Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 7, 2019 9:31 PM
Apr 2018
I've been seeing questions in different places. I would *love* to answer your questions hahaha. Probably there are others like me as well, who would love an opportunity to ramble about this series. Well, the one-size-fits-all answer is "read the novel", which can be found here: ( https://exiledrebelsscanlations.com/grandmaster-of-demonic-cultivation/ ). However, if you *reeeally* aren't gonna read it, I will be happy to explain things - because this donghua will be confusing without source material. Honestly, I think it's meant to be read twice haha. The second read-through is when you actually understand what's going on. But I imagine some of yall like, actually have lives and whatnot beyond going gaga over MXTX (I remember what that feels like 😥) so plz let a fanatic like myself help you enjoy the show. I can explain things without spoilers, PM me if you want spoilers but I highly recommend not getting spoilers and letting it unfold.

Geez man someone sedate me it's been well over a year since I've been able to stop rambling about MXTX...
IdknymkreAug 7, 2019 10:09 PM
Aug 8, 2019 7:03 AM

May 2018
What happen to Wen Ning and his sister after the war against Wen clan?
Aug 8, 2019 7:38 AM
Apr 2018
Gorochu said:

Wen Ning is the ferocious corpse seen in S1 E2. You'll see him referred to as the "Ghost General" and when he appears, everyone (including WWX) is shocked to see him, having thought his corpse had already been destroyed.

As for how all that happened, it's spoilers, it will be shown later, but you can PM me if you want spoilers lol
Aug 8, 2019 7:41 AM

May 2018
Yalthamen said:
Gorochu said:

Wen Ning is the ferocious corpse seen in S1 E2. You'll see him referred to as the "Ghost General" and when he appears, everyone (including WWX) is shocked to see him, having thought his corpse had already been destroyed.

As for how all that happened, it's spoilers, it will be shown later, but you can PM me if you want spoilers lol

Will we get flashback arc occasionally? Or is season 1 the last major flaschback arc?
Aug 8, 2019 7:52 AM
Apr 2018
Gorochu said:

Will we get flashback arc occasionally? Or is season 1 the last major flaschback arc?

There will definitely be another flashback arc! You still haven't even seen how Wei Wuxian became the Yiling Patriarch hahaha. It will explain why Jiang Cheng came to hate WWX so obsessively, how Jin Ling's parents died, what the evil weapon the "Stygian Tiger Seal" is, how Wen Ning became a ferocious corpse, etc. They haven't shown how WWX became public enemy #1, yet it's obvious from S1 E1-2 that WWX is extremely despised.

They will definitely be flashing back to what happened between the Sunshot Campaign (war with the Wens) and seige on Burial Mound (at the beginning of S1 E1, you hear the cultivators gossiping about how WWX was killed during the "seige on Burial Mound"). Still lots of flashbacks to be had!
Aug 8, 2019 8:14 AM
Aug 2016
I don't get the timeline in th first episode. First we see the defeat of the Wen Clan (so -15 years?) then 5 years later or sth??? and suddenly we are with the rebirthed Wei Wuxian. Is this about right? what was the point of the second part (talk about 2000 watchtowers)?
Aug 8, 2019 8:26 AM
Apr 2018
PsyCode said:
I don't get the timeline in th first episode. First we see the defeat of the Wen Clan (so -15 years?) then 5 years later or sth??? and suddenly we are with the rebirthed Wei Wuxian. Is this about right? what was the point of the second part (talk about 2000 watchtowers)?

Yes the first episode is confusing. Both seasons have confusing first episodes haha. You're talking about S2, right?

S2 basically begins with a summary of the Sunshot Campaign, the war against the Wens, which is almost 20 years before the present. That scene took place during WWX's first life.

It shows Lan Xichen, Nie Mingjue, and Jin Guangyao (a new character who you didn't meet in S1) working together to defeat Wen Ruohan, and that basically gives you a summary of why those 3 became sworn brothers. Since Nie Mingjue was the QingheNie Sect Leader, Lan Xichen became the GusuLan Sect Leader, and Jin Guangyao became the LanlingJin Sect Leader, these 3 were known as the Venerated Triad.

Do you remember at the very end of S1 E15, it flashed to the present real quick, and Lan Xichen told Lan Wangji he was going to visit Sect Leader Jin in Koi Tower? That's the scene you see at the beginning of S2 E1, Lan Xichen and Jin Guangyao chatting at Koi Tower. Remember, in Season 1 we didn't meet Jin Guangyao. Jin Guangshan was Sect Leader and his son Jin Zixuan was heir. We know from S1E2 that Jin Zixuan was Jin Ling's father and died when Jin Ling was a baby, thus we have Jin Guangyao - who is not only LanlingJin Sect Leader, but from that convo with Lan Xichen, you learn he is "chief cultivator" and currently sitting on top of the entire cultivation world.

Since Jin Guangyao is chief cultivator, he's talking about setting up watchtowers in remote areas to monitor any evil occurances.

Then it flashes to Wei Wuxian, but we are still in the present, it's just showing us what Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji are doing in the Cloud Recesses while Lan Xichen is at Koi Tower chatting with Jin Guangyao about watch towers. (I forget, "Koi Tower" might translate to "Golden Carp Tower" in the donghua)

The only flashback during S2E1 is the Sunshot Campaign at the beginning. Everything else takes place in the present.
IdknymkreAug 8, 2019 9:48 AM
Aug 8, 2019 8:46 AM
Aug 2016
Yalthamen said:
PsyCode said:

Yes the first episode is confusing. Both seasons have confusing first episodes haha. You're talking about S2, right?

S2 basically begins with a summary of the Sunshot Campaign, the war against the Wens, which is almost 20 years before the present. That scene took place during WWX's first life.

It shows Lan Xichen, Nie Mingjue, and Jin Guangyao (a new character who you didn't meet in S1) working together to defeat Wen Ruohan, and that basically gives you a summary of why those 3 became sworn brothers. Since Nie Mingjue was the QingheNie Sect Leader, Lan Xichen became the GusuLan Sect Leader, and Jin Guangyao became the LanlingJin Sect Leader, these 3 were known as the Venerated Triad.

Do you remember at the end of S1 E15, it flashed back to the present real quick, and Lan Xichen told Lan Wangji he was going to visit Sect Leader Jin in Koi Tower? That's the scene you see at the beginning of S2 E1, Lan Xichen and Jin Guangyao chatting at Koi Tower. Remember, in Season 1 we didn't meet Jin Guangyao. Jin Guangshan was Sect Leader and his son Jin Zixuan was heir. We know from S1E2 that Jin Zixuan was Jin Ling's father and died when Jin Ling was a baby, thus we have Jin Guangyao - who is not only LanlingJin Sect Leader, but from that convo with Lan Xichen, you learn he is "chief cultivator" and currently sitting on top of the entire cultivation world.

Then it flashes to WWX, but we are still in the present, it's just showing us what Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji are doing in the Cloud Recesses while Lan Xichen is at Koi Tower chatting with Jin Guangyao about watch towers.

The only flashback during S2E1 is the Sunshot Campaign at the beginning. Everything else takes place in the present.

Ok, thanks.
this cleared up alot, been a while scince i watched season one and mixed up Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji(rather thought they were 1 person)... uuups xD

What confuses me even more is the amount of different names people get called, like Name, Title, Nickname and stuff ^^

But i think i got the gist of it now, i'll probably start reading the novel by episode five when i get tired of waiting for the next episode haha
Aug 8, 2019 8:56 AM
Apr 2018
PsyCode said:

Ok, thanks.
this cleared up alot, been a while scince i watched season one and mixed up Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji(rather thought they were 1 person)... uuups xD

What confuses me even more is the amount of different names people get called, like Name, Title, Nickname and stuff ^^

But i think i got the gist of it now, i'll probably start reading the novel by episode five when i get tired of waiting for the next episode haha

Yeah that's what I hear people get confused about most often.

When you're born you're given a birth name (BN) and courtesy name (CN). Your birth name can be used by people you've known since youth or people you're very familiar with, your courtesy name is your most commonly used name throughout your life. It would be disrespectful for a younger person to call you by your birth name. A title (T) is given to extremely distinguished individuals later in life.

**Wei Wuxian(CN) / Wei Ying(BN) / Yiling Patriarch(T) is the protagonist, and since he's in a new body in the present he's also called Mo Xuanyu (Young Master Mo/Senior Mo).

**Lan Wangji(CN) / Lan Zhan(BN) / Hanguang-jun (T) is the love interest, the GusuLan Sect Leader's younger brother, you can differentiate him from his brother by the fact that Lan Wangji *never* smiles

**Lan Xichen(CN) / Lan Huan(BN) / Zewu-jun(T), the GusuLan heir(in the past) Sect Leader(in the present), you can differentiate him by the fact that he is almost always smiling.

Then you have Lan Sizhui and Lan Jingyi, the little GusuLan disciples who are about 15 years old in the present timeline.

The Jins are also confusing.

**Jin Guangshan was the previous Sect Leader and Sect Leader during the flashbacks.

**Jin Zixuan was his legitimate heir, the boy from the flashbacks who was engaged to Jiang Yanli and always having fights with Wei Wuxian.

**Jin Ling is Jin Zixuan and Jiang Yanli's son, the 15 year old you meet in the present timeline, being raised by uncle Jiang Cheng since his parents died when he was a baby.

**Jin Guangyao / Meng Yao / Lianfang-zun(T) is the LanlingJin Sect Leader/chief cultivator in the present day, the illegitimate son of Jin Guangshan. He was originally named Meng Yao but changed his name to Jin Guangyao after being accepted into the LanlingJin Sect.
IdknymkreAug 8, 2019 9:32 AM
Aug 8, 2019 9:11 AM
Apr 2018
BTW, I updated my reply since you quoted me, and made it more understandable haha
Aug 8, 2019 1:58 PM
Aug 2016
Yalthamen said:
BTW, I updated my reply since you quoted me, and made it more understandable haha

Thanks! I rewatched ep 1 after your description, everything makes sooo much more sense now :D
Aug 9, 2019 11:25 AM

Sep 2017
Thanks for all these infos, the anime is a masterpiece but it's sure confusing

Besides that, I have two questions :
- I know that, in the present, Wei Wuxian is "reincarnated" into Mo Xuanyu's body. But does anyone know if Mo Xuanyu is related to the main clans ?

I already checked this picture often in the Season 1 :

- If I'm correct, most of S1 events take place 20 years ago. But, in the present, Lan Wangji didn't seem to have aged ? (as well as other GusuLan's clan members)

Aug 9, 2019 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
Themousen said:

- I know that, in the present, Wei Wuxian is "reincarnated" into Mo Xuanyu's body. But does anyone know if Mo Xuanyu is related to the main clans ?

Mo Xuanyu is one of Jin Guangshan's illegitimate sons and a former disciple of the Lanling Jin sect.
Aug 9, 2019 12:02 PM
Apr 2018
Themousen said:

- If I'm correct, most of S1 events take place 20 years ago. But, in the present, Lan Wangji didn't seem to have aged ? (as well as other GusuLan's clan members)

Yeah like the previous person said, Mo Xuanyu was one of (flashback-arc LanlingJin Sect Leader) Jin Guangshan's illegitimate sons and briefly studied in Lanling before being kicked back to Mo Village. That makes him the half-uncle of Jin Ling and half-brother of Jin Zixuan and Jin Guangyao. You see Wei Wuxian realize this in S1E2 when he first meets Jin Ling.

Hahaha idk I think the Lans look aged, except for Qiren. It's kinda subtle but I think they do a good job with gradual age progression. But yeah in the present time, the war generation is in their mid/late 30s, while Mo Xuanyu's body is early 20s. Cultivators always age well.
IdknymkreAug 9, 2019 5:23 PM
Feb 7, 11:42 AM

Apr 2013
Hi, my friend! :)
I don't know if you still check your posts, but.....
I watched the donghua and I kinda understood it. And I cried and I loved it (I watched all 3 seasons). But I wanted to understand it better.... so I read the manhua. And the donghua helped me understand the manhua and the manhua helped me understand the donghua. So I cried some more and I loved it that much that I read the novel to get more information. There was more crying involved. After that I started watching the Untamed. And now I'm rewatching the donghua and saw your post. I just wanted to say that I think I'm a fan of the series as well.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 2 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 2, 2019

24 by KuroKen15 »»
Feb 15, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 3, 2019

28 by samyllazevedo »»
Oct 2, 2023 5:48 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xealias - Aug 23, 2019

51 by iamnameers »»
Feb 4, 2023 8:38 AM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xealias - Aug 31, 2019

50 by diorcula »»
Jan 31, 2023 1:46 AM

» Altogether how'd you like S2?

Idknymkre - Aug 31, 2019

43 by Ougi_00 »»
Oct 29, 2022 12:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.