Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2017 6:09 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Highly entertaining and touching film. Reminded me of Millenium Actress for some reason. The idea of a person on their deathbed, going back and forth in time in their minds while the clock is ticking down was really well done. Yes, the animation and music have aged enormously, but it is definitely worth it.

Remy was a wonderful character too. Not just a fanservice girl, but a strong and independent woman.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 5, 2017 2:49 PM

Feb 2013
Pretty entertaining, but the characters were pretty bland honestly. The setup was interesting and I wondered how it could possibly be a sequel to a mecha anime. Seems like an artistic project that they decided to do more-or-less just using the IP. Some good action, reminded me of Dawn of the Dead at times. No deep meaning beyond "never giving up".

I'll be generous and say 6/10 just because it was a cool mix of western/japanese.
May 9, 2019 11:25 AM
Mar 2019
I loved this one, very good story with touch of mysticism and the music that lets you wander into new realities rarely seen in today's anime or entertainment industry in general.

Aug 25, 2019 5:33 AM

Aug 2012
What a bizarre and weird film. As a sequel to the TV series this makes next to no sense, pretty much GoShogun in name only with 6 characters borrowed from the show to tell a completely different story.

I'm actually curious how this thing even got made? Like did someone have an idea and the only way to get it off the ground was to use an already established franchise to help 'sell' the film. Thing is the original series is basically a kids Giant Robot series and this film is nothing of the sort, instead it's a Thriller with light horror and supernatural elements. Not to mention nudity and blood. Kenta would be shocked!

Speaking of what happened to Kenta? Main character of the original series not mentioned once. How come they are all friends now? How come it's 40 years in the future yet they all look like they are in their 50's at the most and Remy herself doesn't look a day older.

What a bizarrely weird film, I didn't hate it or anything. It was fine but as an entry in the GoShogun franchise I'm just confused, so very very very confused.
Sep 9, 2019 8:23 PM

Mar 2016
It was definitely more straightforward than the TV series lol. A coherent, tightly made movie that could have easily gone up its own ass, but felt pretty grounded all things considered. I liked how simple it was, in terms of narrative, with everything fitting tightly into place with no unnecessary nonsense: Remy who lives like a hermit and has some kind of disease because of it(?) is in a rush to see her old friends whom she has called together before she dies gets in an accident and then we see her struggle (literally) to overcome her predetermined death (and I guess at the same time we learn of how she was able to escape a fate of living and dying as a prostitute like her mother).

Though stuff like Remy having a catchphrase and the crow cawking seemed like manufactured 'throwbacks' since I don't remember them at all in the show. Tranquilizers make their comeback though. Not sure why the villains would be getting those Galaxy Awards too, but whatever.

The TV series came out in 81, this in 85. The frequent reference to time in the series and the fact that people who watched the original would have grown up some (like the aging heroes and Kenta's 'coming of age' in the series) and the motif of the clocks and death in this movie is the most I can do to try to connect these thematically.
syncrogazerSep 9, 2019 8:43 PM
Dec 6, 2021 11:56 AM

Aug 2017
Alternative ending: Remy shoots herself instead of dying by the cat to prove she's in conrol of her own destiny.

Wished the movie was a bit more surrealistic, but I enjoyed it even without any prior knowledge of the series. That "bang" though, too bad it didn't become iconic like a certain another one :D Nice ending melody, too. The designs were quite appealing, and I loved the animation, not dated by any means.

and I guess at the same time we learn of how she was able to escape a fate of living and dying as a prostitute like her mother

By punching the bulies in the face, it seems. Or maybe her supposed death by the cat with all the nudity involved was a metaphor for assault (it was more clear when she was surrounded by a mob of these men)

Quite a few Kanada-inspired animators working on the movie as well, interesting. And of course Koji Morimoto animated the most surreal part of the film with Remy turning inro red lines. Shinsaku Kōzuma's excellent action animation also stands out.

Farabeuf said:

Highly entertaining and touching film. Reminded me of Millenium Actress for some reason.

Probably because Mami Koyama played Chiyoko from Millenium Actress as well!
St0rmbladeDec 6, 2021 12:48 PM

More topics from this board

» This is a sequel to a mech anime

jyagan0 - Aug 12, 2017

0 by jyagan0 »»
Aug 12, 2017 5:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.