Forum Settings
Forums
New
kogetsu + senku vs scorpion + mantis
Oct 14, 2016 12:11 PM

Sep 2013
just a little bit curious.
based on what we have seen until the latest chapter, in term of power, speed, flexibility in battle, mobility, attack pattern/variation, trigger set up, etc. which one is better in your opinion (maybe a/some fact) between kogetsu + senku vs scorpion with mantis?

edit : until chapter 161
"... Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."
Oct 14, 2016 1:14 PM
Apr 2016
I'd say Scorpion with Mantis is superior because you have 2 scorpions.

Granted, Ikoma is amazing with Senku, they stated that this is a unique skill that only he possesses, and that even amazing attackers like Tachikawa can't replicate that ability.

Scorpion + Mantis however, means you have 2 scorpions. This gives you, by far, more flexibility than anyone else. While Mantis appears to be a fairly unique skill that's only used by Kage and Yuma, the things Yuma does with Scorpion (bandage, mole claw, branch blade) is absolutely amazing and provides immense utility.
Oct 14, 2016 1:27 PM

Dec 2015
If it is in the context of one against the other, than without a doubt KogetsuSenku is better.

Caeless mentioned that scorpion is better because it has 2 scorpion but it is the opposite. Having a scorpion in each hand is a hindrance because it means you can't use shield or any other trigger (bullets, bagworm, etc.). Also, senku has better reach AND power than mantis.

Mantis is a great technique who's strenght resides in surprise attack. It is great for those who already fight with 2 scorpions but shouldn't be considered an equivalent/substitute of senku.
Oct 14, 2016 3:30 PM
Apr 2016
LuzNight said:
If it is in the context of one against the other, than without a doubt KogetsuSenku is better.

Caeless mentioned that scorpion is better because it has 2 scorpion but it is the opposite. Having a scorpion in each hand is a hindrance because it means you can't use shield or any other trigger (bullets, bagworm, etc.). Also, senku has better reach AND power than mantis.

Mantis is a great technique who's strenght resides in surprise attack. It is great for those who already fight with 2 scorpions but shouldn't be considered an equivalent/substitute of senku.

If this were the case, then everyone in Border would just use Kogetsu and Senku, but that's not the case. Many border agents use Scorpion. In fact, Jin created Scorpion so that he could beat Tachikawa who uses Kogetsu. At a minimum - Kogetsu vs Scorpion are equal.

Additionally, scorpion is so flexible that it's easy to dismiss. It can also be used as a bandage.

Lastly, Mantis isn't just used for surprise attacks. It's Kage's primary means of attack.

What it really comes down to is - Is having Senku as an optional Trigger, and taking up a second trigger slot, more valuable than having a second scorpion?

I argue that no, it's not. Granted, if that were the case, anyone who uses Kogetsu, would use Scorpion as well, instead of Senku, but they don't, so I'm sure it can be argued either way. I mean, the Top attacker uses Kogetsu + Senku. The second attacker uses Double Scorpion. I think that the flexibility of Scorpion makes it the better weapon overall, but again, it's debatable.
Oct 15, 2016 11:14 AM

Dec 2015
Caeless said:
LuzNight said:

If this were the case, then everyone in Border would just use Kogetsu and Senku, but that's not the case. Many border agents use Scorpion. In fact, Jin created Scorpion so that he could beat Tachikawa who uses Kogetsu. At a minimum - Kogetsu vs Scorpion are equal.

Additionally, scorpion is so flexible that it's easy to dismiss. It can also be used as a bandage.

Lastly, Mantis isn't just used for surprise attacks. It's Kage's primary means of attack.

What it really comes down to is - Is having Senku as an optional Trigger, and taking up a second trigger slot, more valuable than having a second scorpion?

I argue that no, it's not. Granted, if that were the case, anyone who uses Kogetsu, would use Scorpion as well, instead of Senku, but they don't, so I'm sure it can be argued either way. I mean, the Top attacker uses Kogetsu + Senku. The second attacker uses Double Scorpion. I think that the flexibility of Scorpion makes it the better weapon overall, but again, it's debatable.

Ehm..... No one is talking about kogetsu vs scorpion! We are talking about Senku vs Mantis.

When I said "surprise", I meant surprise/unpredictability. Yes, no one is surprised to see Kage use Mantis but they still are foggy on the range and trajectory of the attack wheras a senku moves in a straight line.
Oct 15, 2016 10:07 PM

Sep 2013
thanks for your both opinion. really appreciate it

just realize that most scorpion user using it on both side on their trigger set except kitora who only put it on her weaker-hand trigger slot and almost all of them is an agility/speed type attacker when kogetsu user mostly a swordsman style (CMIIW).

i still don't know which one between mantis or senku which one of them has a longer range.

if i remember correctly, when the 1st time yuma try using mantis, he run out of trion and his mantis didn't reach ninomiya (CMIIW). does mantis range based on your trion? i mean if someone like chika use mantis technique, is it has a longer range than the other with lower trion capacity?

meanwhile i still don't know how long senku's range (is it has a range limit or not). i only remember shinoda use senku when fighting enedora which inside a room with limited space and enedora location not so far from shinoda.

edit : also for trigger setup, senku user can put other attacking trigger like viper for example. meanwhile i don't see yet a scorpion user put another attacking trigger.
because if you want to use senku, you can put it in the same side (main-hand) and you can put another attacking trigger (e.g. gunner trigger) on your weaker-hand slot, meanwhile for mantis you need to put scorpion trigger on both side (main-hand and weaker-hand) so it maybe hard to do if you using another gunner trigger.
idk if it related with personal fighting style thought.
CaltsioOct 15, 2016 10:24 PM
"... Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."
Oct 15, 2016 10:17 PM
Apr 2016
Caltsio said:
thanks for your both opinion. really appreciate it

just realize that most scorpion user using it on both side on their trigger set except kitora who only put it on her weaker-hand trigger slot and almost all of them is an agility/speed type attacker when kogetsu user mostly a swordsman style (CMIIW).

i still don't know which one between mantis or senku which one of them has a longer range.

if i remember correctly, when the 1st time yuma try using mantis, he run out of trion and his mantis didn't reach ninomiya (CMIIW). does mantis range based on your trion? i mean if someone like chika use mantis technique, is it has a longer range than the other with lower trion capacity?

meanwhile i still don't know how long senku's range (is it has a range limit or not). i only remember shinoda use senku when fighting enedora which inside a room with limited space.

In one of the chapters during the recent Rank War vs Ikoma Squad, they said that Senku's range is based off of your activation time. The faster the activation time, the longer the range.

The highest range is 40 meters (Ikoma), for most other attacks, is 15 meters.

I would say that, based on what we've seem, mantis is probably on par with the 15 meter range, but possibly shorter.

I'm not sure if Trion would effect range either.
Oct 15, 2016 11:00 PM

Sep 2013
Caeless said:

In one of the chapters during the recent Rank War vs Ikoma Squad, they said that Senku's range is based off of your activation time. The faster the activation time, the longer the range.

The highest range is 40 meters (Ikoma), for most other attacks, is 15 meters.

I would say that, based on what we've seem, mantis is probably on par with the 15 meter range, but possibly shorter.

I'm not sure if Trion would effect range either.

it would be OP thought if mantis range depend on your trion.
also i think mantis don't need any stance like senku. so perhaps it's faster? because if i remember it correctly, when yuma try to use mantis, he looks like not using/hold any weapon(free-hand) when senku is looks like sword-drawing stance (cmiiw)
Oct 16, 2016 6:50 AM

Nov 2013
Scorpion's range is virtually infinite, since you can technically keep extending it while making the blade thinner and thinner. Keep in mind though that something being possible doesn't necessarily mean it's practical; the more you extend Scorpion the less durable it becomes. This is affected by Trion however, so someone like Chika could potentially get 40m reach with Mantis. Or idk maybe more maybe less, we don't know how far Yuma or Kage can get so we can't really interpolate Chika's potential reach with it.
Oct 27, 2016 12:11 AM
Sep 2016
Theoretically is Kogetsu/Senku the superior one. Let us assume that we have a Senkuu and a Mantis user with a trion parameter of 7, would Senkuu have the better range. Senkuu has range of 3 and Mantis one of 2.

Senkuu can break shields and Mantis not. So power goes to Senkuu.

@Botato Making scorpion too thin would make it break, due to its low durability. So it needs a balance of both.

Overall is Kogetsu and Senkuu better, than Scorpion and Mantis.
Scorpion has strengths that gives a boost to some fighting styles (Mobile, sleazy and gimmicky styles f.e.)

Even tho Jin created Scorpion to beat Tachikawa, did he become better BUT Tachikawa still won more than Jin in numbers...
Oct 27, 2016 5:54 AM

Nov 2013
KaiserToshiki said:
@Botato Making scorpion too thin would make it break, due to its low durability. So it needs a balance of both.
... That's what I said.

I was only responding to the range arguments, I did not say that Scorpion is better.
Dec 31, 2021 8:15 AM
Feb 2021
KaiserToshiki said:
Theoretically is Kogetsu/Senku the superior one. Let us assume that we have a Senkuu and a Mantis user with a trion parameter of 7, would Senkuu have the better range. Senkuu has range of 3 and Mantis one of 2.

Senkuu can break shields and Mantis not. So power goes to Senkuu.

Overall is Kogetsu and Senkuu better, than Scorpion and Mantis.
Scorpion has strengths that gives a boost to some fighting styles (Mobile, sleazy and gimmicky styles f.e.)

Even tho Jin created Scorpion to beat Tachikawa, did he become better BUT Tachikawa still won more than Jin in numbers...

All time yea but after jin started using scorpion the battles won by both were 50/50.

More topics from this board

Poll: » World Trigger Chapter 239 Discussion

MegamiRem - Feb 1

14 by StregAnna77 »»
Mar 26, 8:54 AM

Poll: » World Trigger Chapter 240 Discussion

anime-prime - Mar 3

2 by ReaperCreeper »»
Mar 6, 3:54 PM

» Despair

Magical_Bananana - Feb 1

7 by Magical_Bananana »»
Feb 8, 5:31 AM

Poll: » World Trigger Chapter 238 Discussion

MegamiRem - Nov 3, 2023

5 by StregAnna77 »»
Nov 23, 2023 4:12 AM

Poll: » World Trigger Chapter 237 Discussion

MegamiRem - Oct 3, 2023

3 by ricksed »»
Oct 4, 2023 11:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.