Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 28, 2019 2:59 PM

Jun 2011
I'm watching this series and so far it's quite mediocre and this is because all of the characters are bland and average or just annoying. All of these characters are just stupid, bratty, crybabies, or all of the above so I don't get the appeal of this show.

And no, I don't give a darn that they're all teenagers or Sasami's only like 6-7 years old, I still hate how much crying they do. Sasami doesn't really do much bitching but the other girls in this show do.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Apr 27, 2021 12:30 AM
Jan 2019
Angry_Anime_Nerd said:
I'm watching this series and so far it's quite mediocre and this is because all of the characters are bland and average or just annoying. All of these characters are just stupid, bratty, crybabies, or all of the above so I don't get the appeal of this show.

And no, I don't give a darn that they're all teenagers or Sasami's only like 6-7 years old, I still hate how much crying they do. Sasami doesn't really do much bitching but the other girls in this show do.

That's what makes it better than modern anime to me.

Modern anime has whining and crying characters, but it is shown way more boring and less funny.
90's Anime has bratty and stupid characters shown in funny way, ever since Urusei Yatsura, where character's stupidity was their point for the sake of comedy.

May 8, 2021 3:19 PM
Oct 2018
The first 2 ovas were really well done. Sasami had grace and while the weird retconning of ryoko's relationship with tenchi made her appear vastly different from his first encounter with her to their later ones it was still really well done. The bickering between ryoko and aeka can be a bit too much and not very creative or constructive in terms of plot development (or any theoretically real plot/character development) it still has soul.

I just started the third ova and it is trash so far. It's kinda small details which are the most annoying. Sasami lost all her grace and simply became "the helpful/nice" character. I thought throughout the first two ovas how lucky she was in her universe to have things go in a way where she never looked like she had to beg ppl to come eat her food when it was done despite crazy things happening etc. It's like they gave the whole series to some American studio or everyone forgot how to make anime in the 00's. Definitely a different generation.
Another thing in the third ova is the father of tenchi wasn't a straight up punching bag or it was at least artfully done. He's supposed to be an old geezer but you see some method behind him.
That and there are random character introductions that I'm supposed to care about in order to enjoy the series. I don't know who half of these characters before they introduce them but they have some weird character development I'm supposed to be excited about when I don't know what they're developing from (like Tenchi's fiance, seriously what is that and why was she separate from everyone and accepting dinner invites from strangers when she traveled the universe to meet someone).
They also do too much face-panning crap. I'm guessing those are supposed to be cheap laughs but having kept a strong distance from 00's American weebs it just comes off as cringe or like a forced laugh track.
The retcons are hard to keep up with as they come scene by scene to be something. Ryoko and Aeka have to be passive so I'm not sure what that amounts to now. I like that Washu is considered a philosopher now but I don't think there was any real point to the change in terms of the plot and if anything it might mess up my opinion of her earlier.

I tend to avoid anime from the 00's because it's a really weird time for anime but I'm going to power through it to see if ova4/5 are any good.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki Episode 6 Discussion

MrHatandClogs - Jan 2, 2012

10 by satyrelfheim »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki Episode 5 Discussion

animalia - Aug 1, 2014

11 by satyrelfheim »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:22 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki Episode 4 Discussion

ScrewBall - May 19, 2010

12 by satyrelfheim »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:21 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki Episode 3 Discussion

13 by satyrelfheim »»
Jul 27, 2023 8:37 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki Episode 2 Discussion

9 by satyrelfheim »»
Jul 27, 2023 8:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.