Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 30, 2022 9:42 AM

Apr 2022
In 2011 Puella Magi Madoka Magica was in the top 10 anime of myanimelist. Now the anime is ranked #186 and the movie is ranked #130. I really like this anime, I would like to know what is your opinion about this gap between the year it was released and now, in 2022.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Jul 30, 2022 9:45 AM

Jul 2022
Recency bias........
Jul 30, 2022 9:56 AM
Jan 2020
It's a great show but there are some I would consider better. Still way too low imo and should be top 50 at least. Maybe movie 4 will be good and will reawaken ratings when it comes out.
As Long as the Sun, the moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be alright.
Jul 30, 2022 10:03 AM

Aug 2020
The audience changed, trends changed, more shows have come out, better shows have come out, increase in audience leading to recency bias, etc.
Keep scrolling
Jul 30, 2022 10:10 AM

Jul 2015
All scores fall over time, not only here.
Sometimes mods even purge bot accounts or updating how scores are being counted.

Jul 30, 2022 10:13 AM

Dec 2018
Madoka Magica has been mainstream for a number of years now that it’s hard to go in blind. It’s a series that benefits immensely if the watcher goes in thinking that it’s just a normal magical girl anime, or at least a normal magical anime before Madoka, and well that’s pretty much impossible nowadays.
Jul 30, 2022 10:26 AM
Jan 2021
I think Magica series is good all around, I don’t really care about scores, it’s still widely regarded as one of the best anime around socially.

Also, many people didn’t like the direction of the movie, opting for a happier route. But I personally really liked everything, I still think the spin-off does a lot of things better than the OG, but scores are scores.

Even classics like NGE and Cowboy Bebop have relatively low scores comparatively to modern scores, so it doesn’t really matter because scores don’t dictate quality a lot of the time.
official_brownJul 30, 2022 10:30 AM
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jul 30, 2022 10:36 AM
Dec 2020
official_brown said:
I think Magica series is good all around, I don’t really care about scores, it’s still widely regarded as one of the best anime around socially.

Also, many people didn’t like the direction of the movie, opting for a happier route. But I personally really liked everything, I still think the spin-off does a lot of things better than the OG, but scores are scores.

Even classics like NGE and Cowboy Bebop have relatively low scores comparatively to modern scores, so it doesn’t really matter because scores don’t dictate quality a lot of the time.

mf said cowboy bebop has a low score
Jul 30, 2022 10:39 AM
Jan 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
official_brown said:

It’s actually a lot higher than a thought, but still, it’s widely regarded as a classic and one of the best anime, but it’s still a lot lower than many anime that don’t deserve the score it’s gotten.

Even NGE’s score is basically the same as MDUD, which is sad. But my point still stands that scores don’t matter.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jul 30, 2022 10:52 AM
Dec 2020
official_brown said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:

It’s actually a lot higher than a thought, but still, it’s widely regarded as a classic and one of the best anime, but it’s still a lot lower than many anime that don’t deserve the score it’s gotten.

Even NGE’s score is basically the same as MDUD, which is sad. But my point still stands that scores don’t matter.
i mean i hate those animes so idrc
Jul 30, 2022 10:54 AM
Jan 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
official_brown said:

Cool (character limits are annoying)
Jul 30, 2022 10:55 AM
Dec 2020
official_brown said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:

i think those anime you were talking about were extremely overrated ngl
Jul 30, 2022 11:14 AM
Apr 2022
A lot of anime have come out since then. It is inevitable more popular anime would be released that overshadow Madoka Magica. The thing is that Madoka Magica is an amazing story but it is pretty short. Compared to more popular anime that usually have 20+ episodes, Madoka Magica really only has 12 episodes and a movie. Still, I think it being under top 200 anime is pretty good considering it is a Shoujo/Dark Fantasy type show.
Jul 30, 2022 11:18 AM

Apr 2022
thunderkitten667 said:
A lot of anime have come out since then. It is inevitable more popular anime would be released that overshadow Madoka Magica. The thing is that Madoka Magica is an amazing story but it is pretty short. Compared to more popular anime that usually have 20+ episodes, Madoka Magica really only has 12 episodes and a movie. Still, I think it being under top 200 anime is pretty good considering it is a Shoujo/Dark Fantasy type show.

I don't understand what shoujou or dark fantasy has to do with ranking (sorry I'm new to myanimelist) but I agree that the show is extremly short and that it
could be one of the reason it is being overshadowed by new shows.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Jul 30, 2022 11:36 AM
Apr 2022
Usapz said:
thunderkitten667 said:
A lot of anime have come out since then. It is inevitable more popular anime would be released that overshadow Madoka Magica. The thing is that Madoka Magica is an amazing story but it is pretty short. Compared to more popular anime that usually have 20 episodes, Madoka Magica really only has 12 episodes and a movie. Still, I think it being under top 200 anime is pretty good considering it is a Shoujo/Dark Fantasy type show.

I don't understand what shoujou or dark fantasy has to do with ranking (sorry I'm new to myanimelist) but I agree that the show is extremly short and that it

Basically Shoujo focuses on girls and their relationships/drama. These range from slice of life to yuri. Dark fantasy anime usually have extremely heavy themes including depression, death, and unrequited love. These shows typically ends with a sad/melancholic ending. Madoka Magica is an outlier because it is a slice of life/Shoujo/dark fantasy show, placing innocent looking characters in life and death situations. A lot of people like MM because it is cute but really dark and depressing. Back when it came out it was praised for its innovation, but a lot of things have come out since then that have become new worldwide trends like heroes and demon slaying. I consider MM a popular show but it was before Netflix made anime accessible to the masses, so it never was as popular when compared to shows currently trending like My Hero Academia or Jujutsu Kaisen, which is also a dark show but has much more action.
thunderkitten13Jul 31, 2022 8:57 AM
Jul 30, 2022 12:05 PM
Jan 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
official_brown said:

i think those anime you were talking about were extremely overrated ngl

That’s nice my guy, it is what it is
Jul 30, 2022 12:56 PM

Apr 2022

thunderkitten667 said:
Usapz said:

Basically Shoujo focuses on girls and their relationships/drama. These range from slice of life to yuri. Dark fantasy anime usually have extremely heavy themes including depression, death, and unrequited love. These shows typically ends with a sad/melancholic ending. Madoka Magica is an outlier because it is a slice of life/Shoujo/dark fantasy show, placing innocent looking characters in life and death situations. A lot of people like MM because it is cute but really dark and depressing. Back when it came out it was praised for its innovation, but a lot of things have come out since then have become worldwide trends. I consider MM a popular show but it was before Netflix that made anime accessible to the masses, so it never was popular compared to shows currently trexnding like My Hero Academia or Jujutsu Kaisen, which is also a dark show but has much more action.
T

Thank! I understand now
Jul 30, 2022 2:14 PM
Jul 2022
Probably has to due with Magia Record's low score and bad reception.
Jul 30, 2022 2:33 PM

Jun 2014
Basically just don't worry about it, OP. Times change, trends change. Ultimately, who cares about its ranking - it's not like MAL ratings are law. If it's good, it's good, regardless of what the "less educated" think ;)

thunderkitten667 said:
Basically Shoujo focuses on girls and their relationships/drama. These range from slice of life to yuri...

I just wanted to clarify one thing. The "genres" of Shoujo/Shounen/Josei/Seinen refer to the target demographics - which equate to young girls, young boys, young adult women, and young adult men respectively. Remember that those are about who's the intended audience.

So while I would agree that girls, relationships, drama, and magical girls would be common themes under Shoujo, I wouldn't say SoL (slice of life) or yuri to be strongly associated with shoujo, especially yuri. Not saying it's impossible to have shoujo + yuri, but can't imagine that being mainstream in the Shoujo genre (note: shoujo-ai does not belong to the shoujo genre).

           but you can become stronger...

...でもつよくなれるよ                     

Jul 30, 2022 3:42 PM
Aug 2020
MAL is more on to recency bias when it comes to rating
Jul 30, 2022 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
BobertkcussineP said:
The audience changed, trends changed, more shows have come out, better shows have come out, increase in audience leading to recency bias, etc.

I think this best sums it up. I'd just add on that opinions can also change over time.
Jul 30, 2022 6:13 PM
Jul 2022
Bruh this show was amazing, I don't know why people don't recognize it for that anymore
Jul 30, 2022 7:50 PM

May 2021
The newbies dont actually watch the old stuff,and many fail to understand their brilliance.Madoka magica is an amazing deconstruction.
Jul 30, 2022 9:22 PM
Jan 2021
Not sure but I didn't like it.
Jul 30, 2022 11:29 PM
Apr 2021
I am not going to lie the only reason why. Madoka is number 10 for me is because it was my first anime. That I known it was anime, if I was to give it a legit rating it would be 6/7 I guess.
Jul 30, 2022 11:36 PM
Apr 2022
its like top 200 !!!
Jul 31, 2022 2:45 AM
Mar 2022
It's very old, and more famous and "normie" animes (mostly nekketsus) has been add to the list. And thus with much more animes with much bigger fandom, PMMM couldn't keep up.
Jul 31, 2022 8:55 AM
Apr 2022
iunne said:
Basically just don't worry about it, OP. Times change, trends change. Ultimately, who cares about its ranking - it's not like MAL ratings are law. If it's good, it's good, regardless of what the "less educated" think ;)

thunderkitten667 said:
Basically Shoujo focuses on girls and their relationships/drama. These range from slice of life to yuri...

I just wanted to clarify one thing. The "genres" of Shoujo/Shounen/Josei/Seinen refer to the target demographics - which equate to young girls, young boys, young adult women, and young adult men respectively. Remember that those are about who's the intended audience.

So while I would agree that girls, relationships, drama, and magical girls would be common themes under Shoujo, I wouldn't say SoL (slice of life) or yuri to be strongly associated with shoujo, especially yuri. Not saying it's impossible to have shoujo + yuri, but can't imagine that being mainstream in the Shoujo genre (note: shoujo-ai does not belong to the shoujo genre).

That is good clarification. I do disagree that yuri is not meant for Shoujo demographic, though. I understand some yuri is just meant to be centered towards a male audience like Valkyrie drive, but some other yuri like Citrus play out like traditional romance dramas that seem to be targeted at same-sex female romantic relationships. Nontheless, I appreciate your insight.
Aug 5, 2022 10:08 PM

May 2021
After the initial hype the show got, more realistic appreciation came to the show, so the decay you see it's the natural decay of a show that was overrated at his start.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.