Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 11, 2019 7:13 AM

Nov 2011
Sara is a great girl..
Shu in the other hand, he has a good intention, but his method is still very stupid.. What would he do if the officer didn't think twice and just shot him and everyone who trying to escape..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Apr 18, 2019 11:19 PM

Jan 2014
Man Hellywood reminds me of (beside a combination of the words Hell and Hollywood) a nation with bizarre cults of personality like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union where lies are repeated to the point they become the truth! Also, with all the child soldiers and abductions it reminds me of the Warlords/Governments who have control in Uganda, Bolivia, The Congo, Myanmar etc. Truly a hellish combination of the dark sides of humanity.

I am so glad that Sara was able to escape the nightmare that is Hellywood I was on the edge of my seat for the entire opening I was so worried what would happen to her and was hoping she would prevail as she fought to prevent going through that hell again and escape.

When she managed to escape from there and shed the uniform and equipment she stole I thought that was very symbolic that she never wants to return to that awful place and that cutting her hair is her way of never fully forgetting what happened but using those hellish experiences she will vow to be a survivor and push forward even if it is the future and road ahead is daunting and unknown. And while she certainly is scared of facing this harsh new world alone (hence the tears) she knows that it has to be better than that prison they call a Kingdom.

The whole sequence was intense, scary, heart and tear jerking, bittersweet, and yet somehow beautiful and hopefully by the end. An absolutely brilliant scene it held my attention from beginning to end!

Aug 27, 2019 12:34 AM

Jan 2015
Save yourself, nice action sara

Nov 9, 2019 8:38 PM

Jun 2019
This episode was decent, but probably the weakest so far. It just wasn't as interesting.

The scene where Sara went berserk was quite brutal. If I were her I don't think I would've drank that "special water", no way of knowing what that was. The scene were she cut her was quite artsy, I bet whoever came up with it was really proud of themselves. Although she doesn't seem particularly bright, running through the presumably freezing desert with barely any cloths on. She should've kept the knife too, no way of knowing what's out there.

When they rolled up to that village guns blazing I though they were gonna commit some genocide, but I guess not. But then again, knowing this show I wouldn't put it past them.

I get a real Maoist China vibe from Hellywood. An insane dictator that everyone worships without question, and brutal policies. I really want to know why Abelia is blindly following that sack of shit though. Is she in love with him or something? Why else would she be jealous of Lala-ru?

I admire Shuu, he's the only likeable character (with personality that is), but damn is he stupid.

I hope Nabuca abandons his evil ways at some point, he doesn't have any character traits besides "muh sad childhood", and he's not very likeable. Reminds me of Cassian from Rouge One.

I hope someone kicks some sense into that Tabool fucker too, dude's got issues.
Feb 20, 2020 12:45 AM

May 2017
Shu's character feels more like a plot device with the sole use of pushing and progressing Nabuca's character than an actual protagonist. He makes non sensical moves all the time and the story failed to fledge him out so far. He never really went in depth to what the hell is actually going on, where the fk he is, and how he can get back to his world/family. He got tortured multiple times but is mentally unscathed.

Also Sara just escaped? Like I thought it was impossible to escape.. that seemed rather easy.
Aug 15, 2020 9:20 AM

Aug 2017
Right after I mentioned Sara's development and escape in the previous episode thread, this happens. This is one of the few anime I've seen that shows successful anti-rape action (and, well, touches on the issue at all), and in so much (chilling) realistic detail. And Sara's panic that *intensified* after she actually killed the guy (she was probably thinking that she had failed after seeing him fall on her).
For a moment I thought that Sara was going to commit seppuku with that knife o_o

"Peaceful expeditions", "negotiations", and all that imagery...Orwellian.

What the show consistently succeeds in is conveying so much through visual imagery, shot composition and offscreen events. The bombardment was not shown, but it was implied that those who returned to the village got killed while mourning the dead, and the village got destroyed completely; meaning that nobody, of course, is going to return to their homes, because there's nowhere to return to after the "recruitment"

P.S. People complaining about Shu being "nonsensical", "stupid" or "illogical" fail to grasp the situation once again. You ain't supposed to lecture a kid thrown in this environment how to act from your armchair. He acts realistically, like it or not. And also I already suspect that some people dislike this series for "shock value", but the most shocking thing here is reacting to all the horrors happening and pretending that it's "shock value" when it's the ugly reality that's not pulled out of thin air.
St0rmbladeAug 15, 2020 9:43 AM
Mar 11, 2021 7:18 PM
Jan 2016
With every passing episode this show just gets more and more brutal and depressing. Them coming to the village to take all the children is just so hard to watch. Nabuca promises the kid he'll get to return someday but as we see at the end of the episode they blew up the village after they left it. They just want there to be the false hope there so the children that make up Hamdo's army will keep on going when in reality there is no happy end waiting for them when the war ends. If it ends. Which as long as Hamdo lives is unlikely.

The stuff with Sara was brilliant at as well.

As I get through each subsequent episode I remember more and more why I only watched this the one time and have taken many years before rewatching it again. Much like with Grave of the Fireflies I can't deny its greatness, but there's only so much one can take.
Mar 30, 2023 8:09 PM

Dec 2022
Sara killing the attempted rapist soldier there was the most satisfying scene in this anime so far. I think she should've at least kept the knife though, rather than ditching it once she escaped. Any weapon helps, considering the world she was transported to.

And Shu is once again the bastion of integrity here. Even if nothing he does individually can result in much change, maybe he'll make them wake up to what exactly Hamdo is using them for. And if not, then his principles stiil elevate him. As long as karma arrives in full force at some point, it doesn't really matter what form it takes.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 21, 2023 5:02 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
So they were trying to use Sara as not only a reward to soldiers but to bear kids. I was cheering for Sara to beat his ass, she had nothing to lose and she did not stop. She also drank the water. Good girl.

Also THAT TRANSITION. The series does such justice to long scenes with no dialogue.

Helly wood forcing villages to give up everything to join a war they want nothing to be apart of. And to abduct all women and children. Disgusting to the core.

Nabuca is so tragically painful to watch. He knows what he’s doing is wrong but he’s done so much already for a promise that will never really be fulfilled. Shuu saying, the cycle will never end if we abduct these kids, they’ll have to do the same. Whose going to stop the violence.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Curious about the title….

Eykosca - Nov 28, 2023

1 by ErogakiPatches »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:38 AM

» How good would you consider the ending and characters? Would you guys consider this wasted potential?

_Arc4n1_ - Apr 25, 2021

10 by Eykosca »»
Nov 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What a great main character!

Dd5 - Sep 3, 2022

10 by Dd5 »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 2, 2008

185 by mal_user_2022 »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Now and Then, Here and There Episode 1 Discussion

Kayro - Mar 31, 2008

49 by dspr »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.