Forum Settings
Forums

Which Higurashi no Naku Koro ni version should I read?

New
Jul 24, 2016 2:16 PM
Jul 2015
I'm a little confused with this.

Are this the same version or not? because in the steam shop appear both styles. I researched a little bit and you can switch between them.

So could someone tell me what should I do if I want to read Higurashi?

EDIT: Also, steam version has only some parts, some places where the game is complete?
roquepoJul 24, 2016 3:06 PM

Jul 24, 2016 2:27 PM

Nov 2012
Shinjisus said:

Are this the same version or not? because in the steam shop appear both styles.

The first image is from the original release of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

The second image uses the sprites in the PS2 release of Higurashi patched over the original version.

If you like the latter art style better what you need to do is to get a copy of the original Mangagamer translation of Higurashi and apply the PS2 sprites patch from another site, at least that's what I did.

Or you can buy the official release on Steam, but the art-style from that release is different from both of the images you posted here.

This site should help you a bit.

http://higurashifix.wikia.com/wiki/Tweaking_Higurashi_Wiki

Hope that helps.
Jul 24, 2016 2:30 PM

Feb 2016
The first is the original character design, the second is the PS2/PS3 character design made by the... now bankrupt Alchemist. They're the same game, except the second has different sprites and adds CGs, perhaps even voices to the game. Last time I checked when it wasn't on Steam yet, only the first episode got modded to have voices along CGs with a fanmade translation by Uncle Mion and the members of Witch Hunt, the group that translated Umineko back then and now. But maybe now they're doing the same with the other chapters on Steam. I don't think I need to tell you which is better, though some people like to play it without mods and voices because they can get dragged into the story better without them. I think there's a way to get the PS2 sprites on the Steam release too, though I haven't bought any VN yet because the ones that are on it don't interest me and I've already finished Higurashi a year ago, let alone reading Umineko twice.
Jul 24, 2016 2:57 PM
Jul 2015
SuperRed said:
Shinjisus said:

Are this the same version or not? because in the steam shop appear both styles.

The second image uses the sprites in the PS2 release of Higurashi patched over the original version.

If you like the latter art style better what you need to do is to get a copy of the original Mangagamer translation of Higurashi and apply the PS2 sprites patch from another site, at least that's what I did.

Or you can buy the official release on Steam, but the art-style from that release is different from both of the images you posted here.

Hope that helps.

So... I have to get it, then tweak it.

Is mangagamer version complete? I found there up to part 3, thought they were 7.

Sorry for being a pain in the neck, but I suck with this things.
roquepoJul 24, 2016 3:02 PM

Jul 24, 2016 6:24 PM

Nov 2012
Shinjisus said:
SuperRed said:

Hope that helps.

Is mangagamer version complete? I found there up to part 3, thought they were 7.

I assume so, What do you mean up to Part 3?
Jul 25, 2016 1:37 AM
Jul 2018
Shinjisus said:
SuperRed said:

Hope that helps.

Mangagamer's version is complete. The question arcs are all in one game, and the answer arcs are one game each. So there are 5 games in total.
Jul 25, 2016 5:03 AM
Jul 2015
SuperRed said:

Lord_Sithis said:
Mangagamer's version is complete. The question arcs are all in one game, and the answer arcs are one game each. So there are 5 games in total.

Here is up to Tatarigoroshi. If I remember it well, that one is the part of Satoko uncle (I watched the anime). If there are more, I couldn't find them there.

http://www.mangagamer.com/detail.php?goods_type=0&product_code=176

And steam is the same. I even think it is the same version, because the distribuitor of the steam version is also mangagamer.

Jul 25, 2016 5:18 AM

Nov 2012
Shinjisus said:
SuperRed said:

Lord_Sithis said:

Here is up to Tatarigoroshi. If I remember it well, that one is the part of Satoko uncle (I watched the anime). If there are more, I couldn't find them there.

And steam is the same. I even think it is the same version, because the distribuitor of the steam version is also mangagamer.

I have only played a bit of the game myself, but I think I had the same problem as you since it only showed 3 scenarios on the start menu on my first try, I remember finding the missing scenario by going to the extra menu and manually unlocking the 4th arc (I think it's called Himatsubushi-hen iirc).

This is for the first MangaGamer's version btw, not sure about Steam's.
Jul 25, 2016 5:21 AM
Jul 2015
SuperRed said:
Shinjisus said:

I have only played a bit of the game myself, but I think I had the same problem as you since it only showed 3 scenarios on the start menu on my first try, I remember finding the missing scenario by going to the extra menu and manually unlocking the 4th arc (I think it's called Himatsubushi-hen iirc).

This is for the first MangaGamer's version btw, not sure about Steam's.
Meh, I think I will look for a pirate version and buy it later on. But thank you for your time ^^

Jul 25, 2016 8:42 AM
Jul 2018
Shinjisus said:
SuperRed said:

Lord_Sithis said:

When you finish the first three question arcs you unlock the fourth one.

More topics from this board

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
1 hour ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
5 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
5 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
5 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by Zettaiken »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.