Forum Settings
Forums

Do you guys think that hollywood is really white washing, or do you not care and think that a white person casted onto an ADAPTATION is whatever?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 10, 2016 8:51 AM

Jan 2010
semss-Pack said:
idk u got what I mean, or my english really bad when implied or understand it, In simple way, I want to say that the popular thing now is moaningcomplaining. But, yeah look like u are already prepare if somekind of korean backlash happen xD

Well, I highly doubt that. Because the people that complain about it probably never keep up their news about South Korea's rise in cultural superpower or are just racist. If there was a backlash, a lot of hallyu/K-pop fans will come in mass number to defend the stars from these backlashes.
May 23, 2016 8:32 PM

Jan 2010
Hate to bump the topic, but how many of you are reacting to "yellow-washing" of the live-action FMA:

Fullmetal Alchemist Manga Gets Live-Action Film in Winter 2017

I mean look at this:

I mean why the hell didn't the producers hired Hollywood actors/actresses to play the characters from FMA when South Korea and China were able to get them??? The people that are calling white-washing over Hollywood film, are you going to make that same complaint about the live-action FMA??? Or is it because Asian supremacy is so much better.
mdo7May 23, 2016 8:39 PM
May 23, 2016 8:58 PM

Jul 2013
Again with this subject... uffff, can't let it go.

I don't care. Actor should be casted for skills in order to portray the character. PC be dammned. Doesn't mean asian actors shouldn't get roles, they should because of their skills.
May 23, 2016 9:58 PM

Apr 2015
mdo7 said:
Hate to bump the topic, but how many of you are reacting to "yellow-washing" of the live-action FMA:

Fullmetal Alchemist Manga Gets Live-Action Film in Winter 2017

I mean look at this:

I mean why the hell didn't the producers hired Hollywood actors/actresses to play the characters from FMA when South Korea and China were able to get them??? The people that are calling white-washing over Hollywood film, are you going to make that same complaint about the live-action FMA??? Or is it because Asian supremacy is so much better.

You're missing the point entirely...

Whitewashing is considered a problem because Hollywood casts mainly white actors, so non-white actors don't get as many acting opportunities. So when there's an Asian character and they're still giving the role to a white person, people get upset over it. White people already get more roles in Hollywood, so when they cast an Asian actor to portray an originally white character, it's not that big of a deal.
chizzlezMay 23, 2016 10:01 PM
May 24, 2016 6:33 AM

Jan 2010
Blahkabelison said:

You're missing the point entirely...

Whitewashing is considered a problem because Hollywood casts mainly white actors, so non-white actors don't get as many acting opportunities. So when there's an Asian character and they're still giving the role to a white person, people get upset over it. White people already get more roles in Hollywood, so when they cast an Asian actor to portray an originally white character, it's not that big of a deal.

I agree with Hollywood and the problem of whitewashing of Asian characters. However, I can't ignore what Japan has been doing too, this is why I accused critics of Hollywood whitewashing of double standard and hypocrisy and probably Asian supremacy. So that's why I treat Japan's yellow-washing of white character the same way like Hollywood's whitewashing of Asian characters.

Also, if you didn't bother reading my other posts. Japan should've been able to get Hollywood actors to play the character when South Korea and China were able to do it for Snowpiercer, and Dragon Blade. So the yellow-washing for Japan's adaptation of Attack on Titan, and Fullmetal Alchemist is really un-justified and no better then Hollywood whitewashing.
mdo7May 24, 2016 6:37 AM
May 24, 2016 7:37 AM

May 2010
Whitewashing isn't a real problem for me, and I don't give a damn about who is starring in it, as long as I can watch good movies.

But Scarlett Johansson completely isn't suited for this role, I mean she doesn't look remotely like Motoko Kusunagi. It's like they've chosen her only because she is a popular actresses.
May 26, 2016 2:51 PM

Jan 2010
I like to say that I'm disgusted with this double standard when it comes to white-washing, I mean read this article:

No white people will star in the ‘Fullmetal Alchemist’ movie, and that’s a beautiful thing

This article reek of weeabooism and implied Asian supremacy and the author of this article said he was OK with this type of whitewashing yet attack Hollywood for doing it.
May 27, 2016 12:24 AM

Jan 2015
mdo7 said:
I like to say that I'm disgusted with this double standard when it comes to white-washing, I mean read this article:

No white people will star in the ‘Fullmetal Alchemist’ movie, and that’s a beautiful thing

This article reek of weeabooism and implied Asian supremacy and the author of this article said he was OK with this type of whitewashing yet attack Hollywood for doing it.
u missed it here mdo7. lot of dude hre not even want to care whatever [put the word]-washing implied, as long as the movie itself is doing good or not.
u better make new thread bout that matter though, if u want to attack that ansian sjw

la critique de l'intention pure
May 27, 2016 6:01 AM

Jan 2010
semss-Pack said:
mdo7 said:

u missed it here mdo7. lot of dude hre not even want to care whatever [put the word]-washing implied, as long as the movie itself is doing good or not.
u better make new thread bout that matter though, if u want to attack that ansian sjw

I'm not going to waste time creating a new thread regarding it. But I really hate the double standard when it comes to whitewashing.

You can't just demonize Hollywood Whitewashing yet praise Japan for doing the same. That's like saying people should demonize muslim/Islam for being terrorist yet when a christian a terrorist attack, the same people say Christian aren't terrorist. I mean it just unfair and it spew of racism and implied Asian supremacy.
mdo7May 27, 2016 6:07 AM
May 27, 2016 7:40 PM

Jan 2015
mdo7 said:
semss-Pack said:

I'm not going to waste time creating a new thread regarding it. But I really hate the double standard when it comes to whitewashing.

You can't just demonize Hollywood Whitewashing yet praise Japan for doing the same. That's like saying people should demonize muslim/Islam for being terrorist yet when a christian a terrorist attack, the same people say Christian aren't terrorist. I mean it just unfair and it spew of racism and implied Asian supremacy.
mdo7 said:
semss-Pack said:

who demonized who,i think u're accused me and some ppl here wrong
if u want attack them(the ansian sjw) for what to be called double standard, well if not fr thread then maybe better directly, because look like ur rant did not grab their attention, much

May 28, 2016 12:48 AM
Jul 2018
I don't have the energy to give that many fucks about Hollywood besides the movies I like and the stars I think are eyecandy.
May 28, 2016 2:42 AM

Aug 2013
Japanese person "It looks more anime-ish if actors aren't japanese" even they see it.

May 28, 2016 4:36 AM

Dec 2013
Hollywood is white-washing. That's unquestionable. They're looking to turn a profit and see this as the most-profitable avenue.

That being said, I don't have an issue with a white woman playing the lead of GITS though. I just don't care too much, her character isn't inherently Japanese or anything. That being said, there are other characters that are inherently Japanese.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
May 28, 2016 6:56 AM

Jan 2010
semss-Pack said:
if u want attack them(the ansian sjw) for what to be called double standard, well if not fr thread then maybe better directly, because look like ur rant did not grab their attention, much

I already ranted about it on Twitter. I'm not going to waste time creating a thread dedicated on calling out their double standard.
May 28, 2016 7:28 AM

Jan 2015
mdo7 said:
semss-Pack said:

I already ranted about it on Twitter. I'm not going to waste time creating a thread dedicated on calling out their double standard.
well it's up to you, maybe better that way

May 28, 2016 9:48 PM

Apr 2014
Scarlett should be cast in every anime adaptation.
May 28, 2016 10:30 PM
Jul 2018
ScarJo just ain't the Major.
May 28, 2016 11:59 PM

Apr 2013
Yes they are and they can continue to do whatever makes them more money.

Let's be real. Casting a white person as one of the lead roles makes sense in a white dominated country.
May 29, 2016 12:45 AM
Feb 2014
hoopla123 said:

Let's be real. Casting a white person as one of the lead roles makes sense in a white dominated country.

It's no big deal, this literally is America here, we don't have to push more multiculturalism in our films because there's no use making America more tolerant for the sake of crowd pleasing. But that shouldn't really mean we're a bad/racist country, just means that cultural appropriation is BS.

t. Asian
May 29, 2016 1:14 AM

Apr 2013
The_Nico said:
hoopla123 said:

It's no big deal, this literally is America here, we don't have to push more multiculturalism in our films because there's no use making America more tolerant for the sake of crowd pleasing. But that shouldn't really mean we're a bad/racist country, just means that cultural appropriation is BS.

t. Asian

^

100% agree.

People making this such a big deal lmao
Jun 9, 2016 7:37 AM

Oct 2014
Sorry for necroing the thread but I didn't want to create a brand new topic. Anyway, people complaining about the white-washing of Asian characters would be glad to know that Steven Spielberg has casted a Japanese bilingual popstar named Win Morisaki in the role of a Japanese character in his movie Ready Player One which comes out in 2018. Not American-Asian, I tell you. An actual Japanese dude, although he was born in Myanmar.
Nov 17, 2016 12:00 AM
May 2010
The ironic thing is that people are now bitching about the FMA live action movie being "yellow-washing". Fucking yellow people, you cracka are calling us, what the actual fuck. The double-standards and passive racism comments thrown around the FMA movie are ridiculous.
Nov 17, 2016 12:13 AM
Mar 2011
Rogue_DeWolff said:
The ironic thing is that people are now bitching about the FMA live action movie being "yellow-washing". Fucking yellow people, you cracka are calling us, what the actual fuck. The double-standards and passive racism comments thrown around the FMA movie are ridiculous.

mdo7 is tool of the korea govermnet he ok with have more talented muiscaon get burried fby not having gover money bakcing them stuff llike art should eb ased on skill not onye bakcing them
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 17, 2016 12:57 AM

Nov 2008
sleeplesstown said:
ScarJo just ain't the Major.
I've tried to think of an actress suitable for the role, and the only remotely appealing one I came up with is Brie Larson, whom I've seen in Room and Short Term 12. She's young, attractive and a good actress.

Everyone else that sprang to mind was too old to be a cyborg.

Which answers the question. I don't care about the ethnicity of the actor so long as the setting is made appropriate.

The blond-haired Eric looks horrible in the FMA movie.

Nov 20, 2016 7:25 AM
Nov 2016
What about all the female voice actresses who lend their voices to male characters?
Or Japanese voice actors with their non-Japanese characters?
Or what about normal humans playing hobbits or any other kind of non-human creature?!?!?!!?!?1 :p

Nah, that may be a little too extreme. But do you get my point?
If the actor is just good at portraying a character, then what does it matter what race, ethnicity, gender or age the actor has?
Nov 20, 2016 8:18 AM

Oct 2010
I can say that I don't care about the ethnicity of the actor or actress as long as their work delivers and fulfills the standards of credibility these characters need. However, if when looked from the production side this means less job opportunities for certain minorities, it's then when this becomes an issue. The problem of this thread is that it assumes that I either am perfectly fine with the moral and conceptual consequences of white-washing, or I refuse to see the value of every piece of fiction built around or falling into this. I think it is something that needs to be revised and analyzed, and avoided if it is necessary, but I'm not going to enjoy less the film as a spectator just because of that.

The specific case of GiTS is one of my lesser concerns on the matter because I never even associated a specific ethnicity to the character of Major Kusanagi and I didn't find its setting and concepts any restrictive for a Western-based approach.
Nov 20, 2016 11:47 PM
May 2010
Ezekiel said:

Doesn't justify the prejudice against Asian actors getting anime roles, least of all calling us "yellow people". It's pure hypocrisy, those people who call out on the FMA movie, because they were probably comfortable with the whitewashing in American movies like Dr. Strange, but suddenly becomes fucking triggered when us Asians do it.
Nov 21, 2016 12:35 AM

Jan 2015
Rogue_DeWolff said:
Ezekiel said:

Doesn't justify the prejudice against Asian actors getting anime roles, least of all calling us "yellow people". It's pure hypocrisy, those people who call out on the FMA movie, because they were probably comfortable with the whitewashing in American movies like Dr. Strange, but suddenly becomes fucking triggered when us Asians do it.
i don't think it was the sole issue ppl complain about his race, the guy just pure look shit baby face as his selling point and even literally can't act for elric role judge by his previous movie.

there some young jap actor that i believe will lot better than him.
karambiaNov 21, 2016 12:48 AM

Nov 21, 2016 12:39 AM

Apr 2011
Rogue_DeWolff said:
Ezekiel said:

Are you serious? People were up in arms about the Ancient One being played by a white woman and not an Asian and honestly, all this complaining happens mainly with western movies, especially Hollywood. In fact, Japan usually don't get nearly as much flak if they portray/change an originally western character with a Japanese actor/actress.
Nov 21, 2016 1:55 AM

Nov 2008
Rogue_DeWolff said:
Ezekiel said:

His name is Edward Elric and he has blond hair. This Japanese actor is a terrible choice, because it doesn't make sense. But it's expected from the Japanese.

I don't even know what Dr. Strange is.
EzekielNov 21, 2016 2:01 AM

Nov 21, 2016 6:13 AM

Apr 2011
Ezekiel said:

It's the latest entry in the MCU. Came out last week. Quite good too, imo.
Nov 21, 2016 7:07 AM

Jan 2015
Ezekiel said:
Rogue_DeWolff said:

His name is Edward Elric and he has blond hair. This Japanese actor is a terrible choice, because it doesn't make sense. But it's expected from the Japanese.
lol, I don't think it need to make sense at japanese level of live adaptation

Nov 21, 2016 7:32 AM

Nov 2008
yhunata said:
Ezekiel said:

It's the latest entry in the MCU. Came out last week. Quite good too, imo.
I had to look up (remind myself) what MCU is. I don't like superheroes.

I stand by what I said. Any race is fine as long as the adapted setting is appropriate.

Rogue, if you wanna see what bad whitewashing is, watch Charlton Heston as a Mexican in Touch of Evil or Mickey Rooney as a Japanese stereotype in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Or Alec Guinness as an Arabian in Lawrence of Arabia. A white actor playing a white version of a character is fine. A Japanese playing a European character with blond hair and a Germanic name is bad.
EzekielNov 21, 2016 7:38 AM

Nov 21, 2016 10:10 AM

Oct 2014
It literally is a non-issue - I don't think most Asians here in Southeast Asia care much at all, heck, there was a video where someone went around asked Japanese folk on the streets if they cared - most didn't.

Nov 28, 2016 6:31 AM

Jun 2008
leNerd said:
I hate this PC movement so so much. Please stop. Its getting so ridiculous.
Agreed. I'm getting cancer just reading all this PC crap.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Nov 29, 2016 1:07 AM

Jul 2009
Funny because a person were mad when they casted a black actress for Hermione
Nov 29, 2016 1:13 AM
Mar 2011
karambia said:
Ezekiel said:

most japanese live action are more accurae to there sources than us one are that is fact

this one will not be that is act si it a bad adapation cuase of this
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 29, 2016 1:44 AM

Jan 2015
DateYutaka said:
most japanese live action are more accurae to there sources than us one are that is fact

both still have bad precision

Nov 29, 2016 1:50 AM
Mar 2011
karambia said:
DateYutaka said:

both still have bad precision

nope alot of live action adataions in Japan have as excuative consulatnat the oriinal cerator of the piece they are adating

unlike us ones

hence why there are sucj huge chnages in say the harry potter ot LotR movies o us comic book moves that are only in name only adpations most of the time

compare ot 20th centrtu boys were only the ending is diffrent since the ending was not out in manga from yet the final movie the that triolgy was rlsed 4 issues before the final chapter of the manga

Nov 29, 2016 9:49 PM

Nov 2008
DateYutaka said:
karambia said:

I'm not sure why that matters. Being completely accurate isn't always a good thing, as evidenced by these awful looking Japanese movies. I don't know why you'd want a movie that's made completely redundant by the source. The new Beauty and the Beast looks so pointless.

Nov 29, 2016 9:52 PM
Mar 2011
Ezekiel said:
DateYutaka said:

I'm not sure why that matters. Being completely accurate isn't always a good thing, as evidenced by these awful looking Japanese movies. I don't know why you'd want a movie that's made completely redundant by the source. The new Beauty and the Beast looks so pointless.

why adatt it if yu chnage so much ot amke it untrbaed to the sorce

i care about lookese i rate CGI so look mean shit to me

side note
i think this adation will be about at dune level

Nov 29, 2016 10:32 PM

Jan 2015
DateYutaka said:

nope alot of live action adataions in Japan have as excuative consulatnat the oriinal cerator of the piece they are adating
it was pointless to be accurate. eventho' it bring money mostly it become unworthy as movie-feature.

hence why there are sucj huge chnages in say the harry potter ot LotR movies o us comic book moves that are [only in name only adpations most of the time

compare ot 20th centrtu boys were only the ending is diffrent since the ending was not out in manga from yet the final movie the that triolgy was rlsed 4 issues before the final chapter of the manga
never read each of the original sources(read a bit of 20 century tho'), but LoTR is far far better rather than 20th century boys live action. Talk as a "movie" tbh.

Nov 29, 2016 10:42 PM
Mar 2011
karambia said:
DateYutaka said:

it was pointless to be accurate. eventho' it bring money mostly it become unworthy as movie-feature.

hence why there are sucj huge chnages in say the harry potter ot LotR movies o us comic book moves that are [only in name only adpations most of the time

never read the original source, but LoTR is far far better rather than 20th century boys live action as a "movie" tbh.

as fabn of the novel most of the chanes buged he fuck out me cause hye were needless ones an di was to CGI hevey too when a chinese tv show can get 10's of thusabds of extars for e battle sceebe like they did in the newest san gou remake

and and holly wood movie has ot rely i cgi for t battle sceens

like helm deep for exmaple i hink sould have use exrat in make up not CGI things

Tactile things are more beliveabke than non tactile thing

this is another reason why as a movie 20 cent boys in better of intrysive CGI im sorry that immration braker for me all the CGI

Nov 29, 2016 11:08 PM

Jan 2015
DateYutaka said:
karambia said:

never read the original source, but LoTR is far far better rather than 20th century boys live action as a "movie" tbh.

as fabn of the novel most of the chanes buged he fuck out me cause hye were needless ones an di was to CGI hevey too when a chinese tv show can get 10's of thusabds of extars for e battle sceebe like they did in the newest san gou remake

like helm deep for exmaple i hink sould have use exrat in make up not CGI things

this is another reason why as a movie 20 cent boys in better of intrysive CGI im sorry that immration braker for me all the CGI
if you think the use of CGI as solely factor as worthy and unworthy in movies then idk how to talk. The use cgi extra could be tricky, if it they could make it more seamesly and well attached in movie the I don't have much prob.

I prefer practical but I don't hate the use CGI, some could be interesting like giant blackhole and giant wormhole in interstellar or the like gravity. it depend on how they used it. Ofc it annoyed sometimes and have tend to be less interesting if it flooding with or too relied heavily with CGI

LoTR was prime example for very good work of practical and CGI implemented in movie in latest decade imo and there no corelation for poor movie like 20th century boy beat it bcoz of "the use of CGI"

Also what is "helm deep"

Nov 29, 2016 11:18 PM
Mar 2011
karambia said:
DateYutaka said:

if you think the use of CGI as solely factor as worthy and unworthy in movies then idk how to talk. The use cgi extra could be tricky, if it they could make it more seamesly and well attached in movie the I don't have much prob.

I prefer practical but I don't hate the use CGI, some could be interesting like giant blackhole and giant wormhole in interstellar or the like gravity. it depend on how they used it. Ofc it annoyed sometimes and have tend to be less interesting if it flooding with or too relied heavily with CGI

LoTR was prime example for very good work of practical and CGI implemented in movie in latest decade imo and there no corelation for poor movie like 20th century boy beat it bcoz of "the use of CGI"

Also what is "helm deep"

helms deep sorry for the typo

llook a tv show in china a higher real people to be exrats in battle seccese

like exmaple the battle of wuzhang plain in that TV show had full ranks on boths sides

not one person CG'ed in tht 300k people a chiese tv shoe did that that incuded 20k people dressed ad niman tribel people

but a hollywood movie liek LoTR coudl not get even 1/6 of that in exrats ofr helms deep battle

when in fact it was a battle with no dragons or mumakill in it and niman tibel war paint that was used in san gou is not to dismiiler to the make up used for uaku hai in LoTR's

Nov 29, 2016 11:45 PM

Jan 2015
DateYutaka said:
karambia said:

Also what is "helm deep"

helms deep sorry for the typo

llook a tv show in china a higher real people to be exrats in battle seccese

like exmaple the battle of wuzhang plain in that TV show had full ranks on boths sides

not one person CG'ed in tht 300k people a chiese tv shoe did that that incuded 20k people dressed ad niman tribel people

but a hollywood movie liek LoTR coudl not get even 1/6 of that in exrats ofr helms deep battle

when in fact it was a battle with no dragons or mumakill in it and niman tibel war paint that was used in san gou is not to dismiiler to the make up used for uaku hai in LoTR's
oh, u refer on that climax battle at two tower, I totally think that was another adaptation lmao. But it did look good? That 300k tv drama? There corelation with quality?

I don't see/have problem on that choice in two tower as it went smoothly imo as an epic war. It matter of choice and did they can handle the lot of detail, controlling lot extras, more budget, more time etc.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7587 by SilentAssassin88 »»
3 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3387 by SilentAssassin88 »»
3 hours ago

» This is one the most gay music vids i have seen^^

tsukareru - 6 hours ago

0 by tsukareru »»
6 hours ago

» BEST WEEZER SONG???

removed-user - Jan 29

5 by Eternal_Rest »»
8 hours ago

» What sort of songs do you listen to ? ( 1 2 )

scarydragon - Aug 1, 2023

52 by Eternal_Rest »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.