Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 8, 2022 3:46 PM
Sep 2021
Why'd they revert to the Japanese name? It is my preference but I wish it was still MSG instead of Kidou Senshi. Any point to this change?
Nov 8, 2022 4:02 PM

Feb 2012
No clue, for a while, Gundam anime on MAL used the official English title Mobile Suit but manga used Kidou Senshi

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 8, 2022 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
konor-good said:
Why'd they revert to the Japanese name? It is my preference but I wish it was still MSG instead of Kidou Senshi. Any point to this change?

probably because most other series are also using the Japanese title though that's just a wild guess
Nov 8, 2022 4:26 PM

Aug 2019
Wonder when it's gonna happen to Fullmetal Alchemist... the two series are the only ones I can think of that still have their English title on MAL.
Nov 8, 2022 4:56 PM
Nov 8, 2022 5:42 PM
Feb 2020
Yeah this is by far the dumbest thing. Case in point is the site not using Ghost in the Shell which is the OFFICIAL NAME. The site uses some name the author never came up with because, uh, who cares about a franchise! Who cares about using on an enlgihs site the proper english! Why even use Dragonball and not Doraganboru? This has long bothered GitS fans so i guess since im fans of both GitS and Gundam im doubley screwed.
Nov 8, 2022 6:32 PM
Sep 2021
giffica said:
Yeah this is by far the dumbest thing. Case in point is the site not using Ghost in the Shell which is the OFFICIAL NAME. The site uses some name the author never came up with because, uh, who cares about a franchise! Who cares about using on an enlgihs site the proper english! Why even use Dragonball and not Doraganboru? This has long bothered GitS fans so i guess since im fans of both GitS and Gundam im doubley screwed.

Yea, some series use the english name while others use the Japanese. It shows poor organization within the site. Seriously, everyone I know refers to Gundam either by Gundam (Title) or Mobile Suit Gundam:(Title). It's not a very good change.
Nov 8, 2022 6:34 PM
Feb 2020
konor-good said:
giffica said:

Yea, some series use the english name while others use the Japanese. It shows poor organization within the site. Seriously, everyone I know refers to Gundam either by Gundam (Title) or Mobile Suit Gundam:(Title). It's not a very good change.

Besides they didnt even change it right. Its Gundamu, Gundam is still English lmao They are just otakus who want to feel cool cause they read Kanji.

they still use Neon Genesis Eva which isnt nearly its name in Japan. They will never use Cowaboya Bebbappu. they dont have the balls.
Nov 8, 2022 6:37 PM
Sep 2021
giffica said:
konor-good said:

Besides they didnt even change it right. Its Gundamu, Gundam is still English lmao They are just otakus who want to feel cool cause they read Kanji.

they still use Neon Genesis Eva which isnt nearly its name in Japan. They will never use Cowaboya Bebbappu. they dont have the balls.

It's funny you bring that up I was gonna use Eva as an example haha. Atleast with Anilist you can choose whether or not you want the JP name or the ENG one, that should just be a feature here then. There's many titles here that have the JP name that literally no one actually refers to that name as the show. This website is directed more-so to english speakers, more so people who most likely refer to these shows by their english name not the japanese one. With manga I'm not as bothered by that but with anime it just looks stupid and otaku-like.
Nov 8, 2022 6:40 PM
Feb 2020
konor-good said:
giffica said:

It's funny you bring that up I was gonna use Eva as an example haha. Atleast with Anilist you can choose whether or not you want the JP name or the ENG one, that should just be a feature here then. There's many titles here that have the JP name that literally no one actually refers to that name as the show. This website is directed more-so to english speakers, more so people who most likely refer to these shows by their english name not the japanese one. With manga I'm not as bothered by that but with anime it just looks stupid and otaku-like.

I agree it should be a case by case basis or an option would be great. The manga makes sense, but the animes don't. Frankly its this wave of mid Shonen fans. They want to make everything like Kimetsu no Yaiba and Shingeki No Kyojin.
Nov 8, 2022 6:44 PM
Sep 2021
giffica said:
konor-good said:

I agree it should be a case by case basis or an option would be great. The manga makes sense, but the animes don't. Frankly its this wave of mid Shonen fans. They want to make everything like Kimetsu no Yaiba and Shingeki No Kyojin.

I don't think the shonen plays a part of it, it's rather just more so the otaku wanting it to be Japanese cause we're washing their culture by changing the name, or some dumb reason like that. This is an english site, not a japanese one, it should be english. No one calls shows like Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan, "Kishibe Rohan wa Ugokanai" it just sounds stupid to say that.
Nov 8, 2022 6:47 PM
Feb 2020
konor-good said:
giffica said:

I don't think the shonen plays a part of it, it's rather just more so the otaku wanting it to be Japanese cause we're washing their culture by changing the name, or some dumb reason like that. This is an english site, not a japanese one, it should be english. No one calls shows like Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan, "Kishibe Rohan wa Ugokanai" it just sounds stupid to say that.

Yeah if you even use that name you'll get laughed at by 95% of the world. Using a Japanese name makes you weird, not authentic.
Nov 8, 2022 7:42 PM
Mar 2021
giffica said:
konor-good said:

Actually per site rules English words in titles must remain in English.

Gundam was originally thought of in English and simply written in katakana ガンダム "Gandamu", which is literally the same word pronounced with a Japanese English accent.

Hence why ガンダム ザンダーボルト "Gandamu zandāboruto" -> Gundam Thunderbolt also remains in English
Nov 8, 2022 8:01 PM
Feb 2020
dacuevash said:
giffica said:

Gundam was originally thought of in English and simply written in katakana ガンダム "Gandamu", which is literally the same word pronounced with a Japanese English accent.

Hence why ガンダム ザンダーボルト "Gandamu zandāboruto" -> Gundam Thunderbolt also remains in English

Do you think the word Mobile Suit is Japanese or something? This argument makes zero sense. Have you not watched Gundam?

There are many mechs in Gundam. They are called "Mobile suits" in english, in the very original series and every series after. "Moboru Suto" has been the term former. Not once in the series do they use the term Kidou Senshi. That was a TRANSLATION OF THE ENGLISH under your own logic they should have kept the english -_-

The proof is usage of MS in 8th MS Team. Why did the site not change the title to 8th KS Team? Because they arent "kido senshis" they are mobile suits.

Make sense. please. What you said doesnt and its really upsetting.
Nov 8, 2022 8:48 PM
Mar 2021
giffica said:
dacuevash said:

Do you think the word Mobile Suit is Japanese or something? This argument makes zero sense. Have you not watched Gundam?

There are many mechs in Gundam. They are called "Mobile suits" in english, in the very original series and every series after. "Moboru Suto" has been the term former. Not once in the series do they use the term Kidou Senshi. That was a TRANSLATION OF THE ENGLISH under your own logic they should have kept the english -_-

The proof is usage of MS in 8th MS Team. Why did the site not change the title to 8th KS Team? Because they arent "kido senshis" they are mobile suits.

Dude, you’re the one who lacks reading comprehension. I never once said "kidou Senshi" means "Mobile suit" or anything like that.

But ok let me be clearer with my explanation.

The original Japanese title is 機動戦士ガンダム that can be pronounced as "kidou Senshi Gandamu" and that would literally translate to something like "Mobile machine warrior Gundam". As you can see this isn’t really a catchy name in English so the official international English title was changed to "Mobile Suit Gundam", as you pointed out, "Mobile suit" or "mobiru sutsu" also abbreviated as MS is the official in-universe name of mechs since it’s implied English is actually the official in-universe language of Gundam shows (except for Build).

However, if you look at the title you’ll notice only 機動戦士 "kidou Senshi" is in actual Japanese kanji, it’s Japanese of course, but ガンダム “Gandamu” is written in katakana (a phonetical alphabet used specifically for foreign loanwords) since it’s supposed to be an English word (please refer to when I said the in-universe language is English)

So, MAL likes to use the original Japanese titles in romaji because of course most otakus can’t actually read Japanese, and per MAL rules, words in these original titles that are supposed to be English must remain written in English spelling, NOT their phonetical pronunciations from their Japanese spelling, so…

Kidou Senshi Gundam is the result.

You also mentioned Eva and Cowboy Bebop, let’s go over them to help you understand this better.

カウボーイビバップ "kaubōi bibappu" is the original title, but hey it’s written in katakana, so if you take away the badly pronounced English it’s supposed to say Cowboy Bebop anyways, hence why it does not need to be changed.

Now Eva is shown with its international title, same as Gundam was previous to the change. But let’s say they change the title too.

新世紀エヴァンゲリオン, pronounced "shin seiki evangerion" is the original title of Eva, 新世紀 "shin seiki" liters means "New era" or "New century" which doesn’t sound very interesting in English, so let’s just change it to "Neon Genesis" to make it sound better, but look! again エヴァンゲリオン is written in katakana since it’s an in-universe English word "Evangelion". So… if MAL where to also change Eva’s title it’d be "Shin Seiki Evangelion"

I hope this made my point clearer, if it didn’t I’m afraid you’re just dumb
Nov 8, 2022 9:10 PM
Feb 2020
dacuevash said:
giffica said:

Dude, you’re the one who lacks reading comprehension. I never once said "kidou Senshi" means "Mobile suit" or anything like that.

The original Japanese title is 機動戦士ガンダム that can be pronounced as "kidou Senshi Gandamu" and that would literally translate to something like "Mobile machine warrior Gundam". As you can see this isn’t really a catchy name in English so the official international English title was changed to "Mobile Suit Gundam", as you pointed out, "Mobile suit" or "mobiru sutsu" also abbreviated as MS is the official in-universe name of mechs since it’s implied English is actually the official in-universe language of Gundam shows (except for Build).

However, if you look at the title you’ll notice only 機動戦士 "kidou Senshi" is in actual Japanese kanji, it’s Japanese of course, but ガンダム “Gandamu” is written in katakana (a phonetical alphabet used specifically for foreign loanwords) since it’s supposed to be an English word (please refer to when I said the in-universe language is English)

So, MAL likes to use the original Japanese titles in romaji because of course most otakus can’t actually read Japanese, and per MAL rules, words in these original titles that are supposed to be English must remain written in English spelling, NOT their phonetical pronunciations from their Japanese spelling, so…

You also mentioned Eva and Cowboy Bebop, let’s go over them to help you understand this better.

カウボーイビバップ "kaubōi bibappu" is the original title, but hey it’s written in katakana, so if you take away the badly pronounced English it’s supposed to say Cowboy Bebop anyways, hence why it does not need to be changed.

Now Eva is shown with its international title, same as Gundam was previous to the change. But let’s say they change the title too.

新世紀エヴァンゲリオン, pronounced "shin seiki evangerion" is the original title of Eva, 新世紀 "shin seiki" liters means "New era" or "New century" which doesn’t sound very interesting in English, so let’s just change it to "Neon Genesis" to make it sound better, but look! again エヴァンゲリオン is written in katakana since it’s an in-universe English word "Evangelion". So… if MAL where to also change Eva’s title it’d be "Shin Seiki Evangelion"

I'm aware of your point, im telling you its to appeal to weebs who wants things to be Japanese. Not to the sensibilities of a creator. Otherwise we would be changing 8th MS Team like I pointed out, but in Japan, in native Japanese, they call it Mobile Suit Gundam. That's my point with this.

Your point about Kanji isn't exactly relevant. They don't use kanji because there are no kanji? What kanji do you use for Gundam? It doesn't exist. Gundam is Gun+Freedom, they would have to combine the relative Kanji of those words. For all intents and purposes the official title of Gundam is Mobile Suit Gundam and "Kidou Senshi" is just a japanese localization. No reason its the official title.

Plus make sense of any of this for Ghost in the Shell, the original series that started this backlash. They literally have Stand Alone Complex as a surtitle to Koukaku Kidoutai lmao. By that argument, the Original should be "Koukaku Kidoutai: Ghost in the Shell" and the 2nd movie should be "Koukaku Kidoutai: Innocence" instead, movie 2 is Innocence and 1 is Koukaku Kidoutai. No usage of the original title, Ghost in the Shell, which was always there, since the beginning, and the creator and never called it anything but "Ghost in the Shell".

This site uses "Koukaku Kidoutai" as a TRANSLATION of Ghost in the Shell, when the full title, the actual manga and anime, have always been "Koukaku Kidoutai: Ghost in the Shell".

Besides none of this is accurate to pronunciation. Japanese still pronounce and use Katakana to write Cowboy Bebop. Its in 'japanese'. Gundam is in ENGLISH even in every instance of Japanese, so ofc that word will always be English. Cowboy Bebop isnt written, the Japanese for it is written. Besides how about Cowboy Bebop Shooting Star? Still uses the english localization surtitle.

Sure Eva may get changed, but the individual cases are limitless. Gyakku Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor should be an example that fits Koukaku kidoutai: ghost in the shell, correct? So why is that the way it is, with random English, and not gits?

The ultimate point is i get this site is conforming to Japanese localization, and ignoring how creators call their work. Wish that would be made clear instead of changing GitS and Gundam, the two most important franchises, against their creators conventions. Its annoying to appeal to weebs.
Nov 8, 2022 9:29 PM

Mar 2019
Doesn't really matter in which language the name is to be honest, I suppose the English name still reads below the Japanese one.

giffica said:
hey don't use kanji because there are no kanji? What kanji do you use for Gundam? It doesn't exist. Gundam is Gun+Freedom

Im sorry to interject, but Gundam in practice stands for Gun+dam=Gundam. The word was admittedly at some point supposed to be Gun+freedom=Gundom, but that just sounds stupid. Fun fact The Gundam 79 project was actually originally called Freedom Fighter Gunboy.

Edit: essentially this is just nitpicking really.
KumiveneellaNov 8, 2022 9:35 PM
Nov 8, 2022 9:42 PM
Feb 2020
Kumiveneella said:
Doesn't really matter in which language the name is to be honest, I suppose the English name still reads below the Japanese one.

giffica said:
hey don't use kanji because there are no kanji? What kanji do you use for Gundam? It doesn't exist. Gundam is Gun+Freedom

Im sorry to interject, but Gundam in practice stands for Gun+dam=Gundam. The word was admittedly at some point supposed to be Gun+freedom=Gundom, but that just sounds stupid. Fun fact The Gundam 79 project was actually originally called Freedom Fighter Gunboy.

It still stands for freedom, the pronunciation is the same. We pronounce "Gundam" like "Gundum" and Freedom is "Freedum". It makes sense, but letters in English dont generally mean anything for how a thing sounds.

I get it doesnt mean that really in universe, and is more of a production quirk, but it does inform the creation of the word. However if we used words that made sense we wouldn't call it Kidou Senshi at all. Mobility Warrior has absolutely, completely nothing to do with anything in Gundam. Mobile Suits, indeed do. Which is why this rubs Gundam fand the wrong way in the first place.

Densetsu Kyojin Ideon? It's literally called Space Runaway Ideon in the japanese title, and song? Who got Densetsu Kyojin from anything? oh wait the title was changed around episode 13.....none of this makes much sense.

Why does Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood have the word brotherhood? its a surtitle. no other series gets their surtitle. Koukaku Kidoutai: Ghost in the Shell certainly doesnt....what gives that anime some right over others? Why not Fullmetal Alchemist (2009) like Shaman King (2021)? Or Hunter x Hunter (2011)? Its arbitrary. The site wont stay consistent.
Nov 8, 2022 10:19 PM
Mar 2021
giffica said:
dacuevash said:

I'm aware of your point, im telling you its to appeal to weebs who wants things to be Japanese. Not to the sensibilities of a creator. Otherwise we would be changing 8th MS Team like I pointed out, but in Japan, in native Japanese, they call it Mobile Suit Gundam. That's my point with this.

Your point about Kanji isn't exactly relevant. They don't use kanji because there are no kanji? What kanji do you use for Gundam? It doesn't exist. Gundam is Gun+Freedom, they would have to combine the relative Kanji of those words. For all intents and purposes the official title of Gundam is Mobile Suit Gundam and "Kidou Senshi" is just a japanese localization. No reason its the official title.

Plus make sense of any of this for Ghost in the Shell, the original series that started this backlash. They literally have Stand Alone Complex as a surtitle to Koukaku Kidoutai lmao. By that argument, the Original should be "Koukaku Kidoutai: Ghost in the Shell" and the 2nd movie should be "Koukaku Kidoutai: Innocence" instead, movie 2 is Innocence and 1 is Koukaku Kidoutai. No usage of the original title, Ghost in the Shell, which was always there, since the beginning, and the creator and never called it anything but "Ghost in the Shell".

This site uses "Koukaku Kidoutai" as a TRANSLATION of Ghost in the Shell, when the full title, the actual manga and anime, have always been "Koukaku Kidoutai: Ghost in the Shell".

Besides none of this is accurate to pronunciation. Japanese still pronounce and use Katakana to write Cowboy Bebop. Its in 'japanese'. Gundam is in ENGLISH even in every instance of Japanese, so ofc that word will always be English. Cowboy Bebop isnt written, the Japanese for it is written. Besides how about Cowboy Bebop Shooting Star? Still uses the english localization surtitle.

Sure Eva may get changed, but the individual cases are limitless. Gyakku Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor should be an example that fits Koukaku kidoutai: ghost in the shell, correct? So why is that the way it is, with random English, and not gits?

The ultimate point is i get this site is conforming to Japanese localization, and ignoring how creators call their work. Wish that would be made clear instead of changing GitS and Gundam, the two most important franchises, against their creators conventions. Its annoying to appeal to weebs.

Yeah you’re dumb. Please work on your reading comprehension and try to get your facts right.

Sorry but I just don’t have the energy to keep arguing with you so bye
Nov 8, 2022 10:22 PM
Feb 2020
dacuevash said:
giffica said:

Yeah you’re dumb. Please work on your reading comprehension and try to get your facts right.

You are clearly an imbecile who doesn't know what pandering to a japanese audience means. Japanese people call it Mobile Suit Gundam, not Kidou Senshi lmao.

You lost the argument and can't even address Ghost in the Shell which has been an issue for our fanbase for two decades.
Nov 8, 2022 10:32 PM
Mar 2021
giffica said:
dacuevash said:

You are clearly an imbecile who doesn't know what pandering to a japanese audience means. Japanese people call it Mobile Suit Gundam, not Kidou Senshi lmao.

You lost the argument and can't even address Ghost in the Shell which has been an issue for our fanbase for two decades.

Ok now I’m mad. Have you ever seen any Gundam related media in Japanese? Just fucking listen to what they say! They DO NOT say "Mobile Suit Gundam" or "Mobiru Sutsu Gandamu" for that matter since, if you didn’t know Japanese are horrible at pronouncing English!

They DO SAY "Kidou Senshi Gandamu" since that’s what’s always been called in Japanese, because the show is JAPANESE. Just look at any poster or logo and you’ll see very clearly how it’s written. AND if you want to go any further watch a video with Japanese people talking about Gundam, just listen to how they say "kidou Senshi", please.

Also I don’t actually care too much about Ghost in the Shell so like, I’m just here because of Gundam.

Yeah otakus are weird for wanting to say the OG Japanese title even though they can’t fucking understand what they’re saying, I don’t defend that, but right now I’m just arguing with you because you can’t seem to understand the very simple concept im presenting to you and to top it off you’re just using fake evidence to prove your very stupid point that makes literally zero sense
Nov 8, 2022 10:33 PM

Mar 2019
giffica said:
Kumiveneella said:

It still stands for freedom, the pronunciation is the same. We pronounce "Gundam" like "Gundum" and Freedom is "Freedum". It makes sense, but letters in English dont generally mean anything for how a thing sounds.

I get it doesnt mean that really in universe, and is more of a production quirk, but it does inform the creation of the word. However if we used words that made sense we wouldn't call it Kidou Senshi at all. Mobility Warrior has absolutely, completely nothing to do with anything in Gundam. Mobile Suits, indeed do. Which is why this rubs Gundam fand the wrong way in the first place.

Densetsu Kyojin Ideon? It's literally called Space Runaway Ideon in the japanese title, and song? Who got Densetsu Kyojin from anything? oh wait the title was changed around episode 13.....none of this makes much sense.

Why does Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood have the word brotherhood? its a surtitle. no other series gets their surtitle. Koukaku Kidoutai: Ghost in the Shell certainly doesnt....what gives that anime some right over others? Why not Fullmetal Alchemist (2009) like Shaman King (2021)? Or Hunter x Hunter (2011)? Its arbitrary. The site wont stay consistent.

I also wonder why Ghost in the shell was changed into Koukaku Kitoudai, meaning Mobile Armored Riot Police. I guess the decision to change the name to Koukaku Kitoudai was done in order to keep the entry consistent with other entries from the same series. Although even then the sequel is just called Innocence, Arise is called Koukaku Kitoudai Arise: (entry name) and Stand Alone Complex is called Koukaku Kitoudai: Standalone Complex. For some reason the entries in this series have been handled quite inconsistently.

Nonetheless, I suppose the use of Japanese names for series is essentially just a design decision, even if a poorly executed one at the moment. Maybe in the future these inconsistencies will be fixed.

Nov 8, 2022 10:44 PM
Feb 2020
dacuevash said:
giffica said:

Ok now I’m mad. Have you ever seen any Gundam related media in Japanese? Just fucking listen to what they say! They DO NOT say "Mobile Suit Gundam" or "Mobiru Sutsu Gandamu" for that matter since, if you didn’t know Japanese are horrible at pronouncing English!

They DO SAY "Kidou Senshi Gandamu" since that’s what’s always been called in Japanese, because the show is JAPANESE. Just look at any poster or logo and you’ll see very clearly how it’s written. AND if you want to go any further watch a video with Japanese people talking about Gundam, just listen to how they say "kidou Senshi", please.

Also I don’t actually care too much about Ghost in the Shell so like, I’m just here because of Gundam.

Yeah otakus are weird for wanting to say the OG Japanese title even though they can’t fucking understand what they’re saying, I don’t defend that, but right now I’m just arguing with you because you can’t seem to understand the very simple concept im presenting to you and to top it off you’re just using fake evidence to prove your very stupid point that makes literally zero sense

Alright now im just mad becuase youre simply wrong. Go listen to any interview with THE CREATORS. I dont care what some official Japanese licensing calls gundam. Kunio Okuwara, the man who invented the damn thing, doesn't even say GundamU he just says "Gundam". He doesnt even use the canon words in japanese. He says "Space Colony" IN ENGLISH, WHICH HAS JAPANESE WORDS FOR IT LOL. Singularly the character designer, Yoshikazu Yasuhiko also does the same thing.

Please, ask me who i care about your street view or the man who invented the Gundam and concept of Mobile suits lol

I don't care about some western weeb adherance to "muh original japanese" because the original Japanese (like bebop) was always seen as an "english" series and that made it cooler.

Still, you have yet to address Ghost in the Shell, which like i said has been a debate since 1985 between the Creator and Publisher. I'm glsad MAL stands with publishers, not the creators who actually own the rights. Japanese works are not American, and i will not have this bs erasure of the creators will in works. Thats WHY MANGA AND ANIME ARE GOOD. Thats the quality that gives them the things we all like about anime. Listen to the creators when it comes to pronunciation.

Let me get to the root. The only reason Gundam and GitS are in Japanese vs most series these days in English IS BECAUSE THOSE TWO VERY SERIES MADE THE SWAP TO NORMALIZING ENGLISH WORDS IN ANIME. Ffs. Thats why this matters to OUR FANBASES. Weebs are sickening. I'm an otaku, not some japanophile weeb. I value arbitrary canonicity.
Nov 8, 2022 10:52 PM
Feb 2020
Kumiveneella said:
giffica said:

I also wonder why Ghost in the shell was changed into Koukaku Kitoudai, meaning Mobile Armored Riot Police. I guess the decision to change the name to Koukaku Kitoudai was done in order to keep the entry consistent with other entries from the same series. Although even then the sequel is just called Innocence, Arise is called Koukaku Kitoudai Arise: (entry name) and Stand Alone Complex is called Koukaku Kitoudai: Standalone Complex. For some reason the entries in this series have been handled quite inconsistently.

Nonetheless, I suppose the use of Japanese names for series is essentially just a design decision, even if a poorly executed one at the moment. Maybe in the future these inconsistencies will be fixed.

Because Ghost in the Shell was one of the first series to begin using English language names (along with Gundam, it was pioneered in the mecha space, which gits fell under until it created cyberpunk).

Gundam and Gits using Japanese are hold overs from being pre85 series.

The publisher forced Shirow Masamune to use Koukaku Kidoutai, and he has STRONGLY condemned calling Ghost in the Shell by that name AT ALL. Which is why our fanbase gets upset on this issue.

Names of a series are more about search results and marketing, and creators often dont call it what they really want. Toriyama didnt come up with Dragonball, his editor did, and Naruto was called something else originally too. Its no shock names are kinda random but some names after 40 years in a franchise have sway over others, and not using the typical fanbase name is just bs and showing favouritism to shows like Evangelion and Full metal Alchemist which dont get changed to retain their search ranking.

Lets also nail this in the coffin. 8th MS Team is a good example.

Kidō Senshi Gandamu Dai Zerohachi Emu Esu Shōtai

"Zerohachi" is the Japanese word for 08. Emu Esu is M S. The goddamn japanese KANJI is a literal translation of English LETTERS AND NUMBERS NOT EVEN WORDS. Any Annos that tells you to stick to Kanji is full of it.

I'll add do we call Boruto "Naruto" or BORUTO? They are calling every single "Gundam" the equivalent of all Naruto spin offs being titles "Naruto:Boruto" lmao
gifficaNov 8, 2022 10:56 PM
Nov 8, 2022 11:05 PM
Feb 2020
dacuevash said:
giffica said:

Besises your own arguments have been flawed. Gundam Thunderbolt being the perfect example. Go pick up the actual Tankoban volume, which i own, of Thunderbolt. The japanese. What does it say?

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt. RIGHT THERE ON THE COVER IN JAPANESE IT USES THE ENGLISH.

Further proof is that on all the Thunderbolt movie posts "Mlbile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt" is big and wide, and the japanese is in a tiny corner. Every pre show graphic is the same. So I don't know what i should call this show. Should i go around calling it Kidou Senshi Gundam Thunderbolt to my friends?

Dozens of examples like this but you'll not get to the core which is weebs wanting to be japanophiles, against the wishes of Gundam and GitS fanbases, biased in favor of Eva and Fma.
Nov 8, 2022 11:28 PM
Mar 2021
You gotta be fucking kidding me man. Of course they say Mobile Suit Gundam, that’s the stylized international title! It’s just simple logic that a franchise like Gundam would do that!

But ok now look at the titile written in Japanese and do a simple Google translation. You’ll find it very clearly starts with “kidou Senshi”.

Look for a title that looks like this: 機動戦士ガンダム サンダーボルト

Many Gundam logos does this, part of it is written in Japanese and part of it is written in English. See Gundam SEED, 00 for example.

At this point I just can’t fucking understand how you’re failing to understand that what you’re trying to say it’s what’s severely flawed, I mean have you ever watched Gundam? Or any other anime for that matter?
Nov 8, 2022 11:30 PM
Mar 2021
giffica said:
dacuevash said:

Besises your own arguments have been flawed. Gundam Thunderbolt being the perfect example. Go pick up the actual Tankoban volume, which i own, of Thunderbolt. The japanese. What does it say?

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt. RIGHT THERE ON THE COVER IN JAPANESE IT USES THE ENGLISH.

Further proof is that on all the Thunderbolt movie posts "Mlbile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt" is big and wide, and the japanese is in a tiny corner. Every pre show graphic is the same. So I don't know what i should call this show. Should i go around calling it Kidou Senshi Gundam Thunderbolt to my friends?

Dozens of examples like this but you'll not get to the core which is weebs wanting to be japanophiles, against the wishes of Gundam and GitS fanbases, biased in favor of Eva and Fma.

Please refer to the previous comment I posted, forgot to quote sorry
Nov 8, 2022 11:52 PM
Feb 2020
dacuevash said:
You gotta be fucking kidding me man. Of course they say Mobile Suit Gundam, that’s the stylized international title! It’s just simple logic that a franchise like Gundam would do that!

But ok now look at the titile written in Japanese and do a simple Google translation. You’ll find it very clearly starts with “kidou Senshi”.

Look for a title that looks like this: 機動戦士ガンダム サンダーボルト

Many Gundam logos does this, part of it is written in Japanese and part of it is written in English. See Gundam SEED, 00 for example.

At this point I just can’t fucking understand how you’re failing to understand that what you’re trying to say it’s what’s severely flawed, I mean have you ever watched Gundam? Or any other anime for that matter?
I'm understanding WHY they do what they do, i get it, I'm telling you it's going against the standardized pronunciation and preferred way the authors refer to a series. And it's also the inconsistency across the site for no reason, yet picking on franchises that have a MORE JUSTIFIED REASON to use their english than others, example....Ghost in the Shell. Which predates the Gundam name change, and was one of the major franchises that began this in the first place...so let's start there.

It's not just "the stylized international title" it's THE title. The LOCALIZED version of the REAL TITLE "Mobile Suit Gundam" is "Kido Senshi Gundam". This site is choose to go with Japanese localization on SOME FRANCHISES (Gundam, Gits) instead of others (Eva, FMA) to maintain the latter twos relatively high search ranking, bumping up the popularity. THAT'S the issue. This is a fan war. I'm old school.
Nov 9, 2022 4:10 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know why they changed it. It's no bother me at all tho

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

55 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:36 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

60 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:28 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

119 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 42 Discussion

Pheefa - Jul 25, 2010

43 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Jul 4, 2009

56 by CartoonVelocirap »»
May 16, 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.