Forum Settings
Forums

How can one tell good taste apart from 'shit' taste?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 26, 2016 9:21 AM

May 2015
You said:
Old_Raven said:

I have though, and I completely agree with @JonasTheJay. Even rating it above a 4 shows you have shit taste.
can you describe on why it should be rated not higher than 4? I personally give it a 5 and this is my explanation to it http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=215587

I rated it a 1, and the best thing about the show is that the animation is above average, sometimes.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 26, 2016 9:22 AM

May 2016
It's simples really...
If you don't like SoLs and MOEs, you have shit taste...NUFF SAID!

Obvious joke is obvious
HyperLJun 26, 2016 1:48 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 26, 2016 9:25 AM

Apr 2015
RainyRai said:
You said:
can you describe on why it should be rated not higher than 4? I personally give it a 5 and this is my explanation to it http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=215587

I rated it a 1, and the best thing about the show is that the animation is above average, sometimes.
well as long as you can elaborate on why it deserves a 1 with some valid explanations then your anime taste is fine.
Jun 26, 2016 9:26 AM

Sep 2013
You said:
Old_Raven said:

I have though, and I completely agree with @JonasTheJay. Even rating it above a 4 shows you have shit taste.

Completely unbelievable child intelligence = -2
Pitifully obvious culprit = -2
The sheer disappointment when literally everybody guessed correctly about the culprit = -7
Displaying outside of everyone's favorite 16:9 aspect ratio = -1
Above decent OP = +2
Portions where he's an adult are kinda good = +5
Pedophilia = -10
No real threat in entire story as time travel conveniently saves the day every time = -5

Add it all up and ignore the numbers and it becomes clear it deserves no higher than 4.
Jun 26, 2016 9:29 AM

Nov 2015
Old_Raven said:
You said:

The sheer disappointment when literally everybody guessed correctly about the culprit = -7
Above decent OP = +2
Pedophilia = -10
No real threat in entire story as time travel conveniently saves the day every time = -5

Add it all up and ignore the numbers and it becomes clear it deserves no higher than 4.

You're basing your opinion on a bunch of archaic primitive mathematical calculations.
How you feel about an anime isn't simply based on a bunch of numbers.
Jun 26, 2016 9:32 AM

May 2015
You said:
RainyRai said:

well as long as you can elaborate on why it deserves a 1 with some valid explanations then your anime taste is fine.

Does this mean you want me to elaborate, because I will.
Gesu- said:
Old_Raven said:

Above decent OP = +2
Pedophilia = -10

You're basing your opinion on a bunch of archaic primitive mathematical calculations.

"Add it all up and ignore the numbers".
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 26, 2016 9:34 AM

Sep 2013
Gesu- said:
Old_Raven said:

Above decent OP = +2
Pedophilia = -10

Missed the bit where I said "and ignore the numbers", didn't ya? Oh well. ERASED is supreme shit and anybody who rates it above 4 (which is MIGHTY generous for that shit) has shit taste. I don't have time for forums today so kthxbye.
Jun 26, 2016 9:36 AM

Feb 2016
Gesu- said:
On what basis do you as an individual judge someones taste?
If they have a bunch of mainstream anime like steins gate or moeshit like highschool dxd then ya im like
put me out of my misery T_T
dont get me started on pretentious monogatari fans
Jun 26, 2016 9:36 AM

Apr 2015
Old_Raven said:
You said:

Above decent OP = +2
Pedophilia = -10

Pitifully obvious culprit and you guess it right, is there any difference of it? They're literally the same and is why I was instantly know that this show failed as a mystery since episode 4-5. Why do you separate it into different parts? Lol

And why there's so much minuses on pedophilia? It's not like the cadt are extremely pedophile at all, also this traits does exist on some deranged peeps irl, nothing wrong with that to give such a big minus to this show. Aspect ratio is never been a problem for me. And as for the music, I like the ED more, I'm more into that kind of music.
RainyRai said:
You said:

Does this mean you want me to elaborate, because I will.
Gesu- said:

"Add it all up and ignore the numbers".
Yes please, lemme know if Erased is anything worse than something like Mayoiga, Boku no Pico, or BIG ORDER.
YouJun 26, 2016 9:42 AM
Jun 26, 2016 9:42 AM

Nov 2015
Old_Raven said:
Gesu- said:

Missed the bit where I said "and ignore the numbers", didn't ya? Oh well. ERASED is supreme shit and anybody who rates it above 4 (which is MIGHTY generous for that shit) has shit taste. I don't have time for forums today so kthxbye.

A decent opinion doesn't involve any numbers at all.
That's kinda like saying that this ;http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1508394&show=50#post51
is an okay way of discern the quality of the show..
Jun 26, 2016 9:45 AM

Jul 2014
Whoever doesn't like boku no pico has shit taste.
Doctors want to check me
Poke me and dissect me
What do they expect?
Feelings from a wind-up toy?
I don't think so

Jun 26, 2016 9:56 AM

May 2015
@You

Jun 26, 2016 9:58 AM

May 2016
RainyRai said:
You said:

Oh noes, I have the ultimate shit taste then...I rated it a 7...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 26, 2016 10:19 AM

Jun 2015
I hate it when someone says "You liked/disliked ___________, you must have good/shit taste." What someone likes, someone else doesn't. Simple as that. But some people insist that their taste is better. I guess it's some kind of a need to feel superior to random people on the Internet.

Maz said:
There's no such thing as good and bad taste. I separate people by whether or not they realise such a basic thing. As much as people like to joke about this, there are people who are genuinely retarded enough on this site to talk about it like it's a serious thing.

You've got a point there.

LifeAlpha said:
> If YOU like series I don't = YOU have shit taste
> If I like series YOU don't = YOU have shit taste

I mean... That's what people do right? We don't dig the same titles, that should means one of us have shit taste, and definitely not me right? Right? RIIIGHT?

Basically that.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Jun 26, 2016 10:24 AM

May 2015
depends on if you agree with me on literally everything
if you don't, your taste is..mediocre, and i consider you an inferior human being.

sorry that's just the way it is.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 26, 2016 10:25 AM

Apr 2015
RainyRai said:
@You

Well I don't even laugh at watching Big Order (I'm more of laughing when writing my 10 rating review on it), while on Mayoiga I indeed had some laugh but there's some scene that should've been a serious scene but showed it in a ridiculuous manner like Lovepon wet transparent shit when she was going to attack Mistumune.

As for ERASED, I think that Kayo is actually the best character, some people nay say she was bland but for me, she's more of a terrified and a bit cynical child from the cause of bullying. Her mother is good too. Satoru and his classmate that bully Kayo is the worst character IMO, and Gaku is somewhat average/Below average for me. And yep Yuki Kajiura=instant plus for me, I liked all of her stuff tho.
As for the ending, people often complaint about the timeskip but not for me, I'm perfectly fine with it, I was more bothered with why didn't Satoru just slipped below the seatbelt and escaped from the window instead of trying hard to unlock the seatbelt, he is child with adult mind afterall. And I always cant say no to not enjoying a scenery like this one

But okay, you have elaborated it so that's fine.
Jun 26, 2016 10:26 AM

May 2015
You said:
And I always cant say no to not enjoying a scenery like this one

Schindler List is a pretty good anime.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 26, 2016 10:44 AM

Oct 2013
RainyRai said:
@You

Whatever you say will never justify the series getting a 1/10.
Jun 26, 2016 11:22 AM

Feb 2010
This isn't really about good or shit taste but there are definitely things that lower my opinion of someone. I'm not a fan of people who hand out 1-3 scores for every show they can't get along with. Basically people who quickly jump to hatred when they can't love an anime. This thread is full of them too.

I'll rarely judge someone for giving a show a high rating even when I disagree as long as they aren't assholes about it. But it does trigger me to regularly see people bash and hate shows out of nowhere that I found to be at least decent or even great when I pretty much agree with the assessment of some of their flaws but just don't see it making the show a 1 or 2 or even close to it. So many people seem to be outright happy when they find a show they don't like that they can bash and rate 1/10, they lose all sight of the things a show manages to do right and focus solely on the bad things to create a very one-sided opinion that is tailored to have the most negative opinion on the show possible, making it kinda useless imo. So I can't take them very seriously usually. I'll pay more attention to what someone who gives a decent or great show a 4 or 5 has to say about it than someone who gives it a 1 or 2 when it comes to figuring out the actual.

I also can't stand it when people think listing what they perceive as flaws is all that matters when elaborating on an anime and its score. I could list a million flaws for every show if I really put my mind to it, but why? I love the shows I love so much not because it's impossible to construct flaws when analyzing them with that single goal in mind. No show is immune to that. I love them so much because the vast majority of 'flaws' don't matter to me in the context of that show. They are either unimportant to the main goal of the scene or episode, a general matter of perspective, a necessary evil or just not relevant enough to overshadow all the great stuff in that show. So when someone tries to convince me my rating of the show should be lower it does literally nothing to me when they just list a bunch of flaws without explaining why they think I should care about them more than about the greatness of that show.

To sum it up, instead of caring about good or bad taste I care more about having a good or a bad understanding of the concept of taste and how it works to discuss yours with others. Sadly most people have rather misguided takes on how to define, defend and criticize taste so it's an uphill battle.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 26, 2016 11:47 AM

Aug 2014
Pullman said:
This isn't really about good or shit taste but there are definitely things that lower my opinion of someone. I'm not a fan of people who hand out 1-3 scores for every show they can't get along with. Basically people who quickly jump to hatred when they can't love an anime. This thread is full of them too.

I'll rarely judge someone for giving a show a high rating even when I disagree as long as they aren't assholes about it. But it does trigger me to regularly see people bash and hate shows out of nowhere that I found to be at least decent or even great when I pretty much agree with the assessment of some of their flaws but just don't see it making the show a 1 or 2 or even close to it. So many people seem to be outright happy when they find a show they don't like that they can bash and rate 1/10, they lose all sight of the things a show manages to do right and focus solely on the bad things to create a very one-sided opinion that is tailored to have the most negative opinion on the show possible, making it kinda useless imo. So I can't take them very seriously usually. I'll pay more attention to what someone who gives a decent or great show a 4 or 5 has to say about it than someone who gives it a 1 or 2 when it comes to figuring out the actual.

I also can't stand it when people think listing what they perceive as flaws is all that matters when elaborating on an anime and its score. I could list a million flaws for every show if I really put my mind to it, but why? I love the shows I love so much not because it's impossible to construct flaws when analyzing them with that single goal in mind. No show is immune to that. I love them so much because the vast majority of 'flaws' don't matter to me in the context of that show. They are either unimportant to the main goal of the scene or episode, a general matter of perspective, a necessary evil or just not relevant enough to overshadow all the great stuff in that show. So when someone tries to convince me my rating of the show should be lower it does literally nothing to me when they just list a bunch of flaws without explaining why they think I should care about them more than about the greatness of that show.

To sum it up, instead of caring about good or bad taste I care more about having a good or a bad understanding of the concept of taste and how it works to discuss yours with others. Sadly most people have rather misguided takes on how to define, defend and criticize taste so it's an uphill battle.

Your content is always great, clearly your post count is full of useful posts to read, however for the sake of the kids and close minded members of MAL i suggest that you summarize it in a lesser text, Thanks for your post and I fully agree with you.

On Topic:
Taste is subjective, everyone defines it however they want, I recommend that you leave this circle of close minded people that its called "Good or Bad taste" its like black and white judgement its really stupid.

I would like to say that I acknowledge that there are shows made better than other shows, but liking a better show doesn't necessarily mean you have good taste and vice versa.
Jun 26, 2016 12:02 PM

Feb 2010
@Klassical I'm not very good at making my posts more concise unfortunately, it's my weakness. I'm not that good and structured of a writer and I'm aware my posts are often longer than they would have to be but I find it hard to shorten them. I did try to put a 'To sum it up' at the end of the post you quoted at least tho.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 26, 2016 12:19 PM

Jul 2014
If someone gave Fairy Tail or another anime that I consider complete trash more than 6, their taste is shit.

However, someone giving low score to one of my favorites is okay, it's just different preferences (or they're idiots).
Jun 26, 2016 12:30 PM

Aug 2014
If they have Inferno Coppu or Boku no Pico, I know their taste is amazing. If they have overrated trash like Gintama or LoGH in their favs, they got some awful taste.

On a more serious note, people who have great taste are those who can properly explain why they like something. I don't expect some kind of 3 page essay on why X anime is their favorite, but I do expect something more than "I just like it", because that sounds like a lazy answer and as if you have no clue what it is that makes you like X anime over Y anime.
Jun 26, 2016 1:15 PM

Apr 2015
@kamisama751
Jun 26, 2016 1:24 PM

Oct 2014
Unfortunately there is no one person who has god-like taste to compare people to so I just go through their list and see if they've ratings are something I can possibly agree with or not. If someone gives Non Non Biyori a 2 and Lucky Star a 9 then they obviously don't know what good anime is. If someone gave TTGL a 10 and Yama no Susume 2 a 6 then they obviously just have different taste than me, which isn't exactly a bad thing (can't really give or receive recommendations, though).
Jun 26, 2016 3:00 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
People who have shit taste are people who think they have good taste

The best of folk are willing to join hands and enjoy having shit taste together

Jun 26, 2016 3:41 PM

Jan 2014
shit taste can be identified by a particular odour.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 26, 2016 3:45 PM

Jun 2015
@kamisama751 Listing flaws does not make you a good critic. Elaborating on them does. Quality > quantity.
Jun 26, 2016 4:42 PM

Sep 2015
Shit taste for me is just 'a different taste' than mine that has been taken into the furthest deteriorated length of defenition by people. Everybody can like whatever anime they want no matter how small and trivial the reason is for them to do that, as long as they know and aware of it.

Although, saying 'it is good' would not sufficient or satisfying enough to justify that for some people, but I don't think that having a passage of elaborated, verbose explanation of philosopical, psychological social impact and whatnot is a must here and surely we cannot just say they do not legitimately like one show; demote them to having a shit taste solely because of that.

Some people simply just cannot easily formulate that/those reason(s) into elaborated words, for perhaps they just do not have enough experience in that or not having enough thought exercise to do in-depth analyzing.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jun 26, 2016 5:08 PM

Jul 2015
Maz said:
There's no such thing as good and bad taste. I separate people by whether or not they realise such a basic thing. As much as people like to joke about this, there are people who are genuinely retarded enough on this site to talk about it like it's a serious thing.

TiaDee said:
Mal list doesn't tell me anything about someone's taste in anime, if I really wish to figure out someone's afinity to my taste I just try and have a brief talk with them about what they enjoy about anime and what they usually look for in one.

Selenium_Thorium said:
I don't judge someone for their taste in anime. Everyone's preference is completely subjective.

Minna! you da real MVP, i couldn't agree more :')
Jun 26, 2016 8:52 PM

Apr 2013
JonasTheJay said:
Someone who has Erased in faves has definately shit taste.
And the truth has been spoken, case closed
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jun 26, 2016 8:56 PM

Jan 2008
By your taste in best grils and waifus.
Jun 26, 2016 8:56 PM
Feb 2014
Shit taste is predictable, narrow-minded, and complains about other peoples' favorite anime, good taste likes everything in general but comes with standards as to what stands out and what falls short, and respects peoples' favorite anime.

@Mamster-P tell 'em what good taste is
AqutanJun 26, 2016 8:59 PM
Jun 26, 2016 9:04 PM

Apr 2013
Generally speaking, people who have Tokyo Ghoul avatars, LUL
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jun 26, 2016 9:11 PM

Jul 2015
I don't know, I wouldn't really consider anyone to have bad taste as long as they can explain why they like whatever taste they have with valid points. Like for example, if someone has a taste that I don't like, and they can poorly explain the reason why they have that taste, then I guess I'll consider them having bad taste.

caught in the wonder
Jun 26, 2016 10:57 PM
Oct 2014
I have shit taste and I'm proud of it. So the best indicator of whether you have shit taste is how closely your tastes match my own.
Jun 26, 2016 10:59 PM

Aug 2013
I'm too old to give a shit about any one else's tastes, and I don't need to compare myself to others to find my place in the world.
Jun 26, 2016 11:16 PM

Dec 2009
It's subjective so you can't. Only to oneself for each and every one of us, only for ourselves. Why ask?
Jun 26, 2016 11:28 PM

Aug 2015
Gesu- said:
On what basis do you as an individual judge someones taste?
What anime they drop, what they hype, what are their highest and lowest scores, and how they rate their anime. Everyone has difference preferences or watches anime solely for entertainment, but when someone only watches mainstream like Naruto, but won't watch an anime like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Hunter x Hunter (2011) etc. in the same Genre, it makes you wonder.
“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”Lao Tzu

Jun 26, 2016 11:29 PM

May 2009
Pullman said:

This is very thoughtful. Thanks for sharing.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Jun 26, 2016 11:44 PM

Jan 2016
I'm just gonna say that I have an exquisite taste(because it's mine and I don't doubt my tastes) and get it over with.... Whatever anime people like is irrelevant and I don't really care. xD
Jun 26, 2016 11:52 PM

Aug 2015
And everyone is going to be subjective about it anyway, so "taste" is a bad concept. Even well known Movie/Food critics have been known to be wrong/biased and sometimes can't be subjective. The only true way to gauge bad taste from good taste is for people who have a fetish for liking bad anime, like those who watch B-movies any chance they can. Or to be on the same page and deviate from there.

Jun 26, 2016 11:52 PM

Feb 2016
what's the difference between good and shit taste? i'm 100% sure that everyone have different answer

just make it simply. both are same. same as all chinese cartoon :P
Jun 27, 2016 12:07 AM

Aug 2015
Ryuuzahar said:

That's because those people doesn't know how to make a criteria.

So should we go by "Whoever doesn't have consistent criteria" has no right to judge anyone else's taste. Which would mean that a lot of reviewers/critics are thereby void until they can get themselves composed and be professional about it.

At the end of the day, we all have shit tastes because we aren't making our own anime or improving past work. So pretty even ground.

Jun 27, 2016 12:25 AM

Aug 2015
Ryuuzahar said:
LogicalInjustice said:

So should we go by "Whoever doesn't have consistent criteria" has no right to judge anyone else's taste. Which would mean that a lot of reviewers/critics are thereby void until they can get themselves composed and be professional about it.

At the end of the day, we all have shit tastes because we aren't making our own anime or improving past work. So pretty even ground.

No. Reviewers/critics have their own criteria on judging even it's different to each other. I'm talking about people who just judge something without a clear criteria.

You mean you can't criticize something just because you didn't make it? I'm sorry but that's wrong.

Yes and No. It depends on the type/intent of the critic. Some people actually criticize things and proven excellent examples of how said art could have been better. Others will de-constructed the show solely to point out its faults for their own agenda. Otherwise, you have a bunch of random people thinking they know better criticizing art solely because they can and have nothing better to do, compared to constructive criticism, which points out the faults, compares it to an art that did it right/did it better, and helps an audience gain good "taste". There are just not enough people from the above that are respectable enough to take seriously or into consideration, regardless of the art form. Simply put, if you do not have the insight/expertise to de-construct an anime, fill in the missing elements, and properly convey each of your points, you are nothing more than an outspoken fan digging a little deeper than the average fan and have no business trying to do criticism for the masses.

Jun 27, 2016 12:26 AM

Apr 2010
Maybe if someone only watch ecchi/yaoi/Yuri

Jun 27, 2016 12:43 AM
Jun 2016
Tevens said:
to me there is no good taste or shit taste. taste is taste.

This is it. Durians and almonds. Some people love durians and think they smell good. Some people hate durians and think they smell shit.

Me, I think durians smell great and almonds smell like shit.
Jun 27, 2016 12:49 AM

Jun 2014
Ronteque said:
Tevens said:
to me there is no good taste or shit taste. taste is taste.

This is it. Durians and almonds. Some people love durians and think they smell good. Some people hate durians and think they smell shit.

Me, I think durians smell great and almonds smell like shit.

Same for me, Just add me to the No-Fucks-Given-About-Taste Club.

PS: Wait. I forgot to say that I can't tolerate anyone who gives a high ratings to the shows I dislike. I tortured myself to watch them and even after trying so hard, I was unable to find anything. I couldn't care about their likes, since everyone has different tastes. Especially SAO. A 6 is the max you could give it. If you give it a 8, there's something wrong with your head.
Jun 27, 2016 12:59 AM

Aug 2015
Ryuuzahar said:
For example, if all the release anime next season will be just hentai and nothing else, you just ignore it even you are an anime fan too? If you are like that then, you don't care for the medium, and what's happening to it, in the first place which means you aren't a fan at all.

That would be when an intelligent fan or critic picks the best/worst hentai series from the season and criticizes it properly so we don't get anime done the same way. A lot of what you end up seeing, however, is a lot of nitpicking, unexplained acceptance, and apparent denial regarding anime criticism. I don't know if it's the Vocal Minority drowning out those who know what they are talking about or there is a justification to use owns own experiences to criticize. Which ever it is, we need more objective [even if biased] critics for anime who have a broad understanding of Japanese Culture and the mechanics of what is needed for a anime to be successful or work.

Jun 27, 2016 1:01 AM

May 2015
Shit taste is people who can't back up their opinions, can't explain why they like things.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 7 hours ago

38 by MichaelJackson »»
56 seconds ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 1 hour ago

12 by Absurdo_N »»
2 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

26 by _FRB_ »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 8 hours ago

15 by Tropisch »»
4 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by Caciulacdlac »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.