of the show and I do not think it's peak shonen, but it's still a top tier shonen in many facets.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 5, 2:08 AM
Apr 2017
Omg, pls do not repeat my mistake. Drop this show immediately. I also got recommended this, and reviews are positive right? So it will become good right? Right?
I kept on watching, ep 20, 30, 50.. 70... same boring stuff, same emptiness. I watched a lot of anime, like a lot, and FMA is still the most boring show I have seen in my life. But now if i don't like show I drop it immediately, lesson learned.
Some people find something here, but as you said 5 episodes should do. Not 20-30. Even extremely slow starters as Steins Gate are more interesting than this.
Do not torture yourself. There is nothing here.
Jan 5, 2:12 AM
May 2023
bladewade said:
Im currently on episode 11 of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and I must say it’s so underwhelming and boring to watch, the minute I feel as though the story is going to develop and get more interesting, an underwhelming 10 minute fight happens which is boring to watch. Idk if it’s because I just finished Jujutsu kaisen season 2 so my expectations for action is insanely high however, even so I would’ve expected this to be way better because of the constant praise this anime receives. The only thing really pushing me to watch this is a comment that someone made claiming it gets really good after episode 22 and I know someone under this thread will say I’ve pretty much just started the anime so I shouldn’t necessarily be complaining however, I believe a anime should captivate the watcher at least by the 5th episode.
I want to know if it’s true that this anime gets better after episode 22 and why this it’s so loved in the anime community, I’ve genuinely never heard negative criticisms made towards this show

Don't bother, it starts and ends underwhelming
Jan 5, 2:16 AM
Sep 2023
it's one of the best anime ever made and one of my personal favorites. But like any piece of media it cannot please everyone and attain 100% critical acclaim.
Kenjutsu is the art of killing...no matter how you sugarcoat it!

Jan 5, 2:19 AM
Dec 2023
Ya know, I completely respect and can kinda get why y’all say this about Brotherhood, but your the first people I think I’ve seen not like it😂
Jan 5, 2:30 AM
Jan 2021
Snowy1234 said:
Omg, pls do not repeat my mistake. Drop this show immediately. I also got recommended this, and reviews are positive right? So it will become good right? Right?
I kept on watching, ep 20, 30, 50.. 70... same boring stuff, same emptiness. I watched a lot of anime, like a lot, and FMA is still the most boring show I have seen in my life. But now if i don't like show I drop it immediately, lesson learned.
Some people find something here, but as you said 5 episodes should do. Not 20-30. Even extremely slow starters as Steins Gate are more interesting than this.

Yeah man 70 episodes
Jan 5, 2:32 AM

May 2017
In Fullmetal I've found there is less emphasis on fights compared to other shonen, as it also puts more time into things like the mystery of the antagonists, the political landscape, and the emotional moments. There are definitely fights, but what makes them great was the buildup behind it, and subsequently they are found later down the line. I'm not sure what JJK is like, but you mentioned good action so I'm guessing you were expecting epic fights rather than a slower start up? (I'm curious as to what you were expecting, though, if that's okay to ask haha) As another user pointed out, there was less time spent on fleshing things out in the first 14 episodes (unfortunately), due to there being the 2003 version, and as such It's understandable newcomers would not be connected with the show as much.

I Would recommend finishing this first "arc" (up to episode 14) as that's where a big plot twist is revealed and things pick up a little bit more. My advice would be to turn off any expectations and just let the show say what it wants to say- I have found myself in the same position where I think a show will be a certain way and am disappointed when it's not, despite it being good in other qualities. If you still feel like watching the show is a drag, that's okay! If everyone had the same tastes I think the world would be kinda boring anyways :)

It's also important to point out that no show is immune to criticism- FMA/B included. It's been one of my favorite shows for 10 years now, but I can still critique it to death bahaha.
Jan 5, 2:34 AM
May 2016
Btw don't expect too much. Yes it was #1 for a long time, but most of the time it didn't deserve it. Especially in the last 5 years, we've seen better shows.
Jan 5, 2:43 AM

Aug 2019
Then stop watching? I literally don't know why folks make topics like these; instead of ranting that you don't like an anime for whatever reason, simply drop the series and move on.

Although I find it funny that you thought a series from 2009 would have action on-par with JJK in 2023.
Jan 5, 2:54 AM

May 2021
bladewade said:

man, if you don't like it just give a review this is not the section for review. if you're so disappointed just stop watching it's not made for you. taste is subjective not everything what people like will look good for you
Jan 5, 2:54 AM
Feb 2019
Early_Morning said:
Then stop watching? I literally don't know why folks make topics like these; instead of ranting that you don't like an anime for whatever reason, simply drop the series and move on.

Although I find it funny that you thought a series from 2009 would have action on-par with JJK in 2023.

As you can see in my post I clearly stated this anime doesn’t receive criticism so therefore, It’d make sense for me to try and watch it as it’s so praised in the anime community. I clearly didn’t know what I’d be expecting. I also considered dropping it however I wanted to understand what the hype was all about, I made this topic to see what everyone else thought so I don’t know why you’re questioning me about wanting to know other people’s opinion “I literally don’t know why folks make topics like these” you could ask the same thing to literally every topic on MAL.
Jan 5, 2:57 AM
Jul 2020
bladewade said:

FMA is a classic old gen anime
Jujutsu is new gen anime with intensive actions

they are totally different, but I can understand what you mean underwhelming
in this world the fma cannot be #1 anymore, maximum in old categories
I'm getting bored that half the season is full of unqualified crap isekai
Jan 5, 3:05 AM

Oct 2021
If you expect this to be mindless action fantasy like JJK then of course you'll be disappointed.
Jan 5, 3:37 AM
Jun 2021
It gets better. Dont have your expectations too high tho
Jan 5, 4:17 AM
Jun 2021
It was the same for me. I really didn't enjoy watching the show at first, stopping multiple times throughout. I asked some friends if it gets better, with most of them saying they thought it was pretty great the entire time. I ended up putting it on-hold exactly halfway through I think. After a week or two I came back and actually quite enjoyed it. Maybe it's about being in the right mood for watching it, or something like that. If you don't want to drop the show I recommend taking it slow and only watching when you feel like it. While I suffered for the first 32 eps, I pretty much got through the other 32 in a few days or so. Is it as good as the hype suggests? Hell no. But it's still a great show in my opinion.
Jan 5, 4:57 AM

Jul 2015
As someone who possesses some media literacy, I'd say that this show deserves all the praises it gets.

Jan 5, 5:05 AM
Aug 2020
comparing it to jjk just isn't fair. FMA is much more focused on story than fights, and it has a much better story. if you're talking about the animation then yeah there's not a ton of flashing lights like jjk, it's much more grounded
Jan 5, 5:09 AM
May 2015
Modern shonen hype action brainrot has ruined anime fans
Jan 5, 5:12 AM
May 2015
ktg said:
Btw don't expect too much. Yes it was #1 for a long time, but most of the time it didn't deserve it. Especially in the last 5 years, we've seen better shows.

Hell no you haven’t, modern anime is complete dogshit.
Jan 5, 5:31 AM
Jul 2017
I had the exact same issue with the show.

It does everything really well as far storytelling, pace & mystery etc. and yeah around episode 22 it picks up as a whole.

But if you’re looking for a good fight? Turn away immediately. All of the fights are so tame and leave you feeling blue-balled. Just when a fight is about to get interesting, one of the characters runs away as the other watches & allows him to get away clean. There’s never any real sense of danger in any fight seeing as not a single character dies or gets seriously injured via combat. It’s just the same thing every single time. You could actually skip every battle and it wouldn’t matter. I want to see jjk level of combat

It’s a great show don’t get me wrong, it’s just that the fights leave so so much to be desired imo.
Jan 5, 5:46 AM
Feb 2019
ShamankinguYoh said:
Modern shonen hype action brainrot has ruined anime fans

I’ve been an anime fan for a long time and have got to witness great anime although they were “modern” at the time, referring to it as brainrot simply cause you watch anime that came out in 1982 doesn’t make you a better watcher than everyone else
Jan 5, 5:51 AM
Oct 2023
First 14-15 episodes are tough, but understandable why. After that I couldn’t stop watching. I personally praise FMAB for insane consistency, among other things. FMAB doesn’t lose any quality from ep15 until the end.
Jan 5, 5:52 AM

Apr 2022
Early_Morning said:

"stop watching" lol this coming from the same clown who can't do anything else apart from shit on one piece, bleach and god knows what other series after hundreds of episodes is very hilarious. hypocrisy at its finest.
Jan 5, 5:54 AM
May 2015
KarateJones said:

It does everything really well as far storytelling, pace & mystery etc. and yeah around episode 22 it picks up as a whole.

But if you’re looking for a good fight? Turn away immediately. All of the fights are so tame and leave you feeling blue-balled. Just when a fight is about to get interesting, one of the characters runs away as the other watches & allows him to get away clean. There’s never any real sense of danger in any fight seeing as not a single character dies or gets seriously injured via combat. It’s just the same thing every single time. You could actually skip every battle and it wouldn’t matter. I want to see jjk level of combat

It’s a great show don’t get me wrong, it’s just that the fights leave so so much to be desired imo.

Not every shonen is going to be stupid constant brainless hype bait action like JJK, Demon slayer or any of these other trash modern shonen. FMA comes from an era where action in shonen was there to supplement a great story and cast of characters, not as the only selling point like it is today. God I hate what shonen has become.

Also your point isn’t even true, Scar kills Bradley and Bradley kills old man Fuu.
ShamankinguYohJan 5, 5:58 AM
Jan 5, 6:02 AM
Jul 2017
ShamankinguYoh said:
KarateJones said:

Not every shonen is going to be stupid constant brainless hype bait action like JJK, Demon slayer or any of these other trash modern shonen. FMA comes from an era where action in shonen was there to supplement a great story and cast of characters, not as the only selling point like it is today. God I hate what shonen has become.

Also your point isn’t even true, Scar kills Bradley and Bradley kills old man Fuu.

I feel that if fmab came out today instead of then, it would be much more on the level of current animation standards. It’s just that technology/production obviously improves over time

But like i said it’s an amazing show nonetheless, just one personal opinionated gripe that i have
Jan 5, 6:16 AM

Apr 2020
So...you watched 11 out of 64 Episodes - then made a Thread to tell everbody who likes the Show how overrated it is.

Do we even NEED to know anything more?^^
You don't know what you're talking about.

Complete it. Then you can go and try to formulate an opinion.
Jan 5, 6:22 AM

May 2021
Reply to Snowy1234
@Snowy1234 Ep. 70? Now how did you reach that far? Is there a secret tier of eps waiting to be discovered?
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jan 5, 6:57 AM

May 2021
bladewade said:

Yeah, FMAB has a very different vibe from JJK, it's not something to watch for the battles, but rather for the suspence and intrigue the narrative presents, which the first 15 or so eps of Brotherhood lose that quality a bit as it's one of the many shows to suffer from remake syndrom, rushing thru at hyperspeed the eps that have been previously adapted

If a suspenceful adventure sound like something you might like then def continue it and see if you start enjoying it once the pace settles, but if you're looking for older anime that are more battle heavy i'd rec something like Yuu Yuu Hakusho which might be more similar in storytelling style to JJK, though it's of course very different visually
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jan 5, 7:28 AM
May 2016
Reply to ShamankinguYoh
ktg said:

Hell no you haven’t, modern anime is complete dogshit.
@ShamankinguYoh I have and I'm actually thinking about an old story, but with a new release. I would definitely put Fruits Basket (new version) above FMAB. And even some parts of Monogatari series.

Obviously there's a huge questionable list where I wouldn't say those are DEFINITELY better, but in the same category. With your list though, I can definitely see that you haven't really watched good shows.
Jan 5, 7:35 AM

Jun 2016
I believe it's good from start to finish and only gets better but you can just drop it if you find the the fights underwhelming (I didn't, I think they're well shot and animated but maybe you are more used to that more recent style you talked about).
The series' strongest aspect is the plot and the whole conspiracy/mystery thing that's going on with very strong twists and ending but as I said before you can just quit if you don't care about it.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 5, 7:49 AM
May 2015
ktg said:
@ShamankinguYoh I have and I'm actually thinking about an old story, but with a new release. I would definitely put Fruits Basket (new version) above FMAB. And even some parts of Monogatari series.

Obviously there's a huge questionable list where I wouldn't say those are DEFINITELY better, but in the same category. With your list though, I can definitely see that you haven't really watched good shows.

Lmao okay dude. I’ve been watching anime for 20 years and I’m not about to get schooled on my anime taste by someone with Bocchi the rock and a bunch of other garbage in his favorites.
Jan 5, 7:52 AM
May 2016
Reply to ShamankinguYoh
ktg said:

Lmao okay dude. I’ve been watching anime for 20 years and I’m not about to get schooled on my anime taste by someone with Bocchi the rock and a bunch of other garbage in his favorites.
@ShamankinguYoh "20 years" and you managed to watch 200 anime. Yeah, you must be impressive...
As for BtR, that's one of the shows that actually in the same category as FMAB. For example, BtR's directing is better than FMAB's.
Jan 5, 7:57 AM
Nov 2021
ktg said:

Monogatari? You had so many options to pick for shows that are high quality in every way and can potentially be better than FMAB and went with that.... Lmao
Jan 5, 8:14 AM
Jul 2022
ShamankinguYoh said:
ktg said:

bro only watched 200 anime in 20 years, that's acc tough, I've watched 200 in 2.
Jan 5, 8:14 AM
Aug 2021
bladewade said:

if you start reading besrerk with very high expectations,you will eventually think it's boring too
so if you watch an anime, don't hype yourself,just watch it with the intention of enjoying and you will eventually start liking it
and yes it gets better
Jan 5, 8:15 AM
Jul 2022
Abzy1239 said:
bladewade said:

if you start reading besrerk with very high expectations,you will eventually think it's boring too
so if you watch an anime, don't hype yourself,just watch it with the intention of enjoying and you will eventually start liking it
and yes it gets better

fr, speaking facts. it's honestly not that deep, it's a good anime prolly top 20 at least. it has a good story but it ain't the best out there, def over hyped but better than most in my opinion.
Jan 5, 8:17 AM
Feb 2019
Therengoku342 said:
ShamankinguYoh said:

bro only watched 200 anime in 20 years, that's acc tough, I've watched 200 in 2.

200 anime in 20 years is crazy 😂😂😂 I started watching anime at 11, few years gone by and I’m at like 190
Jan 5, 8:19 AM
Feb 2019
Abzy1239 said:
bladewade said:

and yes it gets better

This is probably one of the best replies I’ve received from this whole thread, everyone else is either beefing or ridiculing me for making a statement on their favourite anime
Jan 5, 8:21 AM
Aug 2021
Therengoku342 said:
Abzy1239 said:

and yes it gets better

fr, speaking facts. it's honestly not that deep, it's a good anime prolly top 20 at least. it has a good story but it ain't the best out there, def over hyped but better than most in my opinion.

i
people just watch/read anime and if they like it too much,they will want to make other people want to experience it by overhyping it
Jan 5, 8:22 AM
Mar 2021
I use FMAB is not an action first anime. There is a lot of depth to the story. The best way to view the story is as an adventure story with elements of mystery, political intrigue, deception, and yes action scenes.

Series like JJk are basing their action and fighting on magic. Where FMAB is using alchemy which is more science based. It follows general principles of matter can't be created from nothing, Energy can't be created or destroyed, ect. only exception is things involving "a red stone".
Jan 5, 8:28 AM
Feb 2023
Snowy1234 said:

The anime doesn’t have 70 episodes… Why are you capping and lying?
Jan 5, 8:37 AM
May 2016
Reply to DrFlamingLeaf
ktg said:

Monogatari? You had so many options to pick for shows that are high quality in every way and can potentially be better than FMAB and went with that.... Lmao
@DrFlamingLeaf Yes, I went with the show that has the best directing of the decade and had huge impact on the industry, influenced so many staff members (directors and animators as well). For one example, Kaguya-sama's director also worked on Madoka Magica with studio shaft, you can clearly see their influence on his directing style. So I'm perfectly aware how good Monogatari is, while you even failed to finish it and you've only seen 4 Monogatari titles.

I don't know why newbie watchers think they know their stuff, while there are hardcore viewers out there.
Jan 5, 8:41 AM
Nov 2021
ktg said:
@DrFlamingLeaf Yes, I went with the show that has the best directing of the decade and had huge impact on the industry, influenced so many staff members (directors and animators as well). For one example, Kaguya-sama's director also worked on Madoka Magica with studio shaft, you can clearly see their influence on his directing style. So I'm perfectly aware how good Monogatari is, while you even failed to finish it and you've only seen 4 Monogatari titles.

I don't know why newbie watchers think they know their stuff, while there are hardcore viewers out there.

Best directing and all that may be true, but a show that sexualizes minors doesn't deserve to be anywhere in a list of great shows lmao. It loses so many points strictly because it it's trash minor fan service. I stopped watching it because of that. If it wasn't for that then I could see it being much better.

You also think I can't "know my stuff" because I'm new to anime? Gtfo with that elitest bullshit lol. You're smug af.
Jan 5, 8:46 AM
Apr 2021
Drop this anime, it will be boring until the end. This anime is actually bad and the ones praising are lacking brain
Jan 5, 8:48 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014

If you got bored and made this thread just because you only watched 11 out of 64 episodes then better drop this anime and move on.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 5, 8:53 AM

May 2021
ktg said:
"20 years" and you managed to watch 200 anime. Yeah, you must be impressive...

Therengoku342 said:

This argument makes zero sense

I've also watched anime for over 20 years, but over 300 of the ones i've watched have been completed and/or discovered only in the last 3 years

People tend to forget that there used to be a time when we didn't have endless supplies of free streaming and had to rely on catching eps on TV or forking out the cash for VHSs and DVDs and if we were lucky we'd be able to find some more niche stuff to download
Jan 5, 8:54 AM
Nov 2021
When exactly are we going to become mature enough to understand that likes, dislikes are subjective and just because majority of people agree on something is great does not means it’s going to be apply to everyone?
Jan 5, 8:55 AM
Jul 2022
DigiCat said:
ktg said:
"20 years" and you managed to watch 200 anime. Yeah, you must be impressive...

Therengoku342 said:

This argument makes zero sense

I've also watched anime for over 20 years, but over 300 of the ones i've watched have been completed and/or discovered only in the last 3 years

People tend to forget that there used to be a time when we didn't have endless supplies of free streaming and had to rely on catching eps on TV or forking out the cash for VHSs and DVDs and if we were lucky we'd be able to find some more niche stuff to download

nah it ain't an argument just a side convo. chill it bro you can go make ahentsi with them later, stop riding
Jan 5, 8:56 AM
Jul 2022
Rinrinka said:

If you got bored and made this thread just because you only watched 11 out of 64 episodes then better drop this anime and move on.

damn, actual facts lol, the anime is not for everyone
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.