Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 6, 2021 2:47 PM

Oct 2014
I am legitimately curious as to what other readers that are up to date think of the manga currently. I've been following World Trigger since the first season came out and I think it's really some of the best shonen action that Shonen Jump had to offer. The premise has always been very interesting and while not being anything revolutionary I always thought it was extremely fun and a lot of other readers and watchers of the series seemed to think the same.

What is even going on with this manga anymore though? It's just that at the pace the story's been progressing I've started to wonder when we'll actually see that away mission that is so so very important to our characters. Of course, due to the change in the schedule of the serialization from weekly to monthly the pace has been feeling slower but that's really not just it. It's completely understandable that the author has a hard time drawing weekly due to health issues but changing to a monthly schedule should come with adjustments in the way the story is presented for it to not be so slow. It feels like we've been fed chapters upon chapters of rank wars and 73 other random training regimes just for this one expedition that has been in the works for years. Yes, Ashihara does a great job at explaining things but I still believe WT shines through it's battles and worldbuilding.

Just some thoughts I've had in regards to WT for a while now. I'm really interested in seeing what anyone else thinks about this situation.
why
Dec 15, 2021 2:22 AM
May 2017
Magical_Bananana said:
I am legitimately curious as to what other readers that are up to date think of the manga currently. I've been following World Trigger since the first season came out and I think it's really some of the best shonen action that Shonen Jump had to offer. The premise has always been very interesting and while not being anything revolutionary I always thought it was extremely fun and a lot of other readers and watchers of the series seemed to think the same.

What is even going on with this manga anymore though? It's just that at the pace the story's been progressing I've started to wonder when we'll actually see that away mission that is so so very important to our characters. Of course, due to the change in the schedule of the serialization from weekly to monthly the pace has been feeling slower but that's really not just it. It's completely understandable that the author has a hard time drawing weekly due to health issues but changing to a monthly schedule should come with adjustments in the way the story is presented for it to not be so slow. It feels like we've been fed chapters upon chapters of rank wars and 73 other random training regimes just for this one expedition that has been in the works for years. Yes, Ashihara does a great job at explaining things but I still believe WT shines through it's battles and worldbuilding.

Just some thoughts I've had in regards to WT for a while now. I'm really interested in seeing what anyone else thinks about this situation.
Currently the B rank teams have been split and are undergoing testing for the away mission. due to the enviroment being new, the mangaka has to explain in detail the new enviroment theyre in and how it works. after the final round of the rank wars there isnt a lot of chapters to catch up on. i fear there wont be a season 4 for a while
Dec 15, 2021 2:31 AM

Oct 2014
DeitysDynasty said:
Magical_Bananana said:

Currently the B rank teams have been split and are undergoing testing for the away mission. due to the enviroment being new, the mangaka has to explain in detail the new enviroment theyre in and how it works. after the final round of the rank wars there isnt a lot of chapters to catch up on. i fear there wont be a season 4 for a while

Honestly, this current test for the away mission is just boring and useless imho. It could have been completely skipped over. The main reason I made this post was because I used to believe that we'd actually have some developments since the rank wars have finished. And that really really sucks because when things actually happen in World Trigger, they're good.
why
Dec 15, 2021 2:33 AM
May 2017
Magical_Bananana said:
DeitysDynasty said:

Honestly, this current test for the away mission is just boring and useless imho. It could have been completely skipped over. The main reason I made this post was because I used to believe that we'd actually have some developments since the rank wars have finished. And that really really sucks because when things actually happen in World Trigger, they're good.
Its mainly unfortuanate due to the spacing between chapters. If it was weekly there would be less issue with such grindy exposition
Dec 15, 2021 2:34 AM

Oct 2014
DeitysDynasty said:
Magical_Bananana said:

Its mainly unfortuanate due to the spacing between chapters. If it was weekly there would be less issue with such grindy exposition

That's also true, yeah.
why
Dec 15, 2021 2:40 AM
May 2017
Magical_Bananana said:
DeitysDynasty said:

That's also true, yeah.
Im just hoping it gets finished is all. i dont want a berserk situation. theres too much potential to throw away
Dec 15, 2021 9:38 PM
Oct 2015
I personally love the manga.
The ingenuity in it is quite something. Not to mention ideas or concepts that are usually wrapped up relatively quickly in most shounen series get more fleshed out in this series, so I always trust Ashihara will find a way to make them interesting (still warming up to that weird turn-based game thing tho lol)

Not much can be done about pacing honestly, cause Ashihara himself is not capable of weekly releases. Also, it would kinda go against this series' selling point in the first place. It is blueprinted to be a shounen, with a huge world, large cast of characters that need to get equal development and battle mechanics/rules that need to be laid out before being put into practice.
So skipping parts like these I'd argue would be a detriment to the series imo.
Dec 15, 2021 9:46 PM

Dec 2019
Magical_Bananana said:

I think this kind of pacing and introduction is really so meant to build towards the away missions and I think Ashihara doesn't like to cut corners on fleshing out the aspects of the world he has going on and he also uses these types of arcs in order to also familiarize yourself with newer characters in the series which is what the rank wars were all about

I still think its a great manga it just so happens that due to the current pace and arc as well as it being a monthly release it can seem boring currently but I think this is just in general with some series similarly to Vinland Saga which a lot of people weren't really into the newest arc and the current chapters in general

but until I get the full perspective on it I'll reserve opinions but with WT I can confidently say Ashihara is a great model for planning stuff out even if it may go against what typical Shonen Jump manga try to do which is generate excitement right out the gate and keep it going Ashihara doesn't mind taking the long route to get to the interesting and exciting pay offs
Mar 17, 2023 11:57 PM
Apr 2016
We are in 2023 now and nothing's really changed. Dropped.
Mar 18, 2023 1:06 AM

Feb 2017
I haven't read the manga but finished all the anime seasons. I think it's a great battle shounen. Osamu is also realistic and struggles through his own weakness and cowardice to slowly emerge as a leader to be feared by opponents. His character progression has been quite realistic and pretty much no one (except maybe Jin and Konami) is OP. Chika finally gaining the courage to shoot actual bullets to kill was quite the development. I am just hoping for more anime seasons of this without crappy useless stuff like the Xeno arc or more of annoying assholes like Kitora.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Apr 5, 2023 5:08 PM
May 2020
LemonOrigins said:

I feel some reassurance seeing someone else feel this way. I’m only partially through the B rank battles (I’m on chapter ~111) and the manga feels like such a grind. I feel like I’m just waiting and waiting, and nothing is happening… What did you start reading after you dropped World Trigger?
Sep 19, 2023 8:03 AM
Apr 2016
Reply to qzx_hyundai
LemonOrigins said:

I feel some reassurance seeing someone else feel this way. I’m only partially through the B rank battles (I’m on chapter ~111) and the manga feels like such a grind. I feel like I’m just waiting and waiting, and nothing is happening… What did you start reading after you dropped World Trigger?
@qzx_hyundai Just went through my notifications, but thought I should still reply - Did you continue reading this series? When I posted my previous comment I was on chapter ~226 and it was far worse than it was around ~111.

Some series that I currently enjoy: Hirayasumi, Dandadan, Kakegurui, Ao Ashi
Some manga that have finished publishing: Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, ReLIFE

More topics from this board

Poll: » World Trigger Chapter 239 Discussion

MegamiRem - Feb 1

14 by StregAnna77 »»
Mar 26, 8:54 AM

Poll: » World Trigger Chapter 240 Discussion

anime-prime - Mar 3

2 by ReaperCreeper »»
Mar 6, 3:54 PM

» Despair

Magical_Bananana - Feb 1

7 by Magical_Bananana »»
Feb 8, 5:31 AM

Poll: » World Trigger Chapter 238 Discussion

MegamiRem - Nov 3, 2023

5 by StregAnna77 »»
Nov 23, 2023 4:12 AM

Poll: » World Trigger Chapter 237 Discussion

MegamiRem - Oct 3, 2023

3 by ricksed »»
Oct 4, 2023 11:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.