Forum Settings
Forums

[Reported] Old topics appear on top if I click back on browser

New
Jul 11, 2016 7:18 PM

Jan 2008
I'm not sure if this is a old thing or a new thing but I can't remember it happening a year ago or so. It's been like this for a while though I just never really cared but I am curious as to why it's happening.

As stated in the title, if I go into any topic/section and click back to return to the main forum page, all the recent topics change to old topics from a few hours to even a day ago despite not actually being on top. Even the most recent post shows the old one being recent despite it no longer being it.

It's as if MAL is saving the page or something and loading it when I press back. MAL is the only site this happens as well. Using chrome.

Could anyone explain what causes this?
LunaJul 27, 2016 1:03 AM
Jul 12, 2016 12:48 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
I can't reproduce this problem. Just to make sure, you mean the "Recent Posts" section on the forum index? And it happens to you if you click on a link that leads to the index? Or do you use the back button in your browser? Have you tried another browser / disabling your extensions/userscripts to see if it happens too?

Is anyone else having this problem?
Jul 12, 2016 10:01 AM

Oct 2015
Oh.
I thought it was my browser recently doing well at caching. I only noticed it because my own avatar showed for 2nd-last post in sections, when that could not possibly be true anymore.
A simple F5 then actually reloaded/ re-requested a fresh new forum index page, where displayed freshest 2 posts for each section then = really freshest 2 posts.

Maybe the caching/ back behaviour changed in recent chromium browsers ?

(I'll never learn to write F5 without stupidly actually hitting F5. darn.)
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jul 22, 2016 8:11 AM
Jun 2014
This is what happens when I click the back button on my browser.

Notice the time difference.

But if I refresh the page, it shows normally.
Jul 23, 2016 12:10 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
I still can't reproduce this problem...

@Paul @BannoBunka_snork @ChiLynn

- Which browser (and version) are you using?
- Are you using any extensions/add-ons?
- Which section is affected? ChiLynn posted a screenshot but Paul's description suggests it's another section that's affected. Is it the same as ChiLynn posted?
- Is it happening all the time when you use the back button of your browser? Or only sometimes? Does it only happen after a certain pattern of clicks?
- Does it happen when you're logged in AND logged out?
Jul 23, 2016 12:31 AM
Jun 2014
- Chrome 52.0.2743.82 No extension enabled.
- All section actually.
- All the time. It's always changing though. Right now, when I use the back button it's showing this thread replied 6 mins ago but it's actually already 19 mins ago.
- Yes, I logged out to see. The result is still the same as when I'm logged in. The page is saved to my browser it seems.
Jul 23, 2016 12:45 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
ChiLynn said:
- All the time. It's always changing though. Right now, when I use the back button it's showing this thread replied 6 mins ago but it's actually already 19 mins ago.

When was the last time you were on the index, 13 minutes before you used the back button? Because then it would be a normal thing (if you use the back button then you usually don't load anything from the server so you see how the page looked like when you accessed it normally the last time).

But if you were on the index just a few minutes ago and then you see topics from HOURS ago, then it's not normal anymore.
Jul 23, 2016 12:59 AM
Jun 2014
Luna said:
When was the last time you were on the index, 13 minutes before you used the back button? Because then it would be a normal thing (if you use the back button then you usually don't load anything from the server so you see how the page looked like when you accessed it normally the last time).

But if you were on the index just a few minutes ago and then you see topics from HOURS ago, then it's not normal anymore.

When I wrote that post, I opened another tab to see if it keeps happening. I refreshed the index, I go to one of the subforum, then I click back.

On the screenshot I provided, it's showing me the page from yesterday, which is not normal.
Jul 23, 2016 6:30 AM

Oct 2015
It really is like Paul described it in the OP , as if MAL makes a snapshot of the forum index every 2 hours or so, and when I visit the forum index (not used the back button/ history) also on a fresh session I get the latest snapshot.
However - when I use F5 on the forum index - then I get a freshly composed forum index, with those 2 topics displayed that really are those holding the latest posts.

These screenshots are from a fresh MAL session - called MAL about 45min. ago, took screenshots about 30 minutes ago (1:45 pm), was last online, pfft, maybe 2 am, 3 am?
Browser is Vivaldi "stable" 1.2 (chromium 51.0), only 1 extension active : ublock. Forums are set to display last posts at top.

Forum index :

("2min./ 2min. /3min./ 5min. ago")

at the same time :

BannoBunka_snorkJul 23, 2016 6:42 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jul 23, 2016 1:45 PM

Oct 2014
I think this might be related here, why is the post showing in this page when it's so old?

Opening the sub forum thread is okay though. I tried this in Microsoft Edge browser with the same results.
Is there a point in putting a current "suggestions" SS? It clearly is showing way too old threads.
IizyJul 23, 2016 1:49 PM
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 27, 2016 12:55 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
@Iizbakaokay: I think this is a different bug that happens when someone posts in a thread and then the last post gets deleted (by the user or by a mod). It's not changing if you hit F5 to refresh the page. I thought this was fixed already but maybe it broke again.

I still can't reproduce the other bug though. It could be related to a similar problem where threads are marked as unread even though the user already read them. It's not a trivial bug though and I guess this one isn't a trivial one either. Anyway, I will report it, so the devs can find out what's the problem. If anyone has more information about it that can help please post here.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3411 by Beastmen »»
1 hour ago

» Episodes not updated on anime page

Rithic - 2 hours ago

1 by machy871 »»
2 hours ago

» Search broken

Erebus25 - Yesterday

4 by Erebus25 »»
11 hours ago

» Is there a way to import anime lists?

Supesharisuto - Nov 29, 2016

17 by Alexioos95 »»
Today, 7:46 AM

» Wrong title count in the mobile app

Davis_xxl - Today

1 by Alexioos95 »»
Today, 6:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.