Forum Settings
Forums

Which is more important when watching anime? Story or Character

New
Which is more imporatant when watching anime?
Aug 24, 2016 10:18 AM

May 2016
Since the other poll had an story and characters winning, someone mention to start a new thread about story vs character so I decided to step to the plate (before anyone else can do it).

My answer is characters because while I can watch good character in a bad story, I can't watch a good story with bad characters.
I can enjoy characters in place of a bad story because I tend to watch character first then care about the story later. Bad characters make my watching exprience horrible which then means watching the story horrible. In turn, good characters make me enjoy/care more for the story.
TakenMalUsernameAug 24, 2016 10:28 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 24, 2016 10:29 AM
Feb 2016
This thread triggers me on so many different levels.

Aren't the characters are a part of the story? Can't the characterisation and development of characters be the main part of the narrative? Do bad stories with good characters even exist? Do good stories with bad characters even exist?
Aug 24, 2016 10:31 AM

Sep 2015
good story with bad characters = bad experience
bad story with good characters = at least decent experience
Aug 24, 2016 10:33 AM

Feb 2016
takenMalUsername said:
Since the other poll had an story and characters winning, someone mention to start a new thread about story vs character so I decided to step to the plate (before anyone else can do it).

My answer is characters because while I can watch good character in a bad story, I can't watch a good story with bad characters.
I can enjoy characters in place of a bad story because I tend to watch character first then care about the story later. Bad characters make my watching exprience horrible which then means watching the story horrible. In turn, good characters make me enjoy/care more for the story.

Give me some examples cause im interested @Shoegum u2

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Aug 24, 2016 10:38 AM

May 2016
Shoegum said:

Aren't the characters are a part of the story? Can't the characterisation and development of characters be the main part of the narrative? Do bad stories with good characters even exist? Do good stories with bad characters even exist?

I knew this is going to come up and what I have to say is I mainly made this to follow up on what someone said.
I know that story and character are intertwined, and I say bad story with good characters do exist (by good I'm mainly meaning enjoyable). I can watch a show and not care for the plot/the show has a really basic one, but still watch because I like the characters more than the events.
Another way to put is, make me care for these people for me to care about what happens to them.

Dishonest said:

Give me some examples cause im interested @Shoegum u2

Some shows where I don't care for the plot, care for the charaters more or have a really basic one, but I like;
Girls und Panzer, Kekkai Sensen, Gundam Build Fighters, most of Gintama and Shingeki no Bahamut.
I tend to gravitate to more character focused show than plot focused ones.
TakenMalUsernameAug 24, 2016 11:07 AM
Aug 24, 2016 10:57 AM

Apr 2016
Definetly characters. Because as long a show has a likable cast of characters, I don't mind an anime with a subpar story. :)
Aug 24, 2016 11:02 AM

Dec 2015
I honestly care very little about story.

Something can have pretty much no story whatsoever but as long as the characters are interesting I will still enjoy it.

Hell, it could be an entire series consisting of just two people sat in an empty room talking to each other and I would still like it as long as the characters were interesting.
Aug 24, 2016 11:32 AM

Aug 2016
Salokannel2 said:

agreed!
if you have a bad story and good characters, at least you can still enjoy their qualities.

you can ignore a bad story but you can't ignore bad characters.
Aug 24, 2016 12:01 PM
Aug 2014
Characters for me as well.
For the same reason i would have more fun doing boring work with my friends than going to a big party with food and drinks but where i hate everyone whos there.

Dimension W is a great show even though the story is kinda dull because all of the characters are so unique and cool.
Deadman Wonderland is shit even though the story has a cool fresh premise because the characters are unrealistic and stupid

Its also the only possible explanation why K-On is so loved
Aug 24, 2016 2:22 PM

Aug 2014
Both are very important to me, when giving a rating i give them an equal percentage of the final rating, but when i give the rating of enjoyment, its mostly based on story.

I like story-driven anime more, so story is slightly more important for me.
Aug 24, 2016 2:29 PM

Jul 2015
a bad story with good characters is boring
i go with the story because a good story with bad characters is still more entertaining
tragedydesuAug 24, 2016 2:32 PM
Aug 24, 2016 2:35 PM

May 2016
I'd say characters. It is difficult to have a good story without good characters, although the converse is not necessarily true.

A good story without good characters is like cake without any icing. A lot of potential, but tastes bland.
Aug 24, 2016 2:37 PM

Oct 2015
Salokannel2 said:

Honestly, this is exactly how i feel and why i still enjoy things like k-on so much.
Too kawaii to live, too mahou shoujo to die >:D
Aug 24, 2016 2:41 PM

May 2015
This thread again?

I'll just say Characters this time. You can't have good Ecchi without well-developed characters...
Aug 24, 2016 2:48 PM

Mar 2010
Good characters are kinda essential to a good story.

Sep 6, 2016 8:30 PM

Nov 2014
Well i guess i'll go with the story since i'll still enjoy it despite the characters.. On the other hand, i don't think i can handle bad story even though it has some characters that i like..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Sep 6, 2016 8:31 PM

Jul 2009
I'd say this literally depends on the type of show honestly.
Sep 6, 2016 8:34 PM

Sep 2012
Story because I want to know the story behind of this necroing.

Why?
Sep 6, 2016 8:37 PM

Aug 2016
CheekyKunt said:
I'd say this literally depends on the type of show honestly.

+1. These vague polls annoy me. This is such a broad decision that it literally just comes down to "uhh, in what scenario?"
Sep 6, 2016 8:38 PM
Jul 2018
depends

I rather long running shows with both story and character
as for short runners it depends if its is a romance than characters
for the other; the story, at least for the most part

but there are exceptions

Sep 6, 2016 8:39 PM

Oct 2012
Shoegum said:

I'd say both are equally important in their own way. You can have good characters in bad stories, and vice versa, it actually happens alot in LNs and VNs.
Sep 6, 2016 8:41 PM
Apr 2016
Characters are the main thing that drive a story but I think both are equally important for a better experience

Sep 6, 2016 8:41 PM
Jan 2016
if i most choose one of them i will choose the Story.

Because the characters are part of the story :)
but in my opinion two of them are important in their own way , because both of them contribute to the Anime :)
23udSep 6, 2016 8:52 PM
Sep 6, 2016 9:57 PM
Jul 2018
The characters don't necessarily make the story btw.
I prefer story 400% more. It's my main reason for watching anime.
Sep 6, 2016 10:04 PM
Mar 2016
Before I am able to enjoy SoL and CGDCT shows, I lean more towards the story. But now, I learn to enjoy the characters also. But still I lean more on the story. But anime today in my own perception has better characters than story. I dunno
crx07Sep 6, 2016 10:08 PM
Sep 6, 2016 10:17 PM
Jan 2016
Characters. I would say Story is more of a backdrop to the Characters and Characters are way more memorable than Story, so they have a bigger impact on the overall enjoyment of whatever series you watch.
Sep 6, 2016 10:17 PM

Jul 2015
I think characters are more important. Excellent characters can enhance a mediocre plot and make it more enthralling. If a show has poorly written characters, I'll dislike it even if the story seems interesting.

Sep 6, 2016 10:58 PM

Oct 2015
You can't have daylight without the sun.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Sep 6, 2016 11:58 PM

Apr 2015
I vote Story, it seems peps love character more. But I think a good character comes with his/her good plot, so they have relation in each other
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Sep 7, 2016 12:38 AM

Jan 2008
To me charatcers are much more imporatant. It can be the most epic and amazng story ever written, if I can't give a shit about any other the characters it's pointless. On the other hand, even if the story is shit I can still care if the characters are endeering.
Sep 7, 2016 5:04 AM

Feb 2016
character
for example, guilty crown has a pretty good story. but has a dickhead protagonist. personally i didnt really enjoy it because of that

on the other side, nisekoi have a very slow pacing. but has a likeable characters , which makes me much enjoying the every eps.
Sep 11, 2016 1:49 PM
Jul 2015
For me, there are a lot of interesting characters from uninterensting series, but no interesting anime with uninteresting characters. Still, I would say that they're equal. I would not be satisfied with anime with a good plot, but stupid characters, or anime with good characters, but bad plot.
GreySelkieSep 11, 2016 2:02 PM
Sep 11, 2016 1:51 PM

Sep 2016
None of it matters if it contains ORANGE.
Sep 11, 2016 2:14 PM

Jan 2013
Character, no good story will be enjoyable if the characters that are going through it arent likable,

plus a show can literally succeed with little to no story if they have cast of likable characters, just look at the many SOL show, they dont need any story
Sep 11, 2016 2:39 PM
Apr 2015
why am I having SAO and attack on titan flashbacks but generic story with great characters makes for a great show just look at Hunter x Hunter
Sep 11, 2016 2:41 PM

Jul 2016
It depends. I personally prefer a strong or well-executed story because I am a writer. However, there have been times where the story wasn't that strong, but I really loved the characters and still enjoyed the anime. The best anime, though, is when it has both a good story and likable characters.
Sep 11, 2016 2:41 PM

Feb 2015
takenMalUsername said:

Good thing that you took the initiative...
hexanort said:
Character, no good story will be enjoyable if the characters that are going through it arent likable,

plus a show can literally succeed with little to no story if they have cast of likable characters, just look at the many SOL show, they dont need any story

Well... CGDCT for the win!
Sep 11, 2016 2:42 PM

Mar 2016
Well written characters can carry a bad story.
Sep 11, 2016 2:52 PM
Jul 2018
Both are equally important. That said if i had to choose i would probably say story, since i personally like story-driven animes more.
Sep 11, 2016 2:54 PM

May 2015
A good set of character make up a good interesting plot.
Sep 11, 2016 2:58 PM

Jan 2015
Orange-Tenshi said:
None of it matters if it contains ORANGE.

I bet this will make you happy, won't it c:
Sep 11, 2016 3:06 PM

May 2015
I think the question makes alot more sense when it's story-driven vs character-driven, but I think I'll say that in the end it depends.

I don't watch Kiss X Sis, or To Love Ru for the story. You watch those for the characters, you usually watch harem for the characters. And I think Eren(for instance) is a pretty poor character..but ignoring the fact I like some of the other characters, I think the story is fascinating enough to make it an interest read and I think the characters of generic harem 0111 is enough to cover up the fact that nothing else is actually happening.

Edit: I always think about Monster when the question comes up, it's story is it's character, so..it doesn't have a lack of story. It's literally about the way it's characters think, feel and interact. But it does have a "whodunnit" behind it and chases. The tension is good but it's certainly not what makes the series.

Still, I don't know if a BAD x can carry a good X, Kiss x Sis "doesn't" really have a "story" beyond it's characters interactions either. It's not really like the story is terrible.
ashfrliebertSep 11, 2016 3:15 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Sep 11, 2016 3:26 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
how can you watch a show in which you don't at least "like" the characters lol?

i mean, i personally don't give a shit about story regardless but i don't see how the characters can't be more important
Dec 27, 2016 12:30 PM

Sep 2016
story or charater? why not both like cross ange?
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 27, 2016 12:41 PM

Apr 2013
It doesn't make sense to me the characters ARE part of the story!
The characters make the story if the character is bad and has zero character development or whatsoever then their story/arc is bad which effects the rest of the story and makes it bad too don't you think either that or I just didn't understand this poll
But if I had to choose I would go with the story for sure :)
Good story is what pulls me in and keeps in throughout the entire anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2016 12:54 PM

Jan 2010
Characters! Characters are malleable and act as tools to enhance the story,
change it's direction, or deconstruct it. They drive the momentum of the story. They dictate where the story is going to lead and they allow us to make inferences about what'll happen next.

You can have plenty of anime with very similar story lines and themes but what separates each other is the relationship dynamics, intrapersonal development and more. It's going to lack if you have a really awesome plot with great potential but bland characters/underdeveloped characters who do nothing for it.
Dec 27, 2016 1:15 PM

May 2016
I feel like it's characters

I think that bad characters cannot 'carry' a good story. And if we have an anime with good characters but bad plot, i think it's better than the reverse.

Dec 27, 2016 1:15 PM

Feb 2015
It's pretty much always characters > story for me, especially when it comes to things like slice-of-life, since there isn't really a story to begin with. I also prefer character-driven stories to plot-driven ones and well-developed characters are more important to me than an interesting story.

The one exception to this is Shinsekai Yori, where I didn't really like the characters (and most of them annoyed me), but I still really enjoyed it.
Dec 27, 2016 1:23 PM

Aug 2013
I can't enjoy the story, even if it's good, when I hate characters, so characters is my choice.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 27, 2016 1:25 PM
Jul 2018
Good stories with boring characters invite me to drop.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Apr 26

72 by TransferUser »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 5 hours ago

21 by Subarctic-Forest »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

81 by Spunkert »»
12 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 5 hours ago

13 by -KurumiTokisaki »»
18 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

25 by Spunkert »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.