Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2010 7:52 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That fight was getting retarded tbh. Sojiro's character is a little wierd.
Jan 6, 2012 7:31 PM
Dec 2011
weird animation this episode; looks like the same animator(s) as that train episode earlier in the series.

looks like they're setting up to dispatch sojiro the same way as the preceding challengers (ayoki and the monk), as well as the giant fuji: through an appeal to their better angels. meh.
Jul 17, 2013 1:00 PM

May 2011
Ah, Soujiro. His backstory was hinted at this episode and his emotions seem to be fluctuating because recalling of Senkaku's final words (before he killed him) and everything about Kenshin's idealism. That's the one thing I really like about Rurouni Kenshin, the characters, even antagonists are all "human" in there own way. The short duel they had was epic though, and his Shukuchi is insane.

Sano and Yumi interactions are always a highlight lol. Looks like it's going to get to the serious part next episode though.
Jun 5, 2014 7:00 AM

Oct 2013
-Shuda- said:
That's the one thing I really like about Rurouni Kenshin, the characters, even antagonists are all "human" in there own way.

Only the villains since the Kyoto arc started are like that. The previous ones were mindless, evil drones.

But yeah, I like that these villains display a human side to them.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 16, 2014 3:22 PM

Apr 2014
Was hoping Soujiro would at some point kill the female, despite it upsetting Shishio, but she's getting annoying questioning everything he does, I'd assume it'd annoy him at least.
May 19, 2015 1:08 PM
Oct 2012
Wow, Soujiro is not just unsetling with its innocent smile and cold sociopathy and skil, but it seems he could be one of the more interesting villains I've ever seen. Hope the see the next episode reveals him as such. I'll be watching it right now, I can't wait.
Oct 2, 2015 11:19 AM

May 2015
Soujiro's so cool! <3 (even if he is a little 'off' ovo) His Shukuchi is so fast-! Can't wait to see the full backstory

Gotta wonder, if he believes the strong live and the weak die, what does he think about Yumi? Since she doesn't seem very "strong". Maybe he has different standards for women.
Oct 24, 2016 8:57 AM

May 2012
RIP people with epileptic seizures :|

Pretty good development, I wonder if we'll get to see a bit more of his backstory! Let's see what's next.
Jan 6, 2017 7:34 AM

Sep 2016
This episode & the following 2 ones brought back loads of memories. The fight between Soujirou & Kenshin was the very one that made Rurouni Kenshin appeal to me in the first place.
Soujirou was a total mixture of cuteness, fun and badass in this episode. Always interesting to watch the episodes focusing on him.

Sano & Yumi should work harder on their narrations which were affected by their lack of knowledge & quarrel, lol. Just kidding. Their interactions were pretty fun to watch.

I used to not understand the scene of Soujirou & Senkaku's talk and the bird thing. Now that I think about it, what that scene would like to show was Soujirou's struggles after seeing Kenshin try to protect Senkaku from death. He hesitated and had no idea why someone who believed no killing could be so powerful. But the bird preying on fish scene convinced him that it’s right to believe that the strong will live and the weak shall die. So he killed Senkaku to further persuade himself that what he’s been following for years was correct.

His jumping back for shoelace break was surprisingly sudden. It caught me off guard the first time I watched it. More of his backstory will be revealed in the next episode. You’ll get to know why he’s been so conflicted afterwards.

Easily an 11/5 episode with the fast pacing, the badassness of Shukuchi & glorious OST.
Orikasa_MomijiJan 6, 2017 8:14 AM
Mar 15, 2019 10:46 PM
Dec 2018
They could have made this fight more awesome with less talk and more fight but I have no complain... I really love this episode. Easily 5/5

Lol, Yumi and sano interaction was funny.
Oct 11, 2021 9:07 PM

Aug 2018
Interesting fight!

It seems Soujiro is definitely being affected by Kenshin's words and ideals....

Jun 17, 2022 4:57 AM

Feb 2017
Loved the depiction of speed and the Shukuchi.

Aug 24, 2023 9:59 AM

Mar 2016
For the love of sanity can we lock Sano and Yumi out of the room already?! While a step above the Aoshi fight with more action actually happening with the usual dull monologuing, their chibi-stye interuptions as forced comedy insertion to what is supposed to be a serious fight just makes the entire episode a joke...and not a good one.

It has all the potential to be a good duel. An opponent Kenshin can't read and is faster than him, that slowly breaks due to failling to understand Kenshin. If it weren't for Sano and Yumi blurting out every other seconds, I'd be more tense as to whether Sojiro's emotion return would make him a tougher opponent or not, or a bit of both i.e. stronger/faster, yet now at least readable.
Dec 1, 2023 9:31 PM
May 2017
I was watching the Bang Zoom! dub but all of sudden it changed to Sony dub. It's a completely terrible in comparison. And bad own it's own anyway.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 30 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Mar 6, 2010

36 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 30, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 24 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Mar 3, 2010

29 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 26, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 17 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Feb 28, 2010

17 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 19, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 15 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Feb 27, 2010

19 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 18, 4:30 PM

» *spoilers inside* shishio.....

Videogamecoper - Mar 13

2 by Nikolo123 »»
Mar 14, 2:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.