Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2018 5:56 PM

Sep 2014
If you have reviewed our spokon database index, you may have noticed that some commonly cataloged as sport anime are missing. It's not that they are missing, but they simply can't be considered spokon anime. Normally, when an anime contains something related to a sport it is classified as sport anime. It's quite simple and quite logical. However, the tags serve, above all, to identify a certain type of anime with a certain type of audience. The problem is there are animes related to the sport which the common sport anime audience doesn't feel identified, and there are animes not related to the sport which the sport anime audience feel identified. That's why the term "sports anime" is not used here, but "spokon anime", which has a deeper and less confusing meaning for fans of the genre.

The "Spokon" Word

Spokon comes from several acronyms, supotsu which means "sport", kondo which means "spirit", and also kon which means "obsession". "Spokon anime" is the original japanese tag for what we call in English "sport anime" plainly for short, when perhaps it would be more correct "sport spirit anime". That is to say, the spokon anime is not only related to sports, but also sportsmanship, competition and ambition for victory. It's usually very easy to know when an anime is spokon, but then I have prepared a simple and powerful definition that does not give rise to confusion.

Definition

* The central theme of the anime must revolve around an activity of a competitive nature.

With the definition above it should be enough, but just in case, I add a clarifying note:

* There mustn't be a fanservice that goes beyond the occasional comedy.

That is, because in excess, the overload of fanservice ruins what is related to the competitive spirit. Not only happens with the fanservice, also with any other tag with excessive prominence within the anime, but since most of the doubts revolve around the fanservice, I considered necessary to clarify it like this.

Hybrid spokon

An anime can have many tags, although the normal thing is that a particular one predominates. In the case of the spokon tag, due to its definition, it's always the predominant tag, although there are special cases in which a spokon shares a tag with another anime genre in equal parts, without one tag being more important than the other. And these anime is what I call hybrid spokon.

This is something I will extend later, in the examples section.

Characteristics of a spokon anime

Following are some common archetypal characteristics in spokon anime with its corresponding explanation and some examples (I will give examples of some anime scenes that may contain very light "spoilers", you can skip the paragraphs where I mention an anime you didn't watch, although it's not really going to spoil your experience with the anime, I wouldn't even consider them spoilers).

This doesn't mean that all spokon animes have these characteristics, but it's very likely that they contain the majority.

Examples of animes that are spokon and animes that do not

Let's give some examples of the most controversial or dubious animes to tag.

I have to make clear one thing, whether an anime is spokon or not, it doesn't mean that an anime is good or bad, or that is good or bad that you like certain anime, it's simply the way to tag an anime.
LightSparkerMay 13, 2018 12:09 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 2, 2020 8:02 AM
May 2018
Great post! The examples were great too.
May 4, 1:48 AM

Apr 2011
Funny how I never knew about this word. I love spokon!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» (Theory) Manami will win second Inter-high and Onoda will win the third

LightSparker - May 13, 2018

1 by shoujo1196 »»
Jan 4, 2021 12:28 AM

Sticky: » Affiliation

LightSparker - May 14, 2018

0 by LightSparker »»
May 14, 2018 3:56 AM

» eSports videogames REALLY related to sports

0 by LightSparker »»
May 13, 2018 3:33 PM

Sticky: » Theory Compilation Thread

0 by LightSparker »»
May 13, 2018 2:34 PM

» Sports moments in not sports anime

0 by LightSparker »»
May 13, 2018 1:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.