Forum Settings
Forums

Do you let your political ideas or religious beliefs to interfere with the enjoyment of an anime ?

New
Dec 27, 2016 6:24 AM

Dec 2016
Personally i don't care about what ideologies has an anime if it is good i like it.

DrSexyMar 1, 2017 11:56 AM
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Dec 27, 2016 6:26 AM

May 2015
Yes. I hate Evangelion because I am agnostic not Christian.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 27, 2016 6:30 AM

Apr 2011
I don't like politics and I'm not that religious, so no to both.
Dec 27, 2016 6:30 AM

Nov 2014
No.

Bread is a staple food prepared from a dough of flour and water, usually by baking. Throughout recorded history it has been popular around the world and is one of the oldest artificial foods, having been of importance since the dawn of agriculture.

Proportions of types of flour and other ingredients vary widely, as do modes of preparation. As a result, types, shapes, sizes, and textures of breads differ around the world. Bread may be leavened by processes such as reliance on naturally occurring sourdough microbes, chemicals, industrially produced yeast, or high-pressure aeration. Some bread is cooked before it can leaven, including for traditional or religious reasons. Non-cereal ingredients such as fruits, nuts and fats may be included. Commercial bread commonly contains additives to improve flavor, texture, color, shelf life, and ease of manufacturing.

Bread is served in various forms with any meal of the day. It is eaten as a snack, and used as an ingredient in other culinary preparations, such as sandwiches, and fried items coated in bread crumbs to prevent sticking. It forms the bland main component of bread pudding, as well as of stuffings designed to fill cavities or retain juices that otherwise might drip out.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 27, 2016 7:12 AM

Sep 2012
Can we get a anime based on election of USA?

Thanks Japan.
Dec 27, 2016 7:20 AM

Mar 2008
nope, i leave this side of me to twitter and others forums about these themes. Being a political fanatic while watching animes or discuss in an anime forum is absolutely hilarious, imo.
Dec 27, 2016 7:29 AM

Dec 2012
Nope, although the great part about anime is it seldom makes a political/religious statement. The themes & lessons tend to be far more universal to being human (improving yourself, working hard, fulfilling dreams, etc) and most of it is left to the viewer whether they want to deem it relevant. That's my main gripe with Hollywood, which basically focuses on pumping out a progressive agenda every chance they get.
Dec 27, 2016 7:36 AM

Jun 2015
No

set by secret santa ; thank you! ily ♥️
Dec 27, 2016 7:37 AM
Mar 2016
nope..................................................
Dec 27, 2016 7:38 AM

Jan 2016
To an extent; that is, if an anime is being offensive to a culture, or say a religion, that I am fond of then I feel like I should stop.
Dec 27, 2016 7:39 AM

Jul 2016
waifu wars is as far as politics goes in anime rip
Dec 27, 2016 9:49 AM

Nov 2009
RainyRai said:
Yes. I hate Evangelion because I am agnostic not Christian.

This blew my mind so hard I almost took the bait.
Dec 27, 2016 9:51 AM

Feb 2010
I do not have any religious values and just a few political ones. But I do have my personal ethical/moral values and there has been a case or two where those made me detest a certain anime. I'm not saying which one because I don't want to argue about Shigatsu again.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 27, 2016 9:52 AM

Nov 2016
Hmmm... I used to somehow stop watchin anime that I considered more or less offensive to my religion but I don't now... Hah, I was so dumb back then...

Politics? What's that? Is it edible?

« If you want to be yourself, then you must become strong and beautiful. »
- Vil Schoenheit
🕂Anime List🕂Manga List🕂VN List🕂
♥ Credits to Shuuka
Dec 27, 2016 10:01 AM

Aug 2014
I don't enjoy anything because I don't stand for anything
Dec 27, 2016 11:09 AM

Jun 2012
Yes if it does violate a doctrine of my own sect and as long as I've known, I am the Divine president of my own world.
Dec 27, 2016 11:11 AM

Dec 2012
It does not so its ok .. But if it did I would avoid that particular anime...

"They say that if you change yourself, you'll change the world, but that's a complete lie. They're just forcing you to compromise by feeding you a convenient little fib. Let me show you how to really change the world." -Hikigaya Hachiman

Dec 27, 2016 11:12 AM

Apr 2016
Well most examples of religion in anime is more because it looks cool as opposed for other reasons, there aren't that many christians in Japan
Dec 27, 2016 11:14 AM

Jun 2016
Nah. I'm able to keep the two separate, though that's not the case for many people. I like to see things from new perspectives, too. I think that's really important.

behind these hills
i'm reaching for the heights

Dec 27, 2016 11:22 AM

Jan 2010
That's actually something i've been thinking about too since becoming more cognizant of my surroundings and what people have to say politically. But I'd like to think that i've kept it separate. It's easier to keep them separate when you're watching slice-of-life/comedy anime haha. Otherwise, no it wouldn't influence my decisions to watch/continue watching an anime.
Dec 27, 2016 11:29 AM

Aug 2014
Anime unlike Hollywood movies tend to be free from many kinds of propaganda, i dont remember any Anime had a biased and forced political ideology on the viewer.
Dec 27, 2016 11:31 AM
Jul 2018
I don't care much for it unless the anime is preachy about it religion/political ideas in which case I usually hate it even if I agree with the anime.
Dec 27, 2016 11:32 AM

Sep 2009
Yes, but rarely. I couldn't enjoy Steins;Gate because I don't believe in microwaves or bananas.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 27, 2016 11:33 AM

Oct 2012
MortalMelancholy said:
Yes, but rarely. I couldn't enjoy Steins;Gate because I don't believe in microwaves or bananas.

You at least believe in the Choice of Steiner then, so that counts for something.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 27, 2016 11:42 AM

Apr 2015
Politics aren't really covered that often in anime, and not in any anime I've tackled save for the light-to-moderate amount in Code Geass and the light amount in Evangelion and SDF Macross.

As for religion, again, most of the series I've watched haven't covered religion that strongly. Not even the slight amount in Eva. Though I do occasionally wonder if my extreme distaste for Daybreak Illusion was because I have a strong aversion to Tarot Cards, but then I recall all the stupid writing in that series and I'm like "Yeah, no, I'm pretty confident that isn't the problem".
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Dec 27, 2016 1:29 PM

Jan 2016
No. I don't care about ideologies , I only care about the idea of executing the ideologies
Dec 27, 2016 1:34 PM

May 2016
No I don't care as long as its not insulting my religion
Dec 27, 2016 1:41 PM

Dec 2015
Yeah, I refuse to watch Hayao Miyazaki movies because they contain environmentalist messages and I'm an advocate of ruining the planet with pollution.
Dec 27, 2016 7:02 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
No... anime is fiction and can be made however the fuck the author wants

And I have no religious beliefs
Dec 27, 2016 8:12 PM

May 2016
Now and Then Here and There has a strong anti-abortion bias (well, at least Shu does), but it doesn't bother me, really, because it's consistent with his character. He's the kind of naive person who doesn't believe in taking any person's life--hell, he'll gladly step in and try to save the life of an assassin who just held his friend hostage, what chance does a fetus have of not being white-knighted?

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 27, 2016 8:14 PM

Feb 2015
Dude nothing will interfere when I fap. Even if it's God calling from Heaven or a nuke flying towards our house...
Dec 27, 2016 8:30 PM
Jul 2016
"Let?" That's certainly an... "odd" way of putting it. Anyway, instead of answering your narrow question about politics and religion, I'm going to open it to beliefs/identity as a whole. Politics and religion seem to be a rather arbitrary line by which to divide the topic. It's like asking if your opinion of rap influences your enjoyment of anime, rather than all of your opinions on music.

Edit: Not trying to give you a hard time or anything, just explaining why I'm answering a slightly different question than the one you're asking.

In answer to the broader question: If a work of fiction (anime or otherwise) insults me, it lessens my enjoyment of said work of fiction. It doesn't matter if it's targeting my race, my nation, my profession, my beliefs (religious or otherwise,) or anything else: it's going to negatively impact my view of the work and the author. It's just human nature to respond negatively to insults in some form or another, even if the reaction is fleeting or barely perceptible. Can I look past such things and still enjoy the rest of the work of fiction? Sure. I've got thick enough skin that I shrug a lot of the lesser stuff off, but it's not totally without effect.

To clarify, I'm not talking about anime/fiction that simply advances a set of beliefs I disagree with: I'm talking about ones that attack my own beliefs/etc. When it comes to fiction that advances a set of beliefs I disagree with, it depends on the beliefs in question. If I find the advocated viewpoint highly reprehensible (i.e. if a hypothetical work were to advocate some sort of genocide,) then I get irritated, which negatively impacts my experience. If I find the beliefs annoying (i.e. the "killing in self-defense is murder" nonsense I see pop up from time to time,) I get... well, annoyed.

Now, this is not to say I don't respect the author's right to include whatever he/she wants in his/her work. Make whatever the heck you want, just be aware that I'm not necessarily going to applaud you for it.

So, in summary, my identity, beliefs, and so forth impact my enjoyment of anime. I can't imagine anyone (short of a complete nihilist, perhaps) being able to detach themselves from their identities enough to evaluate something without that sort of baggage. I mean, come on, I'm fairly certain that some of you would get pretty irritated if, for example, an otherwise-amazing anime seriously advanced the belief that the ecchi genre needed to be purged from existence.

Just my two cents. Take them seriously, discard them as the ravings of a brainless fool, or pick something in-between: your choice.

Edited for slight clarification.
PhendrusDec 27, 2016 10:13 PM
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Dec 27, 2016 8:33 PM

Aug 2016
it's not about letting it, It just influence all of us.

for example i stopped watching drifters despite the anime is good, just because The dark lord that is portrayed in the series is related to my religion, and I find it unpleasant.
Dec 27, 2016 9:13 PM

Sep 2016
I don't give a crap about it in real life so why should I even bother to care about it in anime..
Dec 28, 2016 2:15 AM

May 2016
Besides obivious stuff (I don't think I'll enjoy a show that is all about how great nazis are), it is more of my other beliefs that dictate my anime prefrence (Ex. I tend to avoid teacher-student romances and not a big fan of incest).
Dec 28, 2016 7:49 AM

Jun 2012
No. I'm apolitical and atheist, so I don't have any political ideas or religious beliefs to begin with.
Andan210Dec 28, 2016 7:53 AM
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Dec 28, 2016 8:18 AM

Jan 2016
Not really.... There's only one anime that really disgust me and it's on a philosophical level(on the question of Pride) which is Mob Psycho 100. I just think how the show presented Pride is wrong and that it disgusts me.
Dec 28, 2016 8:37 AM

Nov 2016
There is limits i should get them as a joke otherwise its interfere my enjoyment i cant stand for my religion keep insulted for example but i can laugh and pass some jokes about my religion or politic things
Dec 28, 2016 9:21 AM

Jul 2014
I personally don't care about religious beliefs as I'm non-religious and i wont even give a shit about political ideas as i now see politics as corruption.....all the bullshit that's been happening in politics...
Dec 28, 2016 11:11 AM

Sep 2016
anything in entertainment that gets too preachy with its views agitates me, even if I agree with it. I prefer my entertainment to be just that, something to enjoy and give me a breather from everyday life.
Dec 28, 2016 11:17 AM

Nov 2016
Nope. One of the things that a enjoy the most about anime or any story in general is letting go of my self for a bit in order to see the world from someone else's perspective so letting my own views get in the way would defeat the propose.
Dec 28, 2016 11:18 AM

Jul 2015
if it insult my religion then yes i will drop it immediately
other than that i dont care
Dec 28, 2016 11:28 AM

Jun 2015
only if it these political ideas and/or religious themes are constantly being shoved in my face without real resolve

More topics from this board

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 26 minutes ago

8 by Zedlin »»
1 minute ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

27 by Ratris_Decision »»
7 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Yesterday

45 by Shizuna »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

121 by Mishiia »»
10 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Apr 26

74 by TheFlyingSoda »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.