Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jan 13, 2023 11:19 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything.
Jan 19, 2023 10:04 AM

Mar 2016
The feeling I'm getting from these comments is the old views of edgy viewers from early 2000's who consider Shinji a wimp yet if they looked in a mirror they'd see the same person staring back at them (and that's what they hate), followed by people who were expecting a simple-minded shounen or have been sucked too far into the 12-episode series mindset where any dedicated slow down is considered "time-wasting". Sure there was barely anything that actually happened in the episode and it had long silent sections, but a 26 episode series has the luxury of using those moments. Show, not tell. This was on display here as we were taken through Shinji's dilemma. For whatever reason, these mecha can only be piloted by young teens, and he has shown as having better sychronisation with it than Rei has with hers. But he doesn't want to do any of this...and he's now getting scolded for doing it if he doesn't want to, but he feels duty-bound so that eat-up Rei doesn't need to do it all solo.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Will be nice to finally see more of Rei next episode and eventually learn more about NERV.
Jan 21, 2023 10:33 PM
Jan 2023
very good, i love it l3
Feb 1, 2023 3:07 PM
Jan 2023
pobre del prota estaroto por dentro y no sabe como lidiar con sus emociones
Feb 11, 2023 8:35 PM

Jul 2022
The episodes go by insanely fast, and somehow mentally exhausting, idk, the feeling is weird
Mar 18, 2023 7:23 PM

Mar 2022
This is probably one of the best episodes for Evangelion that I’ve seen so far. Some people say it’s boring. Me on the other hand? I think it’s a great episode to relax because think about it, when you’ve had nothing but pure adulterated chaos in the first 3 episodes while still really good episodes I feel like if we get more action than it’s going to get much after a while so we are essentially seeing the aftermath of what this burden brings to Shinji. We are essentially seeing how he feels, how he’s coping with the situation and on top of that how this situation is making him think. 

Misato I feel isn’t to blame for why Shinji ran away but more she’s doing it because she feels that if she isn’t firm with Shinji then he’s more than likely to not pilot the EVAs ever again. But she also feels that she’s essentially the only company he’s had up till now. The animation, my god the animation is so stunning, true they reuse animation frames in this but who cares when we have incredible visuals. And did I mention I love the animation in this show? There was some great character development for Shinji himself, his two classmates as well, and they ultimately are probably the only other people that care about him and one of the reasons why Shinji is going back to pilot those EVAs. Man that silence at the end was tense and the exchange between both Shinji and Misato, incredible is all I can say.
May 21, 2023 5:00 PM
Feb 2021
Even though Shinji is a massive pussy for not fighting, it's still really nice that his reasons are clear. Beyond the fact that he's never fought anything or piloted the Eva before, his father literally told him that he brought him back because he has a use for him. Combining that with how Misato got super pissed at Shinji because he said he wanted to fight so that Rei, Misato, and Ritsuko wouldn't have to fight alone makes his reasons really well spelled out. He has no real reason to fight other than to protect people, but Misato, obviously, doesn't like him to think like that because that's a dangerous mindset to have and she has her own personal reasons as well. Idk, Shinji's aimless wandering is a really bold choice for the fourth episode, but it works so well to inform the rest of his character going forward.
May 25, 2023 2:17 PM
Apr 2020
I mean I guess we get a better idea of what's going through everyone's head but it did not feel satisfying for absolutely no progress to be made this episode
Oct 13, 2023 6:39 PM
Oct 2023
i loved the last scene
Nov 26, 2023 1:30 AM
Nov 2023
oh... u should have left shinji
Mar 3, 6:52 AM

Jul 2017
Absolutely a stunning episode, so silent and yet it tells a lot abot the characters of shinji, misato, toji and kensuke.
misato understands how shinji feels, reaching reaching him in the end, and shinji tries to conquer his fear by remaining as an evangelion pilot and trying to protect what he feels is important.
the ending scene was really heartwarming.
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Mar 15, 11:46 AM

Jul 2021
shinji just needed some acknowledgement about his struggles to gain courage to face everything. that apology and show of gratitude was crucial.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 20, 11:58 AM

Feb 2022
Weird one, nothing much really happened apart from just a rollercoaster of emotions shown by Shinji, and a quest fro loneliness to figure out what is happening. Toji and the other guy really are very cool friends, they might be a decisive factor to show Shinji that he should victimize himself less, and focus more on the task at hand and his present self, but at the same time let's be honest, no one can expect that from a 14 year old. Generally speaking it's tough to understand much from one episode, you have to have a more complete picture and time to digest it so I might take a break from reviewing episodes.

Also, as a side-note, we are finally having some Rei action, can't wait to see how her character is developed and fitted in the picture of Shinji.
Apr 1, 4:01 PM
Jul 2023
A really good episode! Man I love the way this show is done the really long silence at the end was really well done. As well as the scene with Shinji and Misato arguing.
Apr 3, 5:57 AM
Apr 2023
Pretty cool. Shinji running away, Mommy Misato is sad about it, someone finally comments on how hot she is and the ending with the train was sweet. Loved that they kept on that 1 frame for like 20 seconds too.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Apr 24, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.