Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 26, 2016 5:18 PM
May 2015
I've watched the first few episodes, and I'm wondering why everyone is saying this show is "unconventional." To me, it seems like an extremely basic sports show, and not even an amazing one at that. I think too many people are taking this show's art/animation style and acting as if the entire show is unique when only the art and animation are. So, what makes this show so unique compared to something better like "Haikyuu!" ?

Sep 26, 2016 5:37 PM

Jun 2015
Even if it is only the art style, that is enough to call the show unconventional.
Sep 26, 2016 5:40 PM

Feb 2013
The story is more of a coming of age tale with the sport itself being the subplot which serves to convey the weaknesses in each of the main characters. The art style is considered unconventional to modern anime I guess? But the way the show is animated helps it convey the emotional value a bit better than crisp and clean animation could.

If you continue watching you'll understand by the time you get to the end, it's a fun watch :)
Sep 26, 2016 5:47 PM
May 2015
Yeah like I said, I've only watched a few episodes, so that's definitely a possibility

Sep 26, 2016 5:50 PM

Feb 2013
LotsaJello said:
Yeah like I said, I've only watched a few episodes, so that's definitely a possibility
I'm a huge fan so if you have any questions about it feel free to ask ^_^
Oct 1, 2016 8:53 AM
Sep 2015
ive watched a lot of sports anime and i suppose that ping pong the animation shares some of the general characteristics, but for me personally the story seemed to dig a lot deeper and had a definite psychological element? im not sure how to best explain this im sorry šŸ˜…
maybe its not huge factors that make it seem unconventional, just that the art, and story telling methods and plot, and other smaller details just made it in the end really really stand out
Oct 1, 2016 8:58 AM
Sep 2015
i thought of another small example!! most sports animes really stress friendship and working as a team, this anime to me seemed to focus mostly on the individual, and pitting characters against one another

i keep thinking the one thing ive seen before that reminded me a lot of ppta was tsukishimas arc involving his brother in haikyuu, besides that i havent seen backstories that personally seemed as fleshed out as in ppta,, that might just be my opinion though
Sep 1, 2018 1:23 AM

May 2011
Haikyuu isn't better, it focuses on the sport to the exclusion of everything else, including comedy, which it has some of but is forgotten soon. Slam Dunk is done better in that aspect, PP is an artistic statement on the other hand.
SeyfertSep 1, 2018 6:12 AM
Nov 5, 2018 11:37 AM
Nov 2018
This was the first anime I saw. Yup. The first one. And it's to this day my favourite. The sport is just the subplot, as has been said above. The characters make you feel related to them in many ways.
Nov 21, 2018 7:41 PM

Oct 2012
Ping pong is a sports anime where losing is framed as equally and often more important than winning, and among other things carrys the message that while pursuing our passions is important in getting the most out of life striving to be the absolute best comes at a heavy cost. Very different from the typical sports or shounen anime where winning and getting stronger is basically the entire goal.

Ping Pong also uses metaphorical imagery to express the emotional state of its characters. Most sports anime don't.

Also the art obviously. The lack of moe elements. And the fact that the characters are not nearly as archetypal as anime characters often are.

You don't have to like it but it's pretty undeniably "unconventional".
Nov 22, 2018 8:23 PM
May 2015
simonephone said:
Ping pong is a sports anime where losing is framed as equally and often more important than winning, and among other things carrys the message that while pursuing our passions is important in getting the most out of life striving to be the absolute best comes at a heavy cost. Very different from the typical sports or shounen anime where winning and getting stronger is basically the entire goal.

Ping Pong also uses metaphorical imagery to express the emotional state of its characters. Most sports anime don't.

Also the art obviously. The lack of moe elements. And the fact that the characters are not nearly as archetypal as anime characters often are.

Yeah it's been a while since I wrote the original message, my opinion of the show definitely changed after I finished. Thanks for the comment, that's actually really helpful and something that I didn't really think that much about.

Nov 22, 2018 11:14 PM

Oct 2012
LotsaJello said:
simonephone said:

Yeah it's been a while since I wrote the original message, my opinion of the show definitely changed after I finished. Thanks for the comment, that's actually really helpful and something that I didn't really think that much about.

Thanks, sorry if I sounded kind of snippy was in a bad mood at the time. Glad to hear you've come around to ping pong
May 31, 2020 6:31 AM

Oct 2010
reading this thread, looks like lots of people like it because of the character drama and the coming of age stuff, as if Touch didn't do that back in the 80s (won't even mention Attack no1 from 1969) with an uglier art style and mediocre animation. Probably this is just a rehash and new people here think it's so original and all that stuff.
Maybe I'll give it a try, if it's even a quarter as good as Touch, that'd be great
Jul 7, 2020 8:57 AM
Nov 2013
Lmao ye sure k nerd

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

396 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Apr 20, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2014

164 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Apr 20, 12:49 AM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.