Forum Settings
Forums

Batman: The Killing Joke animated movie has a trailer

New
Apr 28, 2016 5:48 AM

Oct 2014
After all the Batman vs Superman hype dissipates with the release of Captain America: Civil War, another DC movie is coming out and it's a proper adaptation of one of the greatest Batman comics of all time. It's also the one which Heath Ledger used as a guide for his role as the Joker in The Dark Knight. The Killing Joke is personally one of my favorite comics and I'm looking at it next to me (I have a copy) as I type this.

I have to say I'm not very happy with the animation at all. It doesn't seem smooth even though the art-style is accurate and is reminiscent of the original graphic novel's. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill seem to be doing what they do best as usual but I still worry whether the animation will actually do well enough to evoke the tragic and sometimes, terrifying feel of the graphic novel. I dunno, see how it goes with the DVD/Blu-ray release.
Apr 28, 2016 8:54 AM

Sep 2013
Maybe the DCEU should have been animated. That's what WB/DC excels at. Give the production teams a larger budget and then do some aggressive marketing. Because aside from the Dark Knight Trilogy and their early efforts, their time with live-action has been rough. Maybe they'll get it together, Suicide Squad looks interesting.
May 2, 2016 11:27 PM

Feb 2015
the animation looks stiff as heck. like where the koreans at DC >.>
May 3, 2016 12:06 AM

Oct 2015
It looks cool, I'll check it out.
May 3, 2016 1:27 AM

Aug 2013
Seen higher animation budget on an episode of scooby doo
May 3, 2016 8:41 AM

Dec 2015
TomDay said:

Spooks said:

Yeah what's up with that?
I've been really looking forward to this because Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy are returning and the comic it's based on is legendary. But the poor quality animation is making me question whether the rest of the production will be such shoddy quality.
May 3, 2016 8:55 AM

Jul 2013
Mar Hamill alone is enough to make me watch it. Love the comic.
May 3, 2016 9:40 AM

Aug 2013
Looking forward to the added backstory for Batgirl that wasn't in the graphic novel. They did a great job replicating the look of the graphic novel mainly when it comes to the Joker. Too soon to judge the animation based on solely a minute and a quarter trailer.
May 5, 2016 12:14 PM

Feb 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
TomDay said:

Spooks said:

Yeah what's up with that?
I've been really looking forward to this because Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy are returning and the comic it's based on is legendary. But the poor quality animation is making me question whether the rest of the production will be such shoddy quality.

i hope harliequin won't be in the story as well, while she is a wonderful partner to joker, i want this to be a one-on-one thing.
i also read some really amazing things about her in the big ol' book of batman yesterday

LOL @SPOOKS HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
May 5, 2016 12:18 PM

Feb 2015
oh, wait a minute. this is the killing joke? holy smack, i read a lot about this just yesterday and people say it's unbelievably good. and it's animated like this? this just got even more pathetic.

but i really think i'll check this out anyway, especially since this actually seems legitimately dark.

SPOILER
TomDayMay 5, 2016 12:23 PM
May 5, 2016 12:59 PM
Jul 2018
I'm just happy to see Mark is on it. I never read the comics for this all the way so might as well give this a go.
May 5, 2016 1:19 PM

Jan 2013
Meh. Honestly I think alot of the Killing Joke especially the ending will not be able to work in animated form. The ambiguity of alot of it will be robbed. I also think alot of batfans need to move on from the story at this point. Its a pretty mean spirited story and while on its own its pretty good I feel in the greater context of comics the obsession with it is bad. I feel it would do more good to take the thematic points of Moores other work into account rather than focus on this one really brutal take.

As with DKR I would just like to let the book stand on its own at this point rather than it being this pervasive influence. Also same with DKR I feel that these animated adaptations just give the most generic character designs for what were originally very stylistically bold comics.

Its interesting to me at least because the Killing Joke is has a somewhat strange place in my love of Moores work. On one hand even Moore would concede that it goes way to fucking far with some characters and I for one hold that the Barbara Gordon stuff is a bit too fucked up for my tastes, on the other hand I think that the origin story for the Joker is one of the best revisionist takes on a character ever created. Its a weird catch-22 where I both agree with Moore on why he thinks the story is bad but I also think certain aspects of the story are truly fantastic.

It also doesnt really need to be rated R. To quote Devin Faraci in this fantastic article he did on it

"The Killing Joke is meanspirited, and it has an ugliness to it that reflects the times. But what makes The Killing Joke great isn't the violence and nudity but the underlying moral issues, which seem to be rarely discussed. The Killing Joke is a riff on the story of Job - can the Devil break a good man? It predates Se7en as the story of a maniac who attacks someone close to a figure of order in attempt to bring him to chaos. That's the true adult content of The Killing Joke, and I'll tell you what - you don't need an R-rating to make that work. "

TLDR: I like it but am reserved both about the stories continued fanbase and about how it would work in animation.
dadnabflwqbekjMay 5, 2016 1:32 PM
May 5, 2016 9:22 PM

Apr 2016
I like the comic and everything, but the Killing Joke had a lot of problems, and a lot more that I don't think can exactly get properly animated.

I guess I just hope this animated movie tightens it up some.

"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."
May 5, 2016 10:27 PM

Feb 2015
I'll definitely be watching it, and I'm really looking forward to another performance by Mark Hamill (my favorite Joker), but I'm personally not a big fan of The Killing Joke. I understand why a lot of fans like it, but I'd honestly rather see something else like Death of the Family get adapted. Or maybe Zero Year, that was probably the best Batman comic arc I've ever had the privilege of reading.

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7586 by juanlqr »»
1 hour ago

» hardcore/skramz/emo/metalcore/post-hardcore/post-metal/blackened/crust

bloodecho - Feb 14

31 by Mattenan »»
8 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

3 by Theo1899 »»
8 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3384 by NiaAlexandria »»
9 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

11 by Toooooooooohru »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.