Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2021 3:36 PM

Oct 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I am well aware that I was clearly not the intended audience for this recap - I mean, I am a huge fan of this show, it has been part of my life for decades now; and needless to say that I know almost everything you have to know on the universe Gosho Aoyama has neatly crafted over the years.
The problem is that - even by accepting this specific mindset - I fail to see how this is supposed to be a decent, and somewhat useful recap.

For starters, the whole compilation movie is extremely cheap: I was not expecting full-on new animations for the selected scenes in this film, but I thought that correcting some of the animation mistakes and off-models from some episodes would have been the bare minimum. Even by 'weekly cartoons' standards, Detective Conan is quite badly animated most of the time, and some episodes are extremely lackluster even in the basic models of the characters. Having the audacity to put all of these scenes together, to not rework them in the slightest, and to call that a day is on an another level entirely. Like, japanese people had to pay to see this, and a movie ticket is up to 20 quids in Japan if I am not mistaken.
I mean if it were made for the telly, I would have understood the poor production values, but no this was broadcast in cinemas across the country. This is shameless to say the least, and the worst thing of all is that it allegedly turned quite a profit.

Speaking of the 'worst thing of all', the aforementioned recap is also quite bad at its job: the whole "selected works" idea fell short, considering how confusing the recap is. As an example of how badly compiled the scenes are, the recap starts off with the Scar Akai thing, before diving into a little summary as to who Akai truly is, then examining briefly the case of Okiya Subaru, then focuses on Sera, then Shuukichi (being Yumi's love interest, without really introducing who Yumi is to the audience), then Mary, then back to Scar Akai, then Scarlet Showdown, then jumping in time back and forth with the Beach Flashback, and finally ending things on a rather pointless - if not quite frankly insulting teaser to 'The Scarlet Bullet' film. What even is this compilation supposed to be? It makes no sense, is confusing as hell, and is clearly lacking in a strong focus: like for instance, who is Bourbon and why is he so obsessed on Akai of all people? This is never really explained, besides a little hint by the end of the 'Scarlet Showdown' scenes - and yet you have this three-episode arc compiled as is. Also, who are these people from this so-called 'Black Organisation'? They are never really properly introduced, and above all never really shown as the true antagonists they are supposed to be.

These are all legitimate questions, and the recap never truly addresses them throughout its runtime. This is really bad, and I would not be surprised to see some people being even more confused after watching the whole thing.

That is the real problem with this compilation: on the one hand, it is pointless to Conan fans. They are already familiar with the series, yet since they teased a new scene at the end of the recap, they had to go to the theaters to watch it, right? I mean, the end-credit scene could be extremely important to enjoy this year's Conan film, so there was no way in hell they could miss it. I am sorry, but playing with people's love for these characters really rubs me the wrong way. I am not particularly fond of the Akais (it is not Aoyama's best intrigue in my opinion, far from it), but that does not change the fact that this whole "recap-thing" is an obvious and useless cash grab.

On the other hand, regarding the non-Conan fans, I also do not see how they could get much enjoyment from this messy and borderline confusing infodump: having to grasp this amount of trivias just to enjoy your yearly blockbuster flick is quite the acknowledgement of failure if I have ever seen one.
BertKnotApr 20, 2021 3:41 PM
Aug 24, 2021 7:36 AM
Jan 2020
i was not actually expect it to be a recap movie, luckly i was bringing my friend who never actually watch that much DC, so its nice for her meanwhile im just watching this recap movie but still enjoy it 😂
Sep 2, 2022 3:30 PM
Apr 2020
For me it was quite confusing since I haven't watched the relevant episodes yet, German dub is at 399 right now. I was afraid I'd be too dumb to understand the plot (as with some complex cases) but apparently it's really just poorly put together. I wonder whether I'll understand what's going on in film 24 after watching this.
And ngl, I think Masumi Sera is a very cute character (as usual with tomboys-). Anyway, the "10 years ago" part is funny, seeing Shinichi looking exactly like Conan, I mean it's to be expected but still. As he introduces himself he says "I'm Shinichi Kudo... and I'm an admirer of Sherlock Holmes" while now his catchphrase has changed to "... and I'm a detective", found that a cool detail.
But yeah, I can see how this is a cashgrab as it's marketed as a feature film to view at theatres and not just a simple TV special. And if fans were only there to watch the post-credit "we'll see each other again very soon", well...
Sep 15, 2022 10:41 AM
Feb 2021
It´s very good

Watch it

Oct 8, 2022 3:37 PM
Oct 2019
I've watched it a while ago and I simply can't forget the shot akai made thanks to conans instructions
Dec 7, 2022 2:32 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
interesting recopilation about the Akai family, nice for 2 reasons: First, memories to refresh and second knows the way of the anime, because it´s a point important for the events that must come!!! kekeke

More topics from this board

» Which episodes are in this movie?

MisterShaggy - Apr 3, 2021

11 by batfos »»
May 2, 2021 2:53 AM

» Discussion

Stripie - Mar 29, 2021

7 by batfos »»
Mar 30, 2021 4:50 AM

» A somewhat recap?

Playay - Mar 29, 2021

3 by xxmsxx »»
Mar 29, 2021 8:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.