Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 18, 2016 8:34 AM

Jan 2014
Last year, I completed the manuscript for Guards Gone Wild!, a memoir of my adventures in Singapore's private security industry. It was submitted to 4 publishers based in Singapore. As of today, my manuscript has been rejected by all 4 publishers.

Singapore being a small country with an even smaller literary market, it is blindingly obvious that it would be a futile waste of time to hang around and wait for fresh and receptive publishers to appear on the scene. Therefore, I have to self-publish. To do that, I will need to raise the necessary fund through crowdfunding.

This is the first time I am doing crowdfunding and so, naturally, I am not 100% sure about how I should go about doing things. If there are any self-published writers here who went through the crowdfunding route, please offer your advice and guidance. Thank you in advance.

And here's my question:

What do people want in return when they contribute to a crowdfunding campaign?

Originally, after talking it over with friends, we thought it would be a good idea to offer a free (and signed) copy of my book to any Singaporean donor who donates at least S$10 (the intended selling price of my book).

But now, I have just received the price estimates for various essential services related to the publication of a book, such as cover design and layout and copy editing and so on and so forth, and the total cost comes up to S$6960! And at the end of it, I get 500 printed copies.

500 copies. That makes our 1-free-signed-copy-for-every-$10-donation offer mathematically impossible. Because if $6960 is needed, then that would mean 696 ten dollars are needed and that means after giving away all 500 copies, I will still need to come up with an extra 196 copies to give away. And how am I supposed to do that?

I could make it if I offer a free signed copy for a $20 donation but then, that would make it look like I am overcharging them for the book.

So if giving away free copies to donors is no longer feasible, what can I do for the kind people who would be donating to my crowdfunding campaign?
Jul 18, 2016 9:15 AM
Aug 2014
Well one solution to this problem would be a higher checkpoint for the crowdfunding campaign than 6960$
In those 7k there have to be basic costs for cover design and stuff and then costs for each individual book, so depending on the ratio youll get the next 500 copies for a lower amount than the first 500.
If you aim for 10$ per book youll need to find an amount of units sold at which that price is feasible.

You could also give other rewards for donators, just look at what other campaigns offered before you.
Maybe a mention of the donators names in the last page of the book, or a private dinner to talk about the book/your experiences you collected when writing it
Jul 18, 2016 5:21 PM

Jan 2014
Yeah, for the first time only, the price for printing 500 copies will be very high. Because I am including the one-time fees for the designers, the layout artist and the copy editor.

After that, it will cost me just S$2500 to print 500 copies. At 5 bucks per copy, I can afford to sell my books at 10 bucks per copy.

And hey! I love your idea about putting the donors' names in print! I could use that. A private dinner may not be feasible though, if there are a lot of donors...

More topics from this board

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

7 by Vapor_AU »»
Yesterday, 5:56 PM

» The Poetry thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheConquerer - Sep 17, 2015

220 by 707supremacist »»
Yesterday, 5:42 PM

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

18 by 707supremacist »»
Yesterday, 5:29 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

363 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 12:25 PM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Apr 25, 6:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.