Forum Settings
Forums

Why don't certain shows get another season even if they are popular?

New
Jun 24, 2016 11:26 AM
Nov 2015
their are shows like black bullet but for some reason it doesn't even have another season. I mean if the show is popular their should still have sales and etc. so their shouldn't be any problems. In black bullet they even had the biggest twist at the end but why isn't their another season. I really don't the people who make this shows are that lazy cause this is their profession, hopefully. What do you think, please comment.
RN
Jun 24, 2016 11:31 AM

Feb 2015
they don't want to take a risk. another season involving, budget, time, and profit. they don't want a risk where they will fail at all of that if they make another season. i think that's the reason.

sorry for bad english btw.
Jun 24, 2016 11:44 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
There are lots of reason. Such as:
-Not enough source material for another season
-Original studio is tied up with other projects
-Hypetrain for series has passed
-Really only meant to sell source material

I am sure there are other but some studios take on this shows as commissions so it isn't up to them what gets a sequel.
Jun 24, 2016 12:11 PM

Mar 2015
SesemeCat said:
their are shows like black bullet but for some reason it doesn't even have another season. I mean if the show is popular their should still have sales and etc. so their shouldn't be any problems. In black bullet they even had the biggest twist at the end but why isn't their another season.

Uh, I hate to break it to you, but Black Bullet wasn't exactly a hit in terms of sales. I'm not even sure if it managed to make back the money they spent to make it (meaning more than 3000 units per volume). I liked the show but let's be realistic here.

Just check out its BD/DVD rankings on ANN:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15769

OT: For actually popular shows, it could be any of these and more:
- not enough source material left
- it advertised the source material so its job is done
- sales were too low to consider a sequel
Jun 24, 2016 12:14 PM

Jun 2016
Why do they not pump out seasons for shows like NGNL, AoT, SAO, etc. These shows were massive hits and even if they don't live up to the expectations of their season 1's, they still have a fan base that's strong enough where people will still watch/buy it.

Makes nooooo sense, someone please enlighten me because I'm lost.
Jun 24, 2016 12:14 PM

May 2015
-Series didn't make money so not worth effort
-If the series was contracted to boost series sales and it failed, it won't get one. If it succeded, it depends on what it adapts, light novels usually don't, stuff like shounen jump do.
-The reason light novels don't is because the publisher of LN/Manga is an important source of funding. Light novel publishers fund an anime for one light novel then move on to another.
-Conversely, shounen jump doesn't deal with that.
-Original studio doesn't want to
-Publisher and the shows committee don't want to.
-No more source material.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 24, 2016 12:17 PM

Jun 2015
This post by @j0x makes a good summary.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1521029&show=0#post25

Whoops, forgot the link.

My bad.
BrbJun 24, 2016 12:27 PM
Jun 24, 2016 12:21 PM

Sep 2014
Quiadex said:
Why do they not pump out seasons for shows like NGNL, AoT, SAO, etc. These shows were massive hits and even if they don't live up to the expectations of their season 1's, they still have a fan base that's strong enough where people will still watch/buy it.

AoT season 2 is coming out soon, SAO season 3 is confirmed afaik and NGNL had some issues with manga authors being falsly accused of tracing or so I've heard. For a lot of other popular shows it's the lack of source material, e.g. HxH

Jun 24, 2016 12:25 PM

Feb 2010
If you think a sequel of a show you liked would be profitable and it isn't happening than most likely you're wrong and it wouldn't be profitable. I trust the production committe to have a better idea of how succcessful a show was compared to OP or other random people on MAL. Unless there's like a rare special exception of some special case, if the industry doesn't make another season it's because the industry doesn't think it's worth the effort based on all the knowledge we don't have in public. It's always as simple as that.

But yeah, it's all about those lazy, overpaid animators refusing to pump out more successful shows despite them having a twist at the end. How dare they.

BRB-kun said:
This post by @j0x makes a good summary

what post?
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 24, 2016 12:40 PM

Jun 2016
ScarletSentry said:
Quiadex said:

AoT season 2 is coming out soon, SAO season 3 is confirmed afaik and NGNL had some issues with manga authors being falsly accused of tracing or so I've heard. For a lot of other popular shows it's the lack of source material, e.g. HxH

I guess I'm somewhat misinformed but the gap of time between AoT season 1 and 2 is ridiculous, SAO season 3 isn't anywhere near and NGNL has no foreseeable continuation anyway...

It's just sad that a lot of the bigger anime have issues keeping up with the development when less popular anime have no problems with it. Am I not seeing this right or is that just the way it is
Jun 24, 2016 12:47 PM

Dec 2015
Quite a few popular animes are made just to reel people into reading the manga
WAKE ME UP
Jun 24, 2016 1:00 PM

Sep 2014

It always seems strange to me when unpopular bad anime have a sequel. I won't name anything cos someone will have liked it but there are some that are truly baffling.

As for continuation, the anime industry is quite unpredictable here but I've generally started taking a non-expectant stance so I'm just pleasantly surprised if there is a sequel to something :D

Jun 24, 2016 1:03 PM

Jul 2014
Not for nothing, but isn't the point of MOST anime to promote the source material? So if the source is popular, then there is no point for an adaptation is there.

Also, if a source became popular after the first season, there is no point making a second one right?
Jun 24, 2016 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
Studios are usually too cheap to produce second seasons, alongside the fact that there's a lingering possibility of fan disinterest or failure from a financial / story standpoint

If you make a second season too long after the first one, less people statistically are likely to watch it compared to the first. People prefer faster continuity. The other problem is trying to keep the story and the general gist of the anime consistent when making a second season (x) number of years later; the director can change, the studio can change, but mostly, at least a portion of the staff, even if not the main staff, will likely be changed. Therefore, it's harder to keep the original allure of the show, having to implement at least some change.
Jun 24, 2016 7:30 PM

May 2012
DoubleMangekyo said:
Uh, I hate to break it to you, but Black Bullet wasn't exactly a hit in terms of sales. I'm not even sure if it managed to make back the money they spent to make it (meaning more than 3000 units per volume).

Black Bullet averaged 478 DVDs and 1,985 BDs per volume.

Low sales don't always mean no sequel though. Chihayafuru's first season so stimulated sales of the manga that a second season was produced. I guess manga sales must be cruising along now, though, because there have been some 70 or more chapters released but no third season in sight.
Jun 24, 2016 7:33 PM

Sep 2015
DoubleMangekyo said:
SesemeCat said:
their are shows like black bullet but for some reason it doesn't even have another season. I mean if the show is popular their should still have sales and etc. so their shouldn't be any problems. In black bullet they even had the biggest twist at the end but why isn't their another season.

Uh, I hate to break it to you, but Black Bullet wasn't exactly a hit in terms of sales. I'm not even sure if it managed to make back the money they spent to make it (meaning more than 3000 units per volume). I liked the show but let's be realistic here.

*sniffs* makes me cry whenever I think about Black Bullet not getting a second season. :'(
Jun 24, 2016 7:35 PM

Aug 2015
Maybe because it didn't get popular enough inside Japan...

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jun 24, 2016 8:28 PM

Mar 2012
Yahiroz said:
Quite a few popular animes are made just to reel people into reading the manga

This. Berserk being a notorious example.
Jun 24, 2016 9:57 PM

Apr 2015
ScarletSentry said:
Quiadex said:

He isn't falsely accused, he clearly did trace drawings. Not the end of the world but still a true offense.

Another reason may be that it was a hit but not a massive hit by any means, leagues below SAO and AOT
Jun 24, 2016 11:48 PM

May 2015
Why aren't there adapations for BioShock and Fallout?

You don't just fart a second season. As someone said, you need time and budget and crew. I also think the producers don't want to rush a crappy product. Bad word of mouth means no one watches your stuff.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 25, 2016 7:53 AM
Nov 2015
BrandNew_Lanz said:
ScarletSentry said:

He isn't falsely accused, he clearly did trace drawings. Not the end of the world but still a true offense.

Another reason may be that it was a hit but not a massive hit by any means, leagues below SAO and AOT

but i still think they should have another anime season and shouldnt stop because the manga author is relying on other works
RN
Jun 25, 2016 9:57 AM
May 2015
I wish Overlord and MonMusu got a second season.
Jun 28, 2016 2:50 PM

Jan 2013
Normally because of budget reasons or it caught up to the original source.
Sometimes the anime is just promoting the original source.
Maybe it didn't do that well in sales.
Could be a variety of reasons.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2016 2:54 PM

Jun 2012
SeijiSensei said:
DoubleMangekyo said:
Uh, I hate to break it to you, but Black Bullet wasn't exactly a hit in terms of sales. I'm not even sure if it managed to make back the money they spent to make it (meaning more than 3000 units per volume).

Black Bullet averaged 478 DVDs and 1,985 BDs per volume.

Low sales don't always mean no sequel though. Chihayafuru's first season so stimulated sales of the manga that a second season was produced. I guess manga sales must be cruising along now, though, because there have been some 70 or more chapters released but no third season in sight.
Madhouse doesn't do threes. They're the Valve of anime studios.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jul 2, 2016 7:42 AM

Feb 2016
It's to tease the fans obviously what else.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

23 by Toooooooooohru »»
20 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

64 by LostSpectre »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

32 by Dauphine »»
8 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

8 by mizukasa »»
8 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

3 by LostSpectre »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.