Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 19, 2023 8:23 PM
Feb 2021
quite a simple question hopefully. was wondering if there’s any good ones like it. or maybe just if anyone has good seinen slice of life anime recs. thanks in advance.
Nov 19, 2023 8:47 PM

Oct 2012
If it's about feelings, connection and competition there's a josei, Chihayafuru.
Nov 19, 2023 9:15 PM
Mar 2021
I highly recommend ping pong the animation
Nov 19, 2023 9:37 PM
Feb 2021
WeeBee07 said:
quite a simple question hopefully. was wondering if there’s any good ones like it. or maybe just if anyone has good seinen slice of life anime recs. thanks in advance.

Chihayafuru is the one which comes to mind
Nov 19, 2023 10:24 PM
Aug 2023
go for haikyu - it's a sports anime but it's also very fun, has its slice of life moments.

I'd also recommend call of the night - gorgeous animation and pretty fun and chill.

there aren't many comparable to 3gatsu though, and definitely not on that quality
Nov 19, 2023 10:29 PM

Aug 2018
Honey and Clover is another work by the author of 3gatsu.
Nov 19, 2023 10:52 PM
Feb 2022
NGE, Since both of them portrayed regarding depression
Nov 19, 2023 11:01 PM
Jan 2021
barakamon maybe?
Nov 19, 2023 11:31 PM

Nov 2021
Kono oto tomare, Fruits basket, Natsume Yuujinchou
Nov 20, 2023 12:41 AM

Jan 2023
Out of the animes I've seen, the closest one to this series would be 'Your Lie in April' :)
Nov 20, 2023 2:02 AM
Jul 2016
bezardo said:
WeeBee07 said:

thx man I forgot that I needed to watch this , for the past year I haven't watched many anime , but I am watching one piece then will complete Bleach. Plus many anime on my watchlist this year that I didn't watch.
I didn't even pick any anime this season except for Juju Kaisen.
next year Bleach , Hunter x hunter , haikyu n this chi starting anime. I have a big list and I wish I cud complete all.
Nov 20, 2023 6:29 AM
Nov 2023
Have to agree with everyone who suggests ChihayaFuru, and also I suggest Tsurune, which is probably even better, and Mou Ippon.
Nov 20, 2023 2:42 PM
Jul 2021
epidemia78 said:
Honey and Clover is another work by the author of 3gatsu.

good story, bad ending, prolly don't read if you can't live with bad ending. other than that, a solid 10/10, 8 w/ ending
Nov 20, 2023 5:30 PM
Mar 2023
your lie in april. It's really bittersweet
Nov 20, 2023 11:24 PM
Jan 2021
bezardo said:
WeeBee07 said:

Chihayafuru would be the closest with the story intertwined with the competition. Loved both, but I would recommend the dubbed version (voice actors are decent) for Chihayafuru due to the card sport they do. It can be a little over whelming subbed, although, I couldn't find season 3 dubbed.
Nov 22, 2023 7:57 PM
May 2022
Natsume Yuujinchou and Barakamon are the first to come to mind
Nov 23, 2023 10:07 AM

Aug 2018
Your lie in April. It's very similar.
Nov 26, 2023 4:24 AM
May 2020
Shōwa genroku rakugo shinjū is fucking wonderful, best drama anime eva, go watch it NOW! No matter if you’re the person asking for recs or no, everyone should see it
Nov 28, 2023 7:05 PM
Aug 2020
There is nothing like March Comes in Like a Lion.
Nov 28, 2023 9:48 PM
Jan 2021
chihayafuru is the only one comes to mind very similiar
Dec 6, 2023 9:44 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to bibisebi
barakamon maybe?
bibisebi said:
barakamon maybe?

Thanks for this, I forgot I put this on hold a while ago. Time to pick it up again!

Based on the few episodes I have watched, I'm now remembering this is more like 3-gatsu than I thought. Huh.
Dec 7, 2023 12:07 PM

Jul 2021
I've also been searching for shows similar to 3-gatsu no Lion, but it seems like there's really nothing quite like it.

Thanks to this thread, I think I'll pick up Barakamon and Natsume Yuujinchou again.

--- To add something to the existing list:

Deaimon:
It's a gentle slice-of-life about the people who work at a small shop in Kyoto making Japanese sweets.

Aside from the obvious similarity in setting, this show also has a very pleasant watercolor art style and heartwarming music that reminded me of 3-gatsu.

The characters and the vibes are more laid back, however, and the emotions and the storylines are not as raw and heart-wrenching as 3-gatsu can sometimes get. Still, the characters in this show feel like well realized and genuinely good people, just living their daily lives and making the most out of them.

Really enjoyed this, and I think it's a bit underrated.

--- I'd like to add some context to the existing recommendations:

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu:
This is an amazing show, and I strongly recommend this one.

Like 3-gatsu, this show deals with characters dedicating themselves to their "craft" (in this case, Rakugo) and how that shapes their relationships and their lives. However, its tone is more subdued and often bitter, having an adult cast dealing with things like failed romances and the changing times.

We do get to see stunning Rakugo performances, often from beginning to end, which I enjoyed and appreciated more easily than Shogi.

Natsume Yuujinchou:
I've only watched a few seasons of this, but loved it.

Natsume runs into a variety of characters, human or otherwise, in his daily life, and forms relationships as he learns about them and tries to help them. Despite the fantastical elements involving Yokai and spirits, it strangely feels very similar to 3-gatsu. It often does get weird, but the show is a slice-of-life at its core and doesn't get bogged down in the mechanics and the action.

It also has a similar subdued atmosphere, in its art style and music.

Chihayafuru:
I really love this show, and I strongly recommend it. But I don't think it's very similar to 3-gatsu.

Yes, they both have great characters and drama around a Japanese traditional competitive sport/game. But that's about it I think.

Chihayafuru is more explicitly "about" Karuta. Almost all the characters are very passionate (or one could say obsessive) about it, and most of the drama is about their love of playing and their struggles with getting better. A big chunk of the runtime is spent on the intense, detailed play-by-play during the matches.

Haikyuu, Tsurune, Your Lie In April:
These are all great/good shows that feature high-schoolers in a competitive environment.

But again, their focus is on the subject matter itself, with drama built on top of it.

Also, I would say these shows are more typical high-school dramas. A lot of the drama comes from things like balancing their studies, team building, feelings of inferiority, teen romance, etc. Not necessarily bad topics, just more limited and standard compared to the world of pro Shogi and the town of Sangatsu.

Haikyuu is the most exciting "sports anime" of the 3, with super-energetic characters and some exhilarating Volleyball action. I'm not into sports anime that much, but really enjoyed this.

Tsurune is the more gentle one, with very beautiful artwork and animation. I found it pleasant but a little shallow.

Your Lie in April is the musical, melodramatic one. Despite the high praise it gets from fans, I personally did not like this one. I felt the show was trying a little too hard to tug at the heartstrings, which is very different from how 3-gatsu feels to me. It does have a lot of great music and clearly-drawn characters. Your mileage may vary.

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

158 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 12:31 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

moodie - Oct 15, 2016

191 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 7:12 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2016

289 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 29, 7:06 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2017

177 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 28, 9:03 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

91 by astoneon »»
Apr 28, 3:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.