Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 3, 2016 12:39 AM

Jan 2014
(This thread could be moved or locked)

I recently finished evangelion MANGA, I didn't watch 95TV series since I didn't really like old animation. The problem is I didn't understand it at all. The story became awkward after Nagisa appearance until the end.

So am I wrong to miss something or the story itself is the wrong one?
Jun 3, 2016 12:41 AM

Jan 2012
Well I definitely didn't get the anime ending, but why post specifically about the manga in an anime section?
Jun 3, 2016 12:43 AM
Jul 2015
Evangelion is an amazingly animated show. I think you're missing out on the show.
Jun 3, 2016 12:43 AM

Jan 2014
animefan8800 said:
Well I definitely didn't get the anime ending, but why post specifically about the manga in an anime section?
Oh sorry, I just usually post in this section. This section have many person to answer.
Jun 3, 2016 12:44 AM

Sep 2015
Well, a lot of it flew over my head. I had to read some explanations about it afterwards, but I've never been the best at understanding allegories and symbolism. I think a lot of people are like that, where if something isn't logically spelt out for them they can struggle to grasp it.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 3, 2016 12:47 AM

Jan 2012
HiatusXHiatus said:
animefan8800 said:
Oh sorry, I just usually post in this section. This section have many person to answer.

Ah, alright, not trying to sound mean or anything. I guess you probably would get more responses here. :)
Jun 3, 2016 12:52 AM

Oct 2014
Isn't that the point? There's a reason why they have the dementia tag on it. It's supposed to be hard to understand. I haven't seen it, but that's what I've heard (it's essentially on my eternal PTW list which means I'll likely never watch it).
Jun 3, 2016 12:56 AM

Jan 2014
Marnie said:
Evangelion is an amazingly animated show. I think you're missing out on the show.
When I see your profile I didn't see you finished watching it yet, 20/26 episode...
Jun 3, 2016 12:59 AM

Mar 2013
It's not as deep as people make it out to be. It's just supposed to be about overcoming depression
Jun 3, 2016 1:17 AM

Jun 2015
At this point it is more or less based on your own interpretation. I simply interpreted it as about being broken people in a broken society, and the baggage that comes along with that.
Jun 3, 2016 1:23 AM

Feb 2015
The ending was just a psychoanalysis of Shinji; there wasn't any plot-relevance to it.
Jun 3, 2016 1:27 AM

Feb 2013
that's unusual.....

well, you still seem sane enough, so i suggest watching the rebuild movies
Jun 3, 2016 1:36 AM

Jun 2015
meeKlynoT said:
Yeah, I might have an answer to this.

Neon Genesis Evangelion was originally an anime. It was, unlike many anime, not based on a pre-existing manga. Instead, it was an anime turned into a manga. Now, I have not read the manga version of Evangelion, but having watched the series and the film conclusion, it is not easy to understand even as an anime.

Evangelion's manga had like 4 chapters before the anime aired. And the author of the manga designed the characters for the anime (which is why the art in both mediums are so similar). I always thought the anime took its idea from the manga and started to go a different path about halfway through. It's pretty common to see older anime do that, they did it in Full Moon wo Sagashite.

Unless, it's the case where a person had an idea and they decided to make both and anime and a manga from it at the same time. In which the manga came first because anime take a longer time to make. And the director of the anime, as well as the author of the manga decide to make the stories in the two mediums relatively similar, but then split parts after some time. I think they did that with Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!
-
OT: I'm currently reading Evangelion's manga and I honestly think that it's easier to understand than the anime... the anime has a lot of plot holes and the manga covers most of that up. If you're confused reading the manga then good luck with the anime, I suppose.

Also:
romagia said:
that's unusual.....

+1. If you've already read the manga and don't want to watch the old TV Shows, then watch these movies. Though a lot of events are taken out or changed, the main plot is still there and it's pretty enjoyable. The art isn't old as fuck either lol. But weird shit happens in the 3rd movie (pretty much completely diverges from the manga, except for the Kaworu part) so be cautious.
ixaaJun 3, 2016 1:42 AM
Jun 3, 2016 1:39 AM

May 2016
Hiatus x Hiatus must be the name of the year
Jun 3, 2016 1:43 AM

Jan 2014
TheRefractingOne said:
The ending was just a psychoanalysis of Shinji; there wasn't any plot-relevance to it.
This is quite "make sense" answer, if that so, yeah it is pretentious.
Jun 3, 2016 1:53 AM

Feb 2013
HiatusXHiatus said:
TheRefractingOne said:
The last chapter released a week after the original series ended delves far deeper into existentialism and the cruelty of the circle of life than the original post-modern social commentary ever did. It is a beautiful thing to behold.

With only two characters present, Shinji and Kaoru, Hideaki Anno (the creator) can deliver a highly complex psycho-analysis of these five-dimensional characters. Shinji's tragic past, coupled with his incredible love and reliance on Kaoru, makes for an amazing character, no, PERSON, that transcends the medium and becomes a real, human being. Shinji's denial of Kaoru's wish to start the instrumentality, that we saw in the earlier episodes, have deeply scarred Shinji and makes him question if Kaoru does truly love him
Jun 3, 2016 2:04 AM

Dec 2014
THIS COMMENT CONTAINS TOO MANY SPOILERS OF NGE AND END OF EVANGELION

Note: if you don't agree with me that is perfectly fine. I know how controversial this topic is. I looked up, researched a lot about Evangelion. I still don't know if my point is wrong or right in this regard, so please bare with me.

Well I consider myself a fairly intelligent being, and personally Evangelion made me so mad, that words can't describe. (Also most of my friends from the anime community thinks the same about Evangelion, so I think we have a point there)

So first of all what is this anime?
  • Mecha - save the world from giant things with a giant robot
  • Shounen - the main character gets "stronger" (confident in himself) and beats the crap out of things
  • Character drama - most (if no all) characters have a tragic backstory, and we have to understand and relate to their problems?
Well these are the most things that pops into one's mind after watching it. But it's not a typical Mecha, it is just part of the plot, and never means much. It's not even close to shounen. And for the character drama part, they don't solve anything (except for the one sting the NGE last two episodes try to do, but that was NEVER ment to be, the animes endig was ment to be the End of evangelion film made int an anime).

So let's dig deeper. Because I was desperate to find something that was good in the show, after watching it.
  • Is it perhaps a shounen deconstruction - Yes it is. But deconstructing a genre generally means that the overall startingpoint ts the same. As such we would need ana actual protagonist who is willing to become a hero, and then crumples in the dark side of things. Well it didn't put it that way, but I can say that it certainly is a shounen deconstruction.
  • So many people have an opinion that this anime is all about the interactions of certain characters. Well that is true (and that aspect literally kills everything beforehand). The main thing is Shinji's interactions with most characters doesn't mean anything. If it'd meant anything to him then it would have changed something (and thinking about what X person said/did do Shinji doesn't count as a changing his mentality/opinion/way of thinking, because he always end's up in the "Running away" question).
  • What about the religios symbolism that is anything everyone (weather religious or not) got some of. Well this topic is not my cup of tea, but I'm educated enough of religions that I can make a fairly descent point of this (+ I've spent too much hours trying to understand this show, and reading articles/forums about it). So this whole system of Angels + Humans and Adam and Eve are really telling that something is up with the Genesis (Neon Genesis). The cycle of life, the kabala, and the two sexes are present is some form. That leads us to a theory that describes a greater meaning that the Bible alone didn't (+ some sci-fi elements and whatnot). And there is that one line that gives us the perspective of what the Seele could be like, when they mention that they do NOT want to create a new god.

Now I conclude my comment with my opinion about these topics. (note that I really like symbolism in literature, poems etc. so I basically got most of it during the watching phase, and I gathered the rest during the time I was searching for my answers)
Evangelion started off right with a great setting, some good characters, good fights bearable depression level of Shinji, some great interactions with Katsuragi and Gendo. Rei was the shining star for me when she slapped Shinji, and we got some perspective of her motives. But then.... All crumbles because they wanted more. They wanted so much that every genius part fell apart by the perssure of another genius part. And as the show was getting to the ending every single character, the world saving part, the mystery behind Adam, and the Angels were too much. The show ended with disapontment for most.

Note again: if you don't agree with me that is perfectly fine. I know how controversial this topic is. I looked up, researched a lot about Evangelion. I still don't know if my point is wrong or right in this regard, so please bare with me.

PS: I know that some people fabricated some behíd the scene symbolic meaning to it, but it was confirmed by none other than Hideki Anno that Evangelion was never ment to fulfill those theories.
Jun 3, 2016 2:07 AM

Jan 2014
ixaa said:
romagia said:
that's unusual.....

+1. If you've already read the manga and don't want to watch the old TV Shows, then watch these movies. Though a lot of events are taken out or changed, the main plot is still there and it's pretty enjoyable. The art isn't old as fuck either lol. But weird shit happens in the 3rd movie (pretty much completely diverges from the manga, except for the Kaworu part) so be cautious.
Which one should I watch, I already download End of Evangelion and 3rd movie (you can't redo), should I watch death & rebirth too ?

romagia said:
HiatusXHiatus said:
The last chapter released a week after the original series ended delves far deeper into existentialism and the cruelty of the circle of life than the original post-modern social commentary ever did. It is a beautiful thing to behold.

With only two characters present, Shinji and Kaoru, Hideaki Anno (the creator) can deliver a highly complex psycho-analysis of these five-dimensional characters. Shinji's tragic past, coupled with his incredible love and reliance on Kaoru, makes for an amazing character, no, PERSON, that transcends the medium and becomes a real, human being. Shinji's denial of Kaoru's wish to start the instrumentality, that we saw in the earlier episodes, have deeply scarred Shinji and makes him question if Kaoru does truly love him
Yeah if I see it on character perspective it's quite good point but I see it on more story perspective, so I didn't really notice this.
Jun 3, 2016 2:08 AM

Jun 2014
Well, I finished reading it several months ago, and thanks to my horrendous memory, I don't really recall all too much of it, other than it had a lot of similarities with the show, but also some differences. For the most part, it all made sense to me, so, while I can't speak for whether or not it's 'normal' to not get it, I thought it was pretty straightforward. Only the bit at the very end with
didn't make much sense to me, but that was because it just seemed out of place. I don't know, it was probably just an intro into the Rebuilds.
Jun 3, 2016 2:19 AM

Jun 2014
HiatusXHiatus said:
]Which one should I watch, I already download End of Evangelion and 3rd movie (you can't redo), should I watch death & rebirth too ?

Well, Death & Rebirth is basically a summarised version of the show for the first half (Death), and the second half (Rebirth) is the first half of End of Eva. So I'd recommend watching the show completely and then End, or just watch Death & Rebirth + the latter half of End (Note: I have not actually seen Death & Rebirth so I don't know how good it is, I only know that its a recap and a bit of End).

As for the Rebuilds, my opinion is that they are inferior to the original series (I've only seen 1.0 and 2.0). I'd recommend watching 1.0 seeing as its extremely similar to the first 6 eps of the show, but then if you'd watch the show, the art quality will drop sharply. On the flip-side I do feel that some of the changes in 2.0 are for the worse. But if you've already got 3.0, might as well just go full Rebuild if you want.
Jun 3, 2016 2:21 AM

Dec 2015
It usually takes to viewings of the show to fully understand the show.
Jun 3, 2016 2:24 AM

Jan 2014
DerpCat said:
HiatusXHiatus said:
]Which one should I watch, I already download End of Evangelion and 3rd movie (you can't redo), should I watch death & rebirth too ?

Well, Death & Rebirth is basically a summarised version of the show for the first half (Death), and the second half (Rebirth) is the first half of End of Eva. So I'd recommend watching the show completely and then End, or just watch Death & Rebirth + the latter half of End (Note: I have not actually seen Death & Rebirth so I don't know how good it is, I only know that its a recap and a bit of End).

As for the Rebuilds, my opinion is that they are inferior to the original series (I've only seen 1.0 and 2.0). I'd recommend watching 1.0 seeing as its extremely similar to the first 6 eps of the show, but then if you'd watch the show, the art quality will drop sharply. On the flip-side I do feel that some of the changes in 2.0 are for the worse. But if you've already got 3.0, might as well just go full Rebuild if you want.

Oh I just realized that I already watch the rebuilds movie long time ago far before reading the manga, only 1.0 and 2.0 though (you can see them in my list). The story is different than the main, expecially the memorable dummy system scene.
Jun 3, 2016 2:29 AM

Oct 2013
Its just a total mind fuck. You should watch the anime since its the original. I always feel that if its an original anime then I should stay clear of the manga versions all together. They tend to change things in the story.

You should seriously watch the anime as there will most likely be more details and its just how its supposed to be experienced. The ending is mostly Shinji's mind going kapoot! Kaboom! Kabam! BOOM!

The Evanglion Movie is like whats going on OUTSIDE if his head and of course ends with much more mind fucks to leave you confused.

Edit:

I just saw a review for the manga. I guess the manga does show more detail. I might give it a go lol
TheNoseOfDeathJun 3, 2016 2:36 AM
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 3, 2016 2:33 AM

Jun 2008
If you understood NGE, you're lying.
Jun 3, 2016 2:36 AM

Mar 2014
No

You just got trolled without realizing it, just like everybody else who didn't like it
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 3, 2016 2:53 AM

Dec 2015
It was fairly obvious for me but it's normal for people to not understand it. I believe Hideaki Anno even got death threads for making the ending so incomprehensible (correct me if I'm wrong) so you're not alone.
Jun 3, 2016 3:02 AM

May 2016
I want to say that i understand the ending, but the truth is, i really don't.
At least some people are on the same boat as you.
Jun 3, 2016 3:09 AM

Aug 2014
Isn't the eva manga pretty bad- manga adaptations generally have a pretty bad reputation? Also the eva tv show is a visual masterpeice which some amazing mech animation- go watch it ;).

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jun 3, 2016 3:13 AM

Jan 2014
black1blade said:
Isn't the eva manga pretty bad- manga adaptations generally have a pretty bad reputation? Also the eva tv show is a visual masterpeice which some amazing mech animation- go watch it ;).
How do you find that reputation? If you look at the rating and reviews, manga is better than anime actually.
Jun 3, 2016 3:50 AM

Jul 2015
yeah that anime was too deep
but after i watched this video , i understand it better

Jun 3, 2016 3:51 AM

Aug 2014
HiatusXHiatus said:
black1blade said:
How do you find that reputation? If you look at the rating and reviews, manga is better than anime actually.

Manga adaptations of anime original shows.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jun 3, 2016 3:56 AM

Jan 2014
tragedydesu said:
yeah that anime was too deep
but after i watched this video , i understand it better

Hahaha, this is epic
black1blade said:
HiatusXHiatus said:

You can't generalize things you know...

Okay I'm done for today.
Jun 3, 2016 4:15 AM

Jun 2014
black1blade said:
HiatusXHiatus said:

I thought it was pretty good. There were certain aspects that I thought it actually did better than the show, possibly due to the time constraints that the show which the manga didn't. Honestly, even considering the changes that I thought were negative, I really wouldn't say that it was ever bad.
Jun 3, 2016 4:20 AM

Feb 2016
holysauron said:
It was fairly obvious for me but it's normal for people to not understand it. I believe Hideaki Anno even got death threads for making the ending so incomprehensible (correct me if I'm wrong) so you're not alone.

If it was vairly obvious for you , could you explain it for us ?
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Jun 3, 2016 4:20 AM

May 2009
Pray to Tabris so he may enlighten you with the truth. Kidding.

Yeah the ending is hard to understand. (I'm re-watching it now) My personal interpretation is that don't let prepubescent 'broken' teenagers pilot beings that transcend even human logic and understanding.

#KaworuIStheMAN.

On another note, I'm not sure if this will evoke any kind of discussion.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Jun 3, 2016 4:24 AM

Oct 2015
Oh yes I get to post my favourite pic again!

Although I think you should watch the series if you want to understand it better, or at least, watch the movie End of Evangelion, which provides a better sense of closure to the series (whilst being a middle finger to fans lol).
Jun 3, 2016 6:11 AM

Dec 2015
hisokathebutcher said:
holysauron said:

Well, you should consider what kind of person Shinji is. Throughout the series it becomes pretty obvious that he suffers from depression given his behavior. It's especially blatant in the second half of the series. Now I could easily recognize this because I recognize the symptoms from my own stepfather who is battling depression at this exact moment, but I think this is something most people would have found out by now.

now this is just how I see it. I haven't seen End Of Evangelion yet and I don't want myself to get spoiled so maybe I'm wrong.
Jun 3, 2016 6:26 AM

Feb 2016
holysauron said:
hisokathebutcher said:

Well, you should consider what kind of person Shinji is. Throughout the series it becomes pretty obvious that he suffers from depression given his behavior. It's especially blatant in the second half of the series. Now I could easily recognize this because I recognize the symptoms from my own stepfather who is battling depression at this exact moment, but I think this is something most people would have found out by now.

now this is just how I see it. I haven't seen End Of Evangelion yet and I don't want myself to get spoiled so maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks mate , that does make sense , though my problem is that there was no reason to use religous symboles and shit
It just feel they wanted to make the series more intersting and that cause it to feel like a fucking limbo
Anyway i didnt like it lol haven't even finished it ,.
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Jun 3, 2016 6:57 AM

Dec 2015
hisokathebutcher said:
holysauron said:

Thanks mate , that does make sense , though my problem is that there was no reason to use religous symboles and shit
It just feel they wanted to make the series more intersting and that cause it to feel like a fucking limbo
Anyway i didnt like it lol haven't even finished it ,.

The religious stuff was only there because Anno thought it was cool. He even said people shouldn't read too much into it. Funny enough that's actually one of the things I knew before starting the series but went completely over my head while watching it except for the crosses. It was only after looking at the TV Tropes page I noticed how much of I missed.
Jun 3, 2016 9:45 AM

Aug 2014
Jun 3, 2016 10:07 AM
Jul 2015
HiatusXHiatus said:
Marnie said:
When I see your profile I didn't see you finished watching it yet, 20/26 episode...

That's enough episodes to determine that the show has great animation. That's 76% of the show.
Jun 12, 2019 11:39 AM

Jul 2016
Yeah it is, the Anime tells the story in a convoluted fashion. The manga explains everything better though
Jun 12, 2019 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
The anime literally has the 'dementia' tag. And there are many endings to it (ep 26/EoE/manga and the upcoming 3.0+1.0) because it's impossible to clonclude a story like this in a satisfactory way while making sense.
--ALEX-- said:
If you understood NGE, you're lying.

+1
Jun 12, 2019 12:12 PM

Nov 2017
Personally, I interpreted as overcoming anxiety, depression, and self hate.
ロード中です...

More topics from this board

» Who is the real creator of Evangelion? Yoshiyuki Sadamoto or hideaki anno?

Taiyaa - Mar 18

7 by Pundarikaksh »»
Apr 11, 2:53 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Chapter 95.5 (Last Stage) Discussion

VioLink - Jun 2, 2013

48 by theAce_ »»
Feb 7, 6:09 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Chapter 96 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Feb 16, 2015

20 by psyche-K »»
Jan 2, 2:53 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Chapter 3 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Nov 15, 2012

8 by psyche-K »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Chapter 12 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Nov 18, 2012

9 by Brun33 »»
Oct 8, 2023 5:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.