Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2020 5:43 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

As a huge "Tales Of" anime fan (I haven't played any of the games), this 15 minute special really hit the right notes (it is available on Crunchyroll). It is hard to make a prologue for a franchise as big as this work in under 15 minutes, but I believe that this did a good job in introducing the characters and explaining a bit on how the world mechanics work.

It is an interesting idea to see a town where judgement is decided by the community, especially seeing how that system is misused. Add to that the wondrous magic of an average "Tales Of" story, and you have yourself a potentially epic story. So I hope that they eventually make a full series so those that haven't played the game can witness the story in full.

The characters in this story are given enough personality to be likable despite the short run time. Even though they can be chalked up as generic, that doesn't mean that they can't be likable. Kanata had a sad backstory when betrayed by his father and the towns-people, Misella suffered the same fate, and Vicious (very trustworthy name, let's put our faith in him) is cool and mysterious. Kanata and Misella survive through their love for each other.

The concept of owning your sin instead of your sin owning you is fantastically displayed here. While it isn't the first time I have come across it, it really worked well here and it is a very good moral to preach.

The CGI wasn't that bad and the character designs are classic "Tales Of" style and really look good.

There was also an amazing insert song played at an emotional climax which really was well integrated and was really effective in playing into the emotional stakes of the final scene. The song, Light In You, by Ryu Miho, was definitely the highlight of the special.

In conclusion, this special was good enough that, despite the short run time and CGI, I really want to see a full animated series for Tales Of Crestoria.
anime-primeJan 25, 2021 6:02 PM
Oct 18, 2020 11:38 AM

Jun 2015
That was epic. I feel like I just deep dived into a world where justice is decided by the mob without any thought for right or wrong. If this was a one shot I will cry. Theres a build up of characters, amazing story threads going on. I need more. This could be an epic story!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Oct 18, 2020 1:52 PM

Jan 2016
I'll just say this, the game is alright but the story is phenomenal!

Tales of Crestoria should be its own tales of game and not a gacha.

A bit sad that this wasn't done by ufotable but it is what it is, it was quiet jarring but not as jarring as I thought it would be
Oct 18, 2020 2:56 PM

Jul 2017
I'm going to be one of those guys - wish ufotable handled this short for the visuals.

Otherwise, given how the prologue was compacted and adapted to 14 minutes of content, this was rough but not awful atleast. Again feels rushed and empty but I expected much worse + the story did show glimpses of intrigue in this short.
Oct 18, 2020 3:44 PM

Mar 2016
I’m not familiar with the Crestoria game, but I am familiar with the Tales franchise through the adaptations and gameplay videos I’ve seen. Needless to say, this felt spiritually hollow to me despite the additionally problematic compression of the narrative here. I know it’s only 14 minutes, but this got too caught in the conceited nature of the game’s story that it severely underwhelms as a stand-alone.

The CG is jarring at times but passable. Why couldn’t ufotable handle this like most of the other Tales series?
Oct 18, 2020 7:59 PM

Oct 2012
Really liked the story and was bummed to find out it was only a prologue special. Definitely peaked my interest so mission accomplished.
Oct 18, 2020 10:45 PM
Mar 2016
Damn, I'd love an entire series. Highly recommend people check out the game JUST for the story. It's really good!
Oct 19, 2020 4:59 PM

Mar 2008
@anime-prime hit the nail on the head. Looking forward to what’s to come.

Oct 19, 2020 5:47 PM

Nov 2012
Story - 10; Animation - 3
Since it's a game, I thought the animation would've much much better.
Oct 21, 2020 6:21 AM
Oct 2020
The Story : 8
Animation : 10
Soundtrack : 10

I gave it 8 because it was not a long story, I hope that can be into the Movie.

Anyone know the name of the soundtrack? I really like the soundtrack
Oct 21, 2020 6:40 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Johanfs99 said:
The Story : 8
Animation : 10
Soundtrack : 10

I gave it 8 because it was not a long story, I hope that can be into the Movie.

Anyone know the name of the soundtrack? I really like the soundtrack

If you mean the insert song, I listed it in my post above. It was listed in the end credits of the special.
Oct 23, 2020 12:13 AM

Dec 2013
Quite good.
Unfortunately, it's just some mobile game.
Nov 16, 2020 9:41 AM

Sep 2015
The textures looked kinda washed out but the 3D animation was pretty expressive and fluid. I hope they make a full series because this felt like it needs the whole story to really appreciate
Dec 2, 2020 9:23 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Has potential to be some biggest!
Dec 27, 2020 9:40 PM
May 2009
Not exactly generic style wise, but in every other aspect.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.