Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people like to compare old and new anime

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 24, 2017 9:07 PM

Mar 2017
TripleSRank said:
Someone who thinks they know it all as an apparent newcomer and scoffs at the claims of those with more experience with the fandom probably isn't worth spending time on to try to convince. I'm not sure why you felt the need to trumpet your inexperienced views in such an antagonistic tone, but if you want anyone worth talking to to take you seriously then you might want to try to learn to adopt a bit of humility or self-awareness.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for at least one response on my part.

Having interacted with the online fandom extensively for over three and a half years, the vast majority of fans with prejudices lies in the "won't watch older anime" camp. As an extremely large group within the modern fandom they continually decry the existence of "elitists" that mostly do not exist: In this group's eyes, anyone who watches, recommends, and highly praises older anime is an elitist regardless of the attitude, thus causing the majority of people who enjoy older anime, moderates who also enjoy newer anime, to be falsely labeled as such. The fans prejudiced against old anime then ridicule these moderates' taste and ironically make themselves into the actual elitists in the process.

Although I have seen some who legitimately do hold new anime and those who enjoy them in disdain, it is a particularly rare occurrence and is entirely unrelated to the above phenomenon. Said group is so small it is almost nonexistent, which is in stark contrast to the seemingly endless number of people who fall into the behavior patterns I described in the above paragraph.

Maybe you're new, inexperienced, and overzealous; maybe you've had a bad experience with one of the rare old-anime elitists and that has colored your perception of much of rest of the fandom; or maybe you yourself are one of the prejudiced people I mentioned above; what makes you think what you say, I don't know. What I do know is that for one reason or another your view of the overall community is misguided and inaccurate.

Never confuse my MAL account as the sum total of all my interactions with the community by and large.

Second, the nature of my training and upbringing opposes grand sweeping claims backed by nothing more than mere anecdotal "evidence". Notice how that is the only part of your statement that I took offense at, highlighted, and replied to?

I could not care less about the old vs new debates. I do not take sides in such irrelevant nonsense. I only take jabs.

The number of "new anime is awesome and old anime sucks" elitists far far outnumbers the number of "old anime is awesome and new anime sucks" elitists.

You want to prove one group outnumbers the other? Then give me solid numbers, ratios, percentages, hard data, anything that can be independently verified, anything that doesn't ride on good faith and good will, anything that isn't blown away by disparity in experience or immersion.
EankiJun 24, 2017 9:21 PM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jun 25, 2017 1:17 AM

Nov 2011
le_halfhand_easy said:
TripleSRank said:
Someone who thinks they know it all as an apparent newcomer and scoffs at the claims of those with more experience with the fandom probably isn't worth spending time on to try to convince. I'm not sure why you felt the need to trumpet your inexperienced views in such an antagonistic tone, but if you want anyone worth talking to to take you seriously then you might want to try to learn to adopt a bit of humility or self-awareness.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for at least one response on my part.

Having interacted with the online fandom extensively for over three and a half years, the vast majority of fans with prejudices lies in the "won't watch older anime" camp. As an extremely large group within the modern fandom they continually decry the existence of "elitists" that mostly do not exist: In this group's eyes, anyone who watches, recommends, and highly praises older anime is an elitist regardless of the attitude, thus causing the majority of people who enjoy older anime, moderates who also enjoy newer anime, to be falsely labeled as such. The fans prejudiced against old anime then ridicule these moderates' taste and ironically make themselves into the actual elitists in the process.

Although I have seen some who legitimately do hold new anime and those who enjoy them in disdain, it is a particularly rare occurrence and is entirely unrelated to the above phenomenon. Said group is so small it is almost nonexistent, which is in stark contrast to the seemingly endless number of people who fall into the behavior patterns I described in the above paragraph.

Maybe you're new, inexperienced, and overzealous; maybe you've had a bad experience with one of the rare old-anime elitists and that has colored your perception of much of rest of the fandom; or maybe you yourself are one of the prejudiced people I mentioned above; what makes you think what you say, I don't know. What I do know is that for one reason or another your view of the overall community is misguided and inaccurate.

Never confuse my MAL account as the sum total of all my interactions with the community by and large.

Second, the nature of my training and upbringing opposes grand sweeping claims backed by nothing more than mere anecdotal "evidence". Notice how that is the only part of your statement that I took offense at, highlighted, and replied to?

I could not care less about the old vs new debates. I do not take sides in such irrelevant nonsense. I only take jabs.

The number of "new anime is awesome and old anime sucks" elitists far far outnumbers the number of "old anime is awesome and new anime sucks" elitists.

You want to prove one group outnumbers the other? Then give me solid numbers, ratios, percentages, hard data, anything that can be independently verified, anything that doesn't ride on good faith and good will, anything that isn't blown away by disparity in experience or immersion.

I'm not looking to prove anything to you because the group I described is very easy to see whenever old vs. new comes up, and I don't feel like spending hours on end digging up threads. (And it would take hours on end not because of a lack of such threads, but because in searching for them you are drowned in a deluge of threads in the rec board asking for recommendations related to older anime.)

If you claim to be unbiased and unaffected by the old vs. new debates then just watch whenever someone goes around professing a love for old anime or the opinion that they think older anime is better than newer anime. They consistently get vilified, falsely labeled as elitists, and ridiculed regardless of their general attitude or their approach to those who like newer anime.
Jun 25, 2017 1:57 AM

Mar 2017
TripleSRank said:

If you claim to be unbiased and unaffected by the old vs. new debates then just watch whenever someone goes around professing a love for old anime or the opinion that they think older anime is better than newer anime. They consistently get vilified, falsely labeled as elitists, and ridiculed regardless of their general attitude or their approach to those who like newer anime.

You mean like the overreaction in this thread:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1627707&goto=post&id=51127008

Yes. Yes, I see. You know what, forget it. My main beef is the almost casual disregard you say one group outnumbers the other without factual basis on the degree. Because the term "outnumber" is, no shit Sherlock, a numbers test.

It's the difference between saying "A lot of people did not like Granblue" and "1,570 users, 16.7% of its viewer base, voted Granblue for a 6/10".
EankiJun 25, 2017 2:03 AM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jun 25, 2017 3:25 AM

Nov 2011
le_halfhand_easy said:
TripleSRank said:

You mean like the overreaction in this thread:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1627707&goto=post&id=51127008

Yes. Yes, I see. You know what, forget it. My main beef is the almost casual disregard you say one group outnumbers the other without factual basis on the degree. Because the term "outnumber" is, no shit Sherlock, a numbers test.

It's the difference between saying "A lot of people did not like Granblue" and "1,570 users, 16.7% of its viewer base, voted Granblue for a 6/10".

If you can see that, then getting the rest of the way is not hard.

First of all, what you're asking for is not traditionally possible. Even if compulsive polling was introduced asking people whether or not they're x type of elitist, you could never be sure how accurate the data is due to people lacking self-awareness or outright lying, and similarly it is nearly impossible to determine hard numbers without such a systematic approach. Thus estimation should be an acceptable alternative as the next-best course.

It is at that point that my logic becomes relevant. If you yourself can see this treatment of fans of old anime as actually being elitism on the part of modern fans who engage in it, then the point should be practically self-evident. When that happens consistently in fandom interactions for years and years, and it has, and cases of fans of old anime actually acting elitist toward fans of modern anime in the fandom is comparatively rare, and it is, then it makes far more sense to estimate that modern anime elitists are a much, much bigger group than old anime elitists than it would be to estimate that there are even greater mass numbers of old anime elitists who never ever speak up.

We aren't sociologists studying the anime fandom, and I never made claims anywhere near as specific as to name an exact percentage, though even if I had made up some rough ones your response would be missing the point. By any practical measure the modern anime elitists are indeed a much larger group, and keeping in mind the above logic along with the fact that we are not conducting a formal study, there's nothing wrong with stating that confidently. My claim is absolutely not baseless or even anecdotal (I'm hardly the only one capable of observing it or the only one that has) despite not being based on hard figures.

Thus of all of the things for you to ridicule or get triggered by, this seems pretty petty.
TripleSRankJun 25, 2017 3:28 AM
Jun 25, 2017 10:35 AM
Apr 2007
maybe because you're young and you haven't watch the classics. I, for one feel the shift and the new trend as I've been watching anime for more than 15 years. So.... I saw how they gradually change and sadly only few good ones get animated and the worst part, they're not as popular as LN or anything tag as harem :'(
Jun 25, 2017 11:23 AM

Sep 2016
Why do people like to compare old and new anime....

Why do people like to compare old and new cars?
Why do people like to compare older and younger people?
Why do people like to compare old and new buildings/building techniques?
Why do people like to compare former and modern societies?

It's because that's what people do. They compare things to identify changes.
Changes for the better, for the worse, or changes that just make things different.

When it comes to anime, people use those comparisons to set an arbitrary point at which something changed enough to alter what they found good/bad in anime.

Some point out those differences while in search of like-minded people that enjoy the same aspects as them.
Some point out those differences to explain why their opinion is the way it is.
Some point out the differences just to bait/antagonize others.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Jul 1, 2017 7:28 AM

Oct 2014
because thatanimesnob,started this stupid crusade against modern anime and a lot of people believed he was right?
or maybe it is just because most mecha fans are still buthurt we barely get sci-fi and mecha anymore because now we have way more slice of life harem series
there is a tendency of confrontation between fans of older and newer anime,so it would be obvious these forums would reflect that
Jul 1, 2017 7:33 AM

Oct 2014
jc9622 said:
I don't get it either..Instead of complaining how "modern anime sucks", those old/nostalgia fucks should just sit on their porch and contemplate how they failed on their miserble-ass lives because they clearly have superiority complex issues (their family, boss or just someone hates them so much that they go to MAL and try to feel superior themselves which is completely sad)

Me, personally, I prefer the modern anime art style (That's why I only watch modern anime..I avoid old anime when I see it) because the old art style looks like someone took a shit on it and left it there for over a decade. Yes, that's what I think about old anime (rotten shit) and that's why no one will be able to convince me to watch old anime.

no reason to make those guys even more depressed about their depressed lifes,so at least let they vent their frustations by pretending to be superior in mal forums in peace
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is your waifu photogenic?

Catalano - Today

16 by Rhae »»
14 minutes ago

» Best black haired girl? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Jan 25

64 by DX_impulse »»
15 minutes ago

» How much time do you spend discussing anime?

RobertBobert - 31 minutes ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
18 minutes ago

» World Masterpiece Theater are hidden gems.

Zhenro - May 4

33 by Lucifrost »»
23 minutes ago

» Would you support AI generated Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 1

54 by malvarez1 »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.