Forum Settings
Forums

Which is more important when watching anime? Story or Character

New
Which is more imporatant when watching anime?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 27, 2016 1:31 PM

Feb 2015
I'll watch an anime with bad story and good characters, but I won't watch an anime with good story and bad characters. So, characters it is.
Dec 27, 2016 1:43 PM

Dec 2016
Definetely characters. No matter how good or intricated a story could be, if the show is uncapable to make you care and be interested in the characters, then the show will be absolutely lifeless.

For example, SnK. Interesting story, but after 4eps I could not connect to a single character so I simply dropped it, no matter how popular I knew the series was.
SoldierDreamDec 27, 2016 1:48 PM
Dec 27, 2016 4:03 PM

Nov 2016
Like peoples says before characters are huge part of story their development etc.

Story covers characters but i think i get what you asking

Depends imo

İf anime is shounen i think characters espically main character more important than story because if you don't like or hate mc that overpowers everyone you cant like that anime.

For many of them story remanings characters
Dec 27, 2016 8:31 PM

Nov 2007
I'd say both are equally important. Good characters and a good story makes for a great anime. To me, the characters and their developments/past are part of the story. You can't really have one without the other. Doesn't mean that I won't hate a character in a good story. The other characters carry it through. I think there should be diversity anyways. In regard to different characters. No one's going to like every single one. The stories can be fascinating. It's like reading a good book. You want the author to draw you in, there are characters you might relate to or really love, you can be transported to another world or time, etc. To me, it has to have the whole package in order for me to watch it. I picked story in the poll, though.
Dec 27, 2016 8:37 PM
Jul 2016
Characters > Story regardless of the medium. It's the only explanation for why I like the train wreck that is the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

Edit: And, as others have mentioned, if a work of fiction is full of annoying characters, it's not going to matter how good the story is: it'll still irritate me.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Dec 28, 2016 12:50 AM

Jun 2015
Shoegum said:
This thread triggers me on so many different levels.

Aren't the characters are a part of the story? Can't the characterisation and development of characters be the main part of the narrative? Do bad stories with good characters even exist? Do good stories with bad characters even exist?
word!!!

voted chars bcoz waifu's beat stories.
Dec 28, 2016 1:15 AM

May 2016
depends on the anime... slice of life for instance don't really need a good story but it needs good characters.
Dec 28, 2016 1:44 AM

Sep 2015
Correct me if I am wrong though, but isn't there something called as story/plot-driven and character-driven writing? I think it can be an initial consideration as to where we should shift the weight of importance between the two depend on what kind of show that we are watching.
UpperCatDec 28, 2016 2:02 AM

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Dec 28, 2016 3:24 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Can I write-in aesthetic value instead :V

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick characters, but I'm not especially picky with them or anything. Something can have no narrative to speak of whatsoever and I can like it quite a bit, I've found, so eh.

Dec 28, 2016 3:25 AM

Nov 2015
well if most of anime characters are annoying the anime will be annoying for sure however the good story will bring the good characters , so for me it goes like this
1 - Story
1.5 - Characters
3- Animation
4- The ending

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» So is Shin-Chan actually G rated and the Funimation Dub was like Ghost Stories or is it Adult in nature like Oruchuban Ebichu

vasipi4946 - 2 hours ago

3 by vasipi4946 »»
1 minute ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

58 by MasterTasuke »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 33 minutes ago

8 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

35 by logopolis »»
5 minutes ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 5 hours ago

5 by SgtBateMan »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.