Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2023 6:35 AM
May 2020
I just finished watching Monster with my mother (I've already read the manga) and after hearing her opinions on the show I believe a well produced live action series would be capable of reaching global success status. Considering the story isn't set in Japan and is overall very Westernized if a series with good enough actors were to be produced I believe it could be possible (even tho a good life action adaptation of an anime would be a first time thing lol). Just wanted to hear everyone's opinions on it :)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 28, 2023 6:44 AM
Oct 2022
Hel naw , i kinda like it . But i doubt dat it will ever reach da height of da likes of lile netflix , amazon , hulu ..
Jun 28, 2023 7:01 AM
Mar 2023
honestly yeah! Urasawa has a cinematic artstyle which is easy to adapt to live action and Anime. But I doubt they can pull of the dialogue nicely
Jun 28, 2023 7:01 AM
Nov 2022
Honestly Monster has the global impact potential of a Breaking Bad! Truly a top tier storyline.
Jun 28, 2023 7:05 AM

Apr 2022
agreed!! i watched it with my dad (who's absolutely not into anime at all lol) a couple months ago and he said the exact same thing. it has so much potential for an amazing live action adaptation!!
Jun 28, 2023 7:06 AM
Jun 2023

Jun 28, 2023 7:21 AM
Feb 2021
Glitch85 said:
I just finished watching Monster with my mother (I've already read the manga) and after hearing her opinions on the show I believe a well produced live action series would be capable of reaching global success status. Considering the story isn't set in Japan and is overall very Westernized if a series with good enough actors were to be produced I believe it could be possible (even tho a good life action adaptation of an anime would be a first time thing lol). Just wanted to hear everyone's opinions on it :)

Yeah I absolutely agree. It is a shame the Guillermo Del Toro adaptation with HBO never went through.
Jun 28, 2023 7:23 AM
Oct 2022
idts.............
Jun 28, 2023 7:33 AM
Nov 2021
The Story itself is amazing, but due to the slow pacing i dont think it would be that popular today. It could work as a live action, but they would need to adjust the pacing to todays standards.
Jun 28, 2023 7:40 AM
Jun 2023
mrld said:
The Story itself is amazing, but due to the slow pacing i dont think it would be that popular today. It could work as a live action, but they would need to adjust the pacing to todays standards.

It wasn't that popular in the past either. Pacing could have been better for sure, it's a flaw pf the story regardless of the time it was made. Besides, since it started airing on Netflix its poularity has increased.
Jun 28, 2023 7:52 AM
Feb 2021
mrld said:

You could say the same about Game of Thrones, but it is loved by the mainstream media. Which makes me see no reason why people wouldn’t love Monster as well. Which in my opinion is a much more cohesive and gripping package than I found A Song of Ice and Fire to be at its most exciting climaxes.
CBPman9001Jun 28, 2023 8:05 AM
Jun 28, 2023 8:21 AM
Oct 2019
ThreeTwenty said:
Honestly Monster has the global impact potential of a Breaking Bad! Truly a top tier storyline.

No it would not live actions suck
Jun 28, 2023 8:24 AM
Jun 2023
CBPman9001 said:
mrld said:

You could say the same about Game of Thrones, but it is loved by the mainstream media. Which makes me see no reason why people wouldn’t love Monster as well. Which in my opinion is a much more cohesive and gripping package than I found A Song of Ice and Fire to be at its most exciting climaxes.

Game of Thrones is very different than Monster and Johan has more plot armor than all of GoT chaarcters combined.
Jun 28, 2023 8:30 AM
May 2020
CBPman9001 said:
Glitch85 said:

Yeah I absolutely agree. It is a shame the Guillermo Del Toro adaptation with HBO never went through.
Man this would've been honestly ground breaking... The only worry i ever had in this topic is who could even be an actor with the skill necessary to perform the role of johan...
Jun 28, 2023 8:31 AM
May 2020
TEOKXNG said:
ThreeTwenty said:

No it would not live actions suck
Yea that's true, what im saying is imagine a well made live action for Monster
Jun 28, 2023 8:33 AM
May 2020
beatrizk said:
agreed!! i watched it with my dad (who's absolutely not into anime at all lol) a couple months ago and he said the exact same thing. it has so much potential for an amazing live action adaptation!!
Yeah this is my mother's first anime too and I gotta say she went thru it surprisingly well, just goes to show how mature Monster really is
Jun 28, 2023 8:33 AM
Jun 2023
Glitch85 said:
CBPman9001 said:

Man this would've been honestly ground breaking... The only worry i ever had in this topic is who could even be an actor with the skill necessary to perform the role of johan...

Johan is not that much of a great character as you think he is but I am pretty sure skilled actors could be easily found to portray him .
Jun 28, 2023 8:35 AM
May 2020
Dadjjko said:
Glitch85 said:

Johan is not that much of a great character as you think he is but I am pretty sure skilled actors could be easily found to portray him .
Probably, but my point is that the visual expressions are much harder to portray through an actor compared to a drawing
Jun 28, 2023 8:44 AM
Oct 2022
i finished it watching yesterday as well and had this exact thought why did no one successfully tried to get a live action done or just a tv series at that,this would be a hit without a shadow of doubt it's sad that the chances of it happening now are probably close to 0
Jun 28, 2023 8:47 AM
Jun 2023
KanataX said:
i finished it watching yesterday as well and had this exact thought why did no one successfully tried to get a live action done or just a tv series at that,this would be a hit without a shadow of doubt it's sad that the chances of it happening now are probably close to 0

On the contrary, since it began airing on Netflix its chances have increased. 
Jun 28, 2023 8:49 AM
Nov 2021
Glitch85 said:

live action would not be great i personally liked monster because of it's artstyle and the creepy animation will not look good in flashy style
Jun 28, 2023 8:55 AM
Oct 2022
Dadjjko said:
KanataX said:

On the contrary, since it began airing on Netflix its chances have increased. 

yea i suppose but honestly don't see it happening
Jun 28, 2023 10:25 AM
Sep 2020
ofc would be amazing cuz' Monster such a beautiful serie that it can adapt to everything.
Jun 28, 2023 11:02 AM
May 2022
Idk, it would most likely be a global success but i fear that an adaptation would turn out pretty bad to say the least. I cannot envision monster as a live action
Jun 28, 2023 12:08 PM

Sep 2022
Glitch85 said:

Agreed, with the top tier storyline it has a very high chance of success if it gets adapted, also there isn't that dramatic scenes like other 90% animes which would be difficult to convert into a real scene. So...
Jun 28, 2023 1:15 PM
Nov 2021
Can people stop being so stuck up with live action = bad. It defines doesn’t have to be. Sure most of the live action adaptations are bad but that’s because anime is a different medium than live action movies which leads to anime being a totally different experience. Monster on the other hand feels real and grounded which would 100% lead to an amazing live action series if made by the right people and not some money hungry idiots. I remember when I watched it and got the same feeling as when I watched braking bad, which says something
Jun 28, 2023 1:31 PM

Jul 2019
Yeah, I could see this happening
                                                        "𝐼 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑤𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑒𝑟𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑛𝑑 ℎ𝑖𝑚 𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑛 𝑎𝑛𝑦𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑒𝑙𝑠𝑒..."

Jun 28, 2023 1:50 PM

Apr 2020
Yup...like every live Action adaptation. Global. Sucess. Yes, totally.
Jun 28, 2023 3:17 PM
Mar 2022
If they got the wrong actors it would blow. Be honest
Jun 28, 2023 3:59 PM

Mar 2023
I would love to see that happening but Im not looking forward to the "Milos getting manipulated by Johan and seeing the woman getting fucked in the alleyway" scene
Jun 28, 2023 8:03 PM
Nov 2022
they'd ruin it like they did with every other anime... so no...
Jun 28, 2023 9:44 PM

Feb 2021
As long as the casting and the direction is well done, the live action show would be amazing.
Jun 29, 2023 12:28 AM
Feb 2021
If they shortened it maybe and the mystery is good but hopefully we don’t get any live actions for any Naoki series it’s not meant for human beings
Jun 29, 2023 2:59 AM
May 2020
to anyone saying that it would be a botch if the cast is wrong, i definitely agree. it should be a really well produced life action to not flop, which might just be whishful thinking ig lol
Jun 29, 2023 8:15 AM
Aug 2021
Fr tho I've been thinking about this for quite a while. Every studio always tries to punch above its weight by trying to produce the live action of some shonen anime and then fails miserably. Honestly, only Marvel is capable enough to properly produce a live action shonen anime, but with Monster, it'd be quite budget-friendly to produce a good live action considering that it's entirely a real-life setting. All it needs is a good cast and crew.
Jun 29, 2023 9:57 AM
May 2022
I think it’s one of the few anime that could work well in a live action setting, but I still don’t think there’s any need for it
Jun 29, 2023 10:43 AM
Dec 2019
i agree, an anime/manga like this would make sense to make into life action
Jul 2, 2023 1:50 AM
Dec 2021
no thankyou. we have a top tier manga and anime. Why risk its reputation?
Jul 2, 2023 5:33 AM
Dec 2021
I disagree. I think death note's reputation was hurt by that live action abortion they did...it definitely can have pretty bad consequences
Jul 2, 2023 3:34 PM
Dec 2021
Oakkor said:
peterross said:
I disagree. I think death note's reputation was hurt by that live action abortion they did...it definitely can have pretty bad consequences

I didn't see any proof of that online. 

lol...wat? everybody talks and jokes about it
Jul 2, 2023 10:58 PM
May 2023
Glitch85 said:

Didn't Del Toro or somebody try to adapt monster at some point?
Jul 3, 2023 6:05 AM
May 2020
monsterfan1 said:
Glitch85 said:

Didn't Del Toro or somebody try to adapt monster at some point?

he did! long time ago tho, and it went nowhere sadly :/
interesting to see how maybe even toro acknowledged the potential in an adaptation
Jul 3, 2023 1:55 PM
Jan 2022
Feels like it would be even better in live action tho the anime was so good a series like this is meant for it.
Jul 4, 2023 9:31 PM

Oct 2019
yes,

a "good" live action monster will be hailed as one of the best tv shows ever made.

the catch is the GOOD part. producers are dumb asses. if one company was smart enough to give something like monster to team that can make it, it would be a mega hit. it wouldn't even be the most expensive show to produce. 
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 4, 2023 9:32 PM

Oct 2019
peterross said:
death note could have worked great in live action. just because the team that made it fucked up, it doesn't mean it couldn't have worked.

hopefully this new adaptation they are making can make it work.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 4, 2023 9:34 PM

Oct 2019
Merve2Love said:
this one is completely grounded though. it doesn't face any of the problems that other adaptations would face.

death note kinda was the same to a small degree, but on that one the problem was the fact they completely changed the story and characters. if they followed the story 1-1 i actually think it would have been great.
Also available at:

Jul 4, 2023 11:34 PM
Dec 2021
All live action movies can be described in one word: Cringe...it's awesome watching an anime you enjoy, but I can't imagine a live action that isn't cringey af.

Are there any that exist?
Jul 5, 2023 2:10 AM

Apr 2020
APolygons2 said:
Merve2Love said:
this one is completely grounded though. it doesn't face any of the problems that other adaptations would face.

death note kinda was the same to a small degree, but on that one the problem was the fact they completely changed the story and characters. if they followed the story 1-1 i actually think it would have been great.

Deathnote grossed about 29 Million at the boxoffice with an estimated 40 Million Budget.

To call it a global succes "to a small degree" is a bit much, I think. Live Action adaptations of popular anime, in general, aren't very succesful and/or grounded...
Jul 5, 2023 2:11 AM

Oct 2019
Merve2Love said:
APolygons2 said:

Deathnote grossed about 29 Million at the boxoffice with an estimated 40 Million Budget.

To call it a global succes "to a small degree" is a bit much, I think. Live Action adaptations of popular anime, in general, aren't very succesful and/or grounded...
I meant it's like monster to a small degree in terms of being grounded. 

also once again, I am near certain death note would have done well if they followed the story perfectly.
Also available at:

Jul 5, 2023 2:00 PM
Dec 2021
Kaoola said:
peterross said:
All live action movies can be described in one word: Cringe...it's awesome watching an anime you enjoy, but I can't imagine a live action that isn't cringey af.

Are there any that exist?

Such an ignorantly weeb thing to say and yes succesful live-action movie adaptaions like Edge of Tomorrow, Old Boy and Kenshin exist.

ignorantly weeb? mate we all watch anime! ahhh so just 3 good ones? and hundreds of bad ones...got it
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by wibugar »»
May 9, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

105 by puffle9000 »»
May 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

149 by tectacles »»
May 2, 6:40 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

152 by tectacles »»
May 1, 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.