Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 26, 2022 8:53 PM

Aug 2021
I seriously cannot understand people who think Asuka and Shinji has ended up together, they think after the last scene, they will reconcile with each other. Some think they may help each other grow since they are foils for each other.

It's because of their dysfunctional friendship, I don't think any romantic relationship will work out after the End of Evangelion. They brought out the worst things in each other at the same time, there is nothing in Evangelion that they can bring out the best in each other especially after the End of Evangelion. Imagine if people started thinking that Guts and Griffith in Berserk will become good friends especially after nightmare inducing event called Eclipse, that's how stupid this idea that Asuka and Shinji will end up together after the final scene in End of Evangelion.

Honestly, only one who had any chance having romantic relationship with Shinji was Kaworu but too bad, he died very early at his own love interest.

Oct 26, 2022 9:08 PM
Dec 2018
Of course. Romantic stuff between them only happen in Rebuild version.
Oct 26, 2022 9:47 PM
Jan 2021
I don’t understand how anyone sees them in a romantic light at all. I just finished watching tonight and I was expecting something romantic with anybody, but nothing happened lol
Oct 26, 2022 9:48 PM

Nov 2019
Shippers do their stuffs, anyway. Cope.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Oct 26, 2022 10:05 PM

Apr 2022
rebuilds say otherwise but ye for main timeline, that should be common knowledge
Oct 26, 2022 10:17 PM

Jan 2022
People like the idea of Asuka x Shinji because they are essentially the same person. The only difference between them is that Asuka lashes outwards and Shinji retreats inwards. Other than that they’re both hedgehogs who suffer from the same abandonment insecurities and struggle to get close to others. Only once they do finally find someone, they latch on to them like a parasite demanding salvation via their companionship.

More than anything though, they both hate themselves.

That’s why as they are they can never truly end up together. They cannot accept the flaws in each other that remind them of themselves. That’s why I think it’s really fitting that these two are the only ones who survive instrumentality. A big part of Eva is about accepting who you are and now Shinji must live in a world where the only other person is basically an alternate version of himself.

But I cannot really judge the shippers too much. After all, Shinji truly falling in love with Asuka would be a way to show that he has come to love himself as well, and that’s a nice thought. But Shinji ending up with anyone kind of undermines a number of things I think Eva is trying to say and I would much rather him to take charge of his own destiny alone. But that’s just me.

If he gotta be with someone, at least Mari is nice.
-insert NGE meme here-
Oct 26, 2022 10:46 PM
Jun 2022
Absolutely agree. Especially since she’s always so mean to him and shinji is just a horny 14 year old boy. I honestly can’t see them being in a romantic light after watching them bickering like siblings, even in Rebuild. But I haven’t watch the last one yet. Is it true that he

*********** SPOILER***********

ends up with Mari?
Oct 26, 2022 11:08 PM
Nov 2019
zeranime said:
Absolutely agree. Especially since she’s always so mean to him and shinji is just a horny 14 year old boy. I honestly can’t see them being in a romantic light after watching them bickering like siblings, even in Rebuild. But I haven’t watch the last one yet. Is it true that he

ends up with Mari?

he is a young pilot 🤣
Oct 27, 2022 2:26 AM
Dec 2019
zeranime said:

ends up with Mari?

It's not explicitly shown, but in the end they are the only two people who remember what happened throughout the previous movies so the movie ends with them running off together after we are briefly shown some of the other charecters also living their lives normally (most likely) oblivious to anything that happened.
Oct 27, 2022 4:30 AM
Jul 2022
Exactly!I see them as siblings,they seem to have 0 romantic interests
Oct 27, 2022 5:19 AM
Jun 2022
Subham0464 said:
zeranime said:

ends up with Mari?

It's not explicitly shown, but in the end they are the only two people who remember what happened throughout the previous movies so the movie ends with them running off together after we are briefly shown some of the other charecters also living their lives normally (most likely) oblivious to anything that happened.

Oh thanks. Surprisingly, I have no problem with that. I do like asuka but Mari is cool and kind, and I feel like Shinji’s more suitable with someone like that. It’s weird but somehow makes sense lol
Oct 27, 2022 7:09 AM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
As someone whose only experience with Evangelion is the original series + EoE, I legit don't get why people even call Asuka a tsundere, since that term implies she has feelings for Shinji that she's concealing under her rudeness. Yeah, uh... What exactly implies she likes Shinji romantically?

And that's not a rhetorical question making fun of what I perceive to be "bad" chemistry, it's a literal question about what I would say is ZERO romantic chemistry, implied or otherwise

As far as I see it, it's just another example of media fans seeing a male and female character of roughly the same age and saying that they MUST be romantically involved for some reason... even though, canonically, there's WAY more evidence for Kaworu or Misato as Shinji's love-interest
My greatest contribution to this website:
Oct 27, 2022 7:33 AM

Mar 2020
Yeah, the only character Shinji has any romantic (as in emotional instead of purely sexual) interest in the original show and EoE is Kaworu, but shippers gonna ship and Rei and Asuka are the OG waifus.

Oct 27, 2022 7:54 AM
Jul 2011
Ofc, they are both too mentally damaged to have even something like we call romantic relationships. 🤷‍♂️
Oct 27, 2022 8:56 AM
Dec 2016
If you go into Eva thinking this is a story about romance you're seriously mistaken and it saddens me how many people seem to not understand this.
Oct 27, 2022 9:23 AM
Apr 2022
evangelion is so sussy
Oct 27, 2022 9:43 AM

Aug 2020
Totally agreed. And there are still people who call Asuka a tsundere.
Oct 27, 2022 3:29 PM

Aug 2014
It’s pretty obvious the real ship is Misato x Shinji.

Asuka is toxic af, and you never stick your dick in crazy.
Oct 27, 2022 4:07 PM
May 2022
I agree. Never really made sense to me tbh.
Oct 27, 2022 8:09 PM
Jul 2022
People have always called Asuka a tsundere but that is not true, she really does not like Shinji. She is not showing affection through playful teasing/violence in a playing hard to get way. My current knowledge of Evangelion only covers the series and EoE (I am getting around to watching rebuild) and what I got from their relationship is that Asuka sees the weakness that Shinji has and does not like it because it reminds her that she actually younger and more afraid than she lets on. She is more mad at herself and everyone else around her but takes it out on Shinji just because he seems to be the easiest target.
Oct 27, 2022 8:33 PM
Jan 2022
I never saw them as supposed to be romantic. And I didn’t watch the rebuilds, just the series and EoE.
Oct 28, 2022 7:34 AM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
ggsksksks they give these fun siblings incesty vibes not really shoujo romance vibes

Oct 28, 2022 7:44 AM

Dec 2021
what sane person ships this lol, you're talking about people that are just weird
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Oct 28, 2022 2:55 PM
Jul 2016
obviously Kawoshin 4life
Dec 5, 2022 7:54 PM

Jul 2014
That's part of the point of the film. They bring out the worst in each other.
Take care of yourself

Dec 5, 2022 7:55 PM

Aug 2018
i'm a asuka x kaji kinda guy
Feb 28, 2023 2:21 AM
May 2022
Sanjay63773 said:
I seriously cannot understand people who think Asuka and Shinji has ended up together, they think after the last scene, they will reconcile with each other. Some think they may help each other grow since they are foils for each other.

It's because of their dysfunctional friendship, I don't think any romantic relationship will work out after the End of Evangelion. They brought out the worst things in each other at the same time, there is nothing in Evangelion that they can bring out the best in each other especially after the End of Evangelion. Imagine if people started thinking that Guts and Griffith in Berserk will become good friends especially after nightmare inducing event called Eclipse, that's how stupid this idea that Asuka and Shinji will end up together after the final scene in End of Evangelion.

Honestly, only one who had any chance having romantic relationship with Shinji was Kaworu but too bad, he died very early at his own love interest.

I haven’t seen the reboot series but I finished the movie. I can cay that you are half right. There is character growth between them, especially in the series, where certain… scenes happen. But after the movie ends they aren’t getting together
Apr 23, 2023 11:22 AM
Nov 2021
JayBlue said:
It’s pretty obvious the real ship is Misato x Shinji.

Asuka is toxic af, and you never stick your dick in crazy.

Shinji getting groomed by someone twice his age is pretty much sticking yo dick in crazy too. Toxic relationship implies theres relation there was none between shinji asuka basically enemies and enemies can become friends or lovers thats anime motto
Apr 23, 2023 11:31 AM
Nov 2021
zeranime said:
Subham0464 said:

Oh thanks. Surprisingly, I have no problem with that. I do like asuka but Mari is cool and kind, and I feel like Shinji’s more suitable with someone like that. It’s weird but somehow makes sense lol

Not really mari had manga story where she was into yuri and was into someone. It was fan service but there you have it she isnt interested in guys in first place
May 22, 2023 10:43 AM
Mar 2022
I’m not sure how these two would be able to make amends with each other after all the shit they’ve been through, let alone be friends or in a healthy relationship.

And it’s more than likely that Asuka will remain as a bitch and abuse Shinji for the rest of her life.
Jun 28, 2023 4:17 PM
Jun 2023
alesiaanime10 said:
Exactly!I see them as siblings,they seem to have 0 romantic interests
You're kidding, right? Maybe siblings from Alabama, given that they made out, which is something girls only do with guys they're attracted to (particularly Asuka). And I'm aware that Asuka wanted to grow up fast using sexuality as a path. She still isn't going to kiss just any guy, as she had ample opportunity to do so given how many admirers she had at school.

Adorarara said:
People have always called Asuka a tsundere but that is not true, she really does not like Shinji. She is not showing affection through playful teasing/violence in a playing hard to get way. My current knowledge of Evangelion only covers the series and EoE (I am getting around to watching rebuild) and what I got from their relationship is that Asuka sees the weakness that Shinji has and does not like it because it reminds her that she actually younger and more afraid than she lets on. She is more mad at herself and everyone else around her but takes it out on Shinji just because he seems to be the easiest target.
Try watching the original NGE again, specifically episode 22 (the director's cut version). She definitely likes Shinji romantically, she was upset that he didn't make a move on her when she declared the "Wall of Jericho" scene in episode 9 and was also upset that he didn't hold her when she kissed him in episode 15 (the gargling water/being grossed out was a ruse meant to cover her hurt feelings of rejection). And yes, she does hate some aspects of Shinji, specifically those aspects she sees as weakness in herself. These feelings coexist with her attraction to him.
Kii_Ibarra said:
As someone whose only experience with Evangelion is the original series + EoE, I legit don't get why people even call Asuka a tsundere, since that term implies she has feelings for Shinji that she's concealing under her rudeness. Yeah, uh... What exactly implies she likes Shinji romantically?

And that's not a rhetorical question making fun of what I perceive to be "bad" chemistry, it's a literal question about what I would say is ZERO romantic chemistry, implied or otherwise

As far as I see it, it's just another example of media fans seeing a male and female character of roughly the same age and saying that they MUST be romantically involved for some reason... even though, canonically, there's WAY more evidence for Kaworu or Misato as Shinji's love-interest
See above. It baffles me how many people here are totally clueless about the obvious romantic tension between them (though they are right in saying they never had a relationship due to how damaged they both are).

Anyway, the reason people ship Asuka and Shinji is because they're the main "couple" used to illustrate the hedgehog's dilemma throughout the show and EOE, one of its major themes.
Jul 1, 2023 10:38 AM
Apr 2023
ShogunofSorrow12 said:
I’m not sure how these two would be able to make amends with each other after all the shit they’ve been through, let alone be friends or in a healthy relationship.

And it’s more than likely that Asuka will remain as a bitch and abuse Shinji for the rest of her life.

Did any of you not watch eoe???
Jul 3, 2023 9:44 PM
Mar 2022
Launches said:
ShogunofSorrow12 said:

I did. I’ve seen EOE probably at least twice now.
Jul 4, 2023 4:32 PM
Apr 2023
ShogunofSorrow12 said:
Launches said:

The scene we see at the end is the most hopeful for them in the whole series despite all the shit they just went through.
Jul 4, 2023 11:08 PM
Mar 2022
Launches said:
ShogunofSorrow12 said:

The scene we see at the end is the most hopeful for them in the whole series despite all the shit they just went through.

You mean with Asuka stroking Shinji’s face?

I suppose that’s a start of something.
Jul 15, 2023 6:59 PM

Jul 2016
If you don’t like AsukaxShinji, that’s fine, but AsukaxKaji and MisatoxShinji is just disgusting.
Asuka and Shinji do have a toxic dynamic, but that’s because of the awful lives they had and the things they are put through.
In the end they are the only ones that will truly understand the trauma eachother went through.
Aug 8, 2023 6:50 PM
Apr 2023
cosmicoisreal said:
what sane person ships this lol, you're talking about people that are just weird

most people who watch the show do? i don’t understand why people think it’s so taboo and horrible lmao
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

Jul 2014
Exactly. They bring out the worst in one another, and that's part of the film's point.
Take care of yourself

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

21 by fizzydrinkk »»
Apr 24, 9:32 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Zerachroma - Jun 13, 2008

533 by rengoku09_ »»
Apr 1, 5:57 AM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What did Shinji Do?

PachtDD - Dec 17, 2022

20 by Power_Duck12 »»
Nov 1, 2023 9:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.