Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2022 9:43 AM

Feb 2017
After three long years The Beyond finally finished!
Our crew reclaimed their home island Tatsumiyajima. I was teary eyed when they finally returned to their homes. This sorta feels like the ending of the story, though they left enough room for a sequel if they ever wish to make it. It's an optimistic end and is probably deserved after all the suffering our characters and we as an audience endured since the very beginning of the story.

I can't give the final verdict on Beyond yet. Due to fragmented release of this season I barely recall what happened in the previous batch when a new one comes, let alone what happened in the previous seasons. Because of that my experience suffered. I hope to rewatch the whole series soon and after that I will be able to form an opinion on this season and its ending.

Now we look forward to the Behind the Line happy spin-off.
TsarkoMay 5, 2022 9:48 AM
May 8, 2022 4:10 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
After nearly 18 long years, this series has finally come to a close. I can hardly believe it. Though the story did end off with room for a sequel if they ever decide to go that route. This series ended pretty happily and most of the major ships seemed to have been paired in the end.

The original OP and the original ED (my favorite ED. My favorite OP is hard to decide. They are all amazing) were used well in this episode and brought back a real nostalgic feeling to when I actually could follow what was happening in this series. Those were the good old days. I wish more series had an artist that performed every OP/ED/Insert Song like this series did. Angela really is half the reason I love this series as much as I do. The songs are all fantastic.

While I don't normally like series that don't make any sense and are impossible to follow, this series remains an exception, and I don't have a definitive reason why that is the case here. Perhaps because it knows it's impossible to follow (especially considering the fragmented released and the identical faces), the series is so self aware about that fact, that it has fun going all out with its impossible to follow plotline. Additionally, it isn't trying to appear smarter than it really is with its nonsense, like some other mecha series that I won't name. Rather it's like it's being intentionally nonsensical just for fun, and I like that attitude.

I do think that if I binged the series all at once, I would be able to follow it a lot....or at least a little better. I don't know when I will binge it again, but if the undubbed seasons ever get licensed and dubbed, then I will happily put off everything I am doing to binge it for a proper viewing.

This series was quite the trip, and I was entertained (and confused in a good way) every step of the way. Thank you Fafner!
May 11, 2022 7:50 PM

Nov 2020
Okay... they did WHAT to Altair??? Is that even possible?

I get the feeling that imma have to rewatch the whole series
Jun 4, 2022 2:46 AM

Dec 2012
Maya can see.
Sui is awake.
Legato is revived.
The guy returned to normal.
Seri. Sakuya and Kaguya.
Tatsumiyajima.
Sakuya was born to protect Kaguya.
The next day.

After 17 years, I would have had a long passionate essay to write about my love for Fafner. Instead, the previous episode pissed me off so much and made me uninterested so much that this episode was automatically shit and this episode increased my anger and made it even worse by forever cementing that Kazuki, the series MC we spent a near 15 years with before Beyond, is new Soushi's bitch by ordering him to send OG Soushi's lantern and he can't say shit because he lost to new Soushi. Also, 17 years, and the least they could have done is make Kazuki x Maya happen and they focked it up. That was the 1 thing they couldn't fock up and they focked it up. I watched this episode with not a damn care. They literally played the iconic Separation ending song and the iconic Shangri-la opening from the 1st season and I felt nothing because I was so pissed. If I was happy, I would have been screaming with joy. This episode also proved that they just threw Kazuki's character in the trash. Literally sent him off as he isn't needed at all these years of being the series MC from the start. Never seen an MC get treated like this. The plot didn't force this. They just decided to sideline him for Beyond. I loved this series from episode 1 to 14:17 in the previous episode. This episode and a half was the worst experience I had with this series (I had no complaint prior). I no longer have a reason to rewatch this series in full because there's no reward at the end. I'd just be wasting my time. Fafner ended at Exodus for me and that's where I'd stop watching if I did rewatch the series.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Aug 18, 2022 4:57 PM

Nov 2012
This episode felt like a great send off to these characters, while still leaving some things open to the possibility of a continuation set many years (hopefully like 100s) later...but I just wish they hadn't fumbled so hard last episode with the sort of passing of torch from Kazuki--->Soushi (II) which left me heavily sour. I'm not sure what to make of The Beyond as whole and it's probably something I'll have to revisit a few more time to get a better stance on it.

Thinking further on it, I guess the main thing that irritated me about The beyond is the amount of focus that was place on the two weakest members of the cast that I don't really care about as oppose to anyone else. Miwa was always an annoyance in Exodus honestly, yes I get she has her purpose as a powerful Esperanto and it was necessary for her to communicate with Altair here but I still never liked her as a character. And Soushi (II) is a new character and an annoying one at that. They made him surpass Kazuki who had been the MC for so long in such a half assed feeling way its beyond irritating.
VanishingKiraAug 18, 2022 5:37 PM
Aug 27, 2022 11:41 PM

Jan 2011
Okay...sooo....how do I put this?

I wasn't really surprised that Kazuki would be sidelined in this series. He's already been through so much.
And I'm actually happy with him and Kouyou going off to travel the world together. I never really thought about
Kazuki x Maya happening. It never really mattered to me if it did or didn't happen, since I didn't like her that much.

BUT!!!!

While I didn't mind Kazuki being sidelined, I didn't think it would be like that! I thought he'd be the one to have
the role of teaching Soushi. However, for some reason, that role fell on the other pilots. And what's worse is
Soushi hating Kazuki throughout most of the series. I mean, really??? You've got to be kidding me!! Even until
the end Soushi still doesn't remember that the person who walked with him on the beach when he was little was
Kazuki! Besides this, I didn't really hate the new Soushi that much. But I really missed the other Soushi. :(

And can someone please tell me what the heck did Soushi say to Kazuki at the end???
I mean, we can't read mouths, you know! Or at least, I know I can't.

Then there's Maris...*sighs* I just don't get where he came from. I mean, we should have gotten an
episode that showed his past on the island and the event that led up to his decision to taking Soushi and the
other two children. I know they showed it in bits throughout the series but that just made it so confusing.

And then there was that one scene where someone said Ruby hates Kazuki, but they never mentioned it again
or why she hates him. She didn't have much interaction with Kazuki though and it really didn't seem like she hates him.

Well, in the end, it was an okay ending. I lean more towards bromance than
romance, so my biggest complaint is the ending between Kazuki and Soushi.
And did I mention I really missed the other Soushi. .·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·.

I was thinking 6/10...but I'll go ahead and give it a 7/10, hoping that they'll make a sequel.
(Not like my score will make it happen or anything...^^)
YukiTsubakiAug 28, 2022 2:17 PM
Jun 10, 2023 4:47 PM
Mar 2014
i watched from the very 1st fafner show and it was so consistently boring and lame i really didnt bother paying attention to any of it. that 1 scene where soushi saw that one girl in her underwear was the only thing worth watching in this entire series
Jul 27, 2023 7:10 AM
Sep 2021
Better than the last episode but ep 11 really did completely botch this thing beyond repair. 
Chocolat's ending hurt me deeply.
Jan 19, 11:45 AM

Nov 2009
Okay, grown up Kazuki in a black trenchcoat looks badass and so does his new Fafner. But brat!Soushi somehow asspulling a win against him and that Miwa annoyance stealing both Mark Sein AND the show from him? Not cool! Not cool at all! In fact, nothing can be worse than sidelining your damn protagonist in that manner and using him as a prop to make some secondary boring characters look good. 6/10 for this finish and I'm being generous.

Due to the above and the brats being boring characters whose main defining trait is being annoying immature brats, I can't help feeling a measure of glee at the hinted prospect of both of them being in for some suffering in a love triangle: brat!Soushi seems to have a crush on Maya while Miwa is developing a crush on him and being jealous.

YukiTsubaki said:
And then there was that one scene where someone said Ruby hates Kazuki, but they never mentioned it again or why she hates him. She didn't have much interaction with Kazuki though and it really didn't seem like she hates him.
I'm aware it's been more than a year, but I feel this is something that has to be addressed, for future watchers. It was a mistranslation. In the original the subject of that sentence was "ano ko" which is basically "he/she" depending on context, and in that context the characters were talking about Soushi, that is, the correct interpretation is that he hates Kazuki, not Ruby.
CGJan 19, 11:54 AM
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 20, 3:21 PM

Jan 2011
Reply to CG
Okay, grown up Kazuki in a black trenchcoat looks badass and so does his new Fafner. But brat!Soushi somehow asspulling a win against him and that Miwa annoyance stealing both Mark Sein AND the show from him? Not cool! Not cool at all! In fact, nothing can be worse than sidelining your damn protagonist in that manner and using him as a prop to make some secondary boring characters look good. 6/10 for this finish and I'm being generous.

Due to the above and the brats being boring characters whose main defining trait is being annoying immature brats, I can't help feeling a measure of glee at the hinted prospect of both of them being in for some suffering in a love triangle: brat!Soushi seems to have a crush on Maya while Miwa is developing a crush on him and being jealous.

YukiTsubaki said:
And then there was that one scene where someone said Ruby hates Kazuki, but they never mentioned it again or why she hates him. She didn't have much interaction with Kazuki though and it really didn't seem like she hates him.
I'm aware it's been more than a year, but I feel this is something that has to be addressed, for future watchers. It was a mistranslation. In the original the subject of that sentence was "ano ko" which is basically "he/she" depending on context, and in that context the characters were talking about Soushi, that is, the correct interpretation is that he hates Kazuki, not Ruby.
@CG Whoa! Thanks for clarifying that! I didn't bother rewatching this since it was really disappointing for an ending. Still, that part was really confusing. I'm thinking I should give this a second watch though. Hate that they made Soushi not like Kazuki, but they say watching for the second time clears some things up and makes it less confusing, especially the ending. ^^

More topics from this board

Poll: » Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - The Beyond Part 4 Episode 2 Discussion

Tsarko - May 5, 2022

7 by CG »»
Jan 19, 12:07 PM

Poll: » Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - The Beyond Part 4 Episode 1 Discussion

Tsarko - May 5, 2022

2 by Rob »»
Jun 3, 2022 2:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.