Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 12, 2023 4:02 AM

Apr 2016
I have dropped the manga long ago, so i don't know, but tell me, does Hange transform at on point into a titan ? If she does, SnK is indeed a mecha.
Aug 12, 2023 4:03 AM
Jul 2021
Languorous said:
thegoishady said:

maybe if it was bigger cause mecha are generally at least 2 times or more the size of the user.
also it doesn't makes for most of the outer shell, the user the big part of the outer shell.

fair but it's a machine with an operator and its sole focus is to move you but I get your point

its much less a machine and more a tool which they control with their body, like a gun or sword, in other words not a mech, even if they are mechanical they arent mechs or robots
Aug 12, 2023 4:04 AM
Jul 2021
Notte_Stellata said:
It's Evangelion 2: the comeback of Shinji

which would be such a bad show
Aug 12, 2023 4:07 AM
Jul 2021
NayThyShy said:
Cool Point.
I wonder if there is a cooling mechanism in the flesh of the titans so you wouldn't get warm in their body...

there are no such things, we see the water on their skins evaporating in human form after extraction from titans and we also se eldians doing inhuman acts in their flying gear, the coes strength to do that they do would break the spine of average people, AOT is more a superpower show than a mecha show
Aug 12, 2023 4:09 AM
Jul 2021
Scavendgarr said:
It's absolutely a mecha anime.

it is absolutely not, it shares some themes but so does shows like death note, they pilot nothing mechanical let alone a mech or robot,
Aug 12, 2023 4:10 AM
Jul 2021
BigA666 said:
I would say it is honestly just because there not robots doesn't mean it's not a mecha like in the case of eva no one says it's not a mecha even though the mechs are actually organisms. Aot goes a step further obviously by not making the titans look robotics but still they seem to be controlled by titan users almost like a driver in a cockpit. plus there's all the military tech and shit also as previously mentioned Aot is clearly meant to have similar themes to other mecha

i would say eva is not a mech show, its only exuse is its cybernetic limiters
Aug 12, 2023 4:12 AM
Jul 2021
Empiror_Bishoy said:
ara~ara~ you are right but ugly truth

no, it only means that attack on titan has dared to deal with similar themes that mech anime do without mechs. just being deep and having similar messages and patterns doesent make AOT a mecha
Aug 12, 2023 4:15 AM
Jul 2021
Dixoncider8142 said:
thegoishady said:
ok , so hear me out. this is not one of those clickbait discussion.
the characters in this show are actually piloting a shell (of flesh) and use it to fight and protect. this is actually pretty similar to another popular mecha (you know which one im talking about).
what do you think?

We’ve hear about everything u said before lmao. But in a way yeah it kinda is like a mecha

only in themesx but ssying that makes all anime with simiakr themes mecha, whixh is very narrowminded, what makes a mecha is its use of mechanical robots and mechs in its story, not arbitrary story elements which yoy can find in shows ranging from Death Note to Fullmetal Alchemist
Aug 12, 2023 4:17 AM
Jul 2021
deg said:
bio-mecha exist like Evangelion so yes

bio mecha require mechanical parts to function and/or upgrade its physique, which titans dont have, so no
Aug 12, 2023 4:18 AM
Jul 2021
BitChilly said:
Oh yeah definitely, it is a mecha anime.

explain why then, having similar plot points and having a bigger body doesnt make a mech show, a mechnaical being makes a mech show
Aug 12, 2023 4:21 AM
Jul 2021
Joel_Barnes said:
klarpo said:
I get what you mean but I feel like the most defining trait of a mecha anime is the mecha itself

Eva’s mecha’s are organic, what’s the difference between titan shifters and Eva’s?

evas are chybernetically limited and encased in binded armor that replaces the beings skin, titan shifters do not have anything mechnaical to function or augment its body, its has nothing mechanical let alone a actual mech, not is not a mech show
Aug 12, 2023 4:25 AM
Jul 2021
Angglio_1 said:
thegoishady said:
the characters in this show are actually piloting a shell (of flesh) and use it to fight and protect. this is actually pretty similar to another popular mecha (you know which one im talking about).
what do you think?

Attack on Titan is a mecha, the same way Spirited Away is an Isekai

spirited away is not an isekai because nobody gets and keeps a new life in a different world, Aot is not a mecha anime because its humanoids doesnt have anything mechanical within let alone a actual mech
Aug 12, 2023 4:26 AM
Jul 2021
Avalokari said:
Yes. The entire story of AoT is heavily based off a mecha visual novel called Muv-Luv Alternative.

no, a similar story/story inspired by a mecha series does not mean its a mecha show
Aug 12, 2023 4:28 AM
Jul 2021
sayu-simp said:
Theo1899 said:
You are not the first to one to make that observation. If you also consider the emphasis on politics, mass destruction and the protagonist's dad having something to with all this you basically have steampunk Gundam 0079.

you're not even wrong. don't forget about the discrimination!

oh yes, therss discrimination in a anime, its definitely a mecha, you are definitely wrong, a mecha show requires at least a mechnially run being, not even a actula mech, just something that requires mechanics to run
Aug 12, 2023 4:30 AM
Jul 2021
Irshiki said:
thegoishady said:
what do you think?

Yes, it's true, you're right

yes its true, but similar story beats and giant beings controled by themselves do not make a mecha, a story with a humanoid that requires at least some mechanics to operate makes a mecha
Aug 12, 2023 4:32 AM
Jul 2021
Xavion said:
Just stumbled upon someone's profile (not OP) a day or two ago where he similary stated that AOT is mecha and titan is just a giant robot made of flesh with people riding near the robot's head and controlling it.

Edit: oh, i actually took a screenshot of it:

the dude doesnt like similar themes and story elements, if theres no mechs or even any humanoids which require some mechanics to operate, its not a mecha shoe
Aug 12, 2023 4:34 AM
Jul 2021
Risa92 said:
thegoishady said:
what do you think?

It's not only that, the shifters are in some kind of control center in the titan, and the main plot is a war drama going into politics, which is typical for most mecha series. I mean ofc it was, what else do you need mechas / titans for.
And biomechas are a known subgenre of mecha.

but titans arent mecha, they have no mechanical parts, therfore AOT has no mecha
Aug 12, 2023 4:34 AM
Jul 2021
Cayusashi said:
yes. flesh mechas are still mechas

no, titans are not fleah mechas, they have no mechanical parts
Aug 12, 2023 5:57 AM

Oct 2013
I_Dunno65 said:
Scavendgarr said:
It's absolutely a mecha anime.

it is absolutely not, it shares some themes but so does shows like death note, they pilot nothing mechanical let alone a mech or robot,
I'm talking about aot, not death note. Only trolls think death note is a mecha anime
Aug 12, 2023 9:04 AM
Oct 2021
Its a biological mecha anime
Aug 12, 2023 9:44 AM

Aug 2017
If "the titans aren't mechas because they are organic and not mechanical" then by that logic the Evangelion units aren't mechas either
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Aug 12, 2023 10:29 AM
May 2023
I_Dunno65 said:
sayu-simp said:

you're not even wrong. don't forget about the discrimination!

oh yes, therss discrimination in a anime, its definitely a mecha, you are definitely wrong, a mecha show requires at least a mechnially run being, not even a actula mech, just something that requires mechanics to run

who said anything to do with mechs, why tf u saying I'm wrong lol. I'm talking bout the discrimination and all the politics and stuff
Aug 12, 2023 3:10 PM
Aug 2022
No because I don't like mecha, and that's a solid argument according to my very objective pov.
Aug 12, 2023 8:43 PM
Jul 2023
I_Dunno65 said:
Cayusashi said:
yes. flesh mechas are still mechas

you're being way too strict with the definition of mecha. yeah, they don't have mechanical parts but it's the same principal. the person pilots a giant flesh beast to fight other giant flesh beasts vs the person person pilots a giant metal robot to fight other giant metal robots
Aug 12, 2023 8:44 PM
Jul 2021
sayu-simp said:
I_Dunno65 said:

who said anything to do with mechs, why tf u saying I'm wrong lol. I'm talking bout the discrimination and all the politics and stuff

War politics and discrimination doesn't make a anime a mecha, you are wrong
Aug 12, 2023 8:47 PM
Jul 2021
Cayusashi said:
I_Dunno65 said:

you're being way too strict with the definition of mecha. yeah, they don't have mechanical parts but it's the same principal. the person pilots a giant flesh beast to fight other giant flesh beasts vs the person person pilots a giant metal robot to fight other giant metal robots

Mecha do not have to be giant either, as long as one can pilot it, even small mechs like petite mobile suits count as mecha, size is not the defining factor, if it was then kaiju like Godzilla makes a mecha anime, a mecha anime is when mechanized or semi mechanized things are piloted, Titans are neither, AOT is not a macha show, Evangelion could be argued to be the same
Aug 12, 2023 8:50 PM
May 2023
I_Dunno65 said:
sayu-simp said:

we are not taking about what makes a mecha, we are comparing it to gundam. read please.
Aug 12, 2023 8:53 PM
Jul 2021
sayu-simp said:
I_Dunno65 said:

we are not taking about what makes a mecha, we are comparing it to gundam. read please.

I already did read, the original comment was trying to validate the author and the idea that AOT was a mecha because it was similar to gundam, I am stating that they're statement is wrong and that you supporting his statement and indirectly validating the idea of AOT being a mecha is also wrong, you are wrong, AOT is not a mecha
Aug 12, 2023 9:03 PM
May 2023
I_Dunno65 said:
sayu-simp said:

I already did read, the original comment was trying to validate the author and the idea that AOT was a mecha because it was similar to gundam, I am stating that they're statement is wrong and that you supporting his statement and indirectly validating the idea of AOT being a mecha is also wrong, you are wrong, AOT is not a mecha

I am not indirectly stating that AOT is mecha. that's like saying people who support JK Rowling indirectly support transphobia. they are 2 different and separate statements. I am, however stating that AOT is similar to Gundam which it is if you take into account all the factors mentioned. I understand that you believe AOT is not mecha but nowhere did either of us state it was a mecha anime, we were stating that it was similar to a mecha anime that already exists, not that it was a mecha anime.
Aug 12, 2023 9:05 PM
Jul 2021
sayu-simp said:
I_Dunno65 said:

I am not indirectly stating that AOT is mecha. that's like saying people who support JK Rowling indirectly support transphobia. they are 2 different and separate statements. I am, however stating that AOT is similar to Gundam which it is if you take into account all the factors mentioned. I understand that you believe AOT is not mecha but nowhere did either of us state it was a mecha anime, we were stating that it was similar to a mecha anime that already exists, not that it was a mecha anime.

And so agreeing with someone who is giving evidence for why killing jews and bombing government buildings is okay isn't supporting terrorists and anti-Semitism? I never knew that....
Aug 12, 2023 9:16 PM
May 2023
I_Dunno65 said:
sayu-simp said:

And so agreeing with someone who is giving evidence for why killing jews and bombing government buildings is okay isn't supporting terrorists and anti-Semitism? I never knew that....

your argument is completely irrelevant. you are saying that if I agree that AOT is similar to Gundam then that makes me agree that AOT is mecha only because Gundam is similar to mecha. I argue that if you support JK Rowling you are a transpobic because JK Rowling is also a transpobic. however you bringing in supporting war crimes is a completely different matter. I am saying that supporting JK Rowling isn't being transphobic but you are saying that supporting racism isnt racism? you are now comparing the ideas behind racism instead of the character/object behind it. I, on the other hand, am comparing a person to its ideals.

JK Rowling is a person who is transphobic, similar to the model of Gundam and it being a mecha.
evidence supporting racism and the Holocaust has no traits. it is not a object you can compare things with (as opposed to Gundam and JK Rowling, both things you can compare traits and ideals to)

basically you can't say supporting evidence against Jews is making you not a racist because they're fundamentally 2 different things
JK Rowling and Gundam have their characteristics and by agreeing with them doesn't make you whatever their characteristics are/ being similar to them doesn't make you what they are.
Evidence against the Jews however cannot be compared to anything.
Aug 12, 2023 9:23 PM
May 2023
sayu-simp said:
I_Dunno65 said:

your argument is completely irrelevant. you are saying that if I agree that AOT is similar to Gundam then that makes me agree that AOT is mecha only because Gundam is similar to mecha. I argue that if you support JK Rowling you are a transpobic because JK Rowling is also a transpobic. however you bringing in supporting war crimes is a completely different matter. I am saying that supporting JK Rowling isn't being transphobic but you are saying that supporting racism isnt racism? you are now comparing the ideas behind racism instead of the character/object behind it. I, on the other hand, am comparing a person to its ideals.

JK Rowling is a person who is transphobic, similar to the model of Gundam and it being a mecha.
evidence supporting racism and the Holocaust has no traits. it is not a object you can compare things with (as opposed to Gundam and JK Rowling, both things you can compare traits and ideals to)

basically you can't say supporting evidence against Jews is making you not a racist because they're fundamentally 2 different things
JK Rowling and Gundam have their characteristics and by agreeing with them doesn't make you whatever their characteristics are/ being similar to them doesn't make you what they are.
Evidence against the Jews however cannot be compared to anything.

sorry, a better way of explaining it is, let's say the evidence against Jews is what racism is and JK Rowling instead is Hitler.

supporting Hitler does not make you racist UNLESS you support racism
racism is an idea
Hitler is a person who believes in racism. there's a big difference

now let's say Hitler is Gundam and racism is mecha
you can support the idea of AOT being similar to Gundam but it doesn't have to be the mecha aspect.
Aug 12, 2023 9:27 PM
Jul 2021
They're.... Exactly the same... Supporting JK Rowling and being transphobic and supporting someone who claims something in favor of an idea like Hitler and the news is exactly the same thing, stop justifying being a transphobe, liking harry potter and being forced to indirectly support the author by buying books and merchandise because it's illegal otherwise is different from providing evidence which can prove someone right
Aug 12, 2023 9:39 PM
Sep 2020
Yes, I am of the opinion AOT is a flesh mecha.
Aug 12, 2023 11:05 PM

Feb 2016
No it's not. It's inspired by them (Muv Luv Alternative specifically) but it's not one itself. Tired of seeing this tbh
Aug 13, 2023 7:04 AM
May 2023
I_Dunno65 said:
They're.... Exactly the same... Supporting JK Rowling and being transphobic and supporting someone who claims something in favor of an idea like Hitler and the news is exactly the same thing, stop justifying being a transphobe, liking harry potter and being forced to indirectly support the author by buying books and merchandise because it's illegal otherwise is different from providing evidence which can prove someone right

no they're not, you could support JK Rowling for their incredible works or other things. you have no idea what you are on about, supporting someone doesn't mean you support their ideals. supporting JK Rowling doesn't make you a transpobic, I have no clue where you got the idea of me justifying being a transphobic from.
you can like JK Rowling as a person and still not be transphobic. you can like many people for their other traits and what they've done but it doesn't mean you support their every decision or ideal. Hitler was an amazing politician and historians have looked at that and admired him for that. does that make those historians racist? absolutely not.
Gundam is a mecha that has themes of politics and discrimination and others. by comparing AOT to Gundam, we are saying that those themes are similar. the genre of mecha has no relevance to our comparisons being made. similar to how historians can look up to Hitler's politics and whatnot but doesn't mean racism has to be drawn in on this. if you opened up your eyes a little you would see this.
holo-simpAug 13, 2023 7:08 AM
Aug 13, 2023 4:27 PM

Jul 2012
Mecha would be more along the lines of a robot vehicle that sits in a hanger or place until someone hops in and uses it. In other words you can always see it sitting there even if the pilot is out somewhere doing other things with his time.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.

Aug 14, 2023 12:38 AM

Feb 2018
No. Although it shares a similar concept it still doesn't fit in the category.
Aug 14, 2023 5:40 PM
Jun 2020
Yes (Character limit)
Aug 14, 2023 5:41 PM
Jun 2020
That's also why it stops being good
Aug 18, 2023 3:04 AM
Oct 2008
after i saw this post,  i quickly went through the thought of,  thats absurd to oh wait,  it completely is in about 10 seconds.  So yea im going with its literally exactly like a mecha anime i mean it was so obvious this whole time how did i not notice? 
Aug 21, 2023 5:32 PM

Aug 2020
Yes. It's a mecha in a way or other, you know...

Aug 29, 2023 3:28 AM
Jul 2023
Pls was Death no eren mappaa
Aug 30, 2023 7:57 PM
๐™ฟ๐™ฐ๐™ธ๐™ฝ

Feb 2023
It could probably be considered one since a reasonable debate could be made to define it as such… but nobody wants that so we’ll just keep going with it not being a mecha.
๐™ธ ๐š”๐š—๐š˜๐š  ๐š™๐šŠ๐š’๐š— • uฬฒmฬฒaฬฒiฬฒ • ๏พšαmßεη† ๏พšïgh† • ษช'แด แด€สŸสŸ ๊œฐษชส€แด‡แด… แดœแด˜ • ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜-๐ŸŸ • ๐”ฅ๐”ข๐”ž๐”ฉ
๐™„'๐™‡๐™‡ ๐™†๐™„๐™‡๐™‡ ๐™๐™ƒ๐™€๐™ˆ ๐˜ผ๐™‡๐™‡ • ๐’ฏ๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’ ๐’œ๐‘”๐‘’๐“ƒ๐“‰ • ๐๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ฌ ๐”๐ฅ๐ญ๐ซ๐š • แต–แต˜สณแต–หกแต‰ สฐแต’หกหกแต’สท • แ–‡Iแ‘•Eแ—ทแ—ฉแ’ชแ’ช

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.