Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 31, 2019 7:01 AM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
WWX was so badass when he fought those bad guys.

LWJ kneeling in front of WWX was kinda random, NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING THOUGH! ^.^

The ending scene with the toy was really adorable.

Now it's the waiting game again for the next season. Gonna be the Yi City arc, trailer is out already.

Aug 31, 2019 7:45 AM
Apr 2018
What the heck was that last scene I need context!!! Id seen it in previews but I thought it was gonna be curse mark hallucinations. WWX is so freaking adorable dude I don't even know what to do. Ahhhhhhhh help me! Now I'm gonna go on a mdzs donghua break until everything's subbed then binge re-watch S2.
Aug 31, 2019 8:06 AM

Aug 2010
Yalthamen said:
What the heck was that last scene I need context!!! Id seen it in previews but I thought it was gonna be curse mark hallucinations. WWX is so freaking adorable dude I don't even know what to do. Ahhhhhhhh help me! Now I'm gonna go on a mdzs donghua break until everything's subbed then binge re-watch S2.

I thought it'd just be a hallucination too to pull WWX out of the curse mark hallucination but I guess in the donghua-verse they actually met when they were kids ;_;

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
anime-primeNov 5, 2021 12:16 AM
Aug 31, 2019 9:01 AM

Jan 2017
Now that this season only had 8 episodes I can't help but wonder, will next season be the last and they'll have to finish the story with 7 less episodes than originally planned or will they be able to do 45 episodes but in more seasons?
Aug 31, 2019 9:15 AM
Apr 2018
holiday498 said:
Now that this season only had 8 episodes I can't help but wonder, will next season be the last and they'll have to finish the story with 7 less episodes than originally planned or will they be able to do 45 episodes but in more seasons?

Was 45 the original plan?
Aug 31, 2019 9:43 AM

Jan 2017
Yalthamen said:

Yeah I believe 3 seasons each 15 episodes long was what was originally announced
Sep 2, 2019 9:39 PM

Mar 2015
*Spoiler for who haven't watched episode 8

THIS IS SO FCKIN BLISSFUL WHEN I SAW THAT SCENE!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 3, 2019 12:13 AM
Jun 2019
Yalthamen said:
holiday498 said:

Original plan was 3 seasons 40 episodes in total. G.CMay animation has other donghua to make next year so mdzs s3 could be in 2021?
hiseki97Sep 3, 2019 7:19 AM
Sep 3, 2019 11:17 AM
Jul 2018
hiseki97 said:
Yalthamen said:

Original plan was 3 seasons 40 episodes in total. G.CMay animation has other donghua to make next year so mdzs s3 could be in 2021?

I doubt it'll be that late seeing as the team are planning to do early releases (as shown in S2 with 3 eps in the first week and the two final episodes being released together). I read somewhere that S3 could be due anytime this coming January. A PV for the Yi City arc has already been released.

Also, in the trailer, was that a certain someone's secret room? (,-.-), ~ya know
Sep 4, 2019 7:48 AM

Aug 2008
Overall, i gave a 7 to this season. I'm not lol mad cus of the changes, but lol was a tad rushed and sadly few cool moments were skipped. Saw raw all, so i'm happy, now waiting the sub as well. The way she died was coolin the novbel, and the events before and after, in the donghua they minimalized it
hope the 3rd will be a bit longer
The spider is watching
Sep 12, 2019 4:19 PM
Sep 2019
Yalthamen said:

I'm worried about what they're gonna cut tbh

I think the corpse poison and kids bonding moment wont be cut coz they need
Sep 12, 2019 5:52 PM
Apr 2018
Pin_pyo said:
Yalthamen said:

I think the corpse poison and kids bonding moment wont be cut coz they need

I totally agree but I don't think the donghua team is super committed to giving a lot of context or explanation hahaha. But I really hope you're right! I'm worried about so much stuff getting cut lol
Sep 13, 2019 12:36 PM
Nov 2017
Where on earth do you guys watch it? I can't find any episodes beyond episode 5 D:
Sep 13, 2019 1:58 PM
Apr 2018
Craneface said:
Where on earth do you guys watch it? I can't find any episodes beyond episode 5 D:

I sent you a PM with links

Also, I just saw some official donghua art with the kids in the background so hopefully they will be present for the crucial moments next season.
Sep 13, 2019 4:23 PM
Sep 2019
Craneface said:
tencents official acct on youtube. Yes, youtube. Just download a vpn if they blocked ur country
Sep 21, 2019 4:24 AM

Mar 2016
I knew it! Guangyao was the one! Can't believe I figured it out from the Live action. lol.

I know they removed the BL from this donghua, but there is no heterosexual explanation for having that flashback of the childhood.

When they show us flashbacks of characters meeting or crossing paths long before the start of the story, I don't really like it! No matter how cute it is. No matter how absolutely adorably cute!!

It's interesting how Mo Xuanyu feels like a properly developed character, even though he is dead. I love how his death wasn't only used as a plot device for giving Wei Wuxian a second chance.

I will re watch the episode again when Guodong subs it. They do a better job than the official channel on YouTube.
Sep 21, 2019 4:42 AM

Sep 2017
Baby Wei Wuxian has to be one of the cutest things I've ever seen

I'm sad this season is already over, but that was a great arc
I still have some difficulties sometimes to follow the plot and the characters even more, but it kept getting clearer and clearer throughout this second season. I guess I'll have to work at it just before the 3rd season begins (in 2020, I hope)
Sep 21, 2019 7:51 AM

May 2015
This season definitely suffered from it's short 8 episode count, it's sad that the story and characters kinda got reduced to bare bones. Plz don't kill me over the my opinions lol, I know MDZS fans can be quite...passionate.

I've seen novel readers comment on a change to WWX's character in the novel he

I have not read the novel but if the spoiler is true, I much prefer how events transpired there and wish it went down like that for donghua.

Speculation time.

I think WWX commited suicide, from the way he answered LWJ it seems pretty obvious. And the person that stabbed Shijie was the feral zombie of Papa Jin.
Sep 21, 2019 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
I swear, if they don't bring the kids for the Yi City arc, I might just revolt. Anyway, they went straight in with throwing the shade onto Jin Guangyao. As a couple of you have said, the donghua has certainly suffered from the current episode count. A lot of abridgements (and tweaks) have been made, enough to make the live-action seem closer to the novel!

Clearly, I didn't see that coming. All's said and done, I got the gist of everything. Wish they gave Nie Huaisang more screentime (and I wish I could see him go "I don't know! I don't know! I really don't know!").

Ah, at least the audio drama exists. I'm just going to wait for S3E8 now. :)
Sep 21, 2019 10:07 AM
Apr 2018
CtrlZED said:
And the person that stabbed Shijie was the feral zombie of Papa Jin.

Wait what? He wasn't dead at that point tho?
Sep 21, 2019 12:10 PM
Apr 2018
I 👏 need 👏 the 👏 next 👏 season 👏 announcement 👏 NOW 👏 !!! 💖
Sep 21, 2019 5:51 PM

May 2015
Yalthamen said:
CtrlZED said:
And the person that stabbed Shijie was the feral zombie of Papa Jin.

Wait what? He wasn't dead at that point tho?

...Wait Papa Jin isn't Jin Zixuan, I've seen that nickname around the fandom and just assumed it was Jin Ling's father lol.

But NVM it can't be him, the pacing and the way the episode was edited made it seem like when WWX went to see Yanli and the battle took place in the same area. I was just confused haha and read your other thread, she was killed by a rando.
Sep 22, 2019 1:48 AM

Nov 2014
Episode was so underwhelming. I dislike the approach they took this season. Either stick to the past or the present. Instead we jumping back and forth. All they had to do was continue where S1 took off but they decided to skip 15 years ahead and then do these random flash backs while also trying to tell another story. I loved the flashbacks because obviously I want to know what happened, I just dislike how they went about it.

And I also dislike how every time Lan Zhan talks about something serious Wei Xing passes it off as a joke. Like again this episode when he asked how he died. And then last episode the scene when Lan Zhan reveals that he knows its Wei Xing was so underwhelming.

Once again I loved the series but the approach they took left a sour taste in my mouth. So 7/10 for me
Sep 23, 2019 3:29 PM

Oct 2013
I really liked the first season and felt I could follow and understand the story quite well. After completing the second season, I was left sort of confused and I have no IDEA WHAT'S HAPPENING. Like when was the ghost general even a big deal? I guess I'll just have to wait for season 3 with hopefully more episodes to understand!!! But still, I loved the art and music and just the characters!
Sep 23, 2019 3:47 PM
Apr 2018
m0llerz said:
I really liked the first season and felt I could follow and understand the story quite well. After completing the second season, I was left sort of confused and I have no IDEA WHAT'S HAPPENING. Like when was the ghost general even a big deal? I guess I'll just have to wait for season 3 with hopefully more episodes to understand!!! But still, I loved the art and music and just the characters!

It was extremely confusing because it switched between the past and present a lot lol. I wrote a summary of all the flashbacks a couple topics down in this forum if you wanna check what had happened and why the ghost general is important etc.
Sep 24, 2019 12:22 PM

Apr 2015
nfinitdark said:
While I am very glad some people seemed to enjoy this season, I did not.
As a devout reader of the novel, all the changes, strange filler, and random pieces of flashbacks left me disheartened and dissatisfied.
The whole point of the novel's 'redemption' theme was that WWX was culpable- he DID lose control, and in the present, he has a second chance to rectify his mistakes, reevaluate what is important to him and realize LWJ loves him unconditionally. The animators (and the live action) really 'dumbed down' his character.
I really encourage anyone with an interest to read the book.
It was good that B.C. May kept up the quality of the animation at least. The series is still beautiful and sounds great.
I am not really looking forward to any subsequent seasons because I'm pretty sure it will be more of me grabbing my hair and yelling 'Why?!'. But I definitely hope that other viewers will find something that entertains them and makes them happy.
My apologies if this sounded whiny.

Also at this point, I don't have much hope for 'Scum Villain' or 'Heaven Official's Blessing' adaptations with the way Chinese censorship is going. Please light a candle.

From what I got, Chinese censorship has a problem with grey morality. Unfortunately for us, that means cutting off a good chunk of WiFi's characterization

SVSSS and TGCF shouldn't have the same problem
Vsegda7Sep 25, 2019 11:44 AM
Sep 24, 2019 12:29 PM
Apr 2018
nfinitdark said:

Also at this point, I don't have much hope for 'Scum Villain' or 'Heaven Official's Blessing' adaptations with the way Chinese censorship is going. Please light a candle.

Idk, I have hopes for TGCF! First of all, Haoliners is doing it so the animation isn't gonna be as pretty as MDZS, *but* Haoliners tends to make tons of seasons and takes things slow and doesn't rush plots. Also, TGCF has like the most adaptable romance from a censorship perspective, since it can just be portrayed as fanatical religious devotion. Aaaand finally, hasn't Haoliners gotten away with pulling the "these kisses aren't for gay romance, they're for swapping spiritual powers" excuse in the past with Ling Qi? I definitely don't think it will meet the animation/production value standards of MDZS, but I think it will be a lot better/truer adaptation of the novel.
Sep 24, 2019 3:03 PM

Sep 2017
can't wait for season 3!!
Sep 24, 2019 3:38 PM

May 2017
Who would have thought. I AM CONFUSED. The super rushed feeling definitely did not help with understanding the story and the characters better. Man this show has insane amounts of potential but just feeling confused so often is just a little tiring.

Love the characters, the animation and the music. Just absolutely hate the fact that Wei Wuxian looks identical to Mo Xuanyu. It makes it so hard and annoying to tell if this is a flashback or not.

Edit: after rewatching it 2 years later.. How was I that confused? the timeline is so crystal clear. But this season was kind of a big step down from season 1. I don't particularly like the ghost hand story line. the flashback in season 1 was infinite amounts better.
shayed__Oct 30, 2021 3:27 AM
Sep 24, 2019 5:55 PM

Apr 2010
This season was sooo rushed, sometimes it looked that it would be difficult to grasp the situation to anyone who didnt read the novel. I really hope so that they wont skip empathy part
Sep 25, 2019 2:37 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that.. didn't really feel like an ending
Sep 25, 2019 10:40 AM
Aug 2011
That one part where Lan Zhan kneels in front of WWX I thought he was going to propose right then and there. Wasted opportunity... could've done it and outgayed us all.

Seriously though a Yi City arc cliffhanger like that...
Babies Wei Wuxian and Lan Zhan at the end were adorable but it was also highly cheesy. What was Lan Zhan even doing out there? Makes no sense.

The plus side is that this season had great visuals as expected, mostly because the present timeline character designs are so fucking good. How does everyone look extremely beautiful fkldasjflkasjf.
Background eye candy for days as expected but the animation in some of those fighting sequences seemed a bit choppier than those in season 1. Still miles ahead of what most anime manage to produce.

The negative is that 8 episodes were never enough for this 'arc'.
A big shame that this suffered from a very condensed story. There was really no atmosphere/time for any long-lasting meaningful buildup. Character personalities seem thinner as a result. I wanted more Wen sibling screentime and baby A-Yuan. T_T Also not enough Jiang Cheng which in turn makes me feel deprived of comedy.

Overall I don't know. This season needs to marinate in my brain for a while.

shayed__ said:
Just absolutely hate the fact that Wei Wuxian looks identical to Mo Xuanyu. It makes it so hard and annoying to tell if this is a flashback or not.

Yes but also No because Wei Wuxian and Mo Xuanyu's hair is different. Am I the only one that pays attention to hair?
Sep 25, 2019 3:03 PM
Nov 2017
Whaa I finished watching the episode before I realised it was the last one D: Sad

But wooo, Wei Wuxian is quite the babe ho ho <3
Can't wait to see more of him, wonder when the next season will begin airing
Sep 25, 2019 3:35 PM

Oct 2015
But how did Wei Wuxian die in the first, like Lan Zhan I'm confused! Who killed him, was it one of the ghosts or someone just killed him? That cliffhanger though, makes me more curious about the mystery!

This season was really confusing, if it wasn't for this forum I Would've been lost! I owe much thanks to @Yalthamen for the wisdom on the series, otherwise I Would've given this less than 7. Thanks again.

But it's a 9/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 25, 2019 4:09 PM
Nov 2016
Yalthamen said:
moshiyare said:

I have a feeling they going to cut the story soo much and it make me sad =_= cause I love this arc.
Sep 25, 2019 4:25 PM
Nov 2016
nfinitdark said:
As a devout reader of the novel, all the changes, strange filler, and random pieces of flashbacks left me disheartened and dissatisfied.
The whole point of the novel's 'redemption' theme was that WWX was culpable- he DID lose control, and in the present, he has a second chance to rectify his mistakes, reevaluate what is important to him and realize LWJ loves him unconditionally. The animators (and the live action) really 'dumbed down' his character.
It was good that B.C. May kept up the quality of the animation at least. The series is still beautiful and sounds great.
I am not really looking forward to any subsequent seasons because I'm pretty sure it will be more of me grabbing my hair and yelling 'Why?!'. But I definitely hope that other viewers will find something that entertains them and makes them happy.

yeas I can agree on your points, that was the point of the novel, that he did lose control. but well has much that I disappointed, I still love/enjoy this season cause it bring my favorite character's to life.

besides most of TV/series show adaptation's tend to add things/remove things and will never ever be like the book. that's why you have the book for it, but for what they did add I still find it very beautiful and heart breaking.

second, THEY CAN'T show any gay parts/Lan Wangji romantic love in china! blame their stupid rules not the creator's that didn't have any choice if they didn't want their series to be banned. but they do show some deep bromance so...I"m cool with it XD
has for live action (I don't get why it even broght up here cause it have nothing to do with the series) I don't think they "dumbed down" the character's at all, I think both version took different things from the character's and there is nothing wrong with it. it still the same Wei ying and Lan Wangji, just different sides in them. I actually love how the animetion show them at the age of 15 compare to how they act when they much more older and how they grow up.

I totally agree on 'Scum Villain' and 'Heaven Official's Blessing' adaptations, I won't bother watching them. I just read them if I want to remember the story.
Sep 25, 2019 6:16 PM

Dec 2018
Anyone who ever says they liked this season better than season 1 is majorly capping.
Sep 25, 2019 8:56 PM
Jul 2018
The toy scene was great. Oh my god was anyone going to tell me wei wuxian and lan zhan knew eachother since they were kids? or was i supposed to figure it out myself? bro they were adorable. I guess i will have to wait for the next season....
Sep 26, 2019 2:43 AM
Jul 2018
nfinitdark said:

True. The production team were probably drunk with overconfidence after the release of S1. Anyway, I've fallen too far into the mxtx hole by now.

At least there's hope for the manhuas (RIP SVSSS) now that MDZS's is ongoing and STARember will release the HoB's in a week or so (their art is beyond beautiful). And the near perfect MDZS audio drama.

Seriously, for those who don't want to read the novel (how dare you), the audio drama is about 100% close to the original story. Listen to it at suibiansubs!
Sep 26, 2019 9:55 AM
Apr 2018
Ko-me said:
Yalthamen said:

I have a feeling they going to cut the story soo much and it make me sad =_= cause I love this arc.

Did you watch the live action? They did Yi City soooo well I was blown away 😍

Anyway (the rest of this isn't in reply to the quote lol its just rambles)

After season 2 of the donghua I officially like the live action more haha. Despite some major plot changes, they kept so many scenes verbatim from the novel. And compared to the lukewarm chemistry between WWX/LWJ in the donghua, the live action was practically a porno lol despite it also being a censored "bromance".

I do enjoy the donghua it's just I kinda ruin it for myself by being a novel snob lol. And there's a couple characters I think the donghua does better than the live action, Jin Ling, Jin Zixuan, deeefinitely Jin Guangyao (basically all the Jins lol), Wen Ning & Wen Qing, and all of the older/parent generation.

But I'm already 99% sure that the donghua won't do Yi City as well as the drama, coz that arc was amaaazing in the drama.
Sep 26, 2019 1:31 PM

Jan 2018
Pretty good finale, but it's hard topping something as great as episode 7. Overall this season was I'd say just as good as season 1 or a little worse, but that doesn't stop me from giving it a 10/10. Great characters, world and story to keep me invested.

Now the wait for a third season...
Oct 1, 2019 11:06 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, that was quite the abrupt finale. I think I need to rewind stuff in my mind and try to connect the dots here, way too many things were happening simultaneously I'm afraid.

I knew that one of the three brothers, if not more, is up to no good and sure enough, the most suspicious one drops another hint. Damn those seals on the formation and whatnot though, I wonder what he's game is here. Really curious on that Lan Clan's possible traitor too.

Anyway, that was a cool little teaser in the end there. I'm a little surprised they decided to cut thing off here though, felt like we were a stretch away from the grand revelations in all honesty. Guess we're in the waiting game yet again, nevertheless. Hopefully, we won't be getting < 8 episodes this time around too.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed the first season a bit more thanks to its relatively slower progression and thus more exploration which made the journey quite fun indeed. I was really captivated by the start of this season though but one too many from episode 4 or so to really keep a firm grip on. Thanks to the Character Designs, the transitions between the past and present timeline don't feel genuine either I've to say.

Despite all this however, it's still been a great season of MDZS to watch! Animation's been crisp and stunning, all round. Characters getting a bit more of an up too was great to have and the overall mystery, while loose and daunting, is exhilarating.

Much thanks to Tencent Video for releasing all the episode in YouTube, I hope they do the same for future seasons and for QuanZhi GaoShou too!

=> 7.80/10.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 19, 2019 9:21 AM

Oct 2014
Why did they change it from the novel so much :( nothing has as much weight as it would've anymore... oof. Really, if you enjoy this donghua, do yourself a huge favor and go read the novel ;-;

Oct 22, 2019 2:33 AM

May 2018
Great, but not as good as the first season. This was a good sequel, thanks to this we got scene on past and present and this makes everything clear and some questions from the s1 have been answered. Now that Wei Wuxian has been revived and it looks he is not the villan at all, and the owner of the ghost hand was the mastermind of all the things. I'm excited to see 3rd season, I hope it will be interesting.

Mar 13, 2020 8:10 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
The starting 4 episodes were too hard to sit through, rest was ez.

7.5/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Nov 3, 2020 8:04 PM

Jun 2017
I love this series <3
I can't wait for season 3!
Dec 13, 2020 2:57 AM

Dec 2018
whoa they've met as kids, they're so cute as kids ;v
Jan 31, 2021 2:39 PM

Nov 2007
They really did whatever they wanted to with this season, hah....
But well, I am a MDZS trash, so I will devour MDZS anything and be thankful. The Wangxian at the end was adorable. In fact, this anime...er, donghua Wangji is so expressive...that's adorable too.
Sep 8, 2021 12:54 PM

Jan 2021
can’t wait for yi city
and hopefully we’ll get something close to the book’s original confession scene
Nov 17, 2022 12:12 PM
Mar 2022
it was good, but also confusing.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 2 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 2, 2019

24 by KuroKen15 »»
Feb 15, 12:05 PM

» Are you confused?

Idknymkre - Aug 7, 2019

14 by serina7 »»
Feb 7, 11:42 AM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 3, 2019

28 by samyllazevedo »»
Oct 2, 2023 5:48 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xealias - Aug 23, 2019

51 by iamnameers »»
Feb 4, 2023 8:38 AM

» Altogether how'd you like S2?

Idknymkre - Aug 31, 2019

43 by Ougi_00 »»
Oct 29, 2022 12:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.