Forum Settings
Forums

How Does It Get Decided That A Manga Gets An Anime Adaptation?

New
Dec 27, 2016 5:42 AM

Nov 2016
As title says its probably an easy answer but is it based how how well readers like the manga? i probably just answered my own question but thoughts
Dec 27, 2016 5:50 AM

Jul 2013
does it have a size-able fan-base?

is it currently running/the author has another manga currently running?
those are they two big ones you need (most of the time)
Dec 27, 2016 5:56 AM

Jun 2015
They roll a 99999 sided dice with the names of the source material on each side. Whatever gets rolled gets adapted.

There are 14 sides for anime original.
Dec 27, 2016 6:02 AM
Mar 2016
Brb said:
They roll a 99999 sided dice with the names of the source material on each side. Whatever gets rolled gets adapted.

Amazing way to decide an adaptation. So every studio roll 99999 dice? :p
Dec 27, 2016 6:12 AM

Nov 2009
The decision is made by humans. Worse yet, the decision is made by a committee of people representing different organizations.

1) Manga/Novel publishers, who see anime mostly as advertising. To them, anime is unlikely to pay off by itself. Instead, they seek to animate a series that has potential to be more popular if more people knew about it.
You know, anime sales might be unimpressive, but there is a lot more people who actually see the anime. They just choose not to buy.

2) Goods producers. People who make figurines, dakimakura covers, and so on. They expect their money to pay off in the form of sales of anime-related goods. So they seek to animate stuff which has a lot of stuff to sell. That is, lots of cute girls, if it's an anime for men, or lots of cute boys if it's an anime for women, but merchandise for kids works differently.
I suspect that figures, dakimakura and other merchandise is actually made by different organizations specializing in technological processes involved.

3) Sometimes, animation studio has a voice too. Not every original work makes a good anime, and the studios have to care about reputations and sales. It seems that it's the studio that keeps most of the risks associated with actual anime sales.

4) I might be forgetting someone. Maybe TV stations, but they seem to be just paid to air the stuff at otaku o'clock. But at least for the really mainstream stuff, TV stations bring their money and get a voice too. Their voice is probably "mainstream stuff! long stuff!", but they probably care about esoteric stuff too.

And the trick is, all these people need to agree on one anime to make. For example, if a work is already popular, publishers are unlikely to want an anime of it. Unless it's super-popular, and they feel there is actual money to make by making an anime.
Dec 27, 2016 6:24 AM

May 2015
the amount of dicks that the manga fans suck.

Mangas/light novels get adaptations if the publishing company thinks the material is going to be profitable, they try to get adaptations for sales.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 27, 2016 6:49 AM

Jun 2015
Kingof1k said:
Brb said:

Amazing way to decide an adaptation. So every studio roll 99999 dice? :p

Yes. Hence, hence the rare chance something like Mahou Sensou gets adapted.
Dec 27, 2016 9:50 AM

Dec 2016
Simple if it has beta males surrounded by chicks with fake tits then i guarantee it would be a great money maker
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Dec 27, 2016 9:54 AM

Aug 2014
step one: is it profitable? yes => make plans for an adaptation
white spacew white space no => is it cheap? yes => adapt anyway | no => don't touch it
step two: gather the best cheapest production resources
step three: ?????
step four: profit
Dec 27, 2016 9:54 AM

Feb 2010
flannan pretty much said it all. There isn't a specific set of criteria that, when fulfilled, guarantees an anime adaption. People from various groups need to want an adaption and actively try to make it happen. A lot of the time they will want to do that because of a successful source material and/or wanting to advertise it further, but there can also be a range of other reasons on a case by case scenario.
I probably regret this post by now.

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

243 by Zarutaku »»
40 seconds ago

» Why are classic dubbed anime always being praised more than modern dubs?

funtime43_tr - 26 minutes ago

3 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
2 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

66 by Morphun »»
2 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - Yesterday

32 by APolygons2 »»
3 minutes ago

» Has anyone noticed how sequel bias is an anime only thing?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

28 by Yonahim_Zz »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.