Forum Settings
Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2021 2:52 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, this film was better in some ways than the previous movie, but in some ways worse. It was still a very mixed bag though. While the pacing was still crazy fast, at least the film flowed better. That being said, while the pacing for the first film was worse, the result of the pacing had a bigger effect on this film. Too many things just happen with no explanation and they just expect you to roll with the outcomes. There is barely any time for emotional moments to sink in.

The animation and music were still amazing, but this story didn't fit a film narrative. It could have been so much better. All that said, I am not the target demographic for the series, so perhaps others didn't have the same issue with the the movies that I had.
Jun 4, 2021 10:23 AM
May 2017
The one thing I found the strangest was that the entire arc focused on Mamoru's place as a "sailor guardian" thematically but did not actually give him anything to do. Like I know this is for women and all, but why write something like this for Mamoru if he's going to do basically nothing lmao. At one point Mamoru gets told he's "protected by the Sun," a term Sailor Guardians use to represent their planets. Absolutely nothing comes from any of this. He just becomes another power-up for Usagi. It could've been written out, and nobody would notice.

Like, Helios' place in the plot just seems really weird to me. His connection to Endymion felt so hollow. You could've had the exact same thing but have him be a priest for the Moon instead. Nothing would change.

Other than that this is pretty standard for Sailor Moon's manga adaptation. Lightning-fast pacing. Enemies get defeated more quickly than we have time to care for them. Villains are pretty shallow, etc etc. I know I'm not the target audience. I enjoy Sailor Moon for what it is, but what can I say.
Jun 4, 2021 11:26 AM

Apr 2009
...And his name was Albert Einstein.
Jun 4, 2021 8:04 PM
Aug 2015
This movie was definitely all over the place but damn did I love all those sparkles lol
Jun 5, 2021 12:40 PM

Mar 2014
Definitely this arc is the movie version of Crystal's first season but better. Little timescreen for each sailor scout (but this time they were useful at the final climax and were treated with respect unlike Crystal), generic evil queen (but is gorgeous and I do like the brief introduction about the "darkness been attracted by the light"), sub generals one-shoted (poor animals... not even Eye of the Tiger OST... they looked fabolous at least?), generals who are actually members of the old moon kingdom and Usagi one-shoting the generic evil queen (but now with nakama power... not a bad thing).

The golden crystal was a simple but effective: everything talking so far about the silver crystal this, the silver than and the plot just said: GOLD and everyone lost their mind xD haha well overall is not out of place for me their introduction. It's pretty similar of the queen Nehelenia's existence, she is just the dark counterpart of the queen Serenity (shame that they not gave any nice twist or character development to make her more interesting than just be evil because yes).

I heard a couple negative commentaries about Helios from ppl who watched the anime so I had low expectatives from him but this movie's version of the character is actually good (yeah I just watched all crystal episodes + the first season of the 90s so is my first time watching this arc). Oh boi idk if I have to watch the 90's version to compared both versions...

Overall I liked it. The pace was horrible (like this is for a three movie format instead of two) and there is small unnecesary filler scenes where they repeat the same dialogs (like oh I have this dream, oh me too, u too?, so this is dream is, bla bla bla) that would be used better to improve the pacing. But at least oh boi was not horrible like the first season of Crystal. The animation were good and dub versions were good.

Jun 6, 2021 9:30 PM

Sep 2007
Ahh loved seeing Human Artemis, Luna, and Diana even though they really didn't do anything but be eye candy. (Almost zero to no reaction to them in human form too)....If you look at it another way it's kind of random too but ah well....I wish there was a little more talking to them in human form or something....

I also couldn't help but squeal at the nostalgic -sort of hidden- song at the end of the credits that gives a nod to the original Sailor Moon SuperS series.

Other than that...whole thing felt rushed. But that's what happens when they take a movie approach. A bummer too cuz I recall really liking Helios in the original anime series way more than Mamoru. But the whole Helios x Chibiusa thing was so rushed it was like "ok....somebody just feeling lusty eh...."

And lol at someone earlier commenting how everyone freaked out when they were saying they needed the "GOLDEN" crystal while everything up to this point was all about the "silver crystal" lololol.
Speaking of which....I actually cringed when Usagi triggered Mamoru's crystal from awakening....ugh....not sure why...the delivery of it? idk...

In any case...do really hope they're working on adapting the "old equivalent of Stars" preferably not more movies cuz, again, this seemed rushed...
IkanoJun 6, 2021 9:35 PM
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jun 9, 2021 10:09 PM

Jul 2016
Both movies were incredibly rushed, but oh well, I still liked it.
I loved them all wearing their royal outfits (it's usual for Usagi and Mamoru, but not the others) and Luna, Artemis and Diana in human form.
Also the sailor forms of Palla, Vesta, Juno and Ceres, which I think wasn't in the 90s anime.
Jun 11, 2021 12:20 PM
Jul 2019
I don't care what anyone says, as a manga fan i really loved the movies. Except the childish art style which was a huge mistake since from the beginning, everything was faithful to the manga. The only thing that made me seriously sad is how they cut off the Shitennou scene :( It was pretty important for those four's characters and definitely should have been in the movies.

And for everyone that says the story pacing -especially the last fight- was so fast, actually it's because Dream is more like a preparation arc for Stars, where the actual war begins. Dark Kingdom is introduction, while Black Moon and Infinity Arcs are development for the story, Dream overall covers more of characters' feelings and personal lifes, future of Chibi-usa -since we don't have a future arc- and reunition of all characters. Since it's said that Eternal Sailor Moon has the same powers as queens it was normal for her to defeat Nehellenia quickly. The actual fight is starting after here because eveyone reached their final forms.

Now that, let's hope they won't disappoint us with Stars Arc. Honestly i want a new, more mature art style because Kazuko Tadano's style definitely doesn't fit Crystal.
Jun 12, 2021 7:29 AM

Apr 2011
This was all over the place, rushed, effects and music could have been even better, especially the transformation music sounded really off compared to the old version. As for the style - s3 had a great style already why change it? :( also the backgrounds felt so empty, I wish they’d have drawn more items/stuff to have something to look at. Idk maybe I need to rewatch.
Jun 30, 2021 8:29 PM

Jan 2008
Terrible movie, like the last. All it did was remind me how much better the 1st anime is compared to the Crystal version. All the characters are shallow and one-note, everyone keeps repeating the same things over and over, the antagonists are 1 dimensional, the action is boring and the story jets around like it's trying to achieve hyper speed. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch the R, S and SuperS movies again.
Jul 4, 2021 5:27 AM

Aug 2008
Just watched the 2 movies. I came in with low expectations so actually I found it enjoyable. Of course you have to read the manga to pretty much see they stuck with the source material VERY closely including the dialogue. If you watched the 90s anime, you pretty much see how much it veered off from he manga. I watched the movies for the princess dresses, human cats, and how Hotaru awakened her outer gaurdian counterparts. Looking forward to the Stars arc since, like the 90s anime, the story veered off there as well.

Coming in as a layman, no it's not a great movie. It's for the fans at the end of the day 😜
Jul 5, 2021 3:24 PM
Nov 2018
First 20 minutes with the outer sailor guardians already much enjoyable than movie 1 lol. The final fight was pretty hype ngl. Didn’t realize the Amazon quartet were sailor guardians. Enjoyed this a lot more than movie 1
Apr 10, 2023 3:00 PM
Oct 2022
Very good wiwth awesome plot twist

More topics from this board

» New Two-Part Movie

tsubasalover - Apr 28, 2022

3 by Amuvlet »»
Apr 28, 2022 2:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.