Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 24, 2023 3:41 PM

Jul 2019
User-Name said:
it's shows only three reviews on different definition, it does the opposing of encouraging people to write reviews.
The idea of preserving the integrity reviews on MAL and encouraging people to write reviews on MAL was never in their mind ever since they introduced this whole "reaction" based system. As many people have said here, MAL is just evolving backward and is actively killing communities left and right.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 24, 2023 3:48 PM

Dec 2007
LordSozin said:
User-Name said:
it's shows only three reviews on different definition, it does the opposing of encouraging people to write reviews.
The idea of preserving the integrity reviews on MAL and encouraging people to write reviews on MAL was never in their mind ever since they introduced this whole "reaction" based system. As many people have said here, MAL is just evolving backward and is actively killing communities left and right.
to be honest, i do not care much for MAL review system.
i'm mostly making reviews for myself, and since MAL won't show them anyway, i'm mostly sharing it on my friends list.
being popular was never my aim, since even showing up on the reviews section doesn't add much popularity or wahtsoever.

but all those are actually the result of what MAL made me do.
instead developing the whole review to more social network like, it's goin backward.
Aug 24, 2023 3:52 PM

Dec 2019
kinotabii said:
What even is this "suggested" feature you guys have set as the option default for reviews and now want to further promote on the front page? It was announced in the previous update thread but you never bothered to explain how it actually works:

I've done research on the suggested sort, so here's my best guess on how it works.

Each reaction is given a weight. A "Like it" could be worth 1 point, a "Love it" could be worth 2 points, and so on. They add up all of the reactions, and the review with the most points goes to the top of the list. I don't know the exact weights given to all of the reactions, but I believe that "Confusing" has a negative weight and that reactions like "Well-Written" are worth more than the "Like it" reaction. It's basically like Reddit's upvote/downvote system, but some upvotes are worth more than others.

It might be more complicated that, but that's all I can tell for sure.
Aug 24, 2023 4:03 PM

Aug 2023
fluffycow17 said:
kinotabii said:
What even is this "suggested" feature you guys have set as the option default for reviews and now want to further promote on the front page? It was announced in the previous update thread but you never bothered to explain how it actually works:

I've done research on the suggested sort, so here's my best guess on how it works.

Each reaction is given a weight. A "Like it" could be worth 1 point, a "Love it" could be worth 2 points, and so on. They add up all of the reactions, and the review with the most points goes to the top of the list. I don't know the exact weights given to all of the reactions, but I believe that "Confusing" has a negative weight and that reactions like "Well-Written" are worth more than the "Like it" reaction. It's basically like Reddit's upvote/downvote system, but some upvotes are worth more than others.

This is what I initially assumed as well, but the new review system seems to suggest otherwise because for a lot of titles, I'm not seeing the most well-received reviews actually being promoted to the top like they should be. Take for example this front page: https://myanimelist.net/anime/53998/Bleach__Sennen_Kessen-hen_-_Ketsubetsu-tan

The reviews here haven't shifted even once, and if you go to the review page and check all the reviews written, the most voted one outperforms the currently promoted "Recommended" review by every metric: More hearts, more thumbs up, more "Well-Written"s, less confusing emojis and laughing emojis. Yet it's not at the front. It should already be displayed for "Most Voted" anyway, but like I said, there hasn't been a single rotation. Which is also why I'm questioning whether this new review system they implemented is even working as intended/promised or not.
-KinoTabiAug 24, 2023 4:08 PM
Aug 24, 2023 4:07 PM

Jul 2019
User-Name said:
LordSozin said:
i'm mostly making reviews for myself, and since MAL won't show them anyway, i'm mostly sharing it on my friends list.
being popular was never my aim, since even showing up on the reviews section doesn't add much popularity or wahtsoever.

instead developing the whole review to more social network like, it's goin backward.
I'm the type of person who reads reviews both on here and on Anilist because I like to see what others think. Because, you know, I like anime and I want to see different perspectives. I like to think many people who write and read reviews are like me. They're passionate about what they are watching and reading. And I think the easiest way for people to navigate through reviews is to make things simple. That's why I stated that people aren't dumb and they'll look for different opinions. I acknowledge that chasing fame or clout--which sounds stupid but it does exist, especially on MAL--is here. But that doesn't deteriorate the fact that I SEE people vote on reviews that are outside of established ones. I think the reason people do this is because they want to see how the community thinks and feels.

It's fine if you don't care about the review system here, but you've to at least acknowledge that MAL is treating reviews like crap. Like they're totally neglecting the fact that there are hundreds upon hundreds of people who do engage in reviews. Being relatively active in reviews myself, I just find it disheartening to see, ig.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 24, 2023 4:14 PM

Dec 2019
kinotabii said:
fluffycow17 said:

This is what I initially assumed as well, but the new review system seems to suggest otherwise because for a lot of titles, I'm not seeing the most well-received reviews actually being promoted to the top like they should be. Take for example this front page: https://myanimelist.net/anime/53998/Bleach__Sennen_Kessen-hen_-_Ketsubetsu-tan

The reviews here haven't shifted even once, and if you go to the review page and check all the reviews written, the most-voted one outperforms the currently promoted "Recommended" review by every metric: More hearts, more thumbs up, more "Well-Written"s, less confusing emojis and laughing emojis. Yet it's not at the front. It should already be displayed for "Most Voted" anyway, but like I said, there hasn't been a single rotation. Which is also why I'm questioning whether this new review system they implemented is even working as intended or not.
There's one review with 108 reactions that doesn't appear on the details page. Is that the one you are talking about? I think that might be because it has the spoiler tag on it. I've noticed that spoiler reviews don't get on the details page for whatever reason. The "Not Recommend" bleach review is on the details page despite having the spoiler tag, but since it's the only negative review, I guess it gets a pass.
Aug 24, 2023 4:15 PM

Dec 2007
LordSozin said:
User-Name said:

I'm the type of person who reads reviews both on here and on Anilist because I like to see what others think. Because, you know, I like anime and I want to see different perspectives. I like to think many people who write and read reviews are like me. They're passionate about what they are watching and reading. And I think the easiest way for people to navigate through reviews is to make things simple. That's why I stated that people aren't dumb and they'll look for different opinions. I acknowledge that chasing fame or clout--which sounds stupid but it does exist, especially on MAL--is here. But that doesn't deteriorate the fact that I SEE people vote on reviews that are outside of established ones. I think the reason people do this is because they want to see how the community thinks and feels.

It's fine if you don't care about the review system here, but you've to at least acknowledge that MAL is treating reviews like crap. Like they're totally neglecting the fact that there are hundreds upon hundreds of people who do engage in reviews. Being relatively active in reviews myself, I just find it disheartening to see, ig.
i said i care, but in a different way.
if MAL review system wouldn't based on popularity, but would evolve to more social network system, what you said would become much better.

imagine that i can "follow" you when you "write" new reviews.
or at the same time, getting reviews to my own personal references. how much length of review i want. etc.
once you open the mind toward this idea, the options are almost unlimited.
and yes, popularity is very common in social network, it can be there too, but with more options than just "recommended" "mixed" "not rcommended"

but the current MAL system, as you said, went backward. it doesn't matter who wrote the reviews, it matters if it's popular or not. it can be trash reviews, but popular trash. and it will be there. oh, someone wrote new review: "I LOVE BLEACH", it will be there.
while i do care for variety of voices, but this is not leading to there at all.
User-NameAug 24, 2023 4:19 PM
Aug 24, 2023 4:22 PM

Aug 2020
And by the way I wonder in which God-forsaken world this is normal.

Aug 24, 2023 4:25 PM

Aug 2023
fluffycow17 said:
kinotabii said:

The reviews here haven't shifted even once, and if you go to the review page and check all the reviews written, the most-voted one outperforms the currently promoted "Recommended" review by every metric: More hearts, more thumbs up, more "Well-Written"s, less confusing emojis and laughing emojis. Yet it's not at the front. It should already be displayed for "Most Voted" anyway, but like I said, there hasn't been a single rotation. Which is also why I'm questioning whether this new review system they implemented is even working as intended or not.
There's one review with 108 reactions that doesn't appear on the details page. Is that the one you are talking about? I think that might be because it has the spoiler tag on it. I've noticed that spoiler reviews don't get on the details page for whatever reason. The "Not Recommend" bleach review is on the details page despite having the spoiler tag, but since it's the only negative review, I guess it gets a pass.

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to. And I think you're right, it adds up with other titles I checked like Mushoku Tensei S2. In which case, what an absolutely awful update LOL. They already bottlenecked spoiler-based reviews with the previous update by hiding them away in the abyss with the default option for reviews being set to "Spoiler Off" (most people don't bother toggling options or forget to do so due to the shitty interface when reading reviews, so this is a big deal), but now they're punishing people for wanting to go into plot-specifics when reviewing something.

They already killed spoiler-based reviews by having them hidden by default on the review page despite creating a perfectly fine tag for them that read in bold red "Spoilers", but I guess that wasn't enough and they shouldn't even exist on the front page now. It's like they think the userbase can't read and has no cognitive control over their sight.
-KinoTabiAug 24, 2023 4:35 PM
Aug 24, 2023 4:43 PM

Sep 2018
This is great, now it's just a random recommended, mixed, and not recommended review on the front page now (at least for me), no spam reviews, no clout seekers, etc. It actually makes me want to read and figure out if I agree with them or not, instead of just looking at the total reactions. Some people definitely on suicide watch, now that there's less chance of getting your review seen, it'll be OK lol
Aug 24, 2023 5:07 PM

Feb 2016
kinotabii said:
They already killed spoiler-based reviews by having them hidden by default on the review page despite creating a perfectly fine tag for them that read in bold red "Spoilers", but I guess that wasn't enough and they shouldn't even exist on the front page now. It's like they think the userbase can't read and has no cognitive control over their sight.
What makes it even worse is that they also hide ALL reviews by default. Nobody's reading spoilers by accident when it requires clicking the "read more" button.
その目だれの目?
Aug 24, 2023 5:28 PM

Oct 2013
kinotabii said:
There are a lot of people who don't want to see spoilers or risk bumping into them by accident simply because they opened up a page belonging to a show or comic they are interested in. Those who are really interested in reading spoiler reviews can do it with just few clicks. To me, this way of treating spoiler reviews is alright.
Aug 24, 2023 5:38 PM

Aug 2023
Adnash said:
kinotabii said:
There are a lot of people who don't want to see spoilers or risk bumping into them by accident simply because they opened up a page belonging to a show or comic they are interested in. Those who are really interested in reading spoiler reviews can do it with just few clicks. To me, this way of treating spoiler reviews is alright.

No, because there's already a very visible tag warning you of spoilers. And you'll be hard-pressed to find a review that immediately, right off the bat drops a spoiler bombshell on you that's visible beyond the full "read more" section anyway. This is not a good excuse for completely killing the visibility of spoiler-based reviews. Of course you can make a few simple clicks to find them past the front page, but I can extrapolate that logic and argue why don't they just nuke the entire review system from the front page in order to promote true equality; then all reviews will be a few clicks a way lol.

Why do you think there's a review rat race to begin with? Because most people don't check the review page to read more reviews. If you're going to implement a system under the guise of promoting "diverse perspectives and voices" that claims to give everyone a chance, why are you then discriminating against a certain type of review?
Aug 24, 2023 5:51 PM

Aug 2020
TsutanaiFuun said:
still no downvote or dislike option? why? i saw this thread and was feeling hopeful. i mean there's a like option so it makes sense to have a dislike too.

MAL won't add downvotes because we live in a society made of people with the emotional strength made of snowflakes. So every reaction needs to be positive.
KitsuFrostAug 24, 2023 5:55 PM

Aug 24, 2023 6:55 PM

Jun 2023
kinotabii said:
fluffycow17 said:

The reviews here haven't shifted even once, and if you go to the review page and check all the reviews written, the most voted one outperforms the currently promoted "Recommended" review by every metric: More hearts, more thumbs up, more "Well-Written"s, less confusing emojis and laughing emojis. Yet it's not at the front. It should already be displayed for "Most Voted" anyway, but like I said, there hasn't been a single rotation. Which is also why I'm questioning whether this new review system they implemented is even working as intended/promised or not.

The reason the reviews are static for that title is probably due to there only being 6 reviews, 4 of which are recommending the series and the current top one would be displayed under both the most voted and the suggested review. There is a more recent positive review however, so either the system isn't rotating because it's bugging out or it's simply incapable of individually shifting reviews and needs to do it as a batch.

But yeah, it's dopey beyond repair how a better-written review in literally every way is being censored from the front page because it makes specific references to the narrative instead of vague statements typically associated with spoiler-free reviews.
Aug 24, 2023 7:17 PM
(=^・ェ・^=)

Nov 2013
kinotabii said:
No, because there's already a very visible tag warning you of spoilers. And you'll be hard-pressed to find a review that immediately, right off the bat drops a spoiler bombshell on you that's visible beyond the full "read more" section anyway. This is not a good excuse for completely killing the visibility of spoiler-based reviews.

I believe there are a few misconceptions about how spoiler reviews are handled by the new display logic, so I'd like to take a moment to clarify the behavior here:
  1. Yes, the new display logic includes some modifications with regards to spoiler reviews.

2. However, this new logic does not completely remove spoiler reviews from the Details page. It gives spoiler reviews a similar priority level to Preliminary reviews. If there are non-spoiler, non-preliminary reviews available on a given anime or manga entry, then those will be given priority. If none are available, then the spoiler (or preliminary) reviews will be shown.

Aug 24, 2023 7:19 PM

Aug 2023
firefractal said:
kinotabii said:
No, because there's already a very visible tag warning you of spoilers. And you'll be hard-pressed to find a review that immediately, right off the bat drops a spoiler bombshell on you that's visible beyond the full "read more" section anyway. This is not a good excuse for completely killing the visibility of spoiler-based reviews.

I believe there are a few misconceptions about how spoiler reviews are handled by the new display logic, so I'd like to take a moment to clarify the behavior here:

1. Yes, the new display logic includes some modifications with regards to spoiler reviews.

2. However, this new logic does not completely remove spoiler reviews from the Details page. It gives spoiler reviews a similar priority level to Preliminary reviews. If there are non-spoiler, non-preliminary reviews available on a given anime or manga entry, then those will be given priority. If none are available, then the spoiler (or preliminary) reviews will be shown.

So spoiler-based reviews are effectively wiped off the radar. Gotcha.
Aug 24, 2023 7:36 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
On what planet is destroying competition within the review scene going to lead to a healthier/more productive review climate

Do you just want it to stagnate and die so you don't have to put forth effort about things like bots and early posting or something

Aug 24, 2023 7:45 PM

Oct 2018
LordSozin said:
User-Name said:

That's why I stop writing any reviews. Most of the time review mods like gaussian removes the reviews that user seemed don't like or something.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Aug 24, 2023 7:50 PM

Oct 2018
Adnash said:
kinotabii said:
Bruh... That's why there's a big, red, bold ass SPOILER tag at the top of the review and most of the users also include in their review "CONTAINS SPOILERS SO READ AT YOUR OWN RISK" or something.

What you've said is a really lame excuse.

― Natsume Takashi
Aug 24, 2023 7:54 PM

Oct 2018
kinotabii said:
firefractal said:

So spoiler-based reviews are effectively wiped off the radar. Gotcha.
It's time to untick the spoiler box in every reviews huh...

― Natsume Takashi
Aug 24, 2023 8:30 PM

Jul 2022
I think a future review system update should address the issues that the reviews have regarding spam and trolling by Ishinashi and other bad actors. I made a thread in suggestions about a potential solution: a spam/slur filter, and there was a decent discussion around it. I know you are a content admin and this would probably be out of your area, but please, if you can @firefractal, read through this thread and maybe see if a system similar to this (or a different system, I know fluffycow suggested a Discord bot that notifies the review mods of any reviews in my thread) to deal with this issue. I think the biggest problem with the review system as it stands is how easy it is to hijack the home page with flagrantly homophobic reviews or spammy reviews through constant posting. These reviews not only clog up the front page, but they clog up both the entire review page as well as the report queue. Here's a screenshot I took yesterday of what the expanded review page looked like. Spoiler-tagged because slurs.

There's no way change can be made in a day because that would be impossible, but as long as the staff team discusses a potential solution privately, that would be enough for me. Attached below is the thread where I made my suggestion a few days ago.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2113074
DulonkkAug 24, 2023 8:34 PM
Aug 24, 2023 8:44 PM

Feb 2016
firefractal said:
this new logic does not completely remove spoiler reviews from the Details page. It gives spoiler reviews a similar priority level to Preliminary reviews.
And the review page shows preliminary reviews by default while hiding spoiler reviews by default.
その目だれの目?
Aug 24, 2023 9:55 PM

Oct 2013
Natsuki_SanJuan said:
Bruh... That's why there's a big, red, bold ass SPOILER tag at the top of the review and most of the users also include in their review "CONTAINS SPOILERS SO READ AT YOUR OWN RISK" or something.

What you've said is a really lame excuse.
Chill, nothing wrong is happening to be that much excited. Anyway, it's not about Spoiler tagging, but about the default visibility of those reviews. That's what my post was about. You must've misunderstood it a little, but I can't blame you, since I see that it might have been a little confusing to people who didn't read earlier posts posted in this thread beforehand, since it indirectly addresses few issues pointed out earlier. My bad, apologies.

Non-spoiler reviews should have priority over spoiler ones, and making it a reality in my opinion was a good decision. You can of course disagree, it's totally fine. We might have different opinions on spoiler policy. I just, even though I don't care about spoilers for most of the time, respect that other people might be way more sensitive about them, and - in example - may not want to be stressed about potential spoilers right in the first visible words of a review. You mentioned that most of the users who mark their reviews as Spoiler ones additionally warn about spoilers. That's true, I also did it in some of my reviews. However, majority doesn't equal entirety of people reviewing anime and manga. I saw myself reviews containing rather big spoilers in the beginning of 'em. They were marked as Spoiler, but what if someone saw them displayed on the front page, even if by accident?

I feel this change won't be harmful for people who really want to check out spoiler reviews, and will be beneficial or at least neutral for people who want to avoid that kind of content.

kinotabii said:
We might see it differently, I mean from different perspectives. I feel it's not a bad change. I explained my point of view earlier in this post, but I'm sorry in advance that I didn't reply to you, as the person who had replied to me first. I didn't notice the notification until sending my post, lol. Also, @firefractal also mentioned some clarifications regarding the system, so you might check out this post.

kinotabii said:
Of course you can make a few simple clicks to find them past the front page, but I can extrapolate that logic and argue why don't they just nuke the entire review system from the front page in order to promote true equality; then all reviews will be a few clicks a way lol.
Well, you customize your profile panel in the Panel Settings. But anyway, that logic is not flawed per se. It's just one of possibilities to handle a feature present on MAL. What you mentioned is a fallacy that might start a quarrel till the end of time, because of how various arguments might be used against each other, but without reaching any conclusion.

kinotabii said:
Why do you think there's a review rat race to begin with? Because most people don't check the review page to read more reviews.
I've been there long enough to notice that there is, indeed, a system favoring reviews that were posted the earliest. Heck, people who have been members on MAL shorter than I am could easily notice it. In the past, in the thread about emoji reactions update (here), few users pointed out how some reviewers began treating reviewing Japanese cartoons as a form of competetive sport, lol. Check out few posts written before or after this one to see by yourself how bizarre the whole reviewing culture used to be even months before the current update. That's why the update we are talking about will not worsen this situation, but rather improve it and make review distribution fairer for users that don't have stable "fanbase" ready to upvote their reviews, no matter what quality they represent. I know my reviews are far from perfect, but I saw a decent number of really well written, professional looking texts, that were at the bottom of the reviews section. Why? Simply because they did not have that much upvotes, due to, dunno, being posted months after the anime had finished airing.

kinotabii said:
If you're going to implement a system under the guise of promoting "diverse perspectives and voices" that claims to give everyone a chance, why are you then discriminating against a certain type of review?
Like I said, it's about perspective. To me, the new system is better. To someone else it might be inferior to how it was. Which person is right, and which is wrong? Neither. It's all up to MAL Staff to implement changes they see as necessary in a form they find as approriate. I probably will never say "hey, emoji reactions are actually really great!", but at the same time I can just move on and accept the fact that such system exists and most likely won't be changed anytime soon. Same goes with the current review system. You can share your thoughts and hope they will be someday turned into a reality (they probably won't, like almost all stuff from Suggestions board, lol), but at the end of a day it's better to just move on. Ranting won't change anything, same with polite feedback (if it's definitely against an update).
AdnashAug 24, 2023 10:27 PM
Aug 25, 2023 12:28 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
The diverse voices thing is what I've been wishing for for years! I am so happy because that's exactly what I wanted (and also askes for in the forums a few times). 
I've not been happy about the review system for a good while, but this is a change I really approve of. I can see all the negativity about this in this thread, which is fine since I was expecting that there won't be that many fans of that system, but personally, it's a good change for me~ So thank you! 

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Aug 25, 2023 5:07 AM

Dec 2018
Thx for that 

Several of my reviews were fair and square on the top because they had the most votes. Now all of them are down in the dirt  

All my hard work for FUCKING NOTHING!!!!!!!

I guess the only top reviews from now on will be from the users who are friends with the review moderators? The smell of nepotism is foul 

Aug 25, 2023 5:12 AM

Mar 2023
Hmmm wowm that might be interesting!
e
Aug 25, 2023 6:46 AM
Aug 2016
I understand the role of administrators. But @firefractal, have these measurements received some sort of prior consensus?
I think points 1) and 2) are good ideas. Point 1) is the most widely accepted by @wizdom224 and @effy_ among others.

From 2) say that: If an anime has 10 reviews, of which 8 are Recommended, 1 is Mixed Feeling (MF) and 1 is Not Recommended (NR), and at the same time the average ranking of the anime is acceptable, give identical voice to NR and MF, seems to over-represent these opinions. I think it leaves less room for users. If users have voted for some reviews more than others, we can think that it is because they are better. And a good review can be from MF or NR and can be in the top if good arguments are offered. I think that if someone is interested in seeing other opinions, they can always hit the "More reviews" button.

3) It may or may not be a good idea. On the one hand, there are anime reviews from 2007 that were made that same year and therefore have had an opportunity to have more visits and more votes, just because they have been on the platform for longer. And the truth is that it is a cycle that repeats itself. Users tend to only look at the three reviews, which are usually the ones that were made before, unless they were made by someone of notoriety. (@Deg and @cipheron are of this opinion as well). That is why I don't think it's bad at all, especially in the older anime. As for the rotation criteria, I don't know if it's the best, but we'll have to see.

As for the other opinions:

@AkiFosu I partially agree: The entire system to "rate reviews" is abused and manipulated by briganding friends and clubs anyway. This may be true. I don't dislike emoticons, but there could be another type of punctuation for reviews.

@LordSozin
I don't think diversity equals bad opinions. What solution would you give to the problems you mention? I approve that what u said: (But consider that eccho chambers of social media, also can happen in platforms like this=
I like to think many people who write and read reviews are like me. They're passionate about what they are watching and reading. And I think the easiest way for people to navigate through reviews is to make things simple. That's why I stated that people aren't dumb and they'll look for different opinions

@eblf2013
"some bad reviews are now visible just because instead of most positively voted ones". Parts of the premise that the most voted are the best. In any case, as it rotates, in the event that a "bad review" comes out, it won't be for long, and if it's really bad, there will quickly be other more voted ones, which will make it more likely that it won't appear in the pool again.

@hexashadow13
I really like your idea.
think something based on affinity would be best, though the affinity system needs to be redesigned to take mean and standard deviation into account before that would be effective. 

@Sleepteiner.
Highlighting negative reviews primarily because of the fact that they are negative in order to showcase a more "diverse set of perspectives" will likely encourage people to write the "best" negative review on well liked series just to get their review seen by more people. That seems really unhealthy for a review system.

You have certainly a point. Howewer a MF review is not itself a negative review. You are going to motivate people to write rewiews. Rather than writing reviews that really reflect what people think, write reviews to get more "fame". I think it was an existing problem from before. Maybe this can be increased? If this is the case, I think not much, because they are also rotating.

@User-Name 
 My main problem is  with middle-popular reviews, such as i have myself.
i actually went and checked most of the anime i have review on. only if i had the most popular one or the new one, is actually appear.
Dont you think that problems where the same, before the new system?  i would prefer an entire random review upon every refresh, but it's limited to such narrow tags of "most reacted" "most popular" or "newest". I still believe that we should encourage that the better reviews (those who have more support) are the ones that are shown first. But also is good to have some fresh air for the News Ones. I think total random, contributes more to bad reviews being shown. 
Im worried bout this. How you propose the review makes more social network like? I dont get it. 
@fluffycow17 Didnt know that, system is not that transparent though. 
@kinotabii I dont think is a good idea that a review from a person that is still watching the anime should appear. Howewer in that example, few reviews are written for the anime itself. 

@kinotabii
Im with you. But reviews also are for those who havent watch the anime. A spoiler-based review i guess its only for those who have watched the anime already. I would like to read a review that contains spoiler at least. That being said, maybe create 2 WAYS. Beucase thats what i think. Reviews have 2 sides. Double nature (ex-ante and ex-post). So thats why  @Adnash i dont think your right. Spoiler-based reviews fullfill the EX-POST nature of the reviews. Just eliminating them, is not good, cause it dosent comprehend the double nature of the review system. Please, consider a double front page, one for reviews containing no spoiler and those who do content spoiler. Cause they final purpose of both is different. Explained here

What is clear is that the BOT & SPAM ACCOUNTS problem needs to be solved also, because its related to this issue. 
Aug 25, 2023 8:21 AM

Jul 2023
Another downgrade. Just remove useless emoji and leave thumbs up and down. Why do you avoid thumbs down? WHY?
Aug 25, 2023 10:15 AM

Aug 2018
Ionliosite2 said:
"where were u wen review die"

"i was at house eating dorito when phone ring"

"Review is kill"

"no"

Doesn't this make the vote system invalid? Like, why? The review system is already broken, why breaking it more and act as if it was fixed?
Mal just likes fucking with reviewers
_______I like rocks__
Aug 25, 2023 10:30 AM

May 2021
82926 said:
Another downgrade. Just remove useless emoji and leave thumbs up and down. Why do you avoid thumbs down? WHY?
Because if they add them the thumbs up and down will be abused(as a proof of that the confused emoji is already abused) either by bots (mal staff don't seem to care that much about increasing the security to reduce bots) or users who also create fake accounts just to overrate or hate on specific anime or manga . This is mal user base we are talking about , one of the most toxic anime communities on the Internet . Valve does something with mal similar and works fine
YubisoftAug 25, 2023 10:41 AM
Aug 25, 2023 1:55 PM

Oct 2013
BaronLukis said:
(...) That being said, maybe create 2 WAYS. Beucase thats what i think. Reviews have 2 sides. Double nature (ex-ante and ex-post). So thats why  @Adnash i dont think your right. Spoiler-based reviews fullfill the EX-POST nature of the reviews. Just eliminating them, is not good, cause it dosent comprehend the double nature of the review system. Please, consider a double front page, one for reviews containing no spoiler and those who do content spoiler. Cause they final purpose of both is different. Explained here.
The thing is, spoiler reviews are still there and can be easily accessed by all people interested in reading them. It's not like the whole idea of reviews containing spoilers, or reviews like that itself, has been scrapped.

BaronLukis said:
What is clear is that the BOT & SPAM ACCOUNTS problem needs to be solved also, because its related to this issue. 
Yeah, that's true. Vote brigading problem was neutralized some time ago by introducing the new system, so I feel fixing similar problem for reviews is also doable. I believe it wouldn't be harder to implement it than that algorithm for totting up scores and determining the final mean score for a show. Depending on approach, I can see it even as an easier task out of those two. Filtering out, aka marking as spam and preventing to be published, new reviews similar to already existing reviews in, let's say, 90% doesn't seem more complicated than programming an algorithm preventing mean users from actions related to score manipulation.

Haptism93 said:
The diverse voices thing is what I've been wishing for for years! I am so happy because that's exactly what I wanted (and also askes for in the forums a few times). 
Same. It's a change I really wished to see myself as well. I lost hope after that weird emoji reaction system was introduced, so it was a really nice surprise to see actually a nice change that had been suggested by some users in the past.
Aug 25, 2023 6:55 PM
(=^・ェ・^=)

Nov 2013
Dulonkk said:
I think a future review system update should address the issues that the reviews have regarding spam and trolling by Ishinashi and other bad actors.

The devs are acutely aware of this issue and are working towards a more robust solution. While spambot prevention methods are certainly out of my wheelhouse, I'd imagine that a spam/slur filter would not work in this particular case. A filter would provide temporary relief, but it'll ultimately be overcome by anyone persistent enough to change up their behavior patterns each time their content is thwarted by the filter.

Aug 25, 2023 7:05 PM

Jul 2022
firefractal said:

The devs are acutely aware of this issue and are working towards a more robust solution. While spambot prevention methods are certainly out of my wheelhouse, I'd imagine that a spam/slur filter would not work in this particular case. A filter would provide temporary relief, but it'll ultimately be overcome by anyone persistent enough to change up their behavior patterns each time their content is thwarted by the filter.

I'm honestly really happy to hear this news that the staff team is working on a solution. Whatever the solution is, I'm just happy to hear that the staff is working on making Ishinashi's trolling confined to the history books. I kind of felt bad reporting all of his reviews because it clogs up the report queue, but I feel bad even more for the review mods and the team as a whole having to constantly deal with his...tomfoolery. Thanks for letting us all know.
Aug 25, 2023 7:54 PM

Jul 2008
And still no option to dislike or downvote reviews
Aug 26, 2023 12:21 AM

Jan 2023
I like the new changes personally, it does seem more fair to show one positive, one negative and one 'neutral' opinion at once.
Aug 26, 2023 1:09 AM

Apr 2012
Is it possible to somehow add a definition for the reaction options? I've noticed that some people, for example, use "funny" to mock a review rather than defining it as funny.
Aug 26, 2023 1:21 AM

Apr 2012
MeguSae38 said:
I like the new changes personally, it does seem more fair to show one positive, one negative and one 'neutral' opinion at once.
Yes, it does give a more varied perspective on the show with strong negative or a strong positive reviews. Plus, now we can finally see a variety of reviews and their ratios according to the estimates. Not to mention that now you don't have to worry and be nervous about timing in order for your review to get attention and ratings. But I am also afraid that those people who previously massively voted for the reviews they needed in order to bring them to the top (hyped shonens reviews often suffered from this), will now simply abuse the number of reviews with the desired rating than the quality and votes. It also confuses me a little that now there will always be positive reviews on top, which is critical for a show with a controversial rating, but at the moment this does not seem to be a big problem.
RobertBobertAug 26, 2023 1:54 AM
Aug 26, 2023 3:14 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Crappy update. Reverse it ASAP, MAL! People want to see the top reviews, not some random ass review written by some random ass user, all for the sake of “diverse opinions and perspectives”, LMAOOO
Aug 26, 2023 4:29 AM
Aug 2022
Thanks dudes for giving your best to keep everyone entertained, engaged and happy.
Aug 26, 2023 5:43 AM

Jun 2015
Here are a few suggestions:
  1. Swap convlouted emojis with (Helpful/Unhelpful); highest ratio decides top category review.
  2. Hide spoilers/preliminary reviews; users can opt for permanent display.
Aug 26, 2023 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
Quick suggestions:
Start giving a few fucks about your community. For example, let the users decide how they want to see their bloody review page: 3 negative reviews on a page, here it is, 3 positive reviews on a page, not a problem. This is myanimelist, so I want to see myanimelist howeverthefuck I want it to be. But this is not myanimelist, it is some random idiot’s pointless whims to fuck everything up. Every fucking year some fuck screws everything up.  Honestly, Xinil alone did a much better job listening to the community. Now MAL is just completely deaf.

Quick suggestion n2, add suggestions to archive just like you did with CE. What is the point of that board? Feedback? LMAO.
removed-userAug 26, 2023 8:06 AM
Aug 26, 2023 9:32 AM

Jul 2017
LordSozin said:
User-Name said:
question - is commenting here about the review section's updates really can change the mods mind?
because i actually wanted to make my opinion on this, but if it won't effect, i won't waste my time writing lol

i just would say that - i work pretty hard on my reviews, using my time and my brain. so why now that i'm checking anime pages i'm encountering some hot fans reviews or hot fans hater reviews, instead of those who really invest their time, like me, in them?

I think you're highlighting the big problems with these review changes for the past year or so. These updates are solely driven from the eyes of trying to please everyone and solving a problem that's unsolvable without making stupid additions like emojis and reactions instead of just simple upvotes or downvotes. I think these updates just add more mess to what's already there. I mean, look at it. Reviews are out of order in terms of "reactions"; when refreshing the page, it shows the newest over the old ones that have been there for reasons more than just dislikeness.

Why can't we just keep things simple? I don't get it.
Yeah, fistbump in total agreement. MAL has fallen into coporate hands, and there's no backing out from garbage.
Aug 26, 2023 9:47 AM
Aug 2016
topidoru said:
Quick suggestions: Start giving a few fucks about your community. For example, let the users decide how they want to see their bloody review page: 
+1. That could be another option, though i defend a minimum regulation. Also agree with @Deago 
Swap convlouted emojis with (Helpful/Unhelpful); highest ratio decides top category review.
Aug 26, 2023 12:48 PM

Jul 2019
topidoru said:
Quick suggestions:
Start giving a few fucks about your community. For example, let the users decide how they want to see their bloody review page: 3 negative reviews on a page, here it is, 3 positive reviews on a page, not a problem. This is myanimelist, so I want to see myanimelist howeverthefuck I want it to be. But this is not myanimelist, it is some random idiot’s pointless whims to fuck everything up. Every fucking year some fuck screws everything up.  Honestly, Xinil alone did a much better job listening to the community. Now MAL is just completely deaf.

Quick suggestion n2, add suggestions to archive just like you did with CE. What is the point of that board? Feedback? LMAO.
Like these corporate fuckers ever gave a damn. They talk about "diversity" like they ever gave a shit.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 26, 2023 1:10 PM
Apr 2017
MAL Reviews and Scores alike are fundamentally flawed due to inherent boost from season bias. Someone who is fine watching a subsequent season will provide positive reviews for that, while watchers of previous season just leaves a mixed/negative review on the previous season and drops it. I watch BSD, the ongoing season it is an 7.5-7.8, ain't no way it is 8.7 worthy. That should be prioritised instead of review order and other minor stuff. 

Also what are the rules around review boosting? Some troll is making alts to spam vote my reviews with emojis votes, inadvertently boosting me. I only wanted to write reviews for personal closed group consumption and dislike the visibility especially since it attracts lowlife screeching on the wall or inbox
Aug 26, 2023 2:36 PM

Sep 2017
I don't really have a problem with the reaction emoji thing since "confused" is now basically used as dislike.
But the diversifying is straight up crap. You can't just force your opinion on people like that ffs.
خ
Aug 26, 2023 4:20 PM

Feb 2022
Please conceal preliminaries from the reviews page by default if you're going to keep it the same for spoilers. Some people want to read detailed breakdowns of a title (and it's almost impossible to write a substantial review for some of them without spoilering), but who's reading a preview for it once it's finished airing? Prelims are being featured on the front pages of completed titles for the mobile site as well.

zech- said:
>Stats Summary
great
>Diverse Perspectives
sure
>Diverse Voices
pls no
My thoughts to a T
Aug 27, 2023 8:37 PM

May 2021
I came back from death to say that the rotation idea is weird as fuck. I know rat race is a problem but you want the best/most (informative/engaging) reviews on top. Democracy is flawed, but its better than picking a meth head as a president because he won the lottery, right? 

I think a solution can exist to enable discovery + healthy voting, but honestly I don't think the site cares enough about the potential of the reviews anyways as it wouldn't be solely changing logic lol

Aug 28, 2023 1:50 AM

Oct 2015
When mal mods go to the school of "balance opinions"

Well at least now I can 100% find a review to laugh at always
So good for me at least
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
7 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.