Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 24, 2016 1:41 AM

Dec 2015
I hope this isn't the wrong board. (Since Light Novels are grouped as sub types of manga here in the DB I am sure it fits here in Manga Discussion.)

I have been watching "real" anime for a lot of years now. (Real = stuff I found online and not the stuff that usually gets shown in the TV in my country - which is mainly fighting shounen targeted at younger people.9

Never really liked manga. I don't like the black/white style and I prefer normal books/novels and sometimes (even though internet is distracting me and I do not have a lot of time) I try to read western fantasy novels.

Visual Novels ... I also don't like the style/char design for most of them but I read Umineko and the translations were great.

But what about Light Novels? In the past - years ago this wasn't a big topic. I know some novels get released in the west. But they seem to be more and more important nowadays since lots of good anime are based no novels (sometimes later then manga made based on novel and then anime which does not use the char design from the manga and is following the novel more closely).

Is it worth trying to read fan translations? Are there good websites that list translation groups and status? I know for some older novel I checked a few years ago there ware translations but with "holes" like ... some volumes translated. Then some skipped and the next ones translated. Not as good as manga or anime where fan translations seem to be more complete. (Probably because it is more work.)

Mainly interested in Densetsu no Yuusha and Alderamin (they seem a bit similar char-wise and there are already people posting there in the forum with novel knowledge). Also Re:Zero (which I personally do not like) seems to have a lot of peole that know the novels.
Jul 24, 2016 10:50 AM

Jun 2012
I think fan TL is as good as the official translation, if not, then better. There are few cases where fan translator TL the first vol. then skip 3 volumes but those are rare, most of the times, they don't translate what the anime covered already. ( i.e. black bullet, ore twintail, hatamaou, etc.)

I guess most LN fans appreciate fan TL more in terms of translations quality, official translations always(?) or often omit honorifics such as -kun , -san -chan -sama etc. (i.e. Chi-chan from hatamao becomes Chi, Maou-sama to Your Demonic Highness) so forth and so on.
And for some reason, fans don't like how Yen press releases volumes slowly, like twice or once a year, though that's a part of marketing strategy.

So to sum it up, I suggest you try first Fan TL.
Zaphkiel_El_RemJul 24, 2016 10:54 AM
Jul 25, 2016 4:17 AM

Apr 2013
Fan TL has a very variable quality. Some are even mere machine translations that have been "ameliorated" afterwards, and are just terribad to read. Some are good.

Keeping japanese stuff untranslated like honorifics doesn't mean more quality btw. A real translation is adapting everything to the translated language, and do not go the easy route by keeping what is hard to translate. So if anything, keeping honorifics = lowering quality.
Jul 26, 2016 4:41 AM

Mar 2012
http://novelupdates.com/

Your best friend if you want to check translation for a series.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 26, 2016 5:33 AM

Dec 2015
Thanks for the posts. Helped - especially the Link. Did not know about this site. From Google I found a site that had translations in a Wiki and Densetsu Yuusha and Alderamin.

At least for Alderamin the linked site seems to have other sites/groups listed that did a bit more not already done by that wiki-style translation site.

Probably other series that weren't on that wiki-like site also there. I'll check and look for some novels taht seem interesting later this week.
Jul 26, 2016 5:50 AM

Mar 2012
My personal recommendation for you is if you want some adventurous series try Sevens, if you want something lighthearted try Magi Grandson and Yuusha-sama no Oshisou-sama, if you want sweet harem romance read Rokujouma no Shinryakusha.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 26, 2016 6:34 AM

Dec 2011
Zaphkiel_El_Rem said:

And for some reason, fans don't like how Yen press releases volumes slowly, like twice or once a year, though that's a part of marketing strategy.

The strangest thing about that complaint is that it's factually inaccurate. Yen Press are releasing 3 or 4 volumes a year of every single series aside from those where doing so would put them ahead of the Japanese release.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 26, 2016 6:36 AM
Mar 2011
Zefyris said:
Fan TL has a very variable quality. Some are even mere machine translations that have been "ameliorated" afterwards, and are just terribad to read. Some are good.

Keeping japanese stuff untranslated like honorifics doesn't mean more quality btw. A real translation is adapting everything to the translated language, and do not go the easy route by keeping what is hard to translate. So if anything, keeping honorifics = lowering quality.

could disgaree more than ith that
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

397 by Ninja_Ace »»
4 hours ago

» 50,000 Manga Titles Translated by AI Are Set to Come Overseas

deg - May 6

10 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» Why do you think MAL users don't read manga?

Nyron - Feb 7

35 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

161 by jaeo_k »»
11 hours ago

» Any manga out that opposite to world end harem?

Darkrazor22 - May 10

3 by Darkrazor22 »»
Today, 5:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.