Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 11, 2022 3:37 PM

Dec 2016
So I wanted to get into the Love Live franchise for quite a while now, but I don't have a single clue where I should start. It seems more confusing to get into than the Fate franchise to be honest. So, what is the best show to start with, and what should I watch after that, are there some I would be better off skipping entirely?
Also, do any of these shows interact with one another or is every Love Live show separated from one another?
Jun 11, 2022 3:54 PM

Oct 2019
1. Love Live! School Idol Project
+ OVA (Love Live! School Idol Project OVA)
2. Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
+ Love Live! The School Idol Movie

3. Love Live! Sunshine!!
4. Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season
+ Love Live! Sunshine!! The School Idol Movie: Over the Rainbow

5. Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club
6. Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club 2nd Season

7. Love Live! Superstar!!
8. Love Live! Superstar!! 2nd Season (TBA)

This should be the correct watch order, there also are a crab ton of recaps though, long 3 or 30 minutes each, and manner movies etc etc.

You can skip the entries marked by the + since they're not plotwise (I personally didn't enjoy the movies at all).

Almost every "part" of Love Live! is divided in 2 seasons. Every part has a separate story so you can watch them separately, but they all follow a chronological order (iirc, spare me some errors, I didn't even finish the show lol).

I hope this helps :)
stxyniteJun 11, 2022 4:02 PM
Jun 11, 2022 3:56 PM
Feb 2022
Love Live Superstar 2nd is coming this summer and Nijigasaki 2nd is currently airing
Jun 11, 2022 4:19 PM

Aug 2016
Sunshine has a few references to the original series early on but I’m pretty sure everything else is standalone. And I found Nijigasaki very boring tbh, but it’s up to you.
Jun 11, 2022 4:34 PM
Jun 2021
Deku251 said:
So I wanted to get into the Love Live franchise for quite a while now, but I don't have a single clue where I should start. It seems more confusing to get into than the Fate franchise to be honest. So, what is the best show to start with, and what should I watch after that, are there some I would be better off skipping entirely?
Also, do any of these shows interact with one another or is every Love Live show separated from one another?

You watch in this order
1. School Idol Project S1
2. School Idol Project OVA (optional)
3. School Idol Project S2
4. School Idol Project Movie
5. Sunshine S1
6. Sunshine S2
7. Sunshine Movie
8. Nijigasaki S1
9. Nijigasaki S2
10. Superstar S1
11. Superstar S2 (Starts airing July 2022)

SIP and Sunshine have no connection to Nijigasaki or Superstar so you could watch those whenever you want but I highly recommend that you watch the entirety of SIP before you watch Sunshine since it's a sequel series to SIP
Jun 11, 2022 5:40 PM
Aug 2019
stxynite said:

3. Love Live! Sunshine!!

This should be the correct watch order, there also are a crab ton of recaps though, long 3 or 30 minutes each, and manner movies etc etc.

You can skip the entries marked by the + since they're not plotwise (I personally didn't enjoy the movies at all).

Almost every "part" of Love Live! is divided in 2 seasons. Every part has a separate story so you can watch them separately, but they all follow a chronological order (iirc, spare me some errors, I didn't even finish the show lol).

I don't think there's anything wrong with disliking the movies but they aren't skippable for sure. It's fine if you don't like them but they are super plot relevant and they give a conclusion and resolution to the story of both idol groups.

I do agree the SIP OVA is totally skippable (in fact, Id only recommend watching it if you REALLY like LL and want as much content as possible).
Jun 11, 2022 10:17 PM

Oct 2014
Since everyone has already answered Your question, I would like to add my experience with the LL franchise.
I really like LLSIP and Sunshine, Superstar was meh and I would say skip Nijigasaki, really boring and pointless IMO but give it a try because you never know if you might like something someone else don't.
It's Morbin' Time!
Jun 11, 2022 10:29 PM

Jun 2014
I would start with SIP (School Idol Project). If you really hate SIP, Sunshine pretty much has the exact same feel, so you can safely skip that imo. Nijigaku and Superstar are different than the first two schools in their own ways. Nijigaku... has pretty bad writing but the premise is the most different (solo idols rather than one group). Superstar is refreshingly realistic (relatively-speaking), if you want less "moe" stuff.

Superstar is personally my favorite by far, and Nijigaku my least.
Jun 12, 2022 3:33 AM

Mar 2015
Deku251 said:

the iterations of love live are very much unrelated. just pick anything with the same stuff going on after 'love live' in the title and watch the batch in release order and you are good.

another thing about the iterations, if you have seen one of them, you pretty much have seen all of them. so just watch any one iteration and decide for yourself if that's your thing and you want to keep going
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Jun 12, 2022 11:50 AM

Oct 2019
Kaxew said:
stxynite said:

3. Love Live! Sunshine!!

I don't think there's anything wrong with disliking the movies but they aren't skippable for sure. It's fine if you don't like them but they are super plot relevant and they give a conclusion and resolution to the story of both idol groups.

I do agree the SIP OVA is totally skippable (in fact, Id only recommend watching it if you REALLY like LL and want as much content as possible).
yeah sorry, I misremembered
Jun 13, 2022 10:26 AM
Apr 2021
dont watch it bro...
Jul 22, 2022 7:04 PM

Aug 2020
stxynite said:

3. Love Live! Sunshine!!

I suggest you watch the movies and OVA for a much better experience in getting to know the members/units.

Plus you can also watch the Love Live's PVs and MVs after finishing the series, for example Love Live! School Idol Project Snow Halation, Love Live! School Idol Project Bokura no Live Kimi to no Life, Love Live! Sunshine!! Koi ni Naritai Aquarium, and many more in their Main YouTube channel. Don't be afraid and start exploring, it will be a fun memorable journey for you ! (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿

More topics from this board

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2013

262 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Apr 22, 11:52 AM

» What's the watch order?

Kayroad - Dec 10, 2023

10 by October_Animate »»
Mar 16, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2013

120 by Needster »»
Feb 15, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2013

141 by firstamizade »»
Feb 3, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

bippo - Mar 17, 2013

128 by Foreall908 »»
Jan 7, 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.