Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 19, 2022 9:03 AM
Jun 2022
There’s like no romance, the first season is good but they ruin it with the second season
Aug 19, 2022 4:54 PM

Jan 2019
Samto said:
There’s like no romance, the first season is good but they ruin it with the second season

Second season is miles better than first, it is can't even be compared.

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Aug 19, 2022 4:58 PM

Jan 2019
adityasingh2705 said:
I am Looking for some great story with noice animation and if it has a bit of romance.....
is it worth watching?
can recommend something diff too
thanks

Best anime of all time.
Best light novel of all time.
One of most popular series of this decade
Has 1.9M members on MAL

And you ask is it worth watching?

No. Watch Boruto the Next Generation.

Aug 19, 2022 5:46 PM
Feb 2021
TrasterMan said:
Did you ever watch Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise? well, Re:Zero is practically that with fantasy instead of sci-fi.

and here I thought it was based off of All You Need Is Kill. Dang what was thinking.
Aug 20, 2022 12:53 AM
Feb 2021
adityasingh2705 said:
I am Looking for some great story with noice animation and if it has a bit of romance.....
is it worth watching?
thanks

It’s definitely a must watch, probably the best isekai there is. Has comedy, serious moments, romance, everything you could want
Aug 20, 2022 12:57 AM

May 2021
>Great story
>Nice animation

None of these are here so yeah, up to you.

Aug 20, 2022 3:19 AM
Apr 2022
Absolutely worth watching. I loved every minute of it
Aug 20, 2022 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
I gave Re: Zero a 7/10 because I found mc and Emilia especially to be annoying. Also the second season with the sanctuary arc was extremely boring. I loved the concept of it though (mc’s power) because it was creative, and I’d watch the whole thing again just to be able to make Rem and Ram references. Hope that helps!
Aug 20, 2022 10:59 AM
May 2021
i don't think so. i mean rem is a very interesting character but mist of them are boring asf don't watch it
Aug 20, 2022 1:45 PM
Feb 2016
No. It's just another isekai with a shit mc.
Aug 21, 2022 11:00 PM
Aug 2022
it’s really solid give it a shot
Aug 23, 2022 8:08 AM

Jul 2016
Many people love it and some hate it. Your chances to like it are generally high.

If you want to increase your chances, read the following paragraphs. If not, you can just try a few episodes and drop it if you don't like what you're watching.

So, try keep in mind that each character evolves throughout the story and that there's a reason for *everything* they do and everything that happens to them. Certain details of the original novels couldn't be translated into the anime format and that includes the numerous thoughts the characters have and various descriptions. If you find yourself confused or find something hard to understand, just ask the community and you'll get plenty of answers.

Subaru can be a crybaby at times, but you've got to remember that he never truly knows if his power has limited uses. Additionnally, everytime people die in front of him it's a terrible failure in his eyes and it is traumatic for him to see people he love (he loves - not romantically - just about everyone he meets, which is important to know) die like that. It's also very hard for him to see everyone forgetting what happened in previous loops, including the relationship they had built.

Emilia is mostly useless, she's also quite naive and is very self conscious. Both of these are important to her character, very much so, and it won't stop Subaru from loving her for initially saving him and basically remaining him light at the end of the tunnel and, finally, for being constantly compassionate and earnest. Emilia's got many issues that made her who she is and she will slowly and gradually grow as a character and person during the series.

The story is said to be all about "a boy without self confidence letting his feelings known to a girl without self confidence." However, Re:Zero is a more ambitious series than that quote lets believe and we (the fans) guess it will span accross about 7 to 9 seasons, according to the author's plan to make 11 arcs. Don't expect major plot points to be entirely explored soon. Characters will also take their time developing in most cases.

Some people go and watch Re:Zero waiting to be entertained and think it is very boring as they miss most of the show doing that. However it is very *not* boring (for a great majority of people) if you take the time to think about the characters and their state of mind throughout the episodes, as well as try to find the smaller - sometimes hidden - details spread about in may scenes.
Aug 24, 2022 9:34 AM
Jun 2022
Okeanix said:
Samto said:

It’s literally Subaru making bad decisions the whole time then complaining that he’s having a hard time, all just because he’s simping for the white haired girl. I wouldn’t have dropped it if they weren’t stuck in that one zone for so dang long, especially when Subaru could easily just get them out
Aug 24, 2022 10:14 AM

Jan 2019
Samto said:
Okeanix said:

It’s literally Subaru making bad decisions the whole time then complaining that he’s having a hard time, all just because he’s simping for the white haired girl. I wouldn’t have dropped it if they weren’t stuck in that one zone for so dang long, especially when Subaru could easily just get them out

You described Season 1 but you like Season 1 more ironically.

Season 2 challenge is 10x harder than the first. There is five or more problems Subaru to handle once and antagonist knows he can loop. Dafuq?= Also he has less deaths than Season 1 aswell.

Just because you bored doesn't mean it is worse, you just didn't paid attention, didn't care therefore there is no way to entertain you rather than some action every second.
OkeanixAug 24, 2022 10:18 AM

Nov 24, 2022 6:47 PM
Feb 2022
no. absolutely do not
Nov 27, 2022 4:20 AM

Jul 2016
ghost_swan said:
no. absolutely do not
You're a few months late buddy.

... Anyway, what did you dislike?
Nov 28, 2022 1:53 AM
Aug 2022
QcDiablo said:
ghost_swan said:
no. absolutely do not

I'll answer on his behalf

Literally everything in s2 is inferior to s1. The pacing is hands down the worst in seasonal anime I've seen in recent times, there was no need to drag sanctuary for 24eps and introducing many char with no season 3 in near future. The entire kid emilia backstory was boring and that picnic ep of emilia's mother and some other guy proves my pacing issue

Even the antagonist are underwhelming, that headtilting guy in s1 had promising start only to killed by some dragon ball attack and I've literally forgotten how they dealt with rabbits.

Now you could say if I pay attention and wait for future season, everything will be explained, but here's the thing, the show has God awful airing schedule.

S1 aired in 2016 but they took 4 yrs for s2, now this is understandable cause studio didnt expect it to be popular like aot but where is s3?

Let's say s3 comes in 2024 but by now many casual viewers would have forgotten the story, heck I dont even remember half of the main cast anymore.

For hardcore fans like you this might not be issue but for casual viewers like me will the drop the show
Nov 29, 2022 11:52 AM

Jul 2016
Badguy_oncel said:
I'll answer on his behalf

Literally everything in s2 is inferior to s1. The pacing is hands down the worst in seasonal anime I've seen in recent times, there was no need to drag sanctuary for 24eps and introducing many char with no season 3 in near future. The entire kid emilia backstory was boring and that picnic ep of emilia's mother and some other guy proves my pacing issue

Even the antagonist are underwhelming, that headtilting guy in s1 had promising start only to killed by some dragon ball attack and I've literally forgotten how they dealt with rabbits.

Now you could say if I pay attention and wait for future season, everything will be explained, but here's the thing, the show has God awful airing schedule.

S1 aired in 2016 but they took 4 yrs for s2, now this is understandable cause studio didnt expect it to be popular like aot but where is s3?

Let's say s3 comes in 2024 but by now many casual viewers would have forgotten the story, heck I dont even remember half of the main cast anymore.

For hardcore fans like you this might not be issue but for casual viewers like me will the drop the show
You seem to be basing your hate a lot on the release schedule. It's rarely something I take into account so I don't have much to say about that. It happened that I dropped a manga because monthly I have a hard time with monthly chapter releases but that never affected my ratings (I usually don't rate series that I drop). Sadly Re:Zero's anime adaptation indeed has a terrible release schedule, but that isn't really because of the studio, but instead of the producer (Kadokawa in this case). It seems like Kadokawa is seriously sleeping on the series because season 2 was their most profitable anime series by a large margin for a while. I don't think it's fair to critisize the introduction of very important new characters on the absence of following seasons. If they cut any of these characters the story wouldn't make sense at all.

"Literally everything in s2 is inferior to s1."
And I strongly disagree. Animation is about all that is objectively worse in season 2. I'm currently in the process of rewatching season 2, this time with a friend who really disliked the show previously, and we're both having a blast. The characters get a ton of development and the dialogues show the nuances of each and give many clues on what happens in the background. Emilia's background develops the world of the series with the introduction of Pandora and a bigger hierarchy amongst the Witch Cult, introduces the Witch Factors more concretely and hints at very important events of the lore, shows Petelgeuse when he was still sane, shows Emilia's trauma, sets up one of the main antagonists and explains many things that happened prior to the events of season 2, including how Emilia acted throughout season 1 and of course Petelgeuse, amongst other things.
The "picnic episode" you speak about is a 11-minute sequence that shows an alternative present that is completely different, introduces us to the elves' culture, shows a "What If" of Emilia's foster family (including Petelgeuse which is interesting) and where Emilia could have been happy for good, expresses Emilia's regrets and her will to move forward and help the people who she's close to in the reality (Subaru and the rest of the Emilia camp), develops the relationship between her and Echidna and reveals that Emilia had never seen herself in a mirror since she unfroze.

You can't just say the pacing is bad (implied too slow), say some of the most important scenes were just boring, somehow miss most of the details that makes the show as a whole interesting and say the season is """literally""" inferior to season 1 in every way and expect to be taken seriously. Season 1 is grealy enhanced by the revelations and devemopments shown in season 2, and I wouldn't have considered Re:Zero my favorite series if it was for Arc 4 (WN; season 2 content).
Dec 8, 2022 9:41 AM
Feb 2022
QcDiablo said:
ghost_swan said:
no. absolutely do not

LOL true

i went into this show not knowing anything about it and wanting so badly to like it based off of the really good ratings so i was honestly a bit bummed out

i found subaru to be one of the most, if not the most infuriating MC’s that i’ve ever seen. even past the point where he begins to grow as a character, i felt like he was very two dimensional and everything revolved around him in a way that completely undermined every other character in the show. the focus on subaru made all other characters feel like secondary side characters. his relationship to emilia especially felt so shallow and forced that i could barely sympathize with his primary motive for all of season 1 and almost ripped my hair out everytime he exploded on a character that was doing the bulk of the work plot wise (emilia, rem, etc).

another main issue i had was (what felt to me) like the complete lack of complexity in the lore. i spent the entirety of season 1 wondering why subaru hadn’t for a second wondered how he got there, or made any sort of reference to the life he had been living up until this point. i know they ***MINOR SPOILER*** spend 1 episode in season 2 talking about subarus life before this, but at that point it felt so out of the blue because we hadn’t heard anything about it for the first 25+ episodes. i don’t feel like there’s been any real focus on the why’s or how’s of his ‘power’, most specifically why events change in the way that they do. these things just made me feel uninterested in the world itself, along with the characters that i craved so much more from.

at the end of the day, the show is probably just not for me, i probably fucked myself over by watching this so soon after inuyasha, where i felt they at the very least addressed early on/continue to mention how she got there, why she got there, and that she’s had a life up until this point, or steins;gate, where the why’s and how’s play such a crucial role in the plot and are really fleshed out and made clear at various points throughout the show
Dec 24, 2022 12:42 AM

Nov 2022
I did not watch it and do not want to.

This subforum is full of insane Emilia fans.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1754624&show=50

You do not want to watch what all these crazy people enjoy so much.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Dec 24, 2022 10:17 PM

Jul 2016
ghost_swan said:
LOL true

i went into this show not knowing anything about it and wanting so badly to like it based off of the really good ratings so i was honestly a bit bummed out

i found subaru to be one of the most, if not the most infuriating MC’s that i’ve ever seen. even past the point where he begins to grow as a character, i felt like he was very two dimensional and everything revolved around him in a way that completely undermined every other character in the show. the focus on subaru made all other characters feel like secondary side characters. his relationship to emilia especially felt so shallow and forced that i could barely sympathize with his primary motive for all of season 1 and almost ripped my hair out everytime he exploded on a character that was doing the bulk of the work plot wise (emilia, rem, etc).

another main issue i had was (what felt to me) like the complete lack of complexity in the lore. i spent the entirety of season 1 wondering why subaru hadn’t for a second wondered how he got there, or made any sort of reference to the life he had been living up until this point. i know they ***MINOR SPOILER*** spend 1 episode in season 2 talking about subarus life before this, but at that point it felt so out of the blue because we hadn’t heard anything about it for the first 25+ episodes. i don’t feel like there’s been any real focus on the why’s or how’s of his ‘power’, most specifically why events change in the way that they do. these things just made me feel uninterested in the world itself, along with the characters that i craved so much more from.

at the end of the day, the show is probably just not for me, i probably fucked myself over by watching this so soon after inuyasha, where i felt they at the very least addressed early on/continue to mention how she got there, why she got there, and that she’s had a life up until this point, or steins;gate, where the why’s and how’s play such a crucial role in the plot and are really fleshed out and made clear at various points throughout the show

Took me a while to write down a proper reply to this post, I've been busy with university and (re)watched Steins;Gate since. Please note that I'm just writing this on Christmas Eve before going to sleep, I didn't reread and polish up this message like a maniac for weeks.
Anyway, I don't know just how much you've watched of the series, so I'll assume you haven't watched most of season 2, for the sake of simplicity.

First, about Subaru. You probably know this, but he's meant to be flawed. These flaws include his weakness, his laziness, his cowardice, etc. Subaru hates himself, because of these flaws and because he failed to save the people he loves n amount of times. He has a tendency to get overly attached easily, and it's notably why he couldn't hate Rem and Ram during the second arc, and why he started to help Emilia to begin with. It's also why he gets so torn down everytime he seems everyone around him being killed. It's a very heavy failure for him and the explanation behind that reasoning of his is season 2 spoiler territory. Re:Zero fans like Subaru because he's not two dimensional, so this is a strange criticism for me. The love he feels for Emilia and Rem and the rest of the Emilia camp, the fear he has of dying and RbD having a limit, the self hatred he feels when he fails a loop, the joy he feels when he's around his friends, the mask he puts on when he tries to hide his distress, the respect he gains for Emilia in the first few arcs, the loneliness that RbD forces him into, his goal to reach an actual happy ending, the pressure he puts on himself due to his past, etc. These feelings are all so vivid to me that I fail to see how he could be considered two-dimensional, quite the contrary in fact. 

"everything revolved around him in a way that completely undermined every other character in the show" I really can't understand this one and won't be able to reply to it.

"his relationship to emilia especially felt so shallow and forced" There's more to their relationship than just Subaru falling head over heels for her just for her looks (that seems to be what you implied). While Subaru finds Emilia extremely attractive, what made in fall in love with her was how she lacked self confidence just like he does despite how selfless she acts throughout the series. She hates herself and thinks it might have been better if she was never born if her mere existence is to cause misfortune upon others. When Emilia saves Subaurf or the first time, he notices just how much she risked just to help others. She literally let a thief get away with her insignia just to help Subaru and did it again to help a lost child. In the following loops when he starts to doubt about Emilia a little (when he realized she lied by telling her name was Satella) he then notices that she still helped the child in every loop (because she has the red flower with her everytime) and this solidifed his feelings about her. For Emilia, Subaru is the first person ever to just overlook her resemblance to the Witch, her race and even calls her beautiful, which is not something she ever hears. Then, she experiences first hand just how much effort Subaru puts in everything he does and can't but wonder why he does so much for her. All that has a ton of value in her eyes. This entire paragraph is just a quick summary of their relationship and their feelings in the first three episodes.

Second, about the lore "complexity". I think most of what you think missed goes in a few categories. Specifically, Re:Zero is a very long series, it has a unique structure, the "lore complexity" is present in many other ways that you didn't mention and you seem to have mixed Subaru's thought process with the world building. The story is planned to span across 11 arcs which probably corresponds to a total of 9 seasons, without counting side stories. The author also has a very precise plan in mind and it is confirmed that many important reveals will be made much later in the story. He you want to know why Subaru did not wonder why he got there, it's because he couldn't find out why he got there. You said he didn't make any reference to his life in Japan but I don't think it was a necessity to bring it up explicitely this early. His actions were motivated by his past in Japan ever since he arrived in Lugnica, and you could argue these actions implied what Subaru lived in Japan. 

I don't see how RbD could have been a bigger focus. Subaru could have wondered all he want about it and he wouldn't have gained anything. "most specifically why events change in the way that they do" Re:Zero isn't Steins;Gate. Let me repeat, it ISN'T Steins;Gate. Re:Zero isn't an actual time travel series. There are no time lines here, or world lines, and no butterfly effect that will drastically change a country should a character not eat their loaf of bread up to its last crumb. Instead of that, we know that Subaru can't speak of his power, we know how it affect's Subaru's mental and how the Witch's Miasma grows stronger on Subaru at each subsequent reset. It is heavily implied the Witch gave that power to Subaru. Season 2 explains more of this power and the "why" he got that power is purposely kept secret, probably until the last few arcs of the series. The power of Return by Death has been properly built upon, but it is NOT Steins;Gate. It's different, not necessarily worse or especially shallow.

If you want to know about the "world" more. We have the Witch of Envy, the other witches she devoured, the other half of the world she devoured, the demi human war, the active racism in Lugnica, "Flugel is from Earth", Od Laguna, the blessings, the authorities, etc. etc. etc. All stuff from season 1 that you probably missed most of. Many of these are ongoing mysteries but it doesn't mean they are shallow or uninteresting. We just didn't get all the answers yet.

I do think that you might be able to enjoy Re:Zero, but you probably just approached it with the wrong expectations. I can't say for Inuyasha, but it is very not Steins;Gate, and for the similarities that they do share, I personally prefer Re:Zero's ways.
Dec 25, 2022 1:28 AM
Jul 2018
definitely worth watching it has all of what you want but you should be patient with the story some people may find it a bit slow especially part 1 of season 2 but for me the pacing is amazing
Feb 1, 2023 2:36 AM

Aug 2017
adityasingh2705 said:
is it worth watching?
thanks

I didn't like it myself. Weak romance here. Mostly metaphysical action.
Mar 9, 2023 10:35 AM

Jul 2009
Episode 5 completed just recently and it's nearly impossible to watch. The writing is terrible and all characters seem to be objects rather than people in this world.

I've just dropped Overlord because the same sexual undertones stuff is also just cringe.
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ²γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³γ€€
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€Cursorγ€€Natureγ€€reserveγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦‹γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦©γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ•γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ²γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ§γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
Jul 3, 2023 4:04 AM
Jul 2021
Meh it isn't that great, yeah maybe if you don't have too much stuff to do/watch.

It isn't a pile of Dog sh!t like the Monogatari series or Made in Abyss. It's just hovering above mediocre, episode 7 was such a hard watch. Subaru is just too stupid for his own good.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🀣🀣🀣
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

34 by Okeanix »»
Apr 27, 4:32 PM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.