Forum Settings
Forums

Will the so called 'overrated' shows of today find some appreciation tomorrow?

New
Jun 27, 2016 7:37 AM

Nov 2015
Imagine if Cowboy Bebop were to air this summer.
What kind of reception do you think it would've had?
Of course it would've had a pretty high score (possibly over 9) but what about the forums?

I feel like this anime discussion forum (and the internet in general) has ruined the anime community in that way.
Now every show has its detractors but with the advent of the internet it somehow feels aggravated.
I'm talking about bandwagons, influencing the opinions of the already very impressionable viewers.
Of course, I'm all for people expressing their opinions, but they shouldn't be influenced by other people, especially people who form their opinions based on other peoples opinions.

So, here's a few questions along with the title:
- Do you think absolutely everyone enjoyed shows like eva, cowboy bebop back when it was airing or was it just that sales did all the talking because its detractors didn't have a platform to speak up.
- Do you think shows with high scores like Steins;Gate, Shigatsu, SnK, Gintama, One Punch Man, Haikyuu will be liked more in a few years and be recognized as anime classics?
- How do you think these shows would've sold if the internet wasn't as developed? or how well do you think these shows would've fared if they were aired in, say, 1997?

Think long and hard before you answer..
Gesu-Jun 28, 2016 1:01 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 27, 2016 7:47 AM

May 2016
Good shows are good, and bad shows are bad. The date they were released means nothing, and if a show is good/bad now, it will be good/bad in the future.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 27, 2016 7:49 AM

Oct 2013
Gesu- said:
Imagine if Cowboy Bebop were to air this summer.
What kind of reception do you think it would've had?
that really depends. I would say the same reception that Zankyou no Terror got if Samurai Champloo still got the popularity it got when it aired but without Watanabe's fame
Jun 27, 2016 7:50 AM

Dec 2015
The older ones would probably not be as popular because they are not the trend right now. They would probably have some cult following but that's it. The newer ones could probably be seen as visionary back then but most of them would probably fail because they are not the trend of the day.

Of course it's impossible for an anime to appeal to everyone. Even back then there were people who thought shows like NGE and/or Cowboy Bepop are seriously overrated. The complainers are just more visible than ever thanks to the internet.
Jun 27, 2016 7:53 AM

Nov 2015
Zelkiiro said:
Good shows are good, and bad shows are bad. The date they were released means nothing, and if a show is good/bad now, it will be good/bad in the future.

The quality of a show isn't objective.
How a show is received depends solely on the the people who watch it.

I'm trying to highlight the impact of the internet and correlating it with the general opinion on a particular anime and not the quality of the anime itself.
Jun 27, 2016 7:54 AM

Apr 2013
MAL scores are fucking trash.

Even more so in the past 2-3 years.

Every newcomer rating everything they see a 10/10.
Jun 27, 2016 7:56 AM

Oct 2013
hoopla123 said:

It's amazing how accurate this feels
Jun 27, 2016 7:59 AM

Nov 2015
hoopla123 said:

Same can be said about the sales & TV ratings of shows like NGE.
A lot of people who watched/bought it back then were likely to not have seen any anime before that one.

The thing here is that there was no one to point out how 'overrated' it was. The only thing that determined a shows quality were its TV ratings.
Jun 27, 2016 8:03 AM

Oct 2013
Gesu- said:
Do you think shows with high scores like Steins;Gate, Shigatsu, SnK, Gintama, One Punch Man, Haikyuu will be liked more in a few years and be recognized as anime classics?
I have a question regarding your question
Steins Gate and Gintama are already in the Top 3 of MAL
How could they ever be more loved than they already are now?
Jun 27, 2016 8:05 AM

Sep 2014
Come back in 10 years and let us know. The shows that have been in the top ten for many years now like steins gate and FMAB and undoubtedly be considered classics. In fact to some people they already are both are over 5 years old now.
Jun 27, 2016 8:11 AM
Feb 2016
Yes, without the internet so-called "overrated" shows wouldn't be criticised as much, and the people who thought that it was overrated wouldn't really be able to form groups.

The thing is, it's better this way. Even if you're angry that people may be unfairly and too harshly criticising some of your favourite shows, the internet means that people are able to analyse shows according to their own tastes and not feel that just because a show is popular, it must be good... And it's also not like these shows that you are mentioning are particularly unpopular with the majority, only a small minority. All of the shows you mentioned apart from SnK and Haikyuu have very high scores, well above Bebop's.

I want to be able to criticise shows, and I don't really care what other people think about them. There are tons of reasons why One Punch Man deserves to be on my favourite's list, and there are also lots of reasons I don't particularly Haikyuu. The internet is a great way to meet other people who think differently but also similarly to me, and express my thoughts as well as try to understand others. If there's a small minority that are being unhelpful, then it's just something that we have to ignore.
Jun 27, 2016 8:12 AM

Nov 2015
Deknijff said:
Gesu- said:
Do you think shows with high scores like Steins;Gate, Shigatsu, SnK, Gintama, One Punch Man, Haikyuu will be liked more in a few years and be recognized as anime classics?

There are a whole lot of people who call it overrated. A lot of people rate it 1/10. idfk why..

Also anyone who loves these shows are treated like their opinions are invalid because they are 'plebs'.
Jun 27, 2016 8:16 AM

Nov 2015
Shoegum said:

I want to be able to criticise shows, and I don't really care what other people think about them. There are tons of reasons why One Punch Man deserves to be on my favourite's list, and there are also lots of reasons I don't particularly Haikyuu. The internet is a great way to meet other people who think differently but also similarly to me, and express my thoughts as well as try to understand others. If there's a small minority that are being unhelpful, then it's just something that we have to ignore.

Of course people can criticize shows. They can criticize them all they want.
But bandwagons and circle jerks are something I don't approve of.
I'm not a huge fan of Erased, but I don't like seeing people giving it 1s and 2s just because it's 'overrated' and neither do I like people repeatedly calling it so.
I mean yeah, sure, they can score it a 1 if they want to but these shows are outright bashed upon..
Jun 27, 2016 8:19 AM

Oct 2013
Gesu- said:
Deknijff said:
There are a whole lot of people who call it overrated. A lot of people rate it 1/10. idfk why..
Also anyone who loves these shows are treated like their opinions are invalid because they are 'plebs'.
I've never seen people call someone a pleb for liking those 2 shows so I wouldn't know anything about that. Also if they rate something a 1 out of 10 that's just being childish honestly. I hate Madoka Magica quite a lot honestly but to give it a 1 would be overreacting. A 3 is fair enough in my opinion if you really don't like a show
DeknijffJun 27, 2016 8:22 AM
Jun 27, 2016 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
Gesu- said:
Deknijff said:

Really? You don't know why someone would give a show a 1 rating? How long have you been this forum?

Jun 27, 2016 8:21 AM

Mar 2014
I'm sure One Punch Man, Attack on Titan, and Shigatsu will still be loved by lots of people in the future. Maybe they won't be put on the same pedestal as Bebop, but the overwhelming majority of people who watch them like these shows and I doubt that's going to change with age.
Jun 27, 2016 8:22 AM

May 2016
Chances are Steins;Gate will still be loved for a long time, because Steins;Gate Zero is coming, and if it turns out to be as positively popular as the first one, then the love for the series as a whole will skyrocket once again...
HyperLJun 27, 2016 8:36 AM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 27, 2016 8:23 AM
Feb 2016
Gesu- said:
Shoegum said:

I'm not a huge fan of Erased, but I don't like seeing people giving it 1s and 2s just because it's 'overrated' and neither do I like people repeatedly calling it so.
I mean yeah, sure, they can score it a 1 if they want to but these shows are outright bashed upon..

Yeah, but it's still a minority. Erased is massively popular, it's just that the people who are against the majority get much more attention than the +80% who gave it a score of 8-10. Only 0.6% gave it a 1, 2 or 3. And "bandwagons" can happen in the opposite direction as well, which is how shows can get so popular in the first place.
Jun 27, 2016 8:24 AM

Mar 2014
Deknijff said:
Gesu- said:
I've never seen people call someone a pleb for liking those 2 shows so I wouldn't know anything about that. Also if they rate something a 1 out of 10 that's just being childish honestly. I hate Madoka Magica quite a lot honestly but to give it a 1 would be overreacting. A 3 is fair enough in my opinion if you really don't like a show
Why a 3? Why not 2 or 4? Why 3 specifically and why are people childish if they give something a 1?
Jun 27, 2016 8:26 AM

Jun 2015
hoopla123 said:

lol, well said . Although there are many people who rate everything high, i guess they will change their rating over time
Jun 27, 2016 8:26 AM

Nov 2015
Deknijff said:
Gesu- said:
I've never seen people call someone a pleb for liking those 2 shows so I wouldn't know anything about. Also if they rate something a 1 out of 10 that's just being childish honestly. I hate Madoka Magica quite a lot honestly but to give it a 1 would be overreacting. A 3 is fair enough in my opinion if you really don't like a show

Some people say it outright. Some people convey it implicitly.
KaiserNazrin said:
Gesu- said:

Really? You don't know why someone would give a show a 1 rating? How long have you been this forum?

Of course I do.
It's because they want to jump on to a bandwagon.
Either that or they just pick out all the bad things and base their opinions only on them.
ie they feel like those few (or several) bad things about the show completely cancel out any redeeming quality that it might have..
Jun 27, 2016 8:27 AM

May 2014
Zelkiiro said:

Well, context is important.

- Do you think absolutely everyone enjoyed shows like eva, cowboy bebop back when it was airing or was it just that sales did all the talking because its detractors didn't have a platform to speak up.

me said:

Erased has a lot of detractors (because it's pretty meh), yet tons of people love it. Bebop would probably have less detractors (since it's pretty awesome). And I don't think that everyone enjoyed Eva, its ending has always been controversial. I see your point, but "do you think absolutely everyone enjoyed shows like eva," is dumb: of course not. And it means nothing if not absolutely everyone loved Eva back then.

I watched neither Gintama nor Haikyuu, but I'd say that the latter will be forgotten while Gintama will somewhat be able to be a classic (this show has already 10 years!).
Steins,Gate, well, maybe. It has sold quite a lot of DVD / BD by the way. Maybe.
Shigatsu: no. Clannad (+AS) could somewhat become a "classic", but definitely not Shigatsu. Quality put aside, yeah sure it was pretty popular, but hey, more people has already watched Erased, and it brought nothing to the medium, and etc.
SnK: this show really is a thing indeed, might be remembered.
One Punch Man, sure it's fun and the animation is god-like, but... meh, I don't think so.

FMAb can become a classic.
Suzumiya can become a classic.
Gurren Lagann can become a classic.
The Monogatari franchise can become a classic.
Why the heck would Shigatsu become a classic?

How do you think these shows would've sold if the internet wasn't as developed? or how well do you think these shows would've fared if they were aired in, say, 1997?

Less BD / DVD would be sold, and most of them would have been well-claimed by the public... I guess... but this question is pretty strange, since like I said:
me said:
Jun 27, 2016 8:32 AM

Nov 2015
Shoegum said:
Gesu- said:

Yeah, but it's still a minority. Erased is massively popular, it's just that the people who are against the majority get much more attention than the +80% who gave it a score of 8-10. Only 0.6% gave it a 1, 2 or 3. And "bandwagons" can happen in the opposite direction as well, which is how shows can get so popular in the first place.

I have a problem with all kinds of bandwagons.
But my main problem are the hateful ones because they are just so much more vocal and more likely to have an impression on other viewers.

It's like a person may dislike an anime (ie probably give it a 4/10) but then when they see all these people hating on the same show he/she will try to fit in and straight up give it a 1 just because that person is encouraged to do so. The viewers opinion is influenced more by the bandwagon than his on thoughts on said anime..
Jun 27, 2016 8:35 AM

Mar 2008
And as the highly rated are called overrated, so too are the overrated called overhated. The ubiquitous lovers are therefore mindless bandwagoners, and those who cry bandwagon become themselves the hate train. As trains can only go in circles, we find that the haters are in truth mindless sycophants sucking up to an elitist ideal. And this minority of arsehole tightwad nofun elitists are clearly pretentious frauds. These spiteful overcritical nincompoops must then fight back against the plebeian casual lowest-common-denominator pandered masses who can't tell head from toe. Enter now the level-headed transient third party. Seeing straight and true, they know all that is and all that is not. Oh, heavens! the wrongs of the community! the smelly memes, the damned windarians.

Classic masterpiece ratings founded on shit taste abound; the 7/10 average, 1/10 would not read again, 10/10 all is well.
Jun 27, 2016 8:37 AM

Oct 2013
merryfistmas said:
Deknijff said:
Why a 3? Why not 2 or 4? Why 3 specifically and why are people childish if they give something a 1?
Well I was talking about the scoring of a show which you find overrated which you don't like or really dislike. A 3 or a 4 is completely fine since you just don't like that show. As indicated by the scoring system

But to give it a 2 or a 1 I would say it should be offending you to your face personally. Like making fun of you or your culture for example. Or you find it to be incredibly immoral of your own standards
Jun 27, 2016 8:42 AM

Mar 2015
The internet has allowed frustrated people to share their angry opinion which is so annoying because most people can't really justify why they think something is overrated and just crap on the show with insults... In every show there are detractors who hate it, internet or not. The internet allowing detractors to speak up wouldn't have a seriously adverse effect on a show- if it's good it will receive a good rating. I think the anime you mentioned would still remain as good anime a couple of years down the road, perhaps even classed as "Classics", although I wouldn't agree with some of them.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Jun 27, 2016 8:49 AM

Mar 2014
Deknijff said:
merryfistmas said:
Well I was talking about the scoring of a show which you find overrated which you don't like or really dislike. A 3 or a 4 is completely fine since you just don't like that show. As indicated by the scoring system

But to give it a 2 or a 1 I would say it should be offending you to your face personally. Like making fun of you or your culture for example. Or you find it to be incredibly immoral of your own standards
I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion based on the words 'horrible' and 'appallin', to me, they're just different degrees of bad. If I actually thought the ideas a show was proposing were immoral I'd probably drop my score, but I'm not obligated to manipulate my ratings because a show wasn't quite as horrible or offensive as it could have been. For example I despise One Piece. It didn't insult my intelligence or my culture, and it wasn't really immoral, but I loathed every minute of it, that's a 1 to me.
Jun 27, 2016 8:49 AM

Sep 2014
This might hook into a thread I was going to make. Someone referenced it earlier when they said every newcomer rates everything a ten but is the turnover of the site massively increased by any chance, I.e. People signing up quickly making a list and never using it again. Or is the site after receiving a massive recent influx. Dunno if these stats are available.

The main reason I think that these might be the case is that there seems to be an absurdly quick rise in the average scores of the top anime. Correct ne if I'm wrong but wasn't 9.07 top in the early stages of the year. Now its 9.3? Getting that much of a surge in scores in older popular anime is pretty god damn ridiculous. I mean even having 9.3 on anything suggests some degree of overrating anyway. I'm not saying these pieces aren't well written but that means the absolute minimum % of tens a show has achieved is 30 and that is only if everyone else gives a 9. That just seems a little strange no matter how good the show is.

Point is saying they aren't appreciated in light of that is a bit contradictory, the haters might be Loud but they are clearly outnumbered by the appreciators, as for will they be classics, depends I've said before that I think mob mentality plays a part in both directions. Just as there are people rating too low to bandwagon so there are people rating to high because of the hype or something
StarlitSentryJun 27, 2016 8:58 AM

Jun 27, 2016 8:54 AM

Oct 2013
merryfistmas said:
Deknijff said:

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion based on the words 'horrible' and 'appallin', to me, they're just different degrees of bad. If I actually thought the ideas a show was proposing were immoral I'd probably drop my score, but I'm not obligated to manipulate my ratings because a show wasn't quite as horrible or offensive as it could have been. For example I despise One Piece. It didn't insult my intelligence or my culture, and it wasn't really immoral, but I loathed every minute of it, that's a 1 to me.
well that's fair enough then. But I most say the show must of done something along the line to irritate you to such a degree of giving it a 1 whatever that may be. Personally I just watched 100 episodes and then gave up on the show
Jun 27, 2016 9:03 AM

Mar 2014
Deknijff said:
merryfistmas said:
well that's fair enough then. But I most say the show must of done something along the line to irritate you to such a degree of giving it a 1 whatever that may be. Personally I just watched 100 episodes and then gave up on the show
That makes sense, it is pretty hard to get a 1even with huge numbers of flaws, sometimes a show is just a combination of things I hate in the same way my favorites are usually combinations of things I love rather than what I consider the best constructed shows.
Jun 27, 2016 9:07 AM

Sep 2014
Deknijff said:

If you want the truest reflection of your taste on a list then using the full scale makes sense, provided you can separate your anime into 10 "tiers" I actually use this system but haven't had to use 1 or 2 yet as if I start at 10 with my favourites I haven't seen shows that I cab justifiably say are that bad yet. If I do see something I truly despise that will be used.

The problem here is that mal uses only 1 rating and hence you cant really separate subjective and objective.

Jun 27, 2016 9:16 AM

Oct 2013
merryfistmas said:
Deknijff said:
That makes sense, it is pretty hard to get a 1even with huge numbers of flaws, sometimes a show is just a combination of things I hate in the same way my favorites are usually combinations of things I love rather than what I consider the best constructed shows.
Some of my favorites are also like that. When it comes to half of my Top 10 I haven't even given them a score of 10
Jun 27, 2016 9:27 AM

Jul 2014
I feel like all good shows will be called 'overrated' by some people because they don't like the idea of having the same tastes as everyone else. I mean not all people are like that, but some are...
Just pretend I have a signature here
Jun 27, 2016 9:33 AM

Mar 2016
I feel like my opinion here has little importance(since I obviously have much more to watch before making a thorough deduction), but I guess I'll attempt to say something which makes sense. I do think that some of the well-received(by most people) anime will become classics for many people in the future, but there's always going to be a person who dislikes a certain anime based on something in it. It's just how subjective everything is and it probably has been like this for a long time. Maybe we just realise it now, because we're in such a day and age where we could hear many other people's opinions and reflect on them.
And lastly, regarding the sales without the Internet. The only thing I can think of is that the audience would consist of a lot less people, and they would be mainly from Japan, but I don't know the numbers of the sales to say much more
Jun 27, 2016 9:51 AM

Feb 2016
offtopic but what's wrong with giving 10 when it's perfectly normal to score 1 a show? The logic here seems to suggest that no animes cannot be a masterpiece
I'm a newbie here but not new to animes and I judge a show based on enjoyment. I'm not a critic or whatsoever. Thus, I rarely check shows that are outside of my comfort zone.
Jun 27, 2016 9:52 AM

Mar 2014
paraze said:

first you need to explain why those four examples can become classics before you can say that about shigatsu, and considering it has a higher score than 3 of those shows and Bebop, a pretty good case could be made for it becoming a classic.

OT: I'm sure S;G will be considered a classic in the future, setting your feelings of the show aside, it is the time travel show. It's recommended regularly, loved by 'casuals' and critics alike, basically no plot holes unless go way out of your way to come up with time paradoxes (which you can do with any time travel scifi story).
Jun 27, 2016 9:56 AM

May 2015
The more popular stuff, unless it's been universally hated, is going to be the stuff remembered and praised. People are going to remember One Punch Man, Attack on Titan, ERASED, and what not. People aren't going to remember Concrete Revolutio, Haifuri, or Bakuon!!. They may not be called classics, but they'll be looked back on.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 27, 2016 10:06 AM

Jun 2015
MAL ratings for recent shows are trash anyway, so probably no.

Haters downvote for shit

While new users upvote everything.
Jun 27, 2016 10:13 AM

Jan 2016
To be honest, there's no such thing as 'overrated' and 'underrated'... overrated is simply stuff that more than 50% people enjoy and underrated is stuff that less than 50% people enjoy, in other words, people think SAO, SnK, Fairy Tail and etc. are called overrated BY PEOPLE, who don't like it and they want some sort of excuse to say, why don't they like it, same goes for people, who say that an anime is underrated, they like that anime, they try to explain why... they fail? They simply say "ugh, my god, this show is too underrated" or smth like that.

Of course, the animes aired right now will probably be classics after 10-20 years or so, just like Bebop, Afro Samurai and etc. is now... The main problem tho is the internet probably.. HOWEVER, anime wouldn't be so popular world-wide, if it's not for the internet we have right now, there wouldn't be as many haters, there wouldn't be as many franchises probably, because anime wouldn't get as much praise as it does now... and as much hate.

To top it off, every anime is appreciated by sm1, just like every anime is hated by sm1, it's just our opinions after all... So if someone tells that the anime you like is shit or vice versa, don't take it seriously, just accept that person's opinion... Although.. I don't think any1 will listen to me, the world can't be changed :(
Jun 27, 2016 10:21 AM

Nov 2015
BRB-kun said:
MAL ratings for recent shows are trash anyway, so probably no.

Haters downvote for shit

So going by that logic everything is shit.
Give me an example of a highly acclaimed show that doesn't have its swarm of blind bandwagon haters..
Jun 27, 2016 10:30 AM

Oct 2013
Gesu- said:
Give me an example of a highly acclaimed show that doesn't have its swarm of blind bandwagon haters..
Well every show will have a small group bandwagon haters. But I'd say the people who hate on Death Parade have a justified reason for doing so. That show makes no sense honestly
Jun 27, 2016 10:33 AM

Jun 2016
Anime evolves. It doesn't stay the same, it changes with the public.

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Jun 27, 2016 10:48 AM

May 2014
merryfistmas said:
paraze said:

first you need to explain why those four examples can become classics before you can say that about shigatsu, and considering it has a higher score than 3 of those shows and Bebop, a pretty good case could be made for it becoming a classic.

Having a higher score absolutely means nothing (especially on MAL). Just look at Evangelion and Lain.

Suzumiya literally revolutionized the industry (or at least was beginning of this "revolution"). The success of the Monogatari franchise was even on a new level (after that, almost everybody was and still is making LN adaptations which try to follow +/- the same recipe). I haven't seen lots of mecha nor I know lots of stuff about it, but many consider Gurren Lagann as one of the best anime of all time (for almost 10 years!), as the best thing that Imaishi (a legendary animator and director) ever did, as one of the most accomplished series, as a masterful presentation of what anime can offer, etc. FMAb is along these lines, but for shonen / nekketsu only.
Jun 27, 2016 11:24 AM

Mar 2014
paraze said:
merryfistmas said:

Having a higher score absolutely means nothing (especially on MAL). Just look at Evangelion and Lain.

Suzumiya literally revolutionized the industry (or at least was beginning of this "revolution"). The success of the Monogatari franchise was even on a new level (after that, almost everybody was and still is making LN adaptations which try to follow +/- the same recipe). I haven't seen lots of mecha nor I know lots of stuff about it, but many consider Gurren Lagann as one of the best anime of all time (for almost 10 years!), as the best thing that Imaishi (a legendary animator and director) ever did, as one of the most accomplished series, as a masterful presentation of what anime can offer, etc. FMAb is along these lines, but for shonen / nekketsu only.
Good, now you're statement about these shows being classics carries weight. Scores aren't meaningless, they're an indication of how much people like something, but it's true that new shows are massively overrated. We've yet to see if Shigatsu or OPM will have a lasting impact, but one of the reasons Bebop is considered a classic is it's popularity even among casual fans and non viewers. OPM has had the same effect. It's also compared to DBZ quite often, another show considered a classic. I can't say much about Shigatsu seeing as I've only seen 5 episodes, but it's on the favorites list of even those who tend to think critically about anime.
merryfistmasJun 27, 2016 11:43 AM
Jun 27, 2016 11:29 AM

May 2016
hoopla123 said:

I know right, although I'm not one to talk.
Jun 27, 2016 11:32 AM

Dec 2015
I'm just gonna answer the questions and TRY not to shitpost this time lol.

- Do you think absolutely everyone enjoyed shows like eva, cowboy bebop back when it was airing or was it just that sales did all the talking because its detractors didn't have a platform to speak up. Well from what I heard, and idk if this is a fact but it wouldn't surprise me, Eva received A LOT of hate for years. Many fans criticized the show and Anno for the entire series, but especially for the last two episodes (which i personally loved).
However, Anno stated he didn't regret it those last two episodes at all, so imo that's a success there.
But for a commercial success Eva always had high sales.
I know cowboy bebop was pretty popular among anime fans from various locations. So I am unaware if it ever received any hate, and imo it's kinda hard to hate that show lol.

- Do you think shows with high scores like Steins;Gate, Shigatsu, SnK, Gintama, One Punch Man, Haikyuu will be liked more in a few years and be recognized as anime classics?

AbsoFUCKINGlutely. And I still don't know why everone hated OPM getting as popular as it did, but then again I liked that show so idk lol.
And even though I am not a fan of most mainstream shows or am big on watching seasonals as they air, I still am not the type to simply hate something just for being mainstream. I know there are a lot of hipster anime fans who do, but then again their criticisms are sometimes valid (even when it comes to the shows I like).
Although, I will not say I have never seen people diss something JUST for being popular, but those type of people complain about everything else too so I just avoid those motherfuckers lol.

- How do you think these shows would've sold if the internet wasn't as developed? or how well do you think these shows would've fared if they were aired in, say, 1997?

Idk much about anime marketing, so I guess it's hard for me to say and I would simply say "what everyone else did back then".
lol nigga I don't know..
Banner credit to @turnip
Jun 27, 2016 11:36 AM

Jun 2012
This thread was exhausting to read. Dear lord.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 27, 2016 11:37 AM

May 2015
hoopla123 said:

Not necessarily a bad or good thing, I wish everyone understood these things are inevitable.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 27, 2016 11:40 AM

Nov 2015
Selenium_Thorium said:
Anime evolves. It doesn't stay the same, it changes with the public.

Umm, what?
No it doesn't, an anime that aired back in 1997 will obviously stay the same. It's the general opinion on it that might change.
Holybaptiser said:
This thread was exhausting to read. Dear lord.

I finally decide to make a non bait thread and this is what I get?
K
Jun 27, 2016 11:44 AM

Jun 2012
Gesu- said:
I finally decide to make a non bait thread and this is what I get?
K

>be me
>be on MAL for 4 years
>see "overrated"
>cringe
>go to thread
>"no such thing as overrated"
>killmenowplz
>captainobviousaward2016
>regurgitated opinions for the billionth time
>pl0x MAL
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Have you encountered any waifus that you can ogle 24 hours a day and still not get bored [there are a few]?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

5 by LightWorker »»
12 minutes ago

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Yesterday

58 by Nurguburu »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime you’ve been with for a while

Yonahim_Zz - 8 hours ago

17 by Rhae »»
15 minutes ago

» which anime character resonates with you the most? to be specific, who's your "literally me" anime character?

FruitPunchBaka - 6 hours ago

24 by weebtoge »»
15 minutes ago

» What is the biggest problem in the world of anime in your opinion? ( 1 2 )

castle2001 - May 5

64 by Lucifrost »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.