Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 2, 2017 2:23 AM

Dec 2012
I ll be watching this .. As much as my dislike for SAO goes, This does not have the cringey Kirito and is written by Kino no tabi author .. Anyone watching for similar reasons?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 2, 2017 2:24 AM

Jul 2012
Yeah, seems like a great improvement!
Oct 3, 2017 2:25 AM

Feb 2016
Same, while I'm still not getting my expectations too high, the abundance of seemingly super-perfect marry sue and generic waifu characters from the artwork of this anime (excluding protag-chan, who seems waifu material but at least she isnt a marry sue) got me interested. Gonna watch this and groan all the way to the final, for better or for worse
Oct 3, 2017 2:27 AM

Jan 2013
Wait, no Kirito and Asuna in this one? Okay I'll give it a try.
Oct 3, 2017 2:38 AM

Sep 2017
Its a 50 50 for me. Hopefully they set up the moods and has enemies that we know wont be defeated but will be defeated by wits. Having no recurring sao characters makes me at ease
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 3, 2017 2:45 AM

Feb 2016
I have some bad news. I just found out Kirito and Asuna make multiple apearances in this. I really hope it would only be cameos
Oct 3, 2017 2:48 AM

Dec 2012
Yuvalis said:
I have some bad news. I just found out Kirito and Asuna make multiple apearances in this. I really hope it would only be cameos

*Screams Internally*

Ahem .. Can anyone who has read the source material please confirm? Judging from the cover and the synopsis , Hopefully It is just a cameo or two..

The change in author still gives me hope though .. Who knows Kirito would be less Cringey because its by a different author (Even if he does come in the cameos) ..

Oct 3, 2017 2:57 AM

Feb 2016
I'm so interested because of the Kino no Tabi author. I never was that interested in SAO but I am. Kinda.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Oct 3, 2017 8:18 AM

Sep 2016
No Kirito in this? I can hear the Kirito fanboys and fangirls not wanting to watch it because of that. If Kirito makes a cameo appearance then they'll be like "Only watching for Kirito and Harem".

Wouldn't mind if Asuna or Kirito's rejected women club makes an appearance. I genuinely have an interest in this new series, I haven't read the light novel yet to avoid spoilers but it really seems interesting. However, I have to be honest I am also watching because we don't see Kirito being overpowered.
Oct 3, 2017 8:24 AM

Feb 2016
It not having not Alice in it doesnt motivate me at all too watch it, will still watch it but ykno itll be that serie you just forget too follow weekly and fall behind on and then when its finished binge watch
Oct 3, 2017 7:42 PM

Dec 2014
I kinda didn't want the main cast in here at all. I always felt like GGO could have had a different cast with different interactions and relationships.

I have small reviews for almost ALL anime I've seen. Unlike any regular MAL page you've seen.

Ever wondering what I've watched and what I think about it? Check my List out below!

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Iam_Jermaine
Oct 3, 2017 8:37 PM

Jul 2014
Yuvalis said:
I have some bad news. I just found out Kirito and Asuna make multiple appearances in this. I really hope it would only be cameos

FUCK THIS SHIT!!!

but seriously, back on topic, answering the question, yes. One would hope it would be better than Reki's writing.
Oct 3, 2017 9:23 PM

Mar 2014
Will be a nice breath of fresh air to have a VRMMO setting without having to stick with the same "Kirito/Jesus-kun saves new girl to add to the harem" formula.

Also like the prospect that the MC has issues with her height like I do irl.
Oct 4, 2017 3:10 AM
Aug 2015
I was hesitating at first over whether I want to watch this or not, but I guess I'll do it because I liked the GGO arc best. I'm one of those who actually weren't bothered by Kirito because 1. I saw way worse characters in my years of watching anime, he's not the worst thing in the world and 2. he's voiced by my favorite VA of all time, his voice was almost the sole purpose I actually watched the entirety of SAO, that's how much I adore Matsuoka Yoshitsugu. I heavily dislike lolis, so trading Kirito for some loli who's probably there for fanservice didn't sound like a very good trade. But eh, I'll sit through it I guess, maybe it's good.
Oct 4, 2017 3:27 AM
Jan 2016
I am going to watch this because I am interested in the SAO universe but I do not trust the staff of the main series to deliver a solid or entertaining anime for me. So, since this is a spin-off & this has the chance to have completely different staff with different direction, I am in.
Oct 4, 2017 9:41 PM
Jul 2018
Well... it's to do with the writer, really.

When I saw the cover I thought it looked gorgeous, but as I thought it was just another SAO, I discarded it. But it appears that my intuition was correct, so the cover gave me the right impression... Meaning this might be worth watching. Not being hopeful, though (well, can't help being a bit)... But expectations are being kept low, at least.
Oct 4, 2017 10:06 PM

Feb 2016
I don't have a problem with the SAO cast (Although I didn't like Suguha much in the Alfheim Arc of S1...) so I'm actually just giving a try since it's still in the SAO Universe.

Not really sure what to except since I've never seen a spin-off (or whatever) of a main series title before like this.

I think it'll be nice to see some more GGO though, without the whole
being the whole basis of the arc.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Oct 5, 2017 2:42 AM

Jan 2012
Interesting. So do you think it's a cash grab? I'm assuming it's non-canon?
Oct 5, 2017 4:30 AM

Dec 2012
Shiro4 said:
Interesting. So do you think it's a cash grab? I'm assuming it's non-canon?

Its a spin-off .. And most likely canon from what I have heard.. But I would be happier if it would have completely cut off from the SAO universe..

Dec 10, 2017 6:17 PM

Mar 2015
Also watching because of no Kirito. lmao
"Let me dream with this magic of maid outfits.
-Kagamine Rin
Dec 10, 2017 6:27 PM
Jun 2015
I liked gungale , so I am looking forward to it
Dec 30, 2017 10:45 AM
Jan 2017
Gang gang
You already know who it is
[not Kirito thank Jesus]
Jan 3, 2018 4:10 PM

Jun 2008
SAO is my lowest-rated anime ever, my sole 1/10, yet I always felt like it could have been good if it just didn't have Kirito.

This show will not have Kirito. This might be good. I might watch this.
Jan 3, 2018 5:17 PM

Dec 2015
Yeah, I wonder how they'll go with out the original cast. I am also to see Sinon in it. Plus, it's not bad to see Overlord's competition.
I ship @Cewkie and @DarkZeroCalibur
Jan 10, 2018 11:59 AM
Feb 2017
Wth!!NO KIRITO,NO ASUNA!!CANT CALL THIS SAO ANYMORE
Jan 10, 2018 12:16 PM
Feb 2017
Hey florete,what do u mean by lowest rated 1 out of 10?
R u kidding with me?did u hated sao like that coz the main character was a boy?
U cant rate anime with that low rate coz of that reason.
I rate anime who ever the hero is with what it deserve from the story,fight animation,color,music and etc.
Can u tell me how kirito make the anime rate have 1 out 10?
Lol,and why did u rate gintama 2 out of 10?
PROUDxOTAKUJan 10, 2018 12:35 PM
Jan 22, 2018 1:31 AM

Jun 2008
OtakuakihikoZERO said:
I rate anime who ever the hero is with what it deserve from the story,fight animation,color,music and etc.

They're both trash.

If I hated SAO "coz the main character was a boy" I don't think I'd have shows like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Clannad After Story rated 10/10.
Jan 28, 2018 9:09 AM
Oct 2016
100% gonna watch I really liked the Phantom Bullet Arc
Jan 31, 2018 10:13 PM
Jul 2016
Yea, and the fact that it's Studio 3Hz
Feb 1, 2018 12:08 AM

May 2016
First of all. If you don’t like SAO why are you people watching the spin off, the sequels, and the movie? Pfft even watched the special fan service episode.
Reshiram_IXFeb 1, 2018 12:11 AM
Feb 1, 2018 2:02 AM
Dec 2015
Reshiram_IX said:
First of all. If you don’t like SAO why are you people watching the spin off, the sequels, and the movie? Pfft even watched the special fan service episode.

This one will be nothing like any prior SAO entries, being written by a Keiichi Sisgawa (Kino no Tabi) and adapted by Studio 3Hz (Princess Principal and Flip Flappers), it attracts several different demographic groups besides the usual SAO squad.

To answer your question, SAO, as pretty much anything this big and controversial, does have besides fans also antifans of sort, people who love to hate on it and seek every another season just to be cynical about its 'qualities'.
DurangaVoeFeb 1, 2018 2:15 AM
Feb 2, 2018 12:33 AM
Feb 2017
Florete said:
OtakuakihikoZERO said:

They're both trash.

If I hated SAO "coz the main character was a boy" I don't think I'd have shows like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Clannad After Story rated 10/10.

Lol,well i am not that gintama fans but tell me what make the anime SAO trash coz of kirito exist?
Feb 2, 2018 12:35 AM
Feb 2017
And if u rated them both 1 and 2 star and u feel its trash,how do it come to rate 7 and half for sao and nearl 9 for gintama?
Is your taste realy that different?
Feb 8, 2018 6:42 AM

Nov 2016
There's no original cast? its on my to watch list then
Feb 8, 2018 7:38 AM

Dec 2013
I love Kino, so I gotta check this out. The original cast getting axed just makes it better. Not that it would have been completely impossible to salvage them though - but SAO Abridged already exists, so it would have been redundant.
Feb 8, 2018 11:20 AM

May 2012
NO

I'm watching it because it is SAO
Feb 9, 2018 7:19 AM

Dec 2009
KazuroWeisemann said:
I ll be watching this .. As much as my dislike for SAO goes, This does not have the cringey Kirito and is written by Kino no tabi author .. Anyone watching for similar reasons?

YES

i was intersted in SAO anime

but I hate Kirito and Asuna and could never stand them ><

so this will do
Feb 9, 2018 7:23 AM

Sep 2009
..... I mean, it still looks bad.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 9, 2018 7:24 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Not really because of the cast, its more like since its just related to the series.
Feb 11, 2018 3:03 AM

Nov 2014
Not having the SAO cast is only the first step in the right direction. Whether it'll be any good remains to be seen.

I'll give this a go.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 14, 2018 4:22 PM

Feb 2013
Sao without the awesome Kirito? No way...
Feb 15, 2018 2:06 PM

Dec 2015
Wait why do people find kirito cringy and annoying?
Feb 15, 2018 2:07 PM

Dec 2015
BurningSpirit said:
Not having the SAO cast is only the first step in the right direction. Whether it'll be any good remains to be seen.

I'll give this a go.

Why do many hate the sao cast? And especially kirito?
Feb 15, 2018 5:29 PM

Nov 2014
Yorin_ said:
Hate? Nah, I just think the main cast is problematic.

With Kirito on-screen, there's never a sense of suspense. And even when they attempt to shift away from him, he still pops up to save the day at the most critical moment anyways.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 17, 2018 1:23 AM
Jun 2014
Moe blob and non original SOA setting. Fuck this shit.
Feb 17, 2018 1:27 AM
Jun 2014
BurningSpirit said:
Yorin_ said:
Hate? Nah, I just think the main cast is problematic.

With Kirito on-screen, there's never a sense of suspense. And even when they attempt to shift away from him, he still pops up to save the day at the most critical moment anyways.

Which is in stark contrast of 90% of the normal animes with the protagonist being a relative weakling with superpowered girls at his side. Don't you find those pieces of absolute trash problematic as well?
Feb 17, 2018 6:38 AM

Nov 2014
Stormen said:
Which is in stark contrast of 90% of the normal animes with the protagonist being a relative weakling with superpowered girls at his side. Don't you find those pieces of absolute trash problematic as well?
Yeah, they are. Me having problems with some MCs who are overpowered doesn't mean I have no problems with weak MCs, just as all leopards having spots doesn't mean all non-leopards can't have spots.

My MAL Interview
Feb 17, 2018 9:17 AM
Jun 2014
BurningSpirit said:
Stormen said:
Yeah, they are. Me having problems with some MCs who are overpowered doesn't mean I have no problems with weak MCs, just as all leopards having spots doesn't mean all non-leopards can't have spots.
'

I don't really disagree with you. It's just having so many from my example, it's kind of refreshing having a strong protagonist.
Feb 17, 2018 10:37 AM
Dec 2015
Stormen said:
BurningSpirit said:
'

I don't really disagree with you. It's just having so many from my example, it's kind of refreshing having a strong protagonist.

Irrationally overpowered (and still self-insert) protagonist?
That doesn't sound particularly refreshing, even compared to weak self-insert MCs that you can see in an average garbage harem show.
Like that's pretty much getting out of the frying pan into the fire.
Feb 17, 2018 1:08 PM
Jun 2014
DurangaVoe said:
Stormen said:
'

Irrationally overpowered (and still self-insert) protagonist?
That doesn't sound particularly refreshing, even compared to weak self-insert MCs that you can see in an average garbage harem show.
Like that's pretty much getting out of the frying pan into the fire.

Well, i definitely prefer one over the other. Don't know about you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

65 by DARM11 »»
Aug 10, 6:09 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 10 Discussion

22 by DARM11 »»
Aug 10, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2018

216 by tiaamyom »»
Jul 21, 5:49 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

405 by tiaamyom »»
Jul 14, 2:47 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 11 Discussion

18 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 12:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.